Becton Thread from last season

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

he was? because his pass blocking wasn't even all that good. he was only a good run blocker

This is just untrue. He had a few rough starts, hardly uncommon for a rawer, rookie LT. In most starts he was above average in pass blocking.

This year was a total loss with Becton, but he'll be starting for the Jets next season. I see no need to move/demote Fant to RT, though.

I do think they'll go with more than a McDermott type as the OT3, and with neither Fant nor Becton costing crazy money it's something they can easily fit again. Another ~$4MM veteran RT like Moses was, since both Fant and Becton can legitimately play LT.

Too early to tell what they'll do re: C/RG, but they'll be heavily leaning towards bringing back McGovern at C. They may draft his replacement as early as day 2, but higher than that seems unlikely. Some are really over-valuing the center position with suggestions of using a top 10 pick that'll never happen.

• Upvote 4

I know this is crazy... But isn't it possible that Saleh is telling the truth and Mekhi's leg just took longer to heal despite everyone's best efforts?

See a lot of conflating of his injury recovery with his merits in the draft and his performance last year - the later two are debatable (though I'd argue different themselves) and the former really only he and his doc know. For example, he could have been lights out last year (subjective plenty of media thought he was great) and awesome this training camp (consensus he wasn't) and still just had a slower recovery then projected because no one knows how a body his size heels given low sample? Would be still get this stick then?

ron burgundy GIF

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

He messaged me directly asking for the link.  I suspect he’ll make good on this.

Cool beans. 

Let him know it's not like this is a dire situation. Just ragging on him a bit in good fun. 

Hell toss it towards a JetNation outting and buy some beers for people. 

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

In hindsight you might be right... however the need for LT far outweighed the one for RT. Wirfs is not playing LT, and GASE needed someone to protect Darnold. Now in the new offensive system, seems that Becton might not be a good fit. I don't think he'll ever be a 340lb dude, so unless he can come in at 350 next year and in the shape of his life, I'm not sure of his future here either. ML just proved Fant handled the position just fine. 

Nope. No hindsight necessary. I'm absolutely positive you could find posts from myself and others on draft night saying why didn't we take Wirfs? Dude broke the bench press record at Iowa. An o-line factory. I said at the time, I guess I'll defer to JD's knowledge. Now I know better. I was all in on Fant. 

Matter of fact, we should just do what I want all the time. ?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Easy to spend your money on that when you have the blanket of protection of the world’s greatest military force as your next door neighbor.  Not to mention a population of just 38 million people.

Sleep tight, Canadiens, and enjoy your hockey and the cheap and safe living arrangement!

I hear the strip joints in Canada are spectacular 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

I know this is crazy... But isn't it possible that Saleh is telling the truth and Mekhi's leg just took longer to heal despite everyone's best efforts?

See a lot of conflating of his injury recovery with his merits in the draft and his performance last year - the later two are debatable (though I'd argue different themselves) and the former really only he and his doc know. For example, he could have been lights out last year (subjective plenty of media thought he was great) and awesome this training camp (consensus he wasn't) and still just had a slower recovery then projected because no one knows how a body his size heels given low sample? Would be still get this stick then?

ron burgundy GIF

I know plenty of people who have taken way longer to heal from similar injuries. Sure, they didn't have access to the kind of care an NFL starter has. Just because somebody says he should be healed in X weeks doesn't mean he's absolutely ready to get down in that position and have another 250-300lb dude crash into him all week in that. We also don't know if the team undersold the injury to make teams down the schedule spend time preparing for multiple OL rosters. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is just untrue. He had a few rough starts, hardly uncommon for a rawer, rookie LT. In most starts he was above average in pass blocking.

This year was a total loss with Becton, but he'll be starting for the Jets next season. I see no need to move/demote Fant to RT, though.

I do think they'll go with more than a McDermott type as the OT3, and with neither Fant nor Becton costing crazy money it's something they can easily fit again. Another ~$4MM veteran RT like Moses was, since both Fant and Becton can legitimately play LT.

Too early to tell what they'll do re: C/RG, but they'll be heavily leaning towards bringing back McGovern at C. They may draft his replacement as early as day 2, but higher than that seems unlikely. Some are really over-valuing the center position with suggestions of using a top 10 pick that'll never happen.

He didn't even give up a sack until like week 10 or something like that last year

I guess McCaffrey is fat, lazy and not motivated to play football after missing half the season with a minor hamstring injury.  It can't be that some injuries take longer to heal than expected, right?  Becton was a consensus top rookie last season. What happened since then to make him a bust?  I just don't understand the negativity.  I have seen or heard nothing to indicate that this is anything more than a longer than expected recovery.  I think too many of you are still stuck on the narrative pushed by "experts" such as Dick Cimini (who never has written a good thing about the Jets and constantly drums up BS preseason controversy)  and DJ Bien-Aime (who is just terrible ) that he had a horrible training camp and lost the ability to block between last December and July.  How about we see how this develops over the next 6 months before trading or cutting him?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I guess McCaffrey is fat, lazy and not motivated to play football after missing half the season with a minor hamstring injury.  It can't be that some injuries take longer to heal than expected, right?  Becton was a consensus top rookie last season. What happened since then to make him a bust?  I just don't understand the negativity.  I have seen or heard nothing to indicate that this is anything more than a longer than expected recovery.  I think too many of you are still stuck on the narrative pushed by "experts" such as Dick Cimini (who never has written a good thing about the Jets and constantly drums up BS preseason controversy)  and DJ Bien-Aime (who is just terrible ) that he had a horrible training camp and lost the ability to block between last December and July.  How about we see how this develops over the next 6 months before trading or cutting him?

