For those who think Jeremiah has any insight into Joe D’s thinking…

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

No they’re not. They are taking Sauce or Thibs. And if both are gone, which is remotely possible, then I think JD may even trade back for extra picks. Either way, JD is not taking an OL at 4 or 10. It would be ridiculous for numerous reasons. 1- The OL is SET. JD just spent big bucks on Tomlinson to round out the OL. 2- We have zero pass rush and were run over like wild horses ? ? ? ? ? by many teams last year. And there’s just no telling how effective Lawson will be this year after his injury. Regardless, Saleh wants pass rushers. Period. I can see JD even grabbing another sleeper edge later in the draft. 3- After edge at 4, JD must get a WR or CB. If Thibs is the pick at 4, and Sauce is gone by 10, JD will take Stingley. WR will have to wait. Jd could trade back into 1st round, which I hope he doesn’t, for a WR. There’s a few good ones in round 2 that could be snatched. 

Thibs is too much a gamble at #4 in my opinion. I believe it’s going to be Ekwonu. Ekwonu is an elite talent in a draft that is not full of elite talent. You cannot find anyone close to Ekwonu except Neal who will also be gone by #10. Gardner is very good by all accounts but again the separation from other CBs in this draft is not that great between Gardner and the others. I just can’t believe the Jets will pick a CB at #4 given their philosophy 

JD values OL and DL the most and in this case they have Ekonwu as an elite (“can’t miss”) prospect. That’s the kind of player you take at #4. 

6 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Thibs is too much a gamble at #4 in my opinion. I believe it’s going to be Ekwonu. Ekwonu is an elite talent in a draft that is not full of elite talent. You cannot find anyone close to Ekwonu except Neal who will also be gone by #10. Gardner is very good by all accounts but again the separation from other CBs in this draft is not that great between Gardner and the others. I just can’t believe the Jets will pick a CB at #4 given their philosophy 

JD values OL and DL the most and in this case they have Ekonwu as an elite (“can’t miss”) prospect. That’s the kind of player you take at #4. 

There is nothing elite about Ekwonu. He’s a good prospect who would’ve been the 5th OL taken the year we drafted Becton and the 3rd OL taken last year.

• Upvote 1

A link where he discusses some Jets thoughts…
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/around-the-nfl/id680904259?i=1000557657608

About halfway into this interview, the host presses Jeremiah to say something about the Jets, and Jeremiah makes the following interesting points—
1. Point One: Before mentioning any players that the Jets might want, he says that he’s curious to see how the Jets use this year’s draft capital to set themselves up for next year’s draft, which is new. 

2. Feels that the Jets should just go ahead and take their receiver at 4, even if it’s a perceived reach, because they have to get Zach to play well right now and no pass rusher is going to do that for them. 

3. Jeremiah “loves” London, but feels that Garrett Wilson is head and shoulders the best receiver in the draft because he can do everything. 

4. Says (in support of taking WR over EDGE at 4) that the Jets are probably a six win team regardless, and that their prime imperative is to exit the season feeling like Zach can play, which I would presume ties into his thought that the Jets should try to load up picks in 2023 in the event that they have to replace Zach. 
Right so OL @ 4 and edge @ 10 then
  • Upvote 1

Just now, kdels62 said:

There is nothing elite about Ekwonu. He’s a good prospect who would’ve been the 5th OL taken the year we drafted Becton and the 3rd OL taken last year.

We will have to just disagree. The bust factor for Thibs is there. Much much lower for Ekwonu. Again I only go by what I read - many rate Ekwonu as an a can’t miss elite prospect. 

Just now, Cyberjet said:

We will have to just disagree. The bust factor for Thibs is there. Much much lower for Ekwonu. Again I only go by what I read - many rate Ekwonu as an a can’t miss elite prospect. 

And they’re caught up in the draft hype. 
Ekwonu is less athletic than: Becton, Wirfs, Sewell, Slater and right at the same level as Thomas and Wills. He’s more polished than none of them except Becton. 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/around-the-nfl/id680904259?i=1000557657608

About halfway into this interview, the host presses Jeremiah to say something about the Jets, and Jeremiah makes the following interesting points—

1. Point One: Before mentioning any players that the Jets might want, he says that he’s curious to see how the Jets use this year’s draft capital to set themselves up for next year’s draft, which is new. 

2. Feels that the Jets should just go ahead and take their receiver at 4, even if it’s a perceived reach, because they have to get Zach to play well right now and no pass rusher is going to do that for them. 

3. Jeremiah “loves” London, but feels that Garrett Wilson is head and shoulders the best receiver in the draft because he can do everything. 

