Should JD be fired?

Wit

I actually really like JD.

Does whiffing on the number 2 pick QB mean hes out?

Personally JD has made progress, and hes a victim of some really bad luck with O line injuries AND pampering Zach (who sucked) with offensive picks.

I hope he stays. I think Saleh has done a good job with the defense.

I think MLF probably needs to go but Zach being generationally terrible saves him. 

• Upvote 1

It’s hard to recover from the worst draft day selection in franchise history. I think ownership will give him another year. 

But When we ultimately miss the playoffs again next year I think he will be out. At the end of the day you need to see results. If you can’t make the post season after 5 years a change needs to be made

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

Fields was clearly the #2 QB on draft day. JD just had to eff it up. With Fields, we would be 11-4. 

He Didbt HAVE to draft a qb. Outside of Laurence, there was no obvious pick. Even when there is, qbs taken too early often are busts. Look at darnold, baker and Rosen all in same class. All thought would be great, all busts. He could have sured up OL, and went with vet or Mike white. And imagine using darnold pick, and 3 2nd rounders gave up to trade up for darnold, for OL/TE. Mike white probably still is playing with healthy ribs. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

He Didbt HAVE to draft a qb. Outside of Laurence, there was no obvious pick. Even when there is, qbs taken too early often are busts. Look at darnold, baker and Rosen all in same class. All thought would be great, all busts. He could have sured up OL, and went with vet or Mike white. And imagine using darnold pick, and 3 2nd rounders gave up to trade up for darnold, for OL/TE. Mike white probably still is playing with healthy ribs. 

I think Mac Jones (who is basically below average)  would have been a better fit for this team and offense. If Fields turns into Hurts, then will hurt badly though. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Yea, I think losing out on even more draft capital was terrible. Even Kenny Picket looks competent. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Wit said:

Personally JD has made progress, and hes a victim of some really bad luck with O line injuries AND pampering Zach (who sucked) with offensive picks.

I think MLF probably needs to go but Zach being generationally terrible saves him. 

This wasn’t brought already? 

14 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Firing JD would mean “give the new GM 3 years to rebuild” BS. Keep him. Trade for a half decent vet that’s not submitting his retirement papers. 

Who's the vet?

I love how people suggest picking up another qb like picking up groceries - there's nothing out there.

9 minutes ago, Wit said:

Yea, I think losing out on even more draft capital was terrible. Even Kenny Picket looks competent. 

Jets do not like qbs like picket who has lot more game tape. Pickett played in almost twice as many games, threw ball more than double zach did in college. Look at sanchez, darnold and Zach. 1 or 2 years as starter in college. Jets love to gamble, and lose on unproven qbs.

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

Who's the vet?

I love how people suggest picking up another qb like picking up groceries - there's nothing out there.

Dude, there are PLENTY of qbs better than Zach who haven’t got the opportunity. It’s not just Mike White hiding on the bench ha. It would be a LOT harder to find a qb worse than Zach, then finding many who are considerably better. We all would love to have the star qb, but let’s start with NOT having the very worst first.

• Upvote 1

I think he should get 1 more season. Make or break year. Playoffs or bust.

Next year will be his 5th year as GM. You need to put together a winning season and playoffs. 

2020 draft is looking like an all time bad draft.

2021 draft isnt looking nearly as good as many were proclaiming. It's still early to call it, but its looked a lot worse this year than year 1. With Wilson being a complete bust though, that's a massive black eye on this draft.

2022 draft looks legitimately good, great even. I look forward to seeing these guys in year 2.

Here's the problem. The O line looks like you can pencil in AVT and the rest needs to be rebuilt. The QB room also needs a total rebuild. Linebacking core needs a total rebuild.  There are a lot of holes on this roster, and a lot of question mark's going into the off season. 

There are no more surplus of picks. There is no giant pile of cap space unless we start cutting some guys. There will be some tough choices.

Douglas needs to hit a homerun at the next draft, and nail some FA signings and make the playoffs next year. Anything less and you need to look at moving on. 

If we lose 1 more game this season, and let's be honest we may lose out.

4 years, 4 losing records, 4 no playoffs. You cannot keep doing this. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 2

13 minutes ago, peebag said:

Who's the vet?

There are actually a ton of potential options out there that could be had either via FA or trade. All would be massive upgrades over Zach, a number of which would be upgrades over White, some would elevate us to legit contenders immediately. 

There’s a whole separate thread about this. 

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Next year will be his 5th year as GM. You need to put together a winning season and playoffs. 

2021 draft isnt looking nearly as good as many were proclaiming. It's still early to call it, but its looked a lot worse this year than year 1. With Wilson being a complete bust though, that's a massive black eye on this draft.

2022 draft looks legitimately good, great even. I look forward to seeing these guys in year 2.

Here's the problem. The O line looks like you can pencil in AVT and the rest needs to be rebuilt. The QB room also needs a total rebuild. Linebacking core needs a total rebuild.  There are a lot of holes on this roster, and a lot of question mark's going into the off season. 

There are no more surplus of picks. There is no giant pile of cap space unless we start cutting some guys. There will be some tough choices.

Douglas needs to hit a homerun at the next draft, and nail some FA signings and make the playoffs next year. Anything less and you need to look at moving on. 

Great post dude

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Wit said:

Did we not have this thread like 4 days ago? And 2 weeks ago? and 5 weeks ago?

Saleh and JD are not  going anyone. It really sucks that he missed on his month important draft pick to date, but the rest of the team is miles ahead of where it was. There's a strong young core on both sides of the ball. 

Agreed on MLF. I definitely don't think he was bad. his schemes has had guys open on the field all day, our main QB just couldn't see them. Maybe they want someone with more tenure? Maybe they need a scapegoat? Those could factor into things. 

I think with MLF and, say, White, for most of this season, we're having a very different conversation.

19 minutes ago, peebag said:

Who's the vet?

We'll know more once the season's over. Who gets franchised, who walks, who wants to 'change diretions', etc.

Here's the current list of FAs out there:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/?ref=trending-pages

Brady, Mayfield and Garappolo lead the pack at the moment. Are any of these 3 re-signed / franchised? I doubt it. You also have some of our retreads out there: GSmith and Darnold (fun fact: Darnold is younger than White). Another NYC player, though for the NFC, Daniel Jones may shake loose as well. Not sure what the Giants plan on doing there.

So yeah, there are some names out there, though no real stars (and honestly, star QBs should never hit the FA market).

54 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Fields was clearly the #2 QB on draft day. JD just had to eff it up. With Fields, we would be 11-4. 

Wilson was the consensus pick in NFL circles. He didn't take a controversial gamble. Every gm was making that pick. Never agreed with it but thats just how it was.

18 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I agree with you. I don’t think it will be ‘playoffs or bust’ for JD next year. He’s the GM. Depends on a lot of other factors. 

The most important thing JD needs to do is sign a quality vet QB. He cannot miss out on the QB FA market. 

As far as the O-line, you don’t nec. need a complete rebuild. Keep drafting linemen to maintain a pipeline of talent and resign a couple of key FAs and the oline should be ok. 

Hitting on draft picks always helps. I don’t think ‘jd needs a home run’ in the draft. I do think we need an OT in RD 1 who can step right in as a starter and a developmental IOLman later in the draft. 

Our LBs are not terrible. Doubt we see  any kind of ‘overhaul’. We are stuck with CJ because of salary. Another restructure would help. Quincy needs to be resigned. And Kwon should be brought back if not too expensive. The Jets then have Sherwood and should continue to add talent through the draft in the 3rd or 4th rd.