Lafleur has NOT been fired!! (merged title references unsubstantiated claim. please refrain from hilarious parody threads)

Matt39

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Then that’s a bullsh*t position. Kubiak on the staff working under Lefleur would be an obvious joke. He’s been a HC and won Super Bowls as an OC. Him coming on to be a part time babysitter isn’t fooling anyone.

LaFleur would probably answer to Kubiak unofficially if they do make this move while retaining MLF. I think that it would be more collaborative in the sense that they create the 2023 scheme together, they create the playbook together, they outline the staff roles & responsibilities together, they determine the offseason approach for the players together. The main difference is Kubiak would likely oversee/support LaFleur in terms of his responsibilities (i.e. gameplan and play-calling) while taking more of a day-to-day focus on the QB room. That's the major benefit

If they bring in Kubiak and fire MLF, then it would be a situation where he'd probably want his son to be the de facto OC instead of MLF. 

A lot remains to be seen, but I have a sense that Aaron Wilson translated his report wrong. I don't know for sure, but he could have confused the Jets desire to bring in Kubiak as an indication they were firing MLF. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I think the play of Zach Wilson is the number 1 issue. Not the only issue. I'm totally fine with the Jets firing LaFleur and trying things with another OC. I could take him or leave him like I said in my original post. I don't have much of an issue with that at all. Maybe Zach will improve or the next QB they sign in FA will play well. I'll be rooting for either to happen. But I just think to be fair to MLF, we have to be honest about the fact that Zach was really bad and the offense didn't look nearly as bad when pretty much anyone else was under center. That's all. 

To be fair, Zach threw 2 td’s against Detroit and gave them the lead that the D coughed up. The next 3 games, 21/2 of which Zach was benched, they scored zero td’s.

• Upvote 1

I'm not advocating for MLF to stay, but if Saleh wants to go out swinging with his guy....adding someone with a wealth of experience in gameplanning, how to get across the techniques they want the position coaches to teach the players, coming up with different ways to attack schemes, etc would be a God send for this team....

Not even close to being an advocate of Lafleur but being a coordinator is much much more than playcalling, and we don't have anyone with experience on the staff in any of these areas 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

LaFleur would probably answer to Kubiak unofficially if they do make this move while retaining MLF. I think that it would be more collaborative in the sense that they create the 2023 scheme together, they create the playbook together, they outline the staff roles & responsibilities together, they determine the offseason approach for the players together. The main difference is Kubiak would likely oversee/support LaFleur in terms of his responsibilities (i.e. gameplan and play-calling) while taking more of a day-to-day focus on the QB room. That's the major benefit

If they bring in Kubiak and fire MLF, then it would be a situation where he'd probably want his son to be the de facto OC instead of MLF. 

A lot remains to be seen, but I have a sense that Aaron Wilson translated his report wrong. I don't know for sure, but he could have confused the Jets desire to bring in Kubiak as an indication they were firing MLF. 

200w.webp?cid=ecf05e47sj0oih0asnixzvaqpf

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Getting the right QB is more important than firing the OC

Not getting a QB until player transactions commence. We can't discuss one change because another also needs to occur? Wouldn't you want your coaching staff decisions complete, then asses the QB options?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Offense looked clearly better with Mike White until he got hurt in Buffalo.  

Generally speaking, the offense is going to take a dip when you are playing backup QBs and 37 year olds on their last hurrah behind an offensive line littered with backups to just get through the final game.

Offense looked better but they couldn't score. That's an OC problem

5 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Not getting a QB until player transactions commence. We can't discuss one change because another also needs to occur? Wouldn't you want your coaching staff decisions complete, then asses the QB options?

Of course we can, my point was IMO with a good QB LaFleur could work out as OC.  

43 minutes ago, football guy said:

By far the biggest beef players have with LaFleur is his reluctance to face them man-to-man. Too much reliance on the positional coaches to communicate messages to the players. 

Separately, are they confident in him and his scheme?

My gut tells me no and the exit interviews from the players were widely negative.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Of course we can, my point was IMO with a good QB LaFleur could work out as OC.  

Do you believe that LaFleur did everything he could to coach and develop Zach Wilson? Not asking if you think Zach would have succeeded, because there are other factors, but, did LaFleur (and Saleh) have a good plan in place for the #2 overall pick they had EVERYTHING riding on? Do you think he gained the trust of the other offensive players?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

To be fair, Zach threw 2 td’s against Detroit and gave them the lead that the D coughed up. The next 3 games, 21/2 of which Zach was benched, they scored zero td’s.

I don't blame Zach for that loss although he didn't play all that well in that game either. That game was on Saleh and the D. 

Mike White came back with 5 broken ribs because they lost the Lions game and then Zach was beyond horrid against the Jaguars. The final game was a 37 year old Joe Flacco with 3 backup lineman blocking for him in a game that meant nothing.

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

Do you believe that LaFleur did everything he could to coach and develop Zach Wilson? Not asking if you think Zach would have succeeded, because there are other factors, but, did LaFleur (and Saleh) have a good plan in place for the #2 overall pick they had EVERYTHING riding on? Do you think he gained the trust of the offensive players?

Does anyone believe MLF did everything to get the most out of:

mims, moore, carter and ruckert?  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I think a real possibility exists where they "demote" him without changing his title by hiring someone who would essentially serve as his boss. That's why Gary Kubiak's name is being put out there; they can hire him in a similar capacity as the Vikings did in 2019 (Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Advisor) to oversee the offense and the QBs, while leaving the OC in place in a minimized role. 

This is what they should do!

Let MLF learn!!!  He isn't an idiot, he has real potential but he is still obviously still raw!

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Do you believe that LaFleur did everything he could to coach and develop Zach Wilson? Not asking if you think Zach would have succeeded, because there are other factors, but, did LaFleur (and Saleh) have a good plan in place for the #2 overall pick they had EVERYTHING riding on?

Perfectly said. Zach has regressed since BYU. This is not the guy they drafted.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh could really use this kind of mentorship, too. 

Woody is penny wise and pound foolish. When you hire inexperienced coaches to save a buck, you need an entire coterie to “develop” them. And then you end up paying several at the same time as you churn through them. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Sammybighead said:

Most???

There wasn't even a bare minimum. 

Imagine having a slot guy like Moore and never throwing him a slant route out of the slot. 

I think there’s a lot to be said in hindsight about mims and moore getting deactivated b/c they couldn’t learn all the wr positions.  And with moore, he lashed out at MLF and saleh put him in the brig.  This is how they ran their corporation.  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

To be fair, Zach threw 2 td’s against Detroit and gave them the lead that the D coughed up.

To be fair, Zach doesn't win much if his D didn't win most of his starts.

22 minutes ago, section314 said:

The next 3 games, 21/2 of which Zach was benched, they scored zero td’s.

Hard to see Zach doing better.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Woody is penny wise and pound foolish. When you hire inexperienced coaches to save a buck, you need an entire coterie to “develop” them. And then you end up paying several at the same time as you churn through them. 

I’ve said forever that Woody needs to hire an old hand to oversee football ops. The org chart has always been a fluid mess here. They need a football czar who can come down and bitchsmack anyone wearing a bunny costume.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1