TOP 10 JETS NEEDS GOING INTO 2023 OFFSEASON

4 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion looking at the roster as it stands right now.......

1. QUARTERBACK
    Obviously, the Jets need to find a Quarterback.  Mike White is an UFA and will likely be gone.  Flacco is also a UFA.  Whether it's a veteran starter or a high draft pick, they need another QB to compete with Wilson or allow them to sit Wilson for another year (kick the can down the road).  Whatever it is, QB is priority #1 this off season
  2. STARTING INSIDE LINEBACKER
    CJ Mosley is good but vastly over paid.  Quincy Williams is an UFA.  If they can rework CJ's contract and re-sign Quincy, great.  If not, pick #13 is in play here.  A free agent LB will also likely be signed.
  3. STARTING CENTER
    Connor McGovern is a UFA.  With Brown, Tomlinson, Vera-Tucker, Becton, and Mitchell all coming back there's at least some potential at G/T, but the cupboard is bare at center - another potential target area for pick #13 or even #43.  
  4. WHATEVER OFFENSIVE LINE POSITION ALIJAH VERA-TUCKER IS NOT
    If AVT is a tackle, we need to find a starting quality Guard, if AVT is a guard, we need to find a starting quality tackle.  (Even if Becton and Mitchell report to camp at 100%)
  5. STARTING SAFETY
    Jordan Whitehead played okay, but Lamarcus Joyner is a UFA.  Ashtyn Davis is more of a special teamer.  Tony Adams has some potential.  Will Parks is tough but not a starter.  
  6. STARTING DEFENSIVE TACKLE
    Quinnen Williams is a monster....even if UFAs Sheldon Rankins and/or Nathan Sheppard are re-signed, there is still a need for another top-tier interior defensive lineman
  7. PLACEKICKER
    Zuerlein is a UFA.  Even if he is re-signed, still expect another vet or top UDFA to be brought in for camp competition
  8. STARTING OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
    Kwon Alexander is an UFA.  Position isn't a high priority in the Jets' scheme, but they need somebody.  Re-signing Kwon should be a priority, otherwise they have to sign another free agent or invest a 2nd day draft pick
  9. BACK UP WIDE RECIEVER
    Wilson, Davis, and Moore...okay, that's not bad.  But the next guys up are Berrios & Mims.  If we can get a legit NFL WR to come in and be the 4th WR, we might be on to something - it's going to have to be an aging vet or maybe a 3rd/4th round pick - not a superstar, but a guy who can contribute
  10. BACK UP CORNERBACK
    Sauce, Reed, and Carter are a great Top 3.  After that, it's Echols or Hall  - a 4th CB to guard against injuries and help on ST would not be a luxury

Good list. I think who they get for qb depends on how they really feel about zwilson and how long it will take him to wash off the stink. I think they will cut Davis. I’m kind of surprised the punter isn’t on this list he hasn’t been shown much love lately.

• Upvote 2

OC is first and foremost. Punter needs to be up there. Also we don’t have Corey Davis next year. He will be gone and don’t want him anyways.  A wide receiver is definitely a need, with underperforming, selfish Elijah Moore, but not the price of Hopkins. I like Greg the leg. Don’t need a kicker. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. QUARTERBACK
    Obviously, the Jets need to find a Quarterback.  Mike White is an UFA and will likely be gone.  Flacco is also a UFA.  Whether it's a veteran starter or a high draft pick, they need another QB to compete with Wilson or allow them to sit Wilson for another year (kick the can down the road).  Whatever it is, QB is priority #1 this off season
    CJ Mosley is good but vastly over paid.  Quincy Williams is an UFA.  If they can rework CJ's contract and re-sign Quincy, great.  If not, pick #13 is in play here.  A free agent LB will also likely be signed.
  3. STARTING CENTER
    Connor McGovern is a UFA.  With Brown, Tomlinson, Vera-Tucker, Becton, and Mitchell all coming back there's at least some potential at G/T, but the cupboard is bare at center - another potential target area for pick #13 or even #43.  
    If AVT is a tackle, we need to find a starting quality Guard, if AVT is a guard, we need to find a starting quality tackle.  (Even if Becton and Mitchell report to camp at 100%)
  5. STARTING SAFETY
    Jordan Whitehead played okay, but Lamarcus Joyner is a UFA.  Ashtyn Davis is more of a special teamer.  Tony Adams has some potential.  Will Parks is tough but not a starter.  
    Quinnen Williams is a monster....even if UFAs Sheldon Rankins and/or Nathan Sheppard are re-signed, there is still a need for another top-tier interior defensive lineman
  7. PLACEKICKER
    Zuerlein is a UFA.  Even if he is re-signed, still expect another vet or top UDFA to be brought in for camp competition
    Kwon Alexander is an UFA.  Position isn't a high priority in the Jets' scheme, but they need somebody.  Re-signing Kwon should be a priority, otherwise they have to sign another free agent or invest a 2nd day draft pick
  9. BACK UP WIDE RECIEVER
    Wilson, Davis, and Moore...okay, that's not bad.  But the next guys up are Berrios & Mims.  If we can get a legit NFL WR to come in and be the 4th WR, we might be on to something - it's going to have to be an aging vet or maybe a 3rd/4th round pick - not a superstar, but a guy who can contribute
  10. BACK UP CORNERBACK
    Sauce, Reed, and Carter are a great Top 3.  After that, it's Echols or Hall  - a 4th CB to guard against injuries and help on ST would not be a luxury

