Sean Payton

TuscanyTile2

Was just thinking about if things don't go well this year, how would Sean Payton's name even get brought up between Woody and JD?

If you're Woody, do you wait for your GM to bring up Payton's name because you don't want him to think you're "meddling"?  But if you wanted to bring it up anyway, how would you convey to JD that you trust him but that you also want to replace his hand-picked HC?

If you're JD, how do you bring up Payton's name to Woody?  You just made the recommendation to hire Saleh 2 years ago and he still has 3 years on his contract left.  Now you're saying doing a 180 and telling your owner that he should be fired?!  Wouldn't that be like admitting you just screwed-up royally?

Plus, what if you bring it up to Woody and then Payton spurns you?  Then you're back to trying to convince Woody that you really do think Saleh is the right guy to get things turned around?

Also, what if Payton wants full control of the organization?  Wouldn't that put JD in a crappy spot if the guy he's recommending also wants his job?!

17 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Is a Payton a enough of a sought after commodity to tell Woody that there is no JD, only Sean?

I think so but I don't know if others would agree.  I do think Payton is a top-tier HC who would enforce accountability and get things turned in the right direction.  And I'd feel like we would never be outclassed in the "HC matchup" no matter who we went up against (including BB).

Full disclosure though: I have to admit that I badly wanted the Jets to hire Urban Meyer.  So maybe we should just trust Saleh after all.  :)

• Haha 1

Sean Payton is not coaching the Jets next year. Do you think Woody is going to pay the richest coaching contract in history while still having Saleh on the books for three more years? In addition Payton's contract with the Saints runs through 2024 and they aren't going to just let him go anywhere he wants without getting a bounty of picks and/or players

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

There's no way I see Payton coming here without Woody needing to part with JD.  He's going to want a Belichick type arrangement where the GM basically works for the coach.  I can't see Woody demoting Douglas after he just fixed the org chart and had the HC report to the GM.  The right fit for Payton remains the Cowboys with him reporting directly to the owner/GM.  If the Cowboys get embarrassed this year, no one is going to outbid Jerry Jones...

Woody Johnson would have to offer Sean Payton a minority stake in the franchise for him to even consider coming here. A boat load of cash and the prospect of turning a team around is enticing to a hall of fame head coach. Woody is not offering a minority stake to the team. 

We would also be giving up at least a first round pick to acquire him from the Saints. 

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Wouldn't this conversation really be between Joe Douglas and Steve Cohen if it is taking place next year?

is that even possible? i know certain leagues i forget which ones dont allow you to own another team. at least in the 4 major sports.

i remember someone had a minority ownership of a team in one league and they forced him to sell it to be full owner in another. since Dolan owns both Knicks and Rangers im thinking it has to be MLB and the NFL

2 hours ago, Joejet said:

When one Sean Payton thread isn’t sufficient, let’s start another one, one game into our coach’s 2nd season! Bravo!!

My fault for the duplicate thread.  But that's why the mods get paid the big bucks and have access to the rumored-to-be-extremely-fancy mod lounge.

...one game into our coach’s 2nd season! Bravo!!

Might I also suggest you check out this thread (that I started):

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

My fault for the duplicate thread.  But that's why the mods get paid the big bucks and have access to the rumored-to-be-extremely-fancy mod lounge.

Might I also suggest you check out this thread (that I started):

All I am saying is that we let season 2 play out before a decision is made on the HC. As I stated in the other Sean Payton thread, is he really a great coach without Drew Brees? I think that is also uncertain based on his results when Brees was hurt. Good coaches seem to go hand in hand with good QBs.

Have you guys not figured out by now that the legit coaches don’t come here? Even if the jets wanted him, there is no reason he’d come here when he could get any position he wanted. The jets get the guys looking to get their shot or guys getting their last shot.

with that being said, saleh is here for at least one more season after this, so instead of dreaming about guys that wouldn’t even entertain coming here, maybe be positive and root for the guys we have. We signed up for another rebuild if you like it or not, the team is moving in the right direction. Next year is judgement day, not this year.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Was just thinking about if things don't go well this year, how would Sean Payton's name even get brought up between Woody and JD?

