LaFleur on Michael Carter

28 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Carter is a very good one, but I don't see the need for a RB in the 2nd round. This team needs other positions in the 2nd more than RB.

I agree. Carter, who some made fun of in the beginning of the season, is a great pick up. I am not sure we should even draft a RB - too many other holes to fill. Drafting more OL will help running game more.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

We might honestly have 6 contributing players and a few stars from this one draft. That is akin to that stellar draft that the Saints had that turned their whole franchise around. I'm trying to remember what year that was but I remember watching a show about it. Honestly if you have a draft like this, a few good players the year before, 2-3 players the year after it can really set the foundation of a solid team for years to come. 

• Round 1, Pick 2: QB Zach Wilson.- TBD
  • Round 1, Pick 14: OL Alijah Vera-Tucker. - Good player
  • Round 2, Pick 34: WR Elijah Moore.- Good player
  • Round 4, Pick 107: RB Michael Carter.- Good player
  • Round 5, Pick 146: LB Jamien Sherwood. - Probably trash
  • Round 5, Pick 154: CB Michael Carter II. - Good player
  • Round 5, Pick 175: CB Jason Pinnock.- Good potential
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

We might honestly have 6 contributing players and a few stars from this one draft. That is akin to that stellar draft that the Saints had that turned their whole franchise around. I'm trying to remember what year that was but I remember watching a show about it. Honestly if you have a draft like this, a few good players the year before, 2-3 players the year after it can really set the foundation of a solid team for years to come. 

• Round 1, Pick 2: QB Zach Wilson.- TBD
  • Round 1, Pick 14: OL Alijah Vera-Tucker. - Good player
  • Round 2, Pick 34: WR Elijah Moore.- Good player
  • Round 4, Pick 107: RB Michael Carter.- Good player
  • Round 5, Pick 146: LB Jamien Sherwood. - Probably trash
  • Round 5, Pick 154: CB Michael Carter II. - Good player
  • Round 5, Pick 175: CB Jason Pinnock.- Good potential

Sherwood trash?  Based on what?

I saw this kid play against my Canes and he made our defense look like a pop Warner team. He ran all over us,his Oline open the holes and he was gone! I knew the moment we drafted him he was going to be a star if he stayed healthy.
When we finally have the offensive line totally together, he is going to put fear in opposing defenses. Which in turn will open up our passing game big time.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Carter is a very good one, but I don't see the need for a RB in the 2nd round. This team needs other positions in the 2nd more than RB.

I understand what u are saying, but they need a bigger back to pair w/ carter.  Tevin coleman is not that guy.

I think taking the best rb in the draft at that spot is much better then say the 5th best pass rusher.

12 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Sherwood trash?  Based on what?

ok lets go in the other direction......he has played in 5 games and has 8 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 int's this season...basically nothing.

What makes you think it is NOT more likely to be trash v treasure?

He was nothing more than a lottery ticket to begin with, there is nothing he has done to make anyone think otherwise. Rookie drafted late have no benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I understand what u are saying, but they need a bigger back to pair w/ carter.  Tevin coleman is not that guy.

I think taking the best rb in the draft at that spot much better then say the 5th best pass rusher.

Id be surprised if JD valued RB enough to take one that early. Seems like he wouldn’t 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Agreed..... there are exceptional talents at the RB position who were late round picks or even UDFA. 

RB, Safeties, OL and a big ugly DT's like Snacks Harrison will be around after Round 3.

Edge, #1 WR, TE and another Edge with first 4 picks. Get after the Qb and support your young franchise Qb.

It's as simple as that.

I'm fine with this draft, but I would prefer to see if Atlanta (9), WFT(10), Denver(11) or Pittsburgh(15) would like to jump Carolina for QB Pickett and we take Linderbaum

NFL MOCK DRAFT
ROUND 1

Round 1 - Pick 1

OREGON • SOPH • 6'5" / 258 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Jacksonville
PROSPECT RNK
2nd
POSITION RNK
1st

Despite the selection of K'Lavon Chaisson a few years ago, Jacksonville should not be spooked by the concept of taking Thibodeaux to pair with Josh Allen. He offers more pass-rush upside. The Jaguars simply need to add talent to the roster and pass rush could become a strength for that franchise.
Round 1 - Pick 2

MICHIGAN • SR • 6'6" / 265 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Detroit
PROSPECT RNK
7th
POSITION RNK
3rd

Dan Campbell has openly created a culture of toughness and physicality. Hutchinson serves that interest. Born, raised and developed in Michigan, Hutchinson would elevate those expectations and form a formidable tandem with Romeo Okwara.
Round 1 - Pick 3

LSU • JR • 6'1" / 195 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
Houston
PROSPECT RNK
3rd
POSITION RNK
1st

Houston could go in a number of directions with the current state of its roster. Will they give Davis Mills another year? Will David Culley be back? There are so many balls in the air for that franchise this offseason. The decision to take an offensive lineman or a cornerback is peanuts relative to the larger narratives.
Round 1 - Pick 4