Starting Punter before any backups please.

14 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. QUARTERBACK
  3. STARTING CENTER
  5. STARTING SAFETY
  7. PLACEKICKER
  9. BACK UP WIDE RECIEVER
  10. BACK UP CORNERBACK

Nice topic and I don't have anything in particular to add but... 

We have 6 draft picks and we'd be very lucky to score 2 starters.  I can't image we'd get more than 3-4 slightly above average players in FA.  So please pare your list down from 10 to 5 or 6.  Ty in advance.  :)    

4 hours ago, Hex said:

That's what they said about JD and PKs. Then he got Zeurlein over here.

Don't underestimate him.

I guess overestimating him is bad too. Just don't estimate him.

I gotta say .. when the Leg showed up .. I think I literally fainted.

5 hours ago, Arsis said:

QB OL and LB

Now that  LaFleur is  gone the idea of drafting a QB and developing him no longer gives me Agita. Really doesn’t matter if we don’t  fix the O line both starting talent and depth. Deep down fingers crossed for Becton growing up, trimming down  and coming in to play finally. 

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

STARTING CENTER

Think this should be #2... JMO, but great list.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

STARTING CENTER

WHATEVER OFFENSIVE LINE POSITION ALIJAH VERA-TUCKER IS NOT

This is my myopic focus. With only 6 draft picks, the Jets cannot go into next season without at least 1 draft pick starting on the O-Line. We cant afford to skip on Paris Johnson to take a WR or LBer, because the opportunity might not be there in rounds 2-7. At the very least, they should be able to draft a Guard who can start. I won't be happy, but I understand how the draft plays out. 

• Upvote 2

The Jets really need to hit on the UN-drafted FAs and/or waiver this off-season more than any. They have mediocre drafts pick, some bloated contracts, players that need replacing, expiring contracts, and big fat hole at QB. 

JD/Hogan will need to be better than they have ever been in their lives to build 2023 roster.

• Sympathy 2

IMO the Jets have only 4 player needs that MUST be addressed this off-season and 3 can be easily addressed in the draft. With average starters at these 4 positions, the Jets are a double digit win team that can compete with Buffalo for the division crown.

LT - draft

C - draft

FS - draft

QB - free agent

Aside from players, the Jets need coaches -  OC, O line, WR and perhaps some additional like pass game or run game coordinators. I am hoping for an experienced OC who has a history or scheming to his talent. If the Chargers fire Staley, I think Joe Lombardi would be an excellent candidate for OC.

• Upvote 3

The eternal optimist in me is kinda glad Zach sucked so poorly this year.

Just think, if he played at a mediocre, or just below mediocre level, sure we may have made the playoffs (and been ousted in round 1), but no way would QB be high on the priority list.  This offseason would be all about "progressing Zach" instead of finding a real answer at QB.

