Schefter: Laremy Tunsil and Jack Conklin potential trade targets for Jets

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, slats said:

If they make the move for Conklin, I think the move would be to extend him. At that point, they’d be looking at Brown, Conklin, Becton, and Mitchell at OT next season with AVT having proven he can play there as well. I think taking an OL early would then be largely off the table. 

Surprised you consider Brown as anything more than a one-year rental. If I remember, it was a two-year deal... but most of us didn't expect him to actually play both, no?

Becton cannot be relied upon. 

I think with Conklin you can afford to 'ride out this season', see how he plays and then decide. Max Mitchell gives us that flexibility. 

I still assume LT is a massive hole next offseason. Maybe you tell Duane to delay that retirement until after the draft - keep other teams thinking we're good for one more year....

Think New York Jets GIF by Bleacher Report

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Conklin is the better rental.

The cost to acquire Tunsil means Joe will have no leverage in re-signing him. 

I'd prefer to keep the first rounder next year for a LT, and deal, a day two pick for Conklin.

Too early to tell. First because we don't know what the compensation is - though I agree with you this won't be like acquiring Robinson at RB - in terms of draft picks or players. Plus they have him already locked in next year as well, at what'd be an under-market amount ($18.5MM). After that they can tag him - or tag & trade him - if he's not extended. Alternatively they could even trade him after the upcoming draft if they love the tackle they got. That's the thing with keeping Brown instead of flipping him for Tunsil: Brown really has no trade value at his age.

Plus there's the other thing to consider, which is that if Wilson gets his act together, or if they pick up someone else next year who already has, the iron is hot right now. I'd worry less about a draft pick that right now looks to be in the ballpark of #20 overall. Moreover, it could be a draft pick in 2024, should Houston decide they already have enough picks for 2023 and don't want to have so many rookies all at once, which then leads them to also have their contracts come up at the same time if looking even further into the future. 

There are good reasons to pick either over the other. Depends on if it's to purely be just a 2+ month rental or if they're picking up the LT they now won't bother drafting in the top round or two over the next few seasons. It's hard to draft a LT who's going to instantly be on Tunsil's level. He gets paid more because of it. 

36 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Too early to tell. First because we don't know what the compensation is - though I agree with you this won't be like acquiring Robinson at RB - in terms of draft picks or players. Plus they have him already locked in next year as well, at what'd be an under-market amount ($18.5MM). After that they can tag him - or tag & trade him - if he's not extended. Alternatively they could even trade him after the upcoming draft if they love the tackle they got. That's the thing with keeping Brown instead of flipping him for Tunsil: Brown really has no trade value at his age.

Plus there's the other thing to consider, which is that if Wilson gets his act together, or if they pick up someone else next year who already has, the iron is hot right now. I'd worry less about a draft pick that right now looks to be in the ballpark of #20 overall. Moreover, it could be a draft pick in 2024, should Houston decide they already have enough picks for 2023 and don't want to have so many rookies all at once, which then leads them to also have their contracts come up at the same time if looking even further into the future. 

There are good reasons to pick either over the other. Depends on if it's to purely be just a 2+ month rental or if they're picking up the LT they now won't bother drafting in the top round or two over the next few seasons. It's hard to draft a LT who's going to instantly be on Tunsil's level. He gets paid more because of it. 

I revised my position after some consideration - which I believe you just laid out in a much more intelligent and cohesive way - the Tunsil move is better...

...only if we immediately sign him to an extension. 

Tunsil has already used being traded for serious draft compensation as leverage in his contract negotiations. We do this deal without resigning him immediately and we'll be paying this guy 27 mil a season.

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Mims has pretty much zero trade value. 

I used to believe he was worth a 6th round draft pick, but at this point, I do believe he's worth a 7th round pick.  If he gets his shot on an NFL team, you just never know what could happen.  After all, the Jets got some castoffs from other teams, and have made lemonade out of lemons.  Just look at Quincy Williams for instance.  Nate Herbig looks real good.  Why not Mims on another team in another system?

Key word here is POSSIBLE trade targets which means Schefter has no information he's just playing hot take artist....I don't see JD wasting the capital it would take to rent these guys nor is there any evidence they are even on the market it's more likely he would just trade another 5th or 6th to bring in depth on the line.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

They’re not trading moore.  That would only increase the need to sign a wr in fa or draft one again.  Plus they’re still trying to develop the qb. 

maybe they are thinking this will be a run 1st team when Hall gets back next year. that he could be a dominant RB. then we dont need all these top WRs. Davis and GW and Berrios are enough. and Berrios hasnt played much except for some reverses. he was Zachs favorite target last year and they might want to get him more into the passing game to help develop him. 

How do the void years work on contracts?  Do they pass to the new team?  If they he would be more expensive, but I am truly not sure and from the way people are talking I guess not.  The Browns would probably move on since he took a substantial pay cut this year in exchange for a guarantee.  Guessing on comp picks is not a guarantee since 1.  if they are buyers and not sellers, they won't get anything and 2.  that pick will be in 2024, but the Jets can offer 2023 picks.  That is a substantial value. 

