The Jets can win BIG with Mike White in 2023, provided a few things ..

OK, now we have 1 more game to evaluate him, where he stood tall against difficult circumstances & conditions today, against the team that his detractors have previously pointed to in their argument why he is not the guy. 

Can the Jets make the playoffs this year?  Sure.  Will they go far?  Possibly but this is still a flawed offense that needs some surgical enhancements to realistically take the next step.  

1. Let's get him some extra rib & chin protection.  Man - he's taken some big hits and doesn't have the build to withstand them.  But he's got balls of steal hanging in the pocket with pressure bearing down on him.

2. Draft him another stud WR, preferably a bigger WR who can compliment Wilson & Moore AND score in the red zone.  Looking realistically at Cap ramifications, the 2023 Jets are likely stuck with Conklin and Uzomah.  Hopefully Ruckert can step up as a dangerous option after a redshirt season.

3. A side note to #2 above, I actually like Corey Davis but unfortunately he just cannot stay on the field.  Bad luck today with a knee to the head.  I like Mims as a #4 or #5 but he's not the stud I'm talking about above.

4. Continue to upgrade the offensive line.  Today's performance will not get it done.  We need reliable guys who can step up in these types of games.  

5. Tweak the offensive philosophy a bit.  I'd like to see Saleh & LaFleur run a postmortem on the continued hiccups this team runs into that kill drives or leads to slow first half starts.  This one starts with the coaching and possibly the tempo.

Interested in other thoughts ...

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

OK, now we have 1 more game to evaluate him, where he stood tall against difficult circumstances & conditions today, against the team that his detractors have previously pointed to in their argument why he is not the guy. 

Can the Jets make the playoffs this year?  Sure.  Will they go far?  Possibly but this is still a flawed offense that needs some surgical enhancements to realistically take the next step.  

1. Let's get him some extra rib & chin protection.  Man - he's taken some big hits and doesn't have the build to withstand them.  But he's got balls of steal hanging in the pocket with pressure bearing down on him.

2. Draft him another stud WR, preferably a bigger WR who can compliment Wilson & Moore AND score in the red zone.  Looking realistically at Cap ramifications, the 2023 Jets are likely stuck with Conklin and Uzomah.  Hopefully Ruckert can step up as a dangerous option after a redshirt season.

3. A side note to #2 above, I actually like Corey Davis but unfortunately he just cannot stay on the field.  Bad luck today with a knee to the head.  I like Mims as a #4 or #5 but he's not the stud I'm talking about above.

4. Continue to upgrade the offensive line.  Today's performance will not get it done.  We need reliable guys who can step up in these types of games.  

5. Tweak the offensive philosophy a bit.  I'd like to see Saleh & LaFleur run a postmortem on the continued hiccups this team runs into that kill drives or leads to slow first half starts.  This one starts with the coaching and possibly the tempo.

Move your #4 to #1, please!

• Upvote 2

I don’t believe so. He is almost as bad as Flacco moving around in the pocket which is atrocious. He’s well below average in the red zone which is  the most important area of the field. It appears that he is very fragile and doesn’t deal with pain well. 

Between the 20s he’s been pretty decent.  

I think we’re just so used to complete trash that many are satisfied with below average which is understandable to some degree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, Green Truth said:

The 3 things killing drives today. Joe Flacco twice and Michael Carter. Hate to say it Carter may not be on this team next year. Hall, Knight and Johnson because he plays specials well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zach was cut off active list. 3 games thus far. Probably be back next week. Carter will be a memory for rest of the year after that killer fumble. Saleh has zero tolerance for that pitiful type of poop ? play. 

Mike White is like a 27 year old rookie. He needs playing time. He’s a late bloomer. He needs a kick azz OL. Give it to him. He needs a running game. We will have it. He needs a tall WR in the red zone. Get one. He needs a stud TE. Get one. These are things Saleh needs to put on his Xmas list to Santa next year. This can be accomplished. Dress JD up in a red suit. He looks just like Santa ? 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Larz said:

Guys.

He’s too slow to avoid the hits and too small to survive them. He takes the check down too quickly. He’s not trash, he’s not a CFL player.  Of the top 64 QBs in the NFL I’d rate him between 30-40.  If you disagree, go ahead and list the starting QBs he is better than, and why, but don’t use the comp % stat because that’s the problem, he takes the easy throws the defense wants him to make too often. 

sorry, right now he’s a lovable loser. 

