LaFleur and Jets part ways

4 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Cant really blame him. We still don't have a QB, and our only hope is if EVERY offensive player stays healthy all season, including all 5 offensive linemen. A single injury to Hall or Garrett or even Becton (again) seems to sink this qb-less ship faster than the Titanic in a ice hockey rink.

Perhaps LeFleur heard Saleh's total commitment to ZW for 2023 and thought "I gotta get outta here NOW"

3rd verse, same as the first, little bit louder, little bit worse.

C'mon. What's Saleh supposed to say publicly about Wilson?  That he's a bum and they're moving on from him? He's got to make stupid statements like that and then take the bullets for them.  That's part of his job.  Behind the scenes, there cannot be much if any support coming from Douglas and Saleh to hang their hats (and jobs) on Wilson in 2023.  No way!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think it’s that. Not in my case anyway. 
I see this as a failing regime looking for a scapegoat. How was LaFleur worse than Saleh has been at his job? Was he worse this year than Uhlrich was last? Was he worse than Zach was at his? Berrios? Becton? Mims? Moore? Laken? BTW who hired, drafted or signed all those clowns? What’s his record since he got here?

But yeah, everything was LaFleur’s fault.

This regime is going into it's prove it year and the weak link is clearly the offense and the handling of the QB...was it all MLFs fault of course not but coordinators are replaced routinely in this league and since we have a coach who knows nothing about offense or the QB position I have no problem with bringing in a new QB and offensive staff.  The mistake was not hiring people with experience in the first place.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Any good coord will come if he can get a genuine starter and not a disaster like Zach.  No one in his right mind, particularly a well respected OC type would come here "to develop Zach".  That would be career suicide.  The idea is to bring in someone solid, a quality OC and that person will demand a legit starting QB.  i.e. Carr or the equivalent.   

If you were an experienced NFL OC, would you come to the Jets under the directive to develop Zach Wilson?  Think about how ludicrous that is.  It will be a vet with Zach holding the clipboard.  Mike White won't be here either. Too much talent on this offense to waste waiting around for Zach Wilson to reach NFL puberty, if ever.

Everyone knows they’re bringing in an experienced QB to run the show.  Whoever comes is going to have a young offense loaded with young weapons and hopefully a rebuilt OL that can stay healthy.  He’s also going to have a 23 year old backup QB with all the physical tools one could want.  If he continues to fail so be it.  If he can develop a huge feather in the hat of whichever OC they hire.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is not an ownership decision, this is a JD decision. He is not ready to move on from Wilson and he knows he won't be successful in this system. He's going to bring an OC in who Wilson fits in better with systematically and they're going to force Wilson down our throats next year. Anybody expecting a veteran upgrade next year is going to be very disappointed. He forced Wilson into playing those 2 games when White was hurt and he's going to do it again to try to prove he was right, winning be damned. JD tanked the Jets season not Woody. 

Then JD’s reign of losing will end next year. Has any Jet GM in history racked up more losses than JD?

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

We hired Adam Gase because of a phone call to Woody from Peyton Manning. Imagine what a phone call from Steve Young could do? 

I believe this was retconned by the Jets after they swung and missed on their first, second, and third choices.

Oh, uh, we didn’t completely bungle the search. Gase was who we wanted all along — look, we totally not suspiciously at all have a backdated affidavit signed by Peyton Manning! And don’t forget your PSL installments, suckers…. we mean super fans!

1 hour ago, RSJ said:

Lamar Jackson is finished. He is holding out for some team dumb enough to sign him this offseason. He is shot physically.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I demand a second opinion by Dr. @Joe W. Namath

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t think it’s that. Not in my case anyway. 
I see this as a failing regime looking for a scapegoat. How was LaFleur worse than Saleh has been at his job? Was he worse this year than Uhlrich was last? Was he worse than Zach was at his? Berrios? Becton? Mims? Moore? Laken? BTW who hired, drafted or signed all those clowns? What’s his record since he got here?

But yeah, everything was LaFleur’s fault.

He’s worse because his failing is why Salehs team went from 6-3 to 7-9.  That’s on LaFleur.  He had one job, offense and by anyone’s matric the offense went in the toilet and dragged the team down with them.   Everyone repeats over and over if Zach could have scored a TD against the Pats, if White could have converted one of those 5 FGs in Minny, no TDS in 3 straight games, blah, blah, blah.  Last year you blamed Saleh for the D.  Now it’s suddenly not on MLF.  

Yeah, everything is on LaFleur. 

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

I believe this was retconned by the Jets after they swung and missed on their first, second, and third choices.

Oh, uh, we didn’t completely bungle the search. Gase was who we wanted all along — look we have a backdated affidavit signed by Peyton Manning! And don’t forget your PSL installments, suckers…. we mean super fans!

