QW is the most over rated defensive lineman in the NFL

hmhertz

41 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

. I can see the JFM contract being a problem down the line but we’ll have to live with it and hope he starts making plays. 

JFM contract is really only a one year extension with a series of team options.  If he does not perfrom, he can be cut with $1.2M dead money after 2022.  On the surface, a 4-year $55M extension sounds like a lot, but there is very little guaranteed money after 2022.  2023 salary guarantees beginning of '23 league year and 24 & 25 are not guaranteed at all.  It is an easy out if he disappoints.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I have been on the Q is a bust wagon since he put on our hat walking out to the stage, but being fair, he IS on pace for a 10+ sack season. 

I think we would all be happy with that. 

Yes, but he doesn't have any Forced Fumbles, has just 5 TFLs, 9 QB Hits, 1 QB Hurry, 4 QB Knockdowns and 10 QB Pressures. 

Compare those numbers to the following other DT's:

• Javon Hargrave, PHI (2016 3rd round pick):  6.0 Sacks, 1 FF, 7 TFLs, 11 QB Hits, 3 QB Hurries, 6 QB Knockdowns, 15 QB Pressures
  • Jonathan Allen, WFT (2017 # 17 overall pick):  6.0 Sacks, 8 TFLs, 19 QB Hits, 4 QB Hurries, 9 QB Knockdowns, 19 QB Pressures
  • Jeffrey Simmons, TEN (2019 # 19 overall pick):  5.5 Sacks, 7 TFLs, 11 QB Hits, 4 QB Hurries, 4 QB Knockdowns, 14 QB Pressures
  • Leonard Williams, NYG (2015 # 6 overall pick):  5.5 Sacks, 1 FF, 4 TFLs, 10 QB Hits, 2 QB Hurries, 5 QB Knockdowns, 14 QB Pressures

Tack on Aaron Donald and basically QW is producing like the 6th best DT in the NFL right now.  And none of the guys out-producing him were top 5 picks in the draft.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, hmhertz said:

Don't pay him, he's a loafer. Guys like Donald, Simmons, Allen and even Autry chase

the play as if the hair on their nuts were on fire, Quinnen's slow jog is pathetic. If you

thought  Muhammed's effort after putting his John Hancock on a contract was grand larceny,

don't give this slacker a chance to pull a Bernie Madoff on the Jets organization

He commands double teams the entire time hes out there. He definitely needs to improve against the run.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I mean he’s on pace for close to 10 sacks. So many holes on this team to sorry about replacing/filling I don’t think he’s one of them. 

No one is talking about replacing him yet, since his current deal doesn't expire until after the 2022 season.  But are you handing him a $10.3M+ 5th year option for 2023?  And/or a contract extension?

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

QW in 8 games this year 

4.5 sacks

32 tackles

5 TFL

9 QB Hits

Us:  What a bum!

He's a bit of a quiet, understated guy.... but he performs in my opinion.

Don't forget that some fans are enamored and want to dump money on non-performers if they are animated, dancing self promoters.  Maybe QW's problem is that he doesn't have the jiggle that Jamal has after he makes a play?

Russell Wilson Football GIF by Seattle Seahawks

This thread should really be about JFM.

money run GIF by Juan Billy

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I mean he’s on pace for close to 10 sacks. So many holes on this team to sorry about replacing/filling I don’t think he’s one of them. 

Agreed.

Quinnen Williams is playing good football, certainly not dominant like I think he can be, but good.  He has the ability to be great.  

Letting him walk in a couple of years would be a big mistake.  They’ll just have to use more capital on the interior DL…. which we all absolutely HATE!

There is a chance that if the Jets do let him walk, we watch him become James Farrior or Demario Davis elsewhere.

The Jets need to build a culture.  QW can be a part of it.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Is having the 6th best DT in the NFL a bad thing?

QW can't really control where he's drafted.

No, but as I pointed out a couple times earlier in the thread, Douglas has a decision to make on QW’s $10.3M (or more) 5th year option (deadline in May 2022) and/or extension soon.  So QW being merely the 6th best DT (or so) certainly will have an impact on those decisions. 

And we all know highly drafted players command (or attempt to command) elite salaries for their positions.  So where he was drafted matters too, even though Douglas didn’t pick him.  

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No, but as I pointed out a couple times earlier in the thread, Douglas has a decision to make on QW’s $10.3M (or more) 5th year option (deadline in May 2022) and/or extension soon.  So QW being merely the 6th best DT (or so) certainly will have an impact on those decisions. 

And we all know highly drafted players command (or attempt to command) elite salaries for their positions.  So where he was drafted matters too, even though Douglas didn’t pick him.  

Being the 6th best DT at $10 million is a solid deal especially if he hits double digit sacks. This is a hard choice for JD who might have to pay Q $15-20 million per after the rookie contract. Is a DT that consistently ranks in the top 10 at his position worth the money? I really can’t answer that currently as the defense just fails spectacularly.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He reminds me of mo wilkerson to be honest.  Great talent but very inconsistent.  In theory he should be flourishing in a 4-3.

I do think he and the rest of our dline are being hampered by a non adjustable scheme.  I just hated the way we were line up on D last game.

