Browns franchise going forward

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The hot take is that the Browns, who just gave up 3 1st round picks for a player with 22 sexual harassments allegations will suddenly move on from that player because there are now 24. 

It's rather comical that people actually think this will change the Browns position unless they can somehow get those picks back. Of course the NFL could just ban him from the NFL for life, but the Browns aren't going to screw their own franchise by punishing their best player.  But keep dreaming. 

The Browns should be penalized extra picks for giving him a contract to avoid the NFL conduct policy.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, FootballLove said:

B4 handing Watson all that dough they probably had him sign something saying there were no more skeletons in the closet that could jump out and embarrass him or the Browns. Ooops.

Watson may have to return all that dough.

It’s all guaranteed. They even structured the contract where if he was suspended for a year he’s only lose $1m of his salary

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

He might be suspended for a year, 2 years? Could be banned from football. Could face jail time. Browns not punish him but he could be facing some external consequences.

Absolutely. That is why the Leagues handle these punishments and not the teams. Would be interesting to see if the Browns could recoup those draft picks if the Texans knew about different allegations and hid that info from the Browns......then you could see the Browns cutting Watson. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Absolutely. That is why the Leagues handle these punishments and not the teams. Would be interesting to see if the Browns could recoup those draft picks if the Texans knew about different allegations and hid that info from the Browns......then you could see the Browns cutting Watson. 

Those picks are as good as gone, they’d never give them back to Cleveland. This trade will haunt the browns for the next 10 years 

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I started this thread talking about the Browns franchise and where they stand going forward. Not trying to get into specifics of whats going on with the DW case. But if you’re so offended by this topic then by all means don’t post or read the thread

Not your fault but that's what happens on message boards. We're talking about Mekhi f in Becton in the first eight posts so the leap to the case itself a few posts later isn't that much of a leap of the imagination.

Just now, Rhg1084 said:

Those picks are as good as gone, they’d never give them back to Cleveland. This trade will haunt the browns for the next 10 years 

Give them back? Never. Be forced to? Different story. The NFL could reverse the trade if it's found that the Texans withheld info. Not likely, but possible. 

I still don't understand why the Browns made this trade BEFORE the punishment was handed down. They likely thought, or were lead to believe, that it would 4-6 games. Maybe 8. And they would have a franchise QB for next 4 years after that. But still a really dumb idea. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Give them back? Never. Be forced to? Different story. The NFL could reverse the trade if it's found that the Texans withheld info. Not likely, but possible. 

I still don't understand why the Browns made this trade BEFORE the punishment was handed down. They likely thought, or were lead to believe, that it would 4-6 games. Maybe 8. And they would have a franchise QB for next 4 years after that. But still a really dumb idea. 

I mean they already used one of those first round picks this year in the 2022 draft. So how would they even try to reverse the trade when they’re already using the picks? I think the Browns are pretty much screwed. Giving up that much draft capital for a player that could possibly never even play a down is how you destroy a franchise 

• Sympathy 1

This will pass and Watson will take his 6-8 week suspension and be there to make a playoff push.

It will eventually get swept under the rug because the NFL wants it swept under the rug. 

Barring any video or audio evidence - this will be all but done by week 10.

• Upvote 3

I love the nickname "Groper Cleveland" for Watson.  

This move reeks disaster but I feel like the NFL is going to take it on the chin by suspending him for a year, and hope things get forgotten in a year.  Hell, there were a few fanbases fully committing to mental gymnastics when Watson was available.  Hell, people were claiming Tyreek being a despicable human 2 years ago, and we going gaga over him this off-season. 

I think Watson gets suspended for a year, and then the NFL hope we all forget.  The Browns fans won't care if he performs.  It's sad that is the state of sports but I really doubt Watson's career is over.  That trade is absolutely horrible for the Browns though. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I love the nickname "Groper Cleveland" for Watson.  

This move reeks disaster but I feel like the NFL is going to take it on the chin by suspending him for a year, and hope things get forgotten in a year.  Hell, there were a few fanbases fully committing to mental gymnastics when Watson was available.  Hell, people were claiming Tyreek being a despicable human 2 years ago, and we going gaga over him this off-season. 

I think Watson gets suspended for a year, and then the NFL hope we all forget.  The Browns fans won't care if he performs.  It's sad that is the state of sports but I really doubt Watson's career is over.  That trade is absolutely horrible for the Browns though. 

Problem is that over the course of that year, only some of those cases will have come to trial. If he losses any (or many) there will be even more fallout as the testimony makes the news. And there will still be more cases to be tried over the following season. This won’t go away for a very long time. Americans forget things, but not things this salacious. 

Has word been that a punishment is coming? Or a decision? I could see the decision being to punt. Put him on the commissioner’s list for this year, and then assess what kind of damage they’re sustaining as the trials pile up. 

oh, I like the nickname, too. 

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The hot take is that the Browns, who just gave up 3 1st round picks for a player with 22 sexual harassments allegations will suddenly move on from that player because there are now 24. 

It's rather comical that people actually think this will change the Browns position unless they can somehow get those picks back. Of course the NFL could just ban him from the NFL for life, but the Browns aren't going to screw their own franchise by punishing their best player.  But keep dreaming. 

