What if we don't get the big boys?

oldjetman

Think Jimmy G is the next best option but his injury history would make me hesitant. We really don’t want to invite a scenario where Wilson is forced into play. Whether Zach is broken permanently or not, I really don’t want to see him on the field next year. If he’s going to put it together, it’s later on, clearly not now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

Jets fans are definitely setting themselves up for disappointment.

Carr does not want to come here.  Rodgers is a pipe dream.  Lamar is not leaving the Ravens.

The answer is pretty simple in my opinion.  It's going to be Jimmy Garoppolo.

He has a 40-17 career record as a starter.  He completes over 67% of his passes.  He has a 2-1 TD:INT ratio.  He has a connection with Robert Saleh in San Francisco.  He has deep knowledge of the Shanahan offense.  He can be brought on board at a reasonable price (no draft picks and mid level starter money).  He provides an opening for the continued development of Zach Wilson, which is something the front office appears to want.

The Jets need stability and consistency at the quarterback position.  They need someone who knows how to win.  Jimmy Garoppolo provides much of what the Jets are looking for, and it's not going to break the bank to bring him in.  It won't be the most popular move, but Jimmy G is a step above anyone the Jets have had since the last time they were relevant.  He takes this team from a pretender to a contender.  Solid, consistent quarterback play is what this team needs the most.

How anyone can mention consistent QB play and Jimmy G in the same sentence is beyond me. The guy can't stay on the field.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

How anyone can mention consistent QB play and Jimmy G in the same sentence is beyond me. The guy can't stay on the field.

When healthy.

He's actually the perfect QB for a team that wants to develop Zach Wilson and still thinks he has a future.

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Sounds like you didn't see him play in 2022, honestly.  

It is a connection, true.

And we should?  :-k

Coming here would be more of the same, Wentz going to QB desperate teams with histories of QB mismanagement.  Why would here be different than say, DC, who was every bit as talented roster-wise last year as we were?

I watched the 49ers game and he wasn’t terrible then he wasn’t amazing either. Compared to who else is the point I’m making? Brisette? Minshew? Baker? I’d take Wentz over guys like that. He’s like 4th on my list not including  Carr and Rodgers, it’s not like im banging the table for him 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

You need to have a QB to be able to compete with them. The defenses don't hold up like they used to. The Eagles just put up 35 against the best defense in the NFL, that tells you all you need to know. 

I think you are really removing context when you say that the eagles scored 35 on SF.

First off SF was off the field on 4th and 3 but the refs missed Smith's drop which led to the first score.  

They also scored a TD after SF's 4th string QB fumbled before the half.

I also think contextually, when you are facing a QB who cant throw more then 5 yards you are in good field position etc.

I understand that Defense is harder in 2023 then it was in 2000 and we arent gonna see many 85 bears but my point is that you absolutely need a good defense if you dont have Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, etc as that will allow a young QB to develop without constantly being behind in games.

37 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

If we don't get Carr or Rodgers, 2023 will again be a boring, lost season. JD and Saleh will be fired in January 2024 and back to square one with a coach who is currently a DC in another organization that's never been a HC at any level before.

This sums it up perfectly.

28 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I think you are really removing context when you say that the eagles scored 35 on SF.

First off SF was off the field on 4th and 3 but the refs missed Smith's drop which led to the first score.  

They also scored a TD after SF's 4th string QB fumbled before the half.

I also think contextually, when you are facing a QB who cant throw more then 5 yards you are in good field position etc.

I understand that Defense is harder in 2023 then it was in 2000 and we arent gonna see many 85 bears but my point is that you absolutely need a good defense if you dont have Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, etc as that will allow a young QB to develop without constantly being behind in games.

In the playoffs the winning teams in each round averaged 30 pts per game. If you don't have a top QB in this league your ceiling is the divisional round regardless of how good your defense is. That's a fact. 

If the Jets can't/don't get Rodgers or Carr, then focus on the OL:

1. QB: sign JAG FA QB1.  See if MW will come back cheaply as QB2.  If ZW can't get traded for a decent pick (and I suspect he can't), then he comes back as QB3.  