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Corey Davis has a history of missing games with nagging lower body injuries. If you trade Moore you are basically running Gal Wilson and…….. lol.  Jeff smith?!?  Since they can’t figure out how to put Mims onto routes he can successfully run 

good points.  although they did win on sunday without moore.  if hall didn't get injured then i can see moore being traded.  but losing production from a player as good as hall is not going to made easily and we can just about guarantee that other players will be missing some games as the season progresses.

What do we think it would take to trade for Tunsil?

He is still 28 and one of the best pass blockers in the game.  He isn't an elite run blocker, but effective.

I would not trade our 2023 #1 pick, but if we could do the 2023 #2 plus some mid round 2024 picks, I would do it.

We can plug him in at LT, and move Brown to RT for the remainder of the season.

Next year, Tunsil becomes one of the building blocks on the O-Line.   It would give us alot of flexibility and would not have to expect anything out of Becton.  By some miracle, if Becton is able to get himself back from the injury, the O-line looks dominant:

-Tunsil-   -Tomlinson-  -McGovern/draft pick-  -AVT-  -Becton-

If not, the line still looks pretty good on paper:

-Tunsil-  -Tomlinson-  -McGovern/draft pick-    -Herbig/Mitchell-   -AVT-

We'd have Duane Brown as the swing tackle in 2023 with Max Mitchell as either additional depth or maybe starting at RG next to AVT.

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I revised my position after some consideration - which I believe you just laid out in a much more intelligent and cohesive way - the Tunsil move is better...

...only if we immediately sign him to an extension. 

Tunsil has already used being traded for a serious draft compensation as leverage in his contract negotiations. We do this deal without resigning him immediately and we'll be paying this guy 27 mil a season.

Yeah well part of the calculation is they're getting him for next to nothing this season (money-wise) and several million below his going rate for next year, too.

He'd be a roster swap for Brown next year; I don't see them keeping both next year and Brown's $10MM next season isn't guaranteed. Not unless Brown wants to take a pay cut to a backup's contract while he's still good enough to start even at 38. Plus it'd look icky after the guy decided to earn his money in a way he didn't have to, by delaying surgery until after the season. To tell him to take a big pay cut as thanks would kinda have bad optics. As such, I wouldn't expect any Tunsil extension to get done until March or later, because it'd make it that much more obvious to Brown that his services are no longer required, after he acted to take one for the team (a team he barely knew yet); easy guy to like.

They'd have to look at it as either a 2-3 year rental (y3 potentially under the franchise tag) in lieu of drafting a LT prospect with an early pick. Those mid-lower 1st rounders are gold, though, contract-wise. Thing is Tunsil is as sure of a sure-thing as there is. Tradeoff. 

4 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

He is still 28 and one of the best pass blockers in the game.  He isn't an elite run blocker, but effective.

I would not trade our 2023 #1 pick, but if we could do the 2023 #2 plus some mid round 2024 picks, I would do it.

Next year, Tunsil becomes one of the building blocks on the O-Line.   It would give us alot of flexibility and would not have to expect anything out of Becton.  By some miracle, if Becton is able to get himself back from the injury, the O-line looks dominant:

We'd have Duane Brown as the swing tackle in 2023 with Max Mitchell as either additional depth or maybe starting at RG next to AVT.

Yeah sure we'd welcome your trade idea in a heartbeat but it's pretty unrealistic. (Then again I didn't think it was realistic for JD to get what he got for Adams, so there's that, too).

Tunsil is still in his 20s and healthy and still at the top of his game. A 1st round pick would be just for a minimum starting bid, absent a player being thrown in to lessen the ask, and Moore is the only one who immediately comes to mind who might have enough value to move that a bit.

They'd be dumping 38 yr old Brown after the season along with Fant. No drafting of a LT prospect, maybe taking a shot on another mid-round tackle as competition & depth for RT, which would be a preseason duel between Mitchell & Becton for which starts (if Becton even makes it to or through week 1, his contract is guaranteed for next season).

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah well part of the calculation is they're getting him for next to nothing this season (money-wise) and several million below his going rate for next year, too.

He'd be a roster swap for Brown next year; I don't see them keeping both next year and Brown's $10MM next season isn't guaranteed. Not unless Brown wants to take a pay cut to a backup's contract while he's still good enough to start even at 38. Plus it'd look icky after the guy decided to earn his money in a way he didn't have to, by delaying surgery until after the season. To tell him to take a big pay cut as thanks would kinda have bad optics. As such, I wouldn't expect any Tunsil extension to get done until March or later, because it'd make it that much more obvious to Brown that his services are no longer required, after he acted to take one for the team (a team he barely knew yet); easy guy to like.

They'd have to look at it as either a 2-3 year rental (y3 potentially under the franchise tag) in lieu of drafting a LT prospect with an early pick. Those mid-lower 1st rounders are gold, though, contract-wise. Thing is Tunsil is as sure of a sure-thing as there is. Tradeoff. 

