Becton Thread from last season

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

actually, i think what may have happened this year is, becton knew the coaches weren’t giving him his LT job back b/c fant was playing well and they valued the better pass blocker over the better run blocker.  So my guess is, becton knew he had been Wally pipped and mailed it in.  I’m also guessing, with no knowledge, that they may have even approached him with the idea of playing RT and he rejected it. 

If there is a team in the NFL that would give us a 3rd round pick or better for this clown and we had the opportunity to replace him with Neal, we should do that in a second.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

If there is a team in the NFL that would give us a 3rd round pick or better for this clown and we had the opportunity to replace him with Neal, we should do that in a second.  

3rd round pick? Lol. Geesh. 

Take one of Phillys first round picks and call it a day. Get this big child off the team already. Fant can hold it down. 

12 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

3rd round pick? Lol. Geesh. 

Take one of Phillys first round picks and call it a day. Get this big child off the team already. Fant can hold it down. 

No one is giving you a 1st round pick for damaged goods that shouldn't have been drafted in the first round in the first place.

I think a 3rd would be tough to get right now. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Zachtomims47 said:

A LT with potential on his rookie deal? Teams would line up. 

Not for one that missed an entire season on a 4-6 week injury.  Any team would use that 1st round pick on a new LT in the draft.

It's one thing if Becton was playing at an elite level when he got hurt - he wasn't.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’m honestly not sure. There are weeks where I would agree with you, but I also think this is a ridiculously young team (leading the NFL in rookie minutes this season by a considerable margin) that just makes a lot of mistakes, has players playing out of position on defense because of lack of talent/depth/injuries, and has a green coaching staff that is just learning how to prepare for games. I’m not convinced the coaching issues this year are motivation-related. 

The other problem is, Gase’s teams got blown out like they got off on that sh*t. So, even if you were right about Saleh’s staff having player motivation issues, why would you bring up master motivator Gase? 

I’m just pointing to Gase because he is not renowned for his great motivational skills and Saleh is allegedly a great motivator, but Gase—-even in a comically bad year—was able to squeeze production out of Mims and Becton while Saleh has gotten zilch from either guy. It’s a curious red flag is all. Some head coaches—especially guys who were assistants and never the head man—have difficulty comprehending that the buck stops with them, and aren’t comfortable with being the disciplinarian that a head coach needs to be. I’m positing that what we’re seeing is Saleh (and LaFleur and Ulbrich) trying to sort out whose job it is to lower the hammer on guys who need it, and it’s something he needs to learn. Quickly. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

actually, i think what may have happened this year is, becton knew the coaches weren’t giving him his LT job back b/c fant was playing well and they valued the better pass blocker over the better run blocker.  So my guess is, becton knew he had been Wally pipped and mailed it in.  I’m also guessing, with no knowledge, that they may have even approached him with the idea of playing RT and he rejected it. 

I think if it had reached that level of insubordination, they would have suspended him. No coaching staff would have tolerated that sh*t.

38 minutes ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Way to misinterpret. Lol

Who said the entire class? Not much up in the attic for arithmetic, huh?

Hall is starting at CB and a solid #2 CB on any other team.

Ashtyn Davis is getting reps and has contributed as a starter. He needs to improve.

Mann is a starter & solid punter. He’s still recovering, IMO, from the injury on his plant (left) leg from game 1.

Zuniga & Clarke can be thrown into the scrap heap with Becton, Mims, and Perine. I hope for them to improve, but I’m having my doubts. I just won’t hold JD to the fire as much as others will I. Regards to this specific 2020 draft class. 

3/8 ain’t great but we’ve had worse, as have several other teams. As stated before, and repeated due to your lack of reading comprehension, the 2020 COVID NFL draft class is a mulligan, IMO, because of the inability to thoroughly evaluate prospects unlike other years due to COVID protocols and travel limitations  

Davis is bad. Just an awful tackler. He is a back up/rotational guy at best.

Mann is not a good punter. We have had 3 people punt for us this season, and he was comfortably the worst one. This coming off his rookie season where he was near the bottom of the league. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

he played part of one game dude

I'm not talking about this year.

I'm talking about last year.  It was an up and down rookie year - with plenty of questions marks.

I guess it's fine if you want to think someone would trade a 1st round pick for a 3rd year LT that missed an entire season on a 4-6 week injury - instead of simply drafting one with that pick.

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I wonder how may GM's would have taken Becton over Wirfs? 

I would imagine a lot.

Two took Andrew Thomas and Jedrick Wills over him and many thougth Becton > Wirfs after their rookie year.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/31789857/ranking-nfl-top-10-offensive-tackles-2021-execs-coaches-players-make-their-picks

This is in the preseason. Becton was ranked 6th of all OTs in the NFL ahead of Wirfs.

The draft isn't that easy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not talking about this year.

I'm talking about last year.  It was an up and down rookie year - with plenty of questions marks.

I guess it's fine if you want to think someone would trade a 1st round pick for a 3rd year LT that missed an entire season on a 4-6 week injury - instead of simply drafting one with that pick.

I doubt we would trade him but if we did JD would get 2 first round picks and the opposing GM's first grandson.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Becton is the biggest question mark going into the offseason. Whatever we think of Wilson, we know we're not drafting a quarterback this year. 

Are we spending another high pick on a tackle? Unfortunately I still don't know after reading that.

They should extend Fant and move Becton to RT. Those are both players' natural positions.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

Fine with me.  He hasn't been durable enough to play LT.  I'd much rather let him be a road-grading RT and not worry about this weight as long as Fant is playing well.

I've seen this type of comment more than a few times.  I don't get it.  Why would he be durable enough to play RT if he can't stay healthy at LT? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jets1958 said:

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

LT Mekhi Becton (knee) is done for the year, "barring a miracle," per Robert Saleh. What happened? He was supposed to return in 6-8 weeks after Week 2 surgery/clean-up. Saleh: "He's a very big man. Everyone heals a little bit differently… It didn't go the way everyone expected." Saleh admitted they under-estimated his return date, insisting "there was no bad surgery, no bad rehab process, no ill intent on his part." He said it's a big offseason for Becton.

Is this Cimini's attempt at humor?

22 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if it had reached that level of insubordination, they would have suspended him. No coaching staff would have tolerated that sh*t.

not insubordination, just a bad attitude.  The same bad attitude that felled mims.  Two high draft picks who the new coaching staff didn’t want.  Two guys who legitimately lost their roles on the team and did nothing to change the coaches’ perception of them.  

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Terrible pick. Sets the franchise back. Joe Douglas ****ed up and the guy he passed on is likely to be a perennial pro-bowler and we're left trying to figure out where Big Raincheck *might* do best for three games next year. 

In hindsight you might be right... however the need for LT far outweighed the one for RT. Wirfs is not playing LT, and GASE needed someone to protect Darnold. Now in the new offensive system, seems that Becton might not be a good fit. I don't think he'll ever be a 340lb dude, so unless he can come in at 350 next year and in the shape of his life, I'm not sure of his future here either. ML just proved Fant handled the position just fine.