If you're Woody, do you wait for your GM to bring up Payton's name because you don't want him to think you're "meddling"?  But if you wanted to bring it up anyway, how would you convey to JD that you trust him but that you also want to replace his hand-picked HC?

If you're JD, how do you bring up Payton's name to Woody?  You just made the recommendation to hire Saleh 2 years ago and he still has 3 years on his contract left.  Now you're saying doing a 180 and telling your owner that he should be fired?!  Wouldn't that be like admitting you just screwed-up royally?

Plus, what if you bring it up to Woody and then Payton spurns you?  Then you're back to trying to convince Woody that you really do think Saleh is the right guy to get things turned around?

Also, what if Payton wants full control of the organization?  Wouldn't that put JD in a crappy spot if the guy he's recommending also wants his job?!

Are you saying that Payton can run the stairs better than Saleh?  Im confused.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Joejet said:

All I am saying is that we let season 2 play out before a decision is made on the HC. As I stated in the other Sean Payton thread, is he really a great coach without Drew Brees? I think that is also uncertain based on his results when Brees was hurt. Good coaches seem to go hand in hand with good QBs.

Of course he's going to get this season.  I think fans are just bracing themselves in case we end up with the usual sh-tshow that we've had for over a decade now (with the exception of 2015).  I'm sure you're aware that the Jets have, by far, the longest playoff drought in the NFL.  So you'll have to forgive your fellow fans if we're not yet convinced by Saleh saying "This is not the Same Old Jets" when we're 0-1, coming off a 24-9 loss, where 6 of those points came in GT.   We owe Saleh an apology!

14 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of course he's going to get this season.  I think fans are just bracing themselves in case we end up with the usual sh-tshow that we've had for over a decade now (with the exception of 2015).  I'm sure you're aware that the Jets have, by far, the longest playoff drought in the NFL.  So you'll have to forgive your fellow fans if we're not yet convinced by Saleh saying "This is not the Same Old Jets" when we're 0-1, coming off a 24-9 loss, where 6 of those points came in GT.   We owe Saleh an apology!

Unfortunately I am well aware of the plight of the Jets, been a fan since 1964. You would think as I am quickly approaching my 70th birthday that I would have a greater sense of urgency but I am still hoping that my patience will be rewarded, or maybe it is just apathy. I can certainly understand why some fans do have doubt based on recent events. 

My biggest concern with Payton is that he just tapped out with the Saints, is the fire still there or is he maybe just looking for one last big paycheck. As with everything time will tell.

9 minutes ago, freestater said:

I cannot possibly fathom that anyone who has followed this team for any length of time would think this is even a possibility. If we hear any rumors about the Jets being interested, believe me...its to drive up the price for Jerry. 

^^ SOJF attitude.  Part of the problem!!!  :)

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

I cannot possibly fathom that anyone who has followed this team for any length of time would think this is even a possibility. If we hear any rumors about the Jets being interested, believe me...its to drive up the price for Jerry. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

^^ SOJF attitude.  Part of the problem!!!  :)

If @freestater is wrong.... why haven't we been able to hire an experienced coach since Woody bought the team.  The Jets have a terrible reputation amongst players in the league.  NO experienced HC has been hired by Woody.  Billicek RAN to the doors when Woody was hired.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

If @freestater is wrong.... why haven't we been able to hire an experienced coach since Woody bought the team.  The Jets have a terrible reputation amongst players in the league.  NO experienced HC has been hired by Woody.  Billicek RAN to the doors when Woody was hired.

Heh, I was just kidding in my post above.  There is a contingent of people on JN (led by SAR) who truly believe that the fans are responsible for the team losing.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, freestater said:

Its time I admitted it. All the dysfunction and incompetence around the Jets is all my fault. Me and my crappy attitude. 

Saleh's not wrong that guys like Cimini revel in the dysfunction.

But to play the "media is out to get me card" to deflect from your pathetic win-loss record is just sad.

As if the big bad media or depressed fans are the reason your "WR1" has cement hands.