PURDUE • JR • 6'4" / 275 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
N.Y. Jets
PROSPECT RNK
6th
POSITION RNK
2nd

A run on edge rushers forced New York to address the edge rusher position prior to the Giants coming on the clock. Karlaftis is a mature defender that can fit run gaps and win with heavy hands.
Round 1 - Pick 5

NC STATE • SOPH • 6'4" / 320 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
N.Y. Giants
PROSPECT RNK
12th
POSITION RNK
1st

Ekwonu has the versatility to play offensive tackle or slide inside to guard. His positioning allows New York to try Matt Peart at right tackle full-time in the absence of Nate Solder. Ideally, Peart sticks there and Ekwonu moves to guard but, in the event it does not, they have options.
   From Seattle Seahawks
Round 1 - Pick 6

Evan Neal OL
ALABAMA • JR • 6'7" / 350 LBS
PROJECTED TEAM
N.Y. Jets
PROSPECT RNK
4th
POSITION RNK
1st

Mekhi Becton and Neal would have to be the largest set of bookend tackles in the NFL. Their sheer size complicates the path in which defenders can take to the quarterback. The Jets want to be a team that can lean on the offensive line in critical situations.
  • Sympathy 2

Carter's first 6 games: 58-202 rushing.  3.48 yards per carry. 17-131 receiving. 7.71 yards per catch. 55.5 total yards per game.
Carter's last 6 games: 77-364 rushing 4.73 yards per carry.  18-185 receiving, 10.28 yards per catch.  91 total yards per game

Exactly what you want to see from a rookie, improvement over the course of the first season.  I am excited to see what he does in his second year.

• Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

Carter's first 6 games: 58-202 rushing.  3.48 yards per carry. 17-131 receiving. 7.71 yards per catch. 55.5 total yards per game.
Carter's last 6 games: 77-364 rushing 4.73 yards per carry.  18-185 receiving, 10.28 yards per catch.  91 total yards per game

Exactly what you want to see from a rookie, improvement over the course of the first season.  I am excited to see what he does in his second year.

Probably has a lot to do with everyone getting up to speed on the blocking scheme too. Carter has a special ability to make yards after contact though.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, Larz said:

Don’t want to trigger people, I’m responding to your comment about falling forward and getting extra yards, that specifically reminds me of Curtis Martin 

lol what??

That is not at all what Curtis Martin looked like, regularly bouncing off would-be tacklers like an electron.

Martin had a decently-quick first cut through a hole when it was there - rarely missing one when it appeared to dance around hoping for a larger gainer (which Carter does do sometimes, incidentally) - plus he had tremendous endurance. But breaking multiple tackles and gaining gobs of extra yards after contact, with this frequency, wasn't Martin's thing, though. Probably in no small part a good amount of the reason his career ypc was a meh 4.0 despite a career spent behind above average OLs and QBs. 

What an odd analogy, and in the Savage69 NY Jets Forum, no less. Carter doesn't resemble Martin as a runner at all, except that they both run on 2 legs I guess.

I'm sure you can find plenty of career highlight runs among Martin's 4000 touches in an attempt to dispute it (just like one could compile a highlight video of Jamarcus Russell touchdowns if so inclined); but to watch a full random game of his, those types of runs were the exception and not what he'd regularly look like.

He was more often like Star Trek TNG's movie screenplays: down after First Contact

• Thumb Down 1

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The best thing about Carter is anytime he gets hit, he still gets an additional yard or 2.  Its really an amazing attribute to have.

I think we are going to take the best rb in the draft w/ our second 2nd round pick.

We are going to have a ridiculous 1-2 bunch in the backfield next year.

Not only that he seems to not take big hits. He has a potential to be elite.

The best thing about Carter is anytime he gets hit, he still gets an additional yard or 2.  Its really an amazing attribute to have.
I think we are going to take the best rb in the draft w/ our second 2nd round pick.
We are going to have a ridiculous 1-2 bunch in the backfield next year.

I see no reason why he can’t be a number one back. Kid has no weaknesses..great vision and balance..hits the hole quick….catches the ball out of the backfield. I guess you can say we need a short yardage back…but I wouldn’t spend a 2 on one.

2 hours ago, tfine said:

I see no reason why he can’t be a number one back. Kid has no weaknesses..great vision and balance..hits the hole quick….catches the ball out of the backfield. I guess you can say we need a short yardage back…but I wouldn’t spend a 2 on one.

Size.  No need to pound him 20 times a game for 17 weeks.  He wont hold up.

Take spiller in the 2nd round and u have 2 elite backs w/ different skill sets splitting the carries.  Its a no brainer and helps ur qb tremendously.

• Sympathy 2

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think taking the best rb in the draft at that spot is much better then say the 5th best pass rusher.

I don't think we're taking the 5th best pass rusher at that spot... I'm thinking more like the 1st or 2nd best TE