Because of HOW bad Zach sucked, it is the clear cut #1 most pressing need for this team AND the owner, FO, and coaching staff knows this AND, probably most importantly, there will actually be some viable vet options available in the offseason.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

The Jets really need to hit on the UN-drafted FAs and/or waiver this off-season more than any. They have mediocre drafts pick, some bloated contracts, players that need replacing, expiring contracts, and big fat hole at QB. 

JD/Hogan will need to be better than they have ever been in their lives to build 2023 roster.

Nice post but in a way I feel like this is true for every team every offseason (if you ignore QB)

• Upvote 1

Let me put on my negative hat.  

We are entering into JD's fourth draft/FA period.   We can say he is in his fifth year.  I am not disagreeing with any of Sarge's needs, but that is alot of holes for a team Year 4 of the rebuild.  

But in any event...

1-QB-the only QB on the roster is the 2 pick that has currently, subject to rehab, has busted.  That is a double screwup-where is the young back up?  the Morgan pick could have been that.   There should be at least 2 QBs with potential on the roster.

2-ILB-you find these guys in lower rounds.  We should have been able to move on from Mosley now, but we may be stuck with him-or we should be stuck with him based on expected performance.

3-Center-Everyone praised JD for his contracts with 2 year outs, yet CM and Fant were kept three years at $10mm/year.  There should have been a developmental C on the roster to take over for CM, this upcoming season or last season.  There is no one.   So now we either have to pay him to keep CM (FT is too expensive), pay another FA, or box ourselves into drafting one rd 2 despite value.  My vote is draft.

4-T-Fant is expiring, Brown is old and injured, and Becton is a coinflip if a bust.  We can't keep Fant-he should have been his best self last season.   We should have "convinced" Moses to stay.  Mitchell is the right idea and has potential...as a zone block T.  Are we keeping that?  Another mess, but we could theoretically draft our way out of this problem at 13 (but Ts always go higher than originally projected-13 is low to draft a starting T historically).  

5-S-three years of drafting, and we have Ashtyn Davis and Pinnock starting for the Giants.  Where is the pipeline?  Another missed opportunity.   I think we have to draft our way out of this too.

6-DT-QW drafted by Mac, good find in JFM (who can't be cut from his expensive "short term" contract), and the high RAS prospect was stolen by the Steelers because we gave Shepherd a roster spot.  Mismanagement.  Shepherd and Rankins are FAs who are too expensive.  

7-PK-Hopefully Zuerlein stays.  I continue to wonder why teams don't use low round draft picks for excellent kickers.  Seems like the best value for those picks. 

8-OLB-We drafted a bunch of guys who apparently were not developed and can't play.  "Convince" Kwon and Quincy to stay and see if someone can work out.  We have too many other needs to draft one. 

9-WR-we started 2022 thinking we had a top WR core.  Moore is a mess now, Mims is adrift, Berrios expired, and Corey Davis is always hurt and probably too expensive.  13 could be the best place to pick a WR.

10-CB-JD actually did a decent job drafting these guys.  Hall and Echols are ok.  Hall seems adrift though.  Could always use more.  

So if I am JD I am using my entire draft for offense and filling in pieces on defense in FA.  

Plan A is to sign a veteran QB, and that would require terminating expensive contracts.

Plan B is to sign a stop gap, still use draft picks for offense, which could require trading up for a QB.

• Sympathy 1

Pretty solid list. 

Hard to rank this list simply because, well, some of these positions are COMPLETELY vacant because of FAs. 

So yeah, technically, we have no starting C, no starting OLB, no starting K and no starting DT next to Q. Obviously some of these guys will be brought back. 

But if we are ranking them 1-10. I disagree about ILB being #2. CJ may not be in the prime of his career and a liability in coverage. But he's still under contract and a solid linebacker. And we also have Sherwood, who has looked pretty good whenever he's gotten opportunities this year. Its actually not a position I am massively concerned about. If CJ gets cut as a cap casualty, we have Sherwood and don't nec. need to panic. Should be much lower on the list. OLB on the other hand is a much bigger concern. Quincy and Kwon, who are technically OLBs, are FAs and we have little to no depth.

CB probably does not need to be on this list. Sure put it #10. But Echols is just fine as the #4 CB. Hall should be cut- he seems to have fallen off a cliff. Instead of Corner I would put PUNTER at #10. We technically have Mann under contract but he is maddeningly inconsistent. We can do better.