Winners have stars

kmnj

Winning teams have stars they added to their teams via the draft or through free agency . The Jets have none . The reality is the roster is loaded with jags and role players which is why the team can’t win games.  Joe has mostly  chosen to play it safe in free agency in his tenure signing one year deals and average at best players. It was at least good to see he went after Hill This draft Joe needs to get explosive impact game changers with his first two picks . I would argue a wr and an edge rusher are the needs that can have the biggest impact and help us win games. I pray joe does not use these picks on defensive backs . We tried that not too long ago and it failed miserably and both players were moved. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

This is almost getting as bad as when Snell41 was ruining threads with his non-stop Zach Wilson takes. We know what you think, there's no need to keep making threads over it.

Also question: If you were a star NFL player and you wanted to win, would you sign with a franchise that hasn't gone to the playoffs since Rex Ryan was a coach and Mark Sanchez was in the NFL?

• Upvote 1

It’s not like attempts weren’t made to get a couple of big name players in here. They weren’t landed, so they move on now to the draft, and you should move on from acting like a slighted housewife. Stars will come when the Jets stop sucking and that seems to be on the horizon and it will be fun. 

• Upvote 1

The Jets organization can't develop players, period. How many Jalen Reagor-types have they drafted? Not a lot, really. They don't over-draft necessarily. They just can't/rarely develop anyone of note. Culture issue, if I'm being honest. Same as my Rangers consistently not getting up for bad teams for 30+ years. Very much an MSG team issue.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

true

true

I mean, look at what all those big money splashy signings did for us over the last 10 years.

Those weren’t stars, and many here recognized that the moment the players were signed.  They were merely paid star money that their previous teams were very aware weren’t worth that kind of coin. 

Teams rarely let actual stars walk in FA or trade them.  And when they do, those players are able to pick their destinations, meaning they aren’t choosing the Jets.  

25 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

The Jets organization can't develop players, period. How many Jalen Reagor-types have they drafted? Not a lot, really. They don't over-draft necessarily. They just can't/rarely develop anyone of note. Culture issue, if I'm being honest. Same as my Rangers consistently not getting up for bad teams for 30+ years. Very much an MSG team issue.

If this were true, lots of former Jets would go on to lots of success elsewhere.  They don’t.  You can count on one hand the guys who “failed” here and succeeded at a high or even above average level elsewhere over the last 15-20 years.  Farrior, Demario Davis, maybe Leonard Williams….who else?  

The Jets’ primary problem has always been talent evaluation moreso than talent development.  And I’m still amazed that people still try to argue otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those weren’t stars, and many here recognized that the moment the players were signed.  They were merely paid star money that their previous teams were very aware weren’t worth that kind of coin. 

Teams rarely let actual stars walk in FA or trade them.  And when they do, those players are able to pick their destinations, meaning they aren’t choosing the Jets.  

We tend to sign the "imploding" stars rather than the burgeoning ones ... LeVeon Bell WAS a star, but not at the time that we signed him.

The really good teams make their own stars. The wannabe good teams trade for these stars or overpay for them because they don't make their own.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

But do they have cap space tho? We have that cap space brah.

Sexy Cult Leader GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Okay, you’ve posted this a million or so times now. It’s cute and all, but still bull****. Joe Douglas is trying to spend his money but, at the same time, he’s refusing to be the sucker his successors have been. He’s offered the most money in more than a few instances over the last two years only to have the player take less to play anywhere but this godforsaken franchise. If he has to ridiculously overpay -would Thuney have signed with the Jets for $18M/year, or Tyreek for $33M, anyway? I doubt it- then I prefer he choose not to be the schmuck past GMs here have been. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

Winning teams have stars they added to their teams via the draft or through free agency . The Jets have none . The reality is the roster is loaded with jags and role players which is why the team can’t win games.  Joe has mostly  chosen to play it safe in free agency in his tenure signing one year deals and average at best players. It was at least good to see he went after Hill This draft Joe needs to get explosive impact game changers with his first two picks . I would argue a wr and an edge rusher are the needs that can have the biggest impact and help us win games. I pray joe does not use these picks on defensive backs . We tried that not too long ago and it failed miserably and both players were moved. 

So building through the draft and entering year 3 of a rebuild hasn't turned us into Super Bowl contenders yet?  i'm shocked

The Jets are one of the youngest rosters in the league.  Settle down.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Uh yeah.  That’s it.  Hill can’t wait for the Tua deep ball.  

Tua will be gone after this season and Hill will be able to attract a real QB, if necessary.

Meanwhile if Zach Wilson ended up with Tua’s current 2-year stat line we’d have posters here throwing up jizzing gifs left and right, so let’s pump the brakes on the Tua criticism for a minute.  

66 % completions and a 27/15 TD:INT ratio would be the best 2-year performance by a Jet QB in a good while.  Yes, arguably even better than Fitz, thanks to him crashing and burning in that 2nd year.  Tua only receives the level of hate he gets because he isn’t Herbert.

But much like Trubisky was unfairly butchered for not being Mahomes, there’s still certainly a path for QBs like Tua and Trubisky to succeed in the NFL.  

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

we should sign a petition!

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Okay, you’ve posted this a million or so times now. It’s cute and all, but still bull****. Joe Douglas is trying to spend his money but, at the same time, he’s refusing to be the sucker his successors have been. He’s offered the most money in more than a few instances over the last two years only to have the player take less to play anywhere but this godforsaken franchise. If he has to ridiculously overpay -would Thuney have signed with the Jets for $18M/year, or Tyreek for $33M, anyway? I doubt it- then I prefer he choose not to be the schmuck past GMs here have been. 

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

^^^ So bitter that Douglas couldn’t convince any top 10 WRs to come play with Zach Wilson.  Damn you, JD.

I actually really like the job Joe Douglas is doing. When I make fun of fans cheering for cap space I'm not complaining about JD. People who cling to the cap space like it's their own bank account disgust me.

• Upvote 2