LaFleur and Jets part ways

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Kids like to say stuff.

When was the last time you heard a player say, “yeah, my knee is really fu**ed up. It feels like limp noodles are holding me together right now… I’m gonna be out a while.”

Don’t know but I’ve heard lots of players say, I don’t know or I’m hopeful to be ready for camp.  There’s always the tried and true I’m on schedule, following our timeline, etc 

24 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s worse because his failing is why Salehs team went from 6-3 to 7-9.  That’s on LaFleur.  He had one job, offense and by anyone’s matric the offense went in the toilet and dragged the team down with them.   Everyone repeats over and over if Zach could have scored a TD against the Pats, if White could have converted one of those 5 FGs in Minny, no TDS in 3 straight games, blah, blah, blah.  Last year you blamed Saleh for the D.  Now it’s suddenly not on MLF.  

Yeah, everything is on LaFleur. 

Okay, so then everything will be fine now, it was all on LaFleur, huh?
We’re in good hands now with Douglas and Saleh, am I reading you correctly?

• WTF? 1

15 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Brian Johnson is a really interesting name.

QB Coach for the last 2 seasons in Phila, clearly helping to develop Hurts.  Was Florida OC for 3 seasons so he has experience calling plays. Interviewed for the Packers OC job last off-season.

Phila has created a true "multiple" offense since Siriani took over.  They use RPO and both inside and outside zone rushing concepts with air raid passing principles.  

The other interesting thing to me here is that he could bring Minshew with him. I know the board doesnt love Minshew, but there would be continuity year over year schematically and he clearly has an idea of what minshew strengths and weaknesses are and can work with that.  

The potential hang up is that their OC Shane Steichen is up for HC opportunities so its possible Johnson waits it out and becomes the Eagles OC.

He's my pick out of the young guys....

Worse case scenario he holds the seat warm for Steichen in 2024

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Okay, so then everything will be fine now, it was all on LaFleur, huh?
We’re in good hands now with Douglas and Saleh, am I reading you correctly?

You gathered this how exactly?  
But you know what, yes, I like JD and Saleh.  Could care less if you disagree.  
All of this because you don’t think MLF was the main problem.  

• More Ugh 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Don’t know but I’ve heard lots of players say, I don’t know or I’m hopeful to be ready for camp.  There’s always the tried and true I’m on schedule, following our timeline, etc 

He’s a hungry young player. That’s it. He’ll play when the Jet doctors clear him. As we saw this year w/MW, it will likely be grossly mismanaged. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So to recap

1.  LaFleur is the only coordinator worth a damn on this staff.  Somebody’s going to hire him off Salehs staff

2.  The offense is not on LaFleur, Mike Whites a god in this system 

3.  LaFleur sucks

4.  No QB will ever come to work under MLF

5.  He only got the job because he’s Salehs best friend 

6. He has to be fired.  Now

7.  But Saleh will never fire his friends little brother

8.  Saleh didn’t fire him hard enough.

9.  No one worth a damn will take the OC job 

10.  Let’s welcome the loser they’re sure to hire.  

This was really good, lol.?

• Haha 2

Ultimately, I believe Lafleur was given a raw deal. Wilson is just not a good QB and nothing I've seen over the last two years will change my opinion of that. Between that and the injuries on offense this year, what exactly did you expect Lafleur to do? Bill Walsh wouldn't have done much better.

Lafleur has a MUCH better shot at becoming a good OC and above elsewhere than Wilson ever does at being a good QB, imo. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Not surprisingly, it’s sounding like the call to fire LaFleur was made by Douglas and/or Woody. What a ******* disaster

Meanwhile every Saleh presser is like the ‘this is fine dog’ on repeat. 

I think LaFleur probably lost the team by the end of the season, possibly irrevocably so, but the manner of which this has gone down portends disaster in an inevitable way. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, DireJet said:

I really don’t get what happened with MLF. He was wildly creative last year and showed flashes this year moving the football w/non-ZW QBs. And then he just completely shutdown over the final quarter of the season. Something must have happened bc he called the most vanilla garbage I’ve ever seen. We’ll find out eventually. 

Last season the Jets offense was really boring and ineffective until the Jets got eliminated and they had nothing to lose. Then LaFleur’s playcalling suddenly became creative. 
I expected something of the sort in the Miami game but it just didn’t happen.

I think MLF’s big problem was that he was too conservative and unwilling to try something interesting if there was something to lose. It backfired. Without Breece Hall to bail the offense out there was nothing.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not sure both can be true but when you have coaches saying the QB savior was the problem then at some point you have to listen

They can. He sucks, but MLF def didn’t help. Zack got worse.

Good riddance to both, I hope.

• Thumb Down 1

I really like Joe Douglass I think he did a great job building this team into a contender which was evidenced by a 6-3 start and beating Buffalo before half the OL was injured along with one of the best young backs in the game. He got dealt a bad hand and every single Jets fan should be used to this sh*t. However, if JD wants to ride and die with Wilson I'm 100 % not in favor of that at all.