DT Larry Ogunjobi is visiting the Jets

20 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I hate the “is in for a visit” stuff, just sign him or don’t. Same sh*t happened with Kwon Alexander a month ago and no word since. Sign him or don’t, hate the in between maybe nonsense. 

They have to do a medical check on him. He had foot surgery for an injury during the playoffs. 

Still don’t know how we are stopping the run without putting 8 in the box which kind of defeats the purpose of building the back end to stop the pass?  

But I do trust that JD and the coaches are discussing this and I have some confidence they know what they are doing.  That said, I would have thought this before last year as well and week to week we were gutted up the middle in the run game.

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Still don’t know how we are stopping the run without putting 8 in the box which kind of defeats the purpose of building the back end to stop the pass?  

But I do trust that JD and the coaches are discussing this and I have some confidence they know what they are doing.  That said, I would have thought this before last year as well and week to week we were gutted up the middle in the run game.

Jonathan Marshall?

9 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Fits the Jets 1 gap model from an athletic profile but it’s worth noting that he was miscast as a nose tackle at Arkansas according to some scouting reports that stated he had trouble holding up against the run.

What I don’t know is how the Jets or 49ers defensive model is supposed to stop the run?  A 2 gap read and react nose tackle like Fatukasi wasn’t the answer despite top tier PFF run grades the prior 2 years.  However the Jets supposedly had interest in SF’s nose tackle Jones who signed with Denver.  Are him and Fatukasi really that different?

Won’t pretend to be an expert here but maybe the Jets are simply looking to blow up specific gaps with quickness and athleticism and then rely on the LBs to instinctively fill the open gaps.  This might imply that they don’t need a big fat run stuffer in the traditional model.  The problem is that this didn’t work last year and there has been no real upgrade to the linebackers outside a couple converted safeties returning from injury.

I have many of the same questions.  I think that part of it may be changing the coverage responsibilities.  We keep hearing how this system wants pass rush and doesn't care much about corners, but the offseason seems to tell a different story.  They added a fairly high tier CB and then picked one at #4.  There were also comments that they see Hall as a CB3.  Maybe they were covering for the back end most of the year.  From what I could notice they tended to get eaten up when they just matched up.  I was a little more hopeful that they appreciated corners when I heard them talking about having Jalen Ramsey in Jacksonville.  I thought maybe we should look to Jacksonville's D a bit too.  Unfortunately, Bradley's D was basically bottom third his entire time with the Jags and Marrone's first year they went to top 5 and gave up like 150 points less than the year prior.  WTF? 

I think they want a spread out front which will require quickness to fill the gaps.  Fatukasi was good for them situationally but he was huge and lumbering for moving sideline to sideline.  I figured they wanted him back, but not at the price he got.   Going after Jones is curious though, but he is smaller and I assume quicker and might be a better fit.  He ended up getting 3/$30M, but not from the Jets.  Tough to gauge their interest or what they want to expend on an actual nose. 

The shortest, scariest answer is that I'm not sure they are supposed to stop the run.  I think they are designed to play from the lead.  We don't have much experience with that, but it might honestly be the answer.  I'd prefer an actual plan myself, but what do I know? 

• Upvote 4

On 5/10/2022 at 4:58 PM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Hmm, PFF doesn't really love the player, for what it's worth.  Steady decline that went down to 50.3 grade in 2021.  Who knows?  Maybe this is the type of player they get wrong.  Regardless, not a good trend which likely means his splash plays (sacks) are offset by some really bad plays.  

Couple other thoughts

1. Do we really need another pass rusher?  How about someone who can stop the run?

2. Odds are low we get him.  Strongly prefers teams with CB as the initials.  Drafted by Cleveland Browns, then to Cincinatti Bengals, then signed with the Chicago Bears before his failed physical.  

image.png.f9d8501bd74cc14843cf76c49ad82d3a.png

A guy who has graded lower every season. Perfect Jets signing

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Easily one of worst takes i seen on this board in a while. 

QW was a horrible pick by Macc. And he hasn’t lived up to expectations. He will be sayonara when his contract runs out. No way JD extends this bum. We need a DT. Ogujunbi wouldn’t be a bad add on for a couple years. 

• Thumb Down 2

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have many of the same questions.  I think that part of it may be changing the coverage responsibilities.  We keep hearing how this system wants pass rush and doesn't care much about corners, but the offseason seems to tell a different story.  They added a fairly high tier CB and then picked one at #4.  There were also comments that they see Hall as a CB3.  Maybe they were covering for the back end most of the year.  From what I could notice they tended to get eaten up when they just matched up.  I was a little more hopeful that they appreciated corners when I heard them talking about having Jalen Ramsey in Jacksonville.  I thought maybe we should look to Jacksonville's D a bit too.  Unfortunately, Bradley's D was basically bottom third his entire time with the Jags and Marrone's first year they went to top 5 and gave up like 150 points less than the year prior.  WTF? 

I think they want a spread out front which will require quickness to fill the gaps.  Fatukasi was good for them situationally but he was huge and lumbering for moving sideline to sideline.  I figured they wanted him back, but not at the price he got.   Going after Jones is curious though, but he is smaller and I assume quicker and might be a better fit.  He ended up getting 3/$30M, but not from the Jets.  Tough to gauge their interest or what they want to expend on an actual nose. 

The shortest, scariest answer is that I'm not sure they are supposed to stop the run.  I think they are designed to play from the lead.  We don't have much experience with that, but it might honestly be the answer.  I'd prefer an actual plan myself, but what do I know? 

I think the bold is the answer on both sides of the ball, and why San Francisco got so much better all at once. Once things start to improve they compound quickly.

I think a better run offense would have a big impact on the defense, for example. There’s probably a little to the focus on being disruptive and having linebackers fill too.

It’s kind of risky but interesting. Defense is effectively structured to combat offenses throwing the ball a lot, offense is kind of structured to play well against smaller defenses that are designed to defend the pass. Part of why Seattle and SF had that little resurgence.

It is annoying that Miami is basically doing the same thing and Belichick gets to game plan to play the same style of team 4x a year.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this is right. The alarming part for me is I dislike our LBer group as a whole and we seem insistent on going with 220lb hybrid players who are not elite athletes either. I can live with one or the other, but not having size or athleticism is kind of tough for me when they're the ones responsible for filling the gaps.

22 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Actually, I think that’s exactly the reason why they aggressively upgraded the CBs, so that they could bring a safety up into the box. May not be eight in there, but I expect it to be seven out of the nickel quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I think this is right. The alarming part for me is I dislike our LBer group as a whole and we seem insistent on going with 220lb hybrid players who are not elite athletes either. I can live with one or the other, but not having size or athleticism is kind of tough for me when they're the ones responsible for filling the gaps.

It's tough to tell.  They certainly seem to prefer running with extra safeties rather than actual LB.  I think quite a few are supposed to be in the 4.5s or long, but none seem elite.  When I heard the Jets moved up  I actually thought it was for Devin Lloyd.  I'm sure most of the board would be just as over the moon with him as Johnson, but the A&M kid would be getting pushed even harder as a sure thing.

• Upvote 1