The fat bald bastid struck out on FA, p!ssed $s away

hmhertz

26 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Not sure how much you can blame Douglas.  This class was emblematic if the unbelievable bad luck this franchise has had with injuries. At some point it has to reverse right?

Gave you a post of the week for "emblematic"

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Not sure how much you can blame Douglas.  This class was emblematic if the unbelievable bad luck this franchise has had with injuries. At some point it has to reverse right?

In the long run it does not matter over a period of 4 years or so if the gm has 'bad luck' each year he is just as fired.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

In the long run it does not matter over a period of 4 years or so if the gm has 'bad luck' each year he is just as fired.

Agree on the long run, I believe it will be fair to judge but in the short run, I think the free agent grade has to be incomplete 

4 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Making your biggest investment in FA on a player with a history of injuries is not bad luck,

it's out and out stupidity!

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

“We see something the rest of the league doesn’t, which is why we pay big money to cast-offs from bad teams.”

Big money??

That list contains illustrious high priced stars like Dan Feeney, Justin Hardee and Tyler Kroft,

Other than Davis and Lawson I wouldn't consider any of them "big money". We spent lots based on quantity, not quality.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, ncjetman said:

sure isn’t a jets fan - not a very bright one in any event

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

HMH certainly is a Jets fan, and a very knowledgeable one at that.

It's just that, while most of us have a love-hate relationship with the Jets, HMH has more of a hate-hate relationship with the Jets.

Every player, coach, owner, official, cheerleader, hot-dog vendor and fan will be treated similarly - they are all equally subject to scorn and ridicule. 

9 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

And the good ones??? Why would they come here???   They ask themselves, who has benefited by becoming a Jet in the last 10 years??

Crickets.  

• Upvote 2

I found this article that acts as a counterpoint to the OP. It looks at all the successes that the FAs we got rid of had this past year.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/lists/how-did-recent-new-york-jets-departures-fare-with-their-new-teams-sam-darnold-breshad-perriman/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0QVLoAYpcbRrLlaQqHrblHXDnuCy7SDLQoZ73jiv0rCOyPuOzp0_xvwAo

In summary of the two articles - got rid of a lot of trash, ended up getting some back in return. I think that sums up FA in general. Maybe a couple of areas that got a bit better, but not night and day.

And people still want us to "spend big" in FA this year?

the big issue is not having an intact oline for just about the whole season.  moses was a good signing.  feeney too because both of these guys filled roles when the starter went down or got moved.  coleman?  he had some good runs and was better than ty johnson.  jarrod davis was a waste. he just didn't show much and seemed to shy away from plays.  cole went through the motions.  corey davis started out strong but seemed to lose interest as the season faded away.  the rest of the guys were mainly jags.  the thing is all teams have players like these otherwise they couldn't pay the big money players.  and these guys look much better on an established team with a good oline and qb.  sometimes people think too much of placeholders.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the big issue is not having an intact oline for just about the whole season.  moses was a good signing.  feeney too because both of these guys filled roles when the starter went down or got moved.  coleman?  he had some good runs and was better than ty johnson.  jarrod davis was a waste. he just didn't show much and seemed to shy away from plays.  cole went through the motions.  corey davis started out strong but seemed to lose interest as the season faded away.  the rest of the guys were mainly jags.  the thing is all teams have players like these otherwise they couldn't pay the big money players.  and these guys look much better on an established team with a good oline and qb.  sometimes people think too much of placeholders.

I wonder how much Davis' core muscle injury affected his play in the weeks prior to him going on IR. I'm guessing he was trying to play through it but it was affecting his play. Hoping he can offer more in 2022 once it is healed up.

It's just that, while most of us have a love-hate relationship with the Jets, HMH has more of a hate-hate relationship with the Jets.
Every player, coach, owner, official, cheerleader, hot-dog vendor and fan will be treated similarly - they are all equally subject to scorn and ridicule. 

he adds zero to this board - zero and he ought to just fade away

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

“We see something the rest of the league doesn’t, which is why we pay big money to cast-offs from bad teams.”

Fant , McGovern and Moses were all free agent signings and played well.  A lot of people here have trashed the Fant signing, now they have selective amnesia and want him re signed.

Davis was a disappointment but that may be a reflection of Wilson’s struggles and then injuries.

Nobody was calling Lawson a bad signing in camp- he looked dominant.  Injuries are part of the NFL unfortunately.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Whether he knows anything or not he is a pretty miserable person and a total buzz kill.

He must get invited to a lot of parties!!

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Free agency in general produces these kind of results.  I’m sure if you go through every teams free agent classes you will find similar results.  Look at all of the free agents from 2021, it’s an abysmal group.  Free agency is a roulette wheel.   

It's also going to continue to look that way as long as the franchise tag and ever-increasing cap keeps growing. I still contend that last year was the one blip where the cap actually was restrictive where there existed some opportunities, but it wasn't anything major that I'm excoriating him for. Whiffing the 2020 draft is a bigger reason why we're not more advanced than we are.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It's also going to continue to look that way as long as the franchise tag and ever-increasing cap keeps growing. I still contend that last year was the one blip where the cap actually was restrictive where there existed some opportunities, but it wasn't anything major that I'm excoriating him for. Whiffing the 2020 draft is a bigger reason why we're not more advanced than we are.

We see it every year, there is a reason these players are allowed to reach free agency.  There are also position groups like Edge, WR, CB and LT that rarely have the quality that is worth paying above market price for.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I read that article and I'm like, "Well duh, no wonder the Jets only won 4 games."

It was a really, really underwhelming contribution from the Jets 2021 Free Agent group as a whole.  Going through that list confirms it.

This is where Douglas has to improve more than any other area. His entire FA class last year was basically on IR this year. We need better contributing FAs and more veterans, in general.