If BUFFALO squibs the kick …….

johnnyjet

23 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I understand the point of the thread....

However, the days of a squib costing a team 3+ seconds seem long gone.

IMO KC would have fielded it on a knee or immediately kneeled. It probably wouldn’t have run any time off the clock unless KC fumbled it.

All it would have done is maybe given KC better field position.

The Bills defense screwed up it as simple as that.. 13 seconds is not enough time on a really great defense, period...

That prevent defense was just terrible. just surrendered 20 yards to Hill on the first play. Kelce got wide open on the second. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Nope

ckock starts only with an attempt to return. You dive on it and give yourself up. I’ve seen it before 

You might be giving yourself up at the 15 yard line and you lose a second or two before it’s called dead. Squib it every time to waste those 6-7 seconds if the other team is foolish enough to return it. 

40 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Kick it in the air to the 5 yard line ??‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yup, similar idea to the squib.  Gets the clock moving and gives a high probability the ball doesn't come past the 25.

I understand Buffalo's thinking there.  If it's a touchback then KC starts at the 25 and has 13 seconds to move the ball 40 yards.... which they basically did in two plays.  The credit really goes to Andy Reid and Mahomes.  They needed two medium yardage plays and nailed them!

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

You might be giving yourself up at the 15 yard line and you lose a second or two before it’s called dead. Squib it every time to waste those 6-7 seconds if the other team is foolish enough to return it. 

You might get it at the 27  Squibs ain’t exact. No time comes off the clock

what if it squibs out of bounds?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Kick it in the air to the 5 yard line ??‍♂️

This is the play. You kick it high and short to the 5-10 yard line. If KC returns it, they run 4-5 seconds off and Mahomes has one play tops.  If KC fair catches the ball, they have an extra 10-15 yards to go to get into FG range.  

• Upvote 3

That’s a more reasonable critique but have we ever seen a team go 45 yards in 2 plays before?  And the kick was good by a lot 

But I was told the Buffalo Bills had the number one defense. Again defenses wear out and the rules favor the offense. Only thing that much matters is getting to the QB ideally with only your front 3 or 4. If you don’t a superior QB will pick you apart.

So pick a safety ; right .

12 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Sure KC would’ve told their players to fall on it but chance instinct kicks in and some special teamer sees an opening and tries to make something happen.

I think GB had something similar happen a few years back - returner was told to take a knee but ran it back and fumbled, something like that?

4 hours ago, Jetluv58 said:

Something tells me he’ll be forgiven. They had a great season.

Poor choice of words. Perhaps inexcusable would be better. And by no means was I implying that anything should be done to the coaches because of it. Buffalo has excellent coaches and I am sure they will learn from the experience.

• Upvote 1

They went into KC and played their asses off.  Allen was incredible.  Mahomes, Hill and Kelce are simply unstoppable when they're on.  Go back to 2018 against New  England.   They scored 24 in the 4th quarter to take it to overtime before not getting a chance in OT to win.  When they're on the D is exhausted they're like a video game. 

11 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

A decent high school coach knows to do that. It simply beggars belief that coaches on the NFL level make such egregious mistakes...clock management is another one. 

isn't there a guy out there that has this experience and just became available?

Might have to supply with him with some tennis balls - but other than that - he is good to go. 

If Hill is back there to return, you kick through the EZ and force the touchback. That wasn't the case. Kicking/squib kicking likely starts the Chiefs at something less than the 25, and also may burn some of the 13s if one of the upbacks bobbles the kick and can't kneel quickly enough to stop play. Catastrophic tactical error on the part of the Bills CS/STs