Nah man. When they let him drop back and actually throw a pass more than 10 yard, he's making great throws. 

It's LaFleur. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

How many possessions has MW led. 

How many resulted in scoring.

Very often Lafleur is taking the ball out of Mike Whites hands in the redzone. Whether its a series of run plays, screen passes, Berrios reverses etc. His play calls in the red zone are garbage.

How many times has he let Mike White drop back and call plays more than a screen downfield or operate out of the shotgun in the redzone? 

Doesnt seem like its been many. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Guys.

He’s too slow to avoid the hits and too small to survive them. He takes the check down too quickly. He’s not trash, he’s not a CFL player.  Of the top 64 QBs in the NFL I’d rate him between 30-40.  If you disagree, go ahead and list the starting QBs he is better than, and why, but don’t use the comp % stat because that’s the problem, he takes the easy throws the defense wants him to make too often. 

How can you make a "damning" critique like that while being a fan of this team?  We've been through Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson, etc. and we finally get a stretch of QB play where he's not making bone-headed, turnover-worthy plays left and right, and you're complaining about taking check-downs.

Davis Mills, Matt Ryan, Kenny Pickett, Russel Wilson, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, Taylor Heinicke...

That's 7 NFL starters out of 32 Mike White is playing better than through 3 games (he's only played 3 games!).  Main reason why is because he hasn't made costly mistakes that drag the team down, unlike those I listed above.

Mike White overcame the dreaded Buffalo game.  The narrative for Zach-cucks is over.  I don't know what list of top 64 QBs you have but I'd be interested in seeing it, and I'd argue Zach Wilson wouldn't deserve a spot on it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Big thing mike white has to prove is that he can be durable 

He’s started 6 NFL games and has had to leave 4 of them due to injury. 

Love mike white but I have to agree w/ this post.

Today reminded me of the scene in wedding crashers.

“Mike White.  Hes down again.”

“What is his deal?”

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Okay, that comment MIGHT be as bad as Mosley's penalty was.

How many times did he come back after getting destroyed in the pocket?  Yeah, thought so. 

Why did he leave last year cause he had a tingly finger? Why did he leave the first time today after getting the wind knocked out of him? 

Why does he stand like a statue in the pocket unable to avoid pressure?

How are we going to draft a stud WR? Big, strong, and fast. That normally requires a top 10ish draft pick. We aren't going to have one of those. Also, we have a ton of other needs especially OL, LB, and Safety.

This SF offense is designed around a smart, quick thinking, QB. It is normally run by a team that doesn't have a Josh Allen or ..., that is not the offense or the place for a stud WR. And, considering the offense we play we should be doing better with GW and EM. We need our TEs to show up too.

Either way, that type of offense only wins the big games with a truly dominant D and with a no mistakes team. That is the way Pats play now. Not sure if that is the formula for prolonged success in this league anymore. If MW is going to take us to a big game win, we have to either play mistake free football, get really lucky, or change out O to be a bit more explosive and less safe. IMO.

21 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

How can you make a "damning" critique like that while being a fan of this team?  We've been through Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, Wilson, etc. and we finally get a stretch of QB play where he's not making bone-headed, turnover-worthy plays left and right, and you're complaining about taking check-downs.

Davis Mills, Matt Ryan, Kenny Pickett, Russel Wilson, Marcus Mariota, Sam Darnold, Taylor Heinicke...

That's 7 NFL starters out of 32 Mike White is playing better than through 3 games (he's only played 3 games!).  Main reason why is because he hasn't made costly mistakes that drag the team down, unlike those I listed above.

Mike White overcame the dreaded Buffalo game.  The narrative for Zach-cucks is over.  I don't know what list of top 64 QBs you have but I'd be interested in seeing it, and I'd argue Zach Wilson wouldn't deserve a spot on it.

Why are you MW fanboys so angry? The offense put up a whopping 10 points. It’s wasn’t a good offensive game. It happens, relax. 

• Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Why are you MW fanboys so angry? The offense put up a whopping 10 points. It’s wasn’t a good offensive game. It happens, relax. 

I don't think anyone's angry, I'm certainly not.  However it's exhausting when after a team loss, some fans use it to tear down a player because of an allegiance to another player.