Mccafrey has been a walking injury since he started getting his johnson tugged by Olivia Culpa.

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I guess McCaffrey is fat, lazy and not motivated to play football after missing half the season with a minor hamstring injury.  It can't be that some injuries take longer to heal than expected, right?  Becton was a consensus top rookie last season. What happened since then to make him a bust?  I just don't understand the negativity.  I have seen or heard nothing to indicate that this is anything more than a longer than expected recovery.  I think too many of you are still stuck on the narrative pushed by "experts" such as Dick Cimini (who never has written a good thing about the Jets and constantly drums up BS preseason controversy)  and DJ Bien-Aime (who is just terrible ).  How about we see how this develops over the next 6 months before trading or cutting him?

He came into the season fighting off plantar faciitus (which is incredibly painful, I developed it training for a triathlon and had to shut down for a month plus and Bechton’s leg weighs as much as me) and then dislocated his kneecap, tore cartilage and had surgery. 4-8 weeks just as easily been a prognosis of 4-20 weeks. Yet some doctors here are giving out their own prognoses with zero personal knowledge and putting forth guesses months ago as facts they KNEW. And want to be congratulated for it. 

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

He came into the season fighting off plantar faciitus (which is incredibly painful, I developed it training for a triathlon and had to shut down for a month plus and Bechton’s leg weighs as much as me) and then dislocated his kneecap, tore cartilage and had surgery. 4-8 weeks just as easily been a prognosis of 4-20 weeks. Yet some doctors here are giving out their own prognoses with zero personal knowledge and putting forth guesses months ago as facts they KNEW. And want to be congratulated for it. 

4-8 weeks could just as easily have been a prognosis of 420 pounds.

Both Leveon Bell and CJ Mosley skipped a year for different reasons, and when they came back, they simply were not the same players. On Becton´s case, we didn´t fully get to see his potential. I am sure we all could at least agree that Becton when he returns will not play well. The Jets deserve to get someone else for the LT spot, and Becton should fight it out for the RT spot, if, big "if", healthy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

• I remember the 2020 Draft vividly.  Wirfs set the Iowa weight room records and was a great prospect.  His arms were kind of short.  People thought he would have to play G, maybe RT. The Jets needed a LT. Becton had a LT profile, obviously great attributes but some negatives.  JD rolled the dice on the upside on Becton. 
  • Becton worked his tail off preparing for the draft.  He was in great shape.  He had some great positives his rookie year.   Had some odd moments pulling himself out of games, and he got hurt a lot, but it was an overall rookie positive. 
  • The Jets changed coaches and conditioning staff, and there was obviously disruption.   It would appear to me that Becton showed up to off season periods, mini-camp, training camp in terrible physical condition.  He got beat like a drum by Lawson, Preston Smith and others.
  • He got hurt in a “fluke” injury (that no one else on the OL has suffered this year) and did not meet his recovery expectations.
  • In Becton’s absence, Fant has done a very good at LT.   I do not think the Jets’ CS has discussed with Becton a move to RT.  But they can read, and he think Becton has a smart team.  They see the writing on the walls, and the lower paycheck in 2014-2015. 
  • Becton still has potential to contribute to the Jets.  I don’t think he can be trusted to be T2 without a real T3 (like the Jets entered the season at G).  

So to me we try to give Becton a chance but need a Plan B.  If the BPA at 4 is Neal, I think the Jets have to serious consider taking him. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Nope. No hindsight necessary. I'm absolutely positive you could find posts from myself and others on draft night saying why didn't we take Wirfs? Dude broke the bench press record at Iowa. An o-line factory. I said at the time, I guess I'll defer to JD's knowledge. Now I know better. I was all in on Fant. 

Matter of fact, we should just do what I want all the time. ?

Wasn't doubting you liked Wirfs... I think lots of us did. You just also pointed out why we need to draft Linderbaum ?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Wasn't doubting you liked Wirfs... I think lots of us did. You just also pointed out why we need to draft Linderbaum ?

A likely future top NFL C was drafted last year in the bottom of the second round.  

I think Linderbaum has a good PR agent. 

6 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Guys that don’t fit their “scheme” they (coaching staff) are unwilling to coach up and develop and just stick them in the doghouse: aka Mims 

And what does this mean?  
You think the issue is the CS didn’t want Becton playing?

2 hours ago, varjet said:
  • In Becton’s absence, Fant has done a very good at LT.   I do not think the Jets’ CS has discussed with Becton a move to RT.  But they can read, and he think Becton has a smart team.  They see the writing on the walls, and the lower paycheck in 2014-2015. 

1st of all, what?
2nd of all what year are we currently in?

forgive me I am quite stoned.