2. OT: sign quality FA starting OT.  Draft best available OT in first round.

3. C...sign decent or JAG starting C, or resign McGovern if he comes cheaply.  Draft C prospect somewhere in rounds 2-4.

I think the Jets have fumbled the OL situation as bad as the QB one.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, oldjetman said:

Let's assume we don't get Rodgers or Carr. I know I'll get raked over the coals for this but my opinion is to get the best available veteran remaining and then draft a QB with our top pick. I can hear the boos raining down on me already  but I don't agree in giving up on the draft after our previous  failures. Yes, we might be reaching a bit and yes, we need o-line but a decent QB for this year and beyond is our number 1 priority. If we need to trade-up a few spots do it. Or, maybe trade down a few spots, still get our guy, and pick up an extra pick or two. We start the veteran and see how it goes with the rookie. I know it's a big gamble but all of the veteran QB options are gambles also. I'll be interested in hearing your views on the rookie QBs who may be available for the Jets. As far as the o-line worries, I think we are in better shape than many believe. We do need a tackle and a new center would be nice but we were decimated by injuries last year and the o-line was never able to develop chemistry. AVT will make a huge difference. Fire away!

Baker Mayfield if they miss out on Carr or Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, oldjetman said:

Let's assume we don't get Rodgers or Carr. I know I'll get raked over the coals for this but my opinion is to get the best available veteran remaining and then draft a QB with our top pick. I can hear the boos raining down on me already  but I don't agree in giving up on the draft after our previous  failures. Yes, we might be reaching a bit and yes, we need o-line but a decent QB for this year and beyond is our number 1 priority. If we need to trade-up a few spots do it. Or, maybe trade down a few spots, still get our guy, and pick up an extra pick or two. We start the veteran and see how it goes with the rookie. I know it's a big gamble but all of the veteran QB options are gambles also. I'll be interested in hearing your views on the rookie QBs who may be available for the Jets. As far as the o-line worries, I think we are in better shape than many believe. We do need a tackle and a new center would be nice but we were decimated by injuries last year and the o-line was never able to develop chemistry. AVT will make a huge difference. Fire away!

If we don't get one of the TOP QBs. We should be able to get a much cheaper vet and free up enough cap space to take care of other critical holes on our roster (OT, C, etc). If our QB will no longer cost 25+ mil a year and will now cost 8-12mil a year, that helps a lot with other FA talent we can add to the O-line, etc.  

As far drafting a QB and even drafting one early, I have nothing against it. 

Right now, these are the top QB prospects on the board before a substantial drop off in talent, IMO. And mind you, Richardson and Levis are considered particularly 'raw'. 

Bryce Young, C.J. Stroud, Will Levis, Anthony Richardson. 

The Jets select 13th overall. I counted approx. 6 teams who may consider taking a QB with their first pick drafting AHEAD of the Jets. 

2) Houston Texans
4) Indianapolis Colts
7) Las Vegas Raiders
8) Atlanta Falcons
9) Carolina Panthers
11) Tennessee Titans

You can find great QBs late in the first round, in the second, etc. But if the Jets want to take a swing at a top rated QB prospect in this draft they will need to move up a substantial amount. Don't get me wrong, there's a chance a guy like Richardson slides to them at 13. But he's super raw and a big gamble. If you want one of Young, Stroud or Levis, how much are you willing to give up? Enough to jump ahead of the Raiders at 7? Probably to 5?  

Otherwise, we are looking at Hooker, McKee, Bo Nix, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, Clayton Tune, Haener, Cameron Ward, Jaren Hall, etc. Guys that, for the most part, I don't think anybody is getting too excited about. 

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

In the playoffs the winning teams in each round averaged 30 pts per game. If you don't have a top QB in this league your ceiling is the divisional round regardless of how good your defense is. That's a fact. 