THAT is the kiss of death.  I hated the way MW played. Mostly garbage sacks to pad stats. He was visually slow…

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Being so the 6th best DT at $10 million is a solid deal especially if he hits double digit sacks. This is a hard choice for JD who might have to pay Q $15-20 million per after the rookie contract. Is a DT that consistently ranks in the top 10 at his position worth the money? I really can’t answer that currently as the defense just fails spectacularly.

But is Quinnen really a top 6 DT.  Donald, Cox, Calais Campbell, Kenny Clark, Cameron Heyward immediately come to mind as top 5.  Don't thik he is the best of the rest.  10 - 12 maybe.  DeForest Buckner, Leo, A'Shawn Robinson, Grady Jarrett, Akem Hicks -- Quinnen is in the discussion with these guys and probably a few others I am not thnking of.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Don't pay him, he's a loafer. Guys like Donald, Simmons, Allen and even Autry chase

the play as if the hair on their nuts were on fire, Quinnen's slow jog is pathetic. If you

thought  Muhammed's effort after putting his John Hancock on a contract was grand larceny,

don't give this slacker a chance to pull a Bernie Madoff on the Jets organization

444131250-02ce357d82e39fe0b97eaa583110f8

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Agreed.

Quinnen Williams is playing good football, certainly not dominant like I think he can be, but good.  He has the ability to be great.  

Letting him walk in a couple of years would be a big mistake.  They’ll just have to use more capital on the interior DL…. which we all absolutely HATE!

There is a chance that if the Jets do let him walk, we watch him become James Farrior or Demario Davis elsewhere.

D Davis, never thought he was so great, he was a good player then went elsewhere and found a team willing to use him right, just like vilma. 

ANyway Q is a stud and hopefully we will get more out of him. If lawson was playing he would be having a muhc better games.

I dont mind paying him the money, he is one of our good guys. Another poster said it you have tp pay someone sometime and after Meyers he seems liek a good guy to pay. He is no slouch

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Lith said:

But is Quinnen really a top 6 DT.  Donald, Cox, Calais Campbell, Kenny Clark, Cameron Heyward immediately come to mind as top 5.  Don't thik he is the best of the rest.  10 - 12 maybe.  DeForest Buckner, Leo, A'Shawn Robinson, Grady Jarrett, Akem Hicks -- Quinnen is in the discussion with these guys and probably a few others I am not thnking of.  

I think he’s in the discussion of being in that second tier behind Donald, Cox, Campbell with room for improvement. Does that mean I would pay him what he’s gonna demand? Probably not but I think I can understand the team trying to extend him. Generally tho this team is best with Quinnen and Fatukasi on the field. How good that pairing is and how important they are to long term success is where we evaluate JD’s asset management. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

QW in 8 games this year 

4.5 sacks

32 tackles

5 TFL

9 QB Hits

Us:  What a bum!

Where is a the hate on QW coming from?  Guy is legitimately good and a foundational piece.  He deserves a big payday when his time comes.

DT’s aren’t going to get a sack every game. Sheldon Rankins is actually the guy who is getting run at, him and Nate Shepherd have been awful against the run.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

again we need to think about his up and coming contract. 

will he want Leo type money at 63 mil for 3 years? is he worth that? 

if JD gets a trade offer of a #1 pick and more does he take it or pay the 63 mil? 

it would have been nice to see if Lawson would have upped his play.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Agreed.

Farrior & Davis were and are all out effort players, QW isn't that's the difference!

26 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I think he’s in the discussion of being in that second tier behind Donald, Cox, Campbell with room for improvement. Does that mean I would pay him what he’s gonna demand? Probably not but I think I can understand the team trying to extend him. Generally tho this team is best with Quinnen and Fatukasi on the field. How good that pairing is and how important they are to long term success is where we evaluate JD’s asset management. 

I am not against extending him, at the right price.  For now, I would assume we pick up his 5th year option and worry about extending him after next season, depending on how he plays next year and a half.  I expected more out of him than we have gotten so far, but that does not mean he does not have value.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

If I was a GM, unfortunately I have to strongly consider using first round for good DL, because history has shown that paying them is a fool’s errand-once you pay these guys, they stop producing.

There are some freaks of nature/work ethic who you pay and they keep producing, like Aaron Donald, but QW does not appear to be one of them.   He is a good, solid player. 

Do you give him a JFM like contract that is effectively a 1 year guarantee but looks him in for a high but fair salary if he performs?  Yes, I would.  Would I do that potentially early while he is still under rookie contract?  Probably.  Would I guaranteed him more than 2 years at a high salary or pay him a big signing bonus?  Nope.  Locking him up with team options is the right option, because he would be nice not to have to use draft picks for another DL.  But if there is a beast there when the Jets pick, the Jets are better off using the QW on a FA OL or WR.  

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, vtbx said:

If Quinnen played as hard as Quincy, he would be an All-Pro.

Excellent point.  I rewatched the game in compressed format so couldn’t make out the uniform numbers quick enough but if not mistaken I could swear I saw Quincy Williams blow up 3-4 special team plays with monster hits.  Could be wrong but that’s what it looked like. 

46 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Excellent point.  I rewatched the game in compressed format so couldn’t make out the uniform numbers quick enough but if not mistaken I could swear I saw Quincy Williams blow up 3-4 special team plays with monster hits.  Could be wrong but that’s what it looked like. 

Quincy nailed 2 kick returners but one of him he absolutely destroyed.  Dead stopped in his tracks.