I agree, it was a bad offensive game.  This team can lose and did lose.  However, Mike White was not the reason they lost.  To say he is a problem is disingenuous.  We had much bigger problems today.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I don't think anyone's angry, I'm certainly not.  However it's exhausting when after a team loss, some fans use it to tear down a player because of an allegiance to another player.

I agree, it was a bad offensive game.  This team can lose and did lose.  However, Mike White was not the reason they lost.  To say he is a problem is disingenuous.  We had much bigger problems today.

The thing is that I don’t think most who are criticizing white are Zach fanboys like many make it out to be. I haven’t looked thru every thread but it seems like people are just judging what they are seeing. It doesn’t have to be everyone who criticizes MW are doing it because they want Zach in. Maybe I missed a few comments, but I didn’t see anyone saying Zach should start next week if MW is healthy. 

MW wasn’t the reason they lost, but he also didn’t do anything to help them win. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

RUN THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT IS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I like your points and def think Joe will be looking at that line for sure. He has since he has got there. Injuries aside. We need one or two more starters. Yound drafted guy to with our other newly drafted guys .

But one thing we really need is to get the ball check down to the rb. Not some scrub punt returner 

• Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, Jets Things said:

Corey Davis has hands made of stone. 

How many drops does he have this season?  Two?  And wasn't one of them on the first pass of the year?  So he's got one drop on his last 47 targets?  We call this "hands of stone" now?

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Guys.

Look how bad our OL.. the guy is 1000 times better then zack.. wish we used more top picks on OL instead of wasting them on zach, darnold , and his trade ups cost

8 hours ago, BurntDice said:

The thing is that I don’t think most who are criticizing white are Zach fanboys like many make it out to be. I haven’t looked thru every thread but it seems like people are just judging what they are seeing. It doesn’t have to be everyone who criticizes MW are doing it because they want Zach in. Maybe I missed a few comments, but I didn’t see anyone saying Zach should start next week if MW is healthy. 

MW wasn’t the reason they lost, but he also didn’t do anything to help them win. 

We almost beat buffalo on their home field.. we are hurting on OL. Anyone who thinks Zach would have won game is completely psycho 

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Guys.

He has elite processing skills. There is no question about that. In yesterday's game, he made throws across the field that only a QB with  high caliber arm talent can make. The only question about future success is his mobility. If you draft to play to your QB's strengths and weaknesses, Mike White will be a big winner with us or someone else.

Edited by genot

10 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

How are we going to draft a stud WR? Big, strong, and fast. That normally requires a top 10ish draft pick. We aren't going to have one of those. Also, we have a ton of other needs especially OL, LB, and Safety.

This SF offense is designed around a smart, quick thinking, QB. It is normally run by a team that doesn't have a Josh Allen or ..., that is not the offense or the place for a stud WR. And, considering the offense we play we should be doing better with GW and EM. We need our TEs to show up too.

Either way, that type of offense only wins the big games with a truly dominant D and with a no mistakes team. That is the way Pats play now. Not sure if that is the formula for prolonged success in this league anymore. If MW is going to take us to a big game win, we have to either play mistake free football, get really lucky, or change out O to be a bit more explosive and less safe. IMO.

so your argument against a big wr is that there is no point because we should build a team that needs to play absolutely mistake free with no margin for error to win?? or are you arguing against that type of team? i can't tell because the first part of your post says our supposed philosophy doesn't jive with a stud wr (honestly this makes no sense anyway because any offense can benefit from a stud wr) but then you go on to say that type of team can't really win without extreme luck and that if we want to win we should have a more explosive offense

36 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

so your argument against a big wr is that there is no point because we should build a team that needs to play absolutely mistake free with no margin for error to win?? or are you arguing against that type of team? i can't tell because the first part of your post says our supposed philosophy doesn't jive with a stud wr (honestly this makes no sense anyway because any offense can benefit from a stud wr) but then you go on to say that type of team can't really win without extreme luck and that if we want to win we should have a more explosive offense

a) we don't have a draft pick to get such a WR without luck

b) while I agree that such a team can win big - it is a low probability strategy but one teams take if they don't have any alternative.

So, while I could clearly be wrong, the best chance for winning big games requires a mobile big-arm QB. So instead of investing on a big WR that isn't as needed when playing small ball, we should try and find our future QB - we have GW and some other targets - need to focus on OL and other areas - so, IMO, building a team around MW isn't the best approach.

• Upvote 1