4. Says (in support of taking WR over EDGE at 4) that the Jets are probably a six win team regardless, and that their prime imperative is to exit the season feeling like Zach can play, which I would presume ties into his thought that the Jets should try to load up picks in 2023 in the event that they have to replace Zach. 

I don’t think anything in here is new. I think this is what a lot of us have been saying. One, yes, they absolutely need to build around Zach and give him all the weapons they can to help either develop him or determine that he’s not the guy. And two, move some of that cap space and draft capital into next year just in case he isn’t. This is why I’ve been talking about them trading out of #4, as that would be the best opportunity to land a 2023 first rounder while still having plenty of good picks to use this year. 

There’s also been talk of taking the WR at #4 here if there’s a guy they love who they don’t believe will be there at #10. There’s probably better Edge talent available at #10 and in the second round than there will be WR talent. We saw that market explode this year, and that could lead to more of a run on the position in the draft. Personally, I’d prefer WR to just about every other position at #4. I don’t think CB is a premium position in this system, and taking the safety or another OL might just kill me. 

I also think that they still believe in Zach. Or, at the very least, recognize that Zach being the guy is their best case scenario. Barring a complete implosion, though, I don’t see them replacing Wilson. I could, however, see them investing in a better veteran, a borderline starting type QB to push him or take over in 2023 if he’s still just not getting it. If ZW fails, they’ll have to have some sort of QB contingency in place next year if they have any hope of saving their own jobs. The extra money & picks would then come in handy. Also, I think JD is just pragmatic and frugal by nature, and will generally want to have some kind of nest egg available. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

And it would be another 5 years if we did.

i understand that, but there is a time limit on building without results

2019 7 wins

2020 2 wins

2021 4 wins

2022 - 6 wins (projected)

Douglas will now have 2 years on his deal with a 6 win team thats made up completely of his players. What would the expectation be for 2023? 8 wins? and then are you extending him after not being over 500 for 5 years as GM?

Why can the bengals go from 4 wins to the SB and we have to be ok with loosing year in year out because we are winning 6 games instead of 4? the responsibility to build a winning team falls on Joe Douglas, its black and white... he has same amount of money as everyone, he has the same opportunity as everyone, and he is NY/NJ not in Jax. Its a results business.

Anyways, as i said i am a supporter....but everyone should now expect results from Douglas and crew...i am sure they expect it of themselves 4 years in.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, slats said:

Also, I think JD is just pragmatic and frugal by nature, and will generally want to have some kind of nest egg available. 

20 minutes ago, slats said:

Not just Zach, but if they believe that Saleh is coming into his own as a head coach as well. 

Six wins would be ugly. I keep saying, I’m hoping for 7-9-1, just to avoid those double digit losses again. But even at 6, do you just blow it all up again? Do you fire JD but keep Saleh? Do you fire the second head coach in a row after only two years? Who’s gonna be interested in this job after another gut job? Another house cleaning will just solidify the concept of the Jets being a place where careers go to die. Joe negotiated himself a six year deal because he understood that this team was an undertaking, and it seems like the owners are on board with that. You can’t quick fix a team that can’t attract star caliber players. You have to draft and develop some of your own guys, first. I really think there’d have to be no sign of progress, or clear signs of regression, before they considered firing anyone. They’re trying stability for a change. 

The problem is that, right now, 2 1/2 years into the Douglas Era, the Jets are still viewed as a dead-end destination, and that’s unlikely to change anytime soon if, as you suggest, Douglas is going to be a methodical pragmatist. He’s obviously not on the hot seat yet, but I think that changes if we’re sitting here in last place in December with Wilson looking even average-to-middling. I’m not anti-Douglas, but I think he made a mistake shooting his shot with Zach Wilson, who is clearly talented, but does not inspire anyone. You know what Douglas should try to do in a few weeks? Bring in Garoppolo. I think Zach needs to be pushed and I think Douglas/Saleh need the insurance.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Why can the bengals go from 4 wins to the SB and we have to be ok with loosing year in year out because we are winning 6 games instead of 4?

Bengals got there on the strength of Joe Burrow and his weapons, behind a weak OL. This team needs weapons. Taking the planet guys, the 300 pounders with the high RAS scores, is the easy, cowardly pick. It’s the “unlikely to bust” selection, rather than shooting for the high upside. I think he gets it, but we’ll see. He has to step out of his comfort zone this year. I don’t just want a WR high, I want a TE and a RB somewhere along the way, too. This team lacks explosion. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

2019 7 wins

2020 2 wins

2021 4 wins

Douglas will now have 2 years on his deal with a 6 win team thats made up completely of his players. What would the expectation be for 2023? 8 wins? and then are you extending him after not being over 500 for 5 years as GM?