I demand a second opinion by Dr. @Joe W. Namath

No, I absolutely believe that Woody was swayed by a call from Peyton Manning.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No, I absolutely believe that Woody was swayed by a call from Peyton Manning.

Timeline doesn’t fit IIRC. Jets had a lot of candidates in the building and missed out on them all. Then suddenly Gase comes out of nowhere and *boom* he’s hired and the Manning endorsement is conveniently leaked a couple days later with Dunkin’ Donuts coffee stains all over it.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

How many worthwhile guys are both good and available to run this Shanahan system at a high level as an OC?

I'm thinking back to that SI article from a couple years ago.

Doesn't have to be the Shanahan offense depending on the new OC. Door is wide open for any system. I'm sure Saleh, a defense guy, isn't married to one offense. 

• Upvote 3

So to recap

1.  LaFleur is the only coordinator worth a damn on this staff.  

2.  Somebody’s going to hire him off Salehs staff

3.  The offense is not on LaFleur, Mike Whites a god in this system 

4.  LaFleur sucks

5.  No QB will ever come to work under MLF

6.  He only got the job because he’s Salehs best friend 

7. He has to be fired.  Now

8.  But Saleh will never fire his friends little brother

9.  Saleh didn’t fire him hard enough.

10.  No one worth a damn will take the OC job 

11.  Let’s welcome the loser they’re sure to hire.  

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, choon328 said:

This is not an ownership decision, this is a JD decision. He is not ready to move on from Wilson and he knows he won't be successful in this system. He's going to bring an OC in who Wilson fits in better with systematically and they're going to force Wilson down our throats next year. Anybody expecting a veteran upgrade next year is going to be very disappointed. He forced Wilson into playing those 2 games when White was hurt and he's going to do it again to try to prove he was right, winning be damned. JD tanked the Jets season not Woody. 

I love this post.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Not sure if I have the confidence we will find that guy.  

As I have said, I don't mind the change as long as we find someone better, there are a lot of vet coaches I would be horrified to get.

True. I guess you don’t have to narrow it down to veteran status, but you’re likely to get someone who can juggle all the moving parts effectively. Buffalo wasn’t Daboll’s first rodeo. And If you’re going to give someone their first crack at it, then make sure they’re made of the stuff needed to lead, role model, influence, etc 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Breece said he would be ready for TC...kids 21 years old and a monster

Kids like to say stuff.

When was the last time you heard a player say, “yeah, my knee is really fu**ed up. It feels like limp noodles are holding me together right now… I’m gonna be out a while.”

7 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Doesn't have to be the Shanahan offense depending on the new OC. Door is wide open for any system. I'm sure Saleh, a defense guy, isn't married to one offense. 

You're probably right but these OLinemen have been drafted because of their fit for the wide/outside zone blocking scheme.  They are not power guys per see (although Becton probably could be).  AVT was drafted to be on the move, same thing with Max Mitchell.  Breece Hall and Michael Carter are one/two cut guys who are to hit the hole in this type of scheme.  They're neither a Barry Sanders type guy nor a Derrick Henry.

If the Jets pivot to anything other than the current rushing scheme we're looking at two years to get it put in place effectively with the right personnel and a group that gets comfortable with it.  JMHO.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

You're probably right but these OLinemen have been drafted because of their fit for the wide/outside zone blocking scheme.  They are not power guys per see (although Becton probably could be).  AVT was drafted to be on the move, same thing with Max Mitchell.  Breece Hall and Michael Carter are one/two cut guys who are to hit the hole in this type of scheme.  They're neither a Barry Sanders type guy or a Derrick Henry.

If the Jets pivot to anything other than the current rushing scheme we're looking at two years to get it put in place effectively with the right personnel and a group that gets comfortable with it.  JMHO.

Becton can be arguably their best asset in gap scheme and so can AVT.  Herbig too.  Mitchell was destined to be swing anyway and he didnt come from zone blocking team in college to my recollection.  Zone blocking requires a lot of coaching/teaching/time to implement and they should never have done that in 1st place.  Not while trying to break in rookie raw QB from small school.

Breece I am not worried about...Carter was meh.. Bam is wildcard.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Why are people actually complaining? I am so utterly confused. 

How many opening drives are we going to go scoreless? How many GAMES are we going to go without scoring ONE touchdown? How many touchdowns did we score the last 3 games combined? Our entire coaching staff lacks experience. We need someone that can come in here and develop young talent. 

The Jets will always make Jetsy moves but this is not a bad move. Some of you just simply love to complain. 

Couldn’t have said it better. 

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm only posting this because I think it's funny.  I wasn't a huge fan of MLF or anything but he probably would've been fine if the offense was  reasonably healthy and ZW had even been decent.

I really don’t get what happened with MLF. He was wildly creative last year and showed flashes this year moving the football w/non-ZW QBs. And then he just completely shutdown over the final quarter of the season. Something must have happened bc he called the most vanilla garbage I’ve ever seen. We’ll find out eventually.