Benton and Calabrese out

SR24

12 minutes ago, CapeCoralJetFan said:

It would be nice if we could pry away the QB coach from the 49'ers. This was his 1st year as a QB coach & really coached up Purdy.

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/brian-griese

And he is the son of an all time great QB, was a starting QB in the NFL as well. Guess it depends on his relationship with Saleh.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Just an aside.. Miami switched to the same blocking scheme this year and their line was a mess too (an even bigger mess than it was previously which is achievement). They did see some progress as the year went on, but still a huge problem for them. 

interesting - thanks for the info, I was not aware.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Just an aside.. Miami switched to the same blocking scheme this year and their line was a mess too (an even bigger mess than it was previously which is achievement). They did see some progress as the year went on, but still a huge problem for them. 

I hope the new OC goes back to a gap/power scheme.......implementing Wide Zone takes time that this regime doesn't necessarily have

48 minutes ago, Lith said:

No surprise.  New OC is going to want to bring in his guys.  If we fired the OC, may as well clean house.

Yeah this is encouraging. The offense sucks, and with MLF out the door there's no one left here that's a "must retain this guru" position coach. The CV of every offensive coach, outside of Benton really, was jaw-dropping incompetent (or, as I put it 2 weeks ago, arrogant). 

On top of the addition by subtraction on its face, it has to make the vacant OC job more attractive that there won't be any force-feeding of guys who helped get the last OC fired. Hope so, anyway. If not outright getting hiring privileges, any veteran candidate would sure get to strongly suggests the hires of the replacement position coaches on offense, and the team would likely comply with all or most. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, undertow said:

I was waiting for the John Benton truther....I knew one would show up eventually.

He was a pretty big get.  He was basically a lateral from the 49ers.  One of the few guys they took from that staff.  I get letting the new guy pick his own staff but Benton would have been a guy I'd have wanted to let interview. Wonder where he lands and who we end up with.

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

It's complicated. You have to know what the guys next to you are doing. When the guys next to you change every single freaking week, it makes it even harder.

• Upvote 3

You guys are down on Benton?  Guy seemed like a magician to me.  Getting the to perform with whatever sh*t they kept sending out there.  The fact they were able to beat the Bills with Cederic Ogbuehi starting at RT? 

If Benton is a magician the Patriots and Bills must be really something for how they got Van Rotten and McDermott to play.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

23 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was a pretty big get.  He was basically a lateral from the 49ers.  One of the few guys they took from that staff.  I get letting the new guy pick his own staff but Benton would have been a guy I'd have wanted to let interview. Wonder where he lands and who we end up with.

If they aren't going with the 49ers offense anymore, he's far less crucial.

They shouldn't be tailoring an offense or base blocking schemes around a player who has seen the field for half of one game (less, considering the D was on the field more than the O) over the past 2 seasons combined. But if they did shift to more man-blocking it might make Becton more of an asset than he'd probably have been even if he was on the field. Plus if they stick with Brown on the roster, too, he's also just so huge and at this point he may be more suited to manning up. LT3 can go faik right now. 

The communication issues on that left side were pretty terrible at times. So often I'd see one of those two standing there, not so much getting beat but one of them was engaged with a rusher & the other standing in his zone as a second rusher just ran right by him, as though the not-engaged OLman took the attitude of, "Hey, that guy making a bee-line for the QB, he's not my responsibility. I'm supposed to be in this one spot right here." Benton has to take a lot of blame for even my amateur eyes seeing this 2 years into his tenure.

• Upvote 4

Calabrese not being fired. He will likely be reassigned or will see his role change, but imagine that will be the new OC's call. 

The Jets initially hired him because they felt he could be a passing game coordinator/offensive coordinator down the line. He has a good feel for offense conceptually, has good ideas, showed an ability to be a creative play designer in college, is apparently good at game planning, and some believe he can be a good play caller. They still believe these things, but he simply was not ready to take on the position of full-time QB coach without any support... Mike LaFleur does not have a deep NFL background working and coaching QBs, and leaving Calabrese to do it all on his own was a big mistake. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

I hope the new OC goes back to a gap/power scheme.......implementing Wide Zone takes time that this regime doesn't necessarily have

Just now, JetPotato said:

It's complicated. You have to know what the guys next to you are doing. When the guys next to you change every single freaking week, it makes it even harder.

It was a concern I had when they decided to move to it. Even if you have 5 guys that can do it.. that's not enough because it's likely one of those guys will be out at some point then the juggling begins.. this guy is out.. that guy gets moved over here and this backup is now in over there. Tough scheme to execute without having guys who know and are comfortable with it. A lot of growing pains for a team that didn't really have the time to put it in place.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

Calabrese not being fired. He will likely be reassigned or will see his role change, but imagine that will be the new OC's call. 

The Jets initially hired him because they felt he could be a passing game coordinator/offensive coordinator down the line. He has a good feel for offense conceptually, has good ideas, showed an ability to be a creative play designer in college, is apparently good at game planning, and some believe he can be a good play caller. They still believe these things, but he simply was not ready to take on the position of full-time QB coach without any support... Mike LaFleur does not have a deep NFL background working and coaching QBs, and leaving Calabrese to do it all on his own was a big mistake. 

I heard Frank Reich loves Calabrese.?

2 minutes ago, Hex said:

Ithink it’s a little more than that. The whole offense struggled more than it should have, even with Zach sucking.

Losing 26 Offensive Linemen and your only good RB to injury has that effect.

Hell, the Jets called both me AND @The Crusher to see if we could play Guard for that final week.....

The only problem bigger than QB for the NY Jets is the constant, massive, injury bug our team seems to encounter year, after year, after year, ad nauseum.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1