Why can the bengals go from 4 wins to the SB and we have to be ok with loosing year in year out because we are winning 6 games instead of 4? the responsibility to build a winning team falls on Joe Douglas, its black and white... he has same amount of money as everyone, he has the same opportunity as everyone, and he is NY/NJ not in Jax. Its a results business.

Anyways, as i said i am a supporter....but everyone should now expect results from Douglas and crew...i am sure they expect it of themselves 4 years in.

The first two seasons were with a HC that he didn’t hire. The 2019 season roster was basically set by the time he was hired. 

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know what Douglas should try to do in a few weeks? Bring in Garoppolo. I think Zach needs to be pushed and I think Douglas/Saleh need the insurance.

By bringing Flacco and White back, I think they’ve clearly signaled that they’re all in with Zach. I agree with you, I’d’ve tried to bring in a Mariota type guy, too, but they obviously didn’t. If they’re sniffing around veteran QBs in the summer, that could be a troubling sign. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Bengals got there on the strength of Joe Burrow and his weapons, behind a weak OL. This team needs weapons. Taking the planet guys, the 300 pounders with the high RAS scores, is the easy, cowardly pick. It’s the “unlikely to bust” selection, rather than shooting for the high upside. I think he gets it, but we’ll see. He has to step out of his comfort zone this year. I don’t just want a WR high, I want a TE and a RB somewhere along the way, too. This team lacks explosion. 

The jets need to score point.  You can’t win if you can’t score.  And the jets never play d with a lead either.  D is easier when you’re winning.

• Upvote 2

From what we got to see 'behind the scenes' from last year's draft, JD gives every player a grade: 5.3, 5.9, 6.0, etc.

I only see 4 guys in this draft that JD would grade out a 6.9 or 7.0, worthy of a top 4 overall selection: 

Travon Walker (edge), Ikem Ekwonu (LT), Aidan Hutchinson (edge), Ahmad Sauce Gardner (DB)

Based on his HC, I don't see JD drafting a DB super high. So even though Sauce has a top grade, I think he's off the list. That leaves the other three: Walker, Ekwonu, Hutch.

To me, these are the ONLY guys JD would draft at 4 overall. I think JD's preference would be Ekwonu, but Saleh's preference will be Travon Walker. But the gloves won't have to come off in the draft room, as MOST likely all three of these dudes will be gone, or only one will still be an the board. Hutch, Ek, or Walker, whichever on is still there at 4. 

Now...if all three are gone, JD will still have Sauce but I believe he'll trade down just a bit and pick up another valuable draft pick. There will still be a ton of good players where ever he trades down to, and we still have a ton of needs.

Me? I'd love either Travon Walker (highest ceiling, edge) or Ekwonu (nasty MFker to round out our oline for the next decade). Nation's top WR at 4 would be sweeeet, but I believe JD grabs at least one really good WR further on, but not at 4 overall.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

i can say one thing....using the draft simulator i've been able to swing some trades that gave us massive draft capital for next year while still grabbing some nice prospects this year. i wouldnt be surprised if joe d tries to do something like this

50 minutes ago, slats said:

he has his QB, he spent $ on a big time FA receiver, he drafted a receiver with a high 2nd round pick, he drafted his RB, he signed 2 FA TE's (finally)....and he has 4 picks in the first 2 rounds this year. all this after "building the trenches" for a few years. its time for results. i dont expect the world this year...but being 500 or better would be really nice for once.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

2019 7 wins

2020 2 wins

2021 4 wins

Cincy had 2 wins three years ago then 4 wins two years ago. Yes they turned that around and made the Superbowl, credit to them - but it was the guys that got them there that also got them into the 2 win and 4 win situation in the first place. 

Their "jump" year went from 4 wins to 10 ... I'm not expecting that big a jump from the Jets (it would be a nice surprise!) but I'm expecting strong improvements. Not necessarily in W-L record, but in how we win and lose. Close games vs. blowouts, are we scoring points or still struggling to gain more than a yard on first down, is our QB an asset or a liability - that sort of thing. I've said elsewhere I'd rather have 6 good wins and a bunch of close losses than 8 "lucky" wins and a lot of horrible losses like last year.

3 hours ago, Cyberjet said:

If the Jets feel their  OL is “set” which I don’t think is the case they will try to trade out of #4. If the Jets draft Ekwonu  or Neal then they are set for years to come. A brutal top tier OL

Right now, the Jets starting OTs appear to be Fant and Becton, who missed a combined 18 starts last season.  18!  Over the last 2 years, Fant has missed 4 starts, and Becton like 19 or 20.  No way either of those guys doesn't miss games this year.