I think the potential change in the Browns' philosophy is not attributed to there now being merely two more accusers; it's the nature of the most recent one - and the fact that she was not a known name before Watson signed his contract with the Browns.  

I could be wrong, but the impression I got from the PFT article linked to below, was that the contract basically provided Watson with financial indemnity against allegations that had already been made, but the fact that there are new details being provided by a woman who hadn't previously stepped forward gives the Browns an out that they didn't have before.  And it also potentially opens Watson up to a new grand jury trial.

I'm sure that the Browns aren't ready to cut bait at this point, but if things get uglier and uglier for Watson, they may have more options at their disposal to take action against him now.

Perhaps someone with more legal knowledge can correct me, if I'm wrong.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/07/could-24th-lawsuit-against-deshaun-watson-eventually-allow-browns-to-void-his-guarantees/

• Upvote 1

If Watson is suspended and Mayfield is under contract, I have to believe Baker plays for Cleveland this year. It's the only way to increase the value of his next contract as a Free Agent and it's the only way he gets paid for this season (unless he fakes an injury).

Success is the best revenge. Go out and have a really good season - and then walk away w both middle fingers extended at the front office.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

If Watson is suspended and Mayfield is under contract, I have to believe Baker plays for Cleveland this year. It's the only way to increase the value of his next contract as a Free Agent and it's the only way he gets paid for this season (unless he fakes an injury).

Success is the best revenge. Go out and have a really good season - and then walk away w both middle fingers extended at the front office.

Shouldn’t Mayfield tell them either give me a $250m contract or trade me. He holds all the leverage here why bow down to them after they kicked you to the waste side essentially 

2 hours ago, slats said:

Problem is that over the course of that year, only some of those cases will have come to trial. If he losses any (or many) there will be even more fallout as the testimony makes the news. And there will still be more cases to be tried over the following season. This won’t go away for a very long time. Americans forget things, but not things this salacious. 

Has word been that a punishment is coming? Or a decision? I could see the decision being to punt. Put him on the commissioner’s list for this year, and then assess what kind of damage they’re sustaining as the trials pile up. 

oh, I like the nickname, too. 

I agree, the presence of new cases could complicate issues for Watson.  I thought the trade deal after the grand jury decision on the first wave of cases indicated that they thought it was over, and could just presume a 1 year punishment as the worst case scenario.  He even got the contract structured to the point that sitting out this year doesn't mean anything.  

However, I think the only way this remains a issue two years from now is if audio/video leaks because the NFL is going to pressure basically everyone they can to bury this.  I thought the NBA ref game fixing scandal would change the sport, but here we are with refs having the same level of power to influence the league because they made sure it slowly went off the news cycle.  

Ideally, I hope Watson is suspended for 2 years, and the Browns void his contract so he can lose all that money.  But considering he got the richest contract after all of this (plus giving up 3 first round draft picks) seems to indicate the NFL really doesn't care or believes this will stick.  

I don't know when they would announce anything at this point.  I was sure it was going to be the pre-season before the latest accusations came forth, so  now I don't know.  I doubt he plays this year though.  

7 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

That’s not without risk for Mayfield. Is there a divided locker room surrounding the guy? The team very publicly gave up on him, for a very questionable character. A bad season just confirms that the Browns were right to move on. And the Browns possibly face exactly what you’re describing, which would make their already highly scrutinized move all the more suspect. And he wants nothing to do with them. Can you imagine that influence on a locker room? No, they’re gonna find a way to move him somewhere, and Mayfield stands to gain a little money in a modest (maybe one year?) extension. 

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I think we broke him.

Happens.  He flips out once every few months or so.  Might be a blackout.  I recall he went nuts and asked Max to ban him after the Jets cost themselves the # 1 pick because he wanted Lawrence.  Now he's an enormous Wilson fanboy, and forgot that ever happened, lol.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

I think we broke him.

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Happens.  He flips out once every few months or so.  Might be a blackout.  I recall he went nuts and asked Max to ban him after the Jets cost themselves the # 1 pick because he wanted Lawrence.  Now he's an enormous Wilson fanboy, and forgot that ever happened, lol.  

Nice to see @The Crusher took a break from 4th lunch to give him a week off.  Poor @slats looked like this dealing with all the lunacy:

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

• Haha 1

All I remember is how many times Stefanski said they did their due diligence regardless of other reports perhaps raising concerns. I thought this would blow over but it seems to be ramping up. Also with the way they structured the contract, they can both go screw. As Mexican mom’s say, ¡que bueno!

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I remember that, lol.

Gotta love @Gastineau Lives.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Agree that he gets a one year suspension and yes, many fans will forget and Browns fans will be ecstatic when DW plays like the true top 5 FQB he is.

Cleveland figured a one year suspension was worth a FQB and damn the woke parade - (that's not what I personally think).

I wonder after Watson serves suspensions or whatever punishment is handed down how will be be received in the locker room

Also would his presence on the team cause any free agents choose not to play for Cleveland.

How many advertisers choose not to do business with the team. 
To me The owner of the Browns is not a very intelligent individual. And one more question. Assuming he is married how in the world does his wife go along with this signing