If the tradeoff here is that we lose leverage to Tunsil, sacrifice a first in the process and create a problem with Duane Brown (his contract) - than I'm going the Conklin route.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/duane-brown-3778/#:~:text=Current Contract&text=In 2022%2C Brown will earn,dead cap value of %249%2C000%2C000.&text=Contract Notes%3A,Active Bonus%3A %2458%2C823 (%241M)

Doens't look easy to escape that without Brown retiring.

The only way it makes sense is if Tunsil is immediately re-signed and Brown is happy to collect his money on the bench.

Tunsil is clearly the better player and has the better injury history than Conklin. But Conklin is a mauler, has excelled in this system and is far, far less of an 'all-in" move.

Now I'm leaning back towards ol Jack Burton as the better move. :)

58 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Surprised you consider Brown as anything more than a one-year rental. If I remember, it was a two-year deal... but most of us didn't expect him to actually play both, no?

Becton cannot be relied upon. 

I think with Conklin you can afford to 'ride out this season', see how he plays and then decide. Max Mitchell gives us that flexibility. 

I still assume LT is a massive hole next offseason. Maybe you tell Duane to delay that retirement until after the draft - keep other teams thinking we're good for one more year....

Think New York Jets GIF by Bleacher Report

There was talk of Brown retiring after he got hurt. He likely retires at the end of the year.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good points.  although they did win on sunday without moore.  if hall didn't get injured then i can see moore being traded.  but losing production from a player as good as hall is not going to made easily and we can just about guarantee that other players will be missing some games as the season progresses.

We also won without Davis, basically if you gonna trade a WR get rid of his $14 mil  and get the lineman you need... fix the situation with Moore. Start by moving him around instead of the bs plan they been trying with him. he needs to be in the slot at least some to utilize his route running start/stop quickness. 

we can't afford to really trade Moore or any WR considering how thin WR actually is. Wilson, Berrios, Davis then Moore, based on production this year. Say anyone of them get injured for real and we are not in a good spot.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, WhartonJet said:

I haven’t looked around. But my guess is

Tunsil: 2nd or 3rd/5th

Conklin: 4th

All depends on the price. Could involve Mims or Bryce Hall.
JD is a versatile GM. We are in a different phase of the rebuild and he has adjusted accordingly.
If only Zach can figure it out. We have the right GM and coaching staff. 
Need an OL that is capable of 3 seconds of protection before Zach can be evaluated.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nah, neither of these things tbh:

1. The idea of a Fant extension had already ended. If they were going to do it, it'd have been done by now. Loads of opportunity, with a player who badly - and publicly - wanted it done.

2. Becton is under a fully-guaranteed contract for next year. He's not getting cut unless he gets beat out by whatever McDermott-type camp fodder is signed as an extreme emergency starter. The only way to cut Becton early otherwise is if he gets arrested or otherwise violates his contract. 

Fant gambled on himself jets wanted and tried to do it .. 

And i didnt say anything about cutting becton. But he would definitely be traded. Cause i doubt he would want to be backup or even stay at RT long term which is what would happen with Tunsil here.

sidenote has there been better source on this besides what this dude claims he heard?

2 hours ago, SoFlaJets said:

DE- Bryce Huff WR-Elijah Moore (over Mims because I agree with Bruce Harper Mims has zer0 trade value) CB Bryce Hall  and maybe one of the TE's (Yeboa, Ruckert?) are 5 players I think are expendable and could be used as trade bait

2 hours ago, slats said:

Don’t see Bryce or Moore as expendable at all. Like, not even a little bit. 

Which one?

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Fant gamble on himself jets wanted and tried to do it .. 

And i didnt say anything about cutting becton. But he would definitely be traded. Cause i doubt he would want to be backup or even stay at RT long term which is what would happen with Tunsil here.

sidenote has there been better source on this besides what this dude claims he heard?

Since when do we give a **** what players want?  That is the problem of the NFLPA.  There is a CBA.  Under it we have a draft pick's rights for 4 or 5 years.  It isn't 1973 and you can't hold these guys hostage forever, but the team is still in the driver's seat.  Yes, a 1st rounder gets decent money and is an asset, but they do not get to call the shots and letting them is a problem.  Besides, if you can get a player of Tunsil's caliber reasonably you do it.  You certainly don't let whatever Becton is cloud your thinking.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Since when do we give a **** what players want?  That is the problem of the NFLPA.  There is a CBA.  Under it we have a draft pick's rights for 4 or 5 years.  It isn't 1973 and you can't hold these guys hostage forever, but the team is still in the driver's seat.  Yes, a 1st rounder gets decent money and is an asset, but they do not get to call the shots and letting them is a problem.  Besides, if you can get a player of Tunsil's caliber reasonably you do it.  You certainly don't let whatever Becton is cloud your thinking.

I didn’t say anything like this. I just said what happens with a trade for tunsil. Why wouldnt you do it if u can he is one if the best in the game.

• Upvote 1

According to PFT apparently the Texans are pretty desperate for WR help so they are bringing back a guy they drafted who is a free Agent Tyron Johnson-shoot man, dangle  an Elijah Moore in their receiver-starved faces and Douglas just may be able to steal one of the top-10 rated tackles in the game away from them without even having to lose a  2nd, 3rd, or 4th rounder for him. In Douglas we trust...lately anyway