The Jets need a 3rd starting quality OT, someone who will have to start multiple games, and neither of the current backups, McDermott and Edoga, are it, unless one enjoys watching a QB run for his life.  Maybe JD will pick up a decent vet OT late like he did last year, or maybe he drafts a good young one early (I'd say round 2).  But, the OL is not "set" at this time.   

1 hour ago, slats said:

Not just Zach, but if they believe that Saleh is coming into his own as a head coach as well. 

Six wins would be ugly. I keep saying, I’m hoping for 7-9-1, just to avoid those double digit losses again. But even at 6, do you just blow it all up again? Do you fire JD but keep Saleh? Do you fire the second head coach in a row after only two years? Who’s gonna be interested in this job after another gut job? Another house cleaning will just solidify the concept of the Jets being a place where careers go to die. Joe negotiated himself a six year deal because he understood that this team was an undertaking, and it seems like the owners are on board with that. You can’t quick fix a team that can’t attract star caliber players. You have to draft and develop some of your own guys, first. I really think there’d have to be no sign of progress, or clear signs of regression, before they considered firing anyone. They’re trying stability for a change. 

me and you are both 100% against OL at 4. we both want a WR in the 1st rd. so if JD drafts another OL at 4 and passes WR till rd 2 and some of those WRs taken in rd 1 turn out to be good while our WR isnt do you fire him if we win 6 games?

i would. 

he cant keep telling us the BAP every year is an OL and then not win. he cant keep taking as you said the "cowardly" pick and keep losing. 

i feel like this is 2020 all over again. taking the OL over the WR and we lost out on some good WRs. now he wants to do it again? well he better win then or he should be fired.

56 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

From what we got to see 'behind the scenes' from last year's draft, JD gives every player a grade: 5.3, 5.9, 6.0, etc.

I only see 4 guys in this draft that JD would grade out a 6.9 or 7.0, worthy of a top 4 overall selection: 

Travon Walker (edge), Ikem Ekwonu (LT), Aidan Hutchinson (edge), Ahmad Sauce Gardner (DB)

Based on his HC, I don't see JD drafting a DB super high. So even though Sauce has a top grade, I think he's off the list. That leaves the other three: Walker, Ekwonu, Hutch.

To me, these are the ONLY guys JD would draft at 4 overall. I think JD's preference would be Ekwonu, but Saleh's preference will be Travon Walker. But the gloves won't have to come off in the draft room, as MOST likely all three of these dudes will be gone, or only one will still be an the board. Hutch, Ek, or Walker, whichever on is still there at 4. 

Now...if all three are gone, JD will still have Sauce but I believe he'll trade down just a bit and pick up another valuable draft pick. There will still be a ton of good players where ever he trades down to, and we still have a ton of needs.

Me? I'd love either Travon Walker (highest ceiling, edge) or Ekwonu (nasty MFker to round out our oline for the next decade). Nation's top WR at 4 would be sweeeet, but I believe JD grabs at least one really good WR further on, but not at 4 overall.

The more I think of the likely options and the GM / HC we have, the more convinced I am that we'll end up with Walker at 4.

• Upvote 1

2019 7 wins
2020 2 wins
2021 4 wins
Playoffs are a must in 2023... and a run should be expected this year.
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dunnie said:
2 hours ago, k-met57 said:
2019 7 wins
2020 2 wins
2021 4 wins

Playoffs are a must in 2023... and a run should be expected this year.

If relatively healthy there should be no reason this team shouldn’t compete for a playoff spot this year.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Why can the bengals go from 4 wins to the SB and we have to be ok with loosing year in year out?

Because they didn't just go from 4 wins to the SB.  The Bengals drafted very well for about three years prior to getting Joe Burrow, followed up by getting Ja' Marr Chase.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Honestly, in everything I've read (not that much), how many players in this draft are truly worth a top 5 pick?  Hutch, Neal, Sauce?

Icky, Hutch, Sauce and Wilson would be my pick.

Wilson has Sub 4.4 speed, plus has great hands, body control and route runner.

I do think Icky is going to be the pick at 4, hopefully Wilson is there at 10.

5 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Why is an 'edge' guy who is not a great pass rusher a 6.9 grade guy?  The Travon Walker hype is bizarre.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

You dont consider Ekwonu an elite run blocker?

I do but so was Becton and Wirfs and Wills, and Thomas, and,Slater and, Sewell. It’s not hard to find elite run blockers. It’s the pass blocking + athleticism that’s more rare and important. 

• Upvote 2