Scores from the Divisional Round:

27-20

38-7

27-10

19-12

Scores from the Conference Championship games:

31-7

23-20 - This game featured the 2 best QBs in the NFL and neither team got to 30.

It is Woodys job to this team more attractive than any other team. If he can't do that then he needs to be forced to sell. If people are turning down the biggest stage in the world (playing pro ball in NY) then there is reason to force a sell for cause and conduct decremental to the league.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I would love this. I said it two months ago and I still think moving up into the top 10 to grab him would be our best move this offseason. 
i’d sign a Brissett type or Mike White and let Stroud sit and learn whatever he needs to until he’s ready.

Stroud would be playing week 2 if white is the starter 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Stroud would be playing week 2 if white is the starter 

Assuming the Jets obviously have a 3rd (2nd string in this case) veteran QB if you drafted a rookie (Stroud) with the intention of sitting him at least a year.

Hopefully it’s not Wilson. If it is, then White couldn’t be brought back. It would have to be the Brissett type option.

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Come on, Dice, wtf is wrong with you today?You’re lost in this thread.

You would obviously have a 3rd (2nd string in this case) veteran QB if you drafted a rookie (Stroud) with the intention of sitting him at least a year.

I’d be okish with drafting stroud, but I have no faith anymore with developing qbs. If someone like Quentin Johnson was there I’d much rather go that way. 

So you’re saying sign a vet, sign MW, Draft Stroud, and still have Zach on the roster? MW doesn’t fit in the equation for me there 

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

I’d be okish with drafting stroud, but I have no faith anymore with developing qbs. If someone like Quentin Johnson was there I’d much rather go that way. 

So you’re saying sign a vet, sign MW, Draft Stroud, and still have Zach on the roster? MW doesn’t fit in the equation for me there 

I agree about the 4th QB, and to be honest I meant to edit this post and add that the Mike White option would not be viable if Zach was still on the roster.
You had already replied though so I didn’t think that would be the right thing to do once you quoted me.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, neckdemon said:

jimmy g is literally the worst option we can pursue at ab. a severely injury prone jag. would be a huge waste of money and our backup would end up being the qb next year. stay clear of that injury prone garbage

This is what I think.

JG benefited from Shanny designed YAC, and is guaranteed to miss a handful of games…

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, oldjetman said:

Playing old below average vets is why we are here.  We passed on a few good QBs while jerking off to Fitz and McCown.  

14 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Jets fans are definitely setting themselves up for disappointment.

Carr does not want to come here.  Rodgers is a pipe dream.  Lamar is not leaving the Ravens.

The answer is pretty simple in my opinion.  It's going to be Jimmy Garoppolo.

He has a 40-17 career record as a starter.  He completes over 67% of his passes.  He has a 2-1 TD:INT ratio.  He has a connection with Robert Saleh in San Francisco.  He has deep knowledge of the Shanahan offense.  He can be brought on board at a reasonable price (no draft picks and mid level starter money).  He provides an opening for the continued development of Zach Wilson, which is something the front office appears to want.

The Jets need stability and consistency at the quarterback position.  They need someone who knows how to win.  Jimmy Garoppolo provides much of what the Jets are looking for, and it's not going to break the bank to bring him in.  It won't be the most popular move, but Jimmy G is a step above anyone the Jets have had since the last time they were relevant.  He takes this team from a pretender to a contender.  Solid, consistent quarterback play is what this team needs the most.

Always hurt.

Mediocre at best.

Team thought so little of him that they paid a heavy price to draft his replacement.

At the very bottom of my list of potential available QBs

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Are you implying FA QB's won't be knocking down the door to play for Hackett?

laughing%20hysterically%20gif.gif

Would you…

Trade up to #1 for BY if they can’t get Rodgers?

Some team is going to mortgage their future to get up there.

Young looks like a right-handed Tua with better wheels, except smaller and frailer.

Dude has to torque his entire body to chuck it more than 15 yards.  Looks like a javelin thrower who has to do that run up to generate the momentum to heave it downfield.