I want the Jets next QB to be...

Maxman

I want the Jets next QB to be...  

195 members have voted

1. 1. I want the Jets next QB to be...

1 hour ago, Stark said:

don't think it takes 2 first rd picks to get Rodgers 1 first probably on a condition for a second season.

also you get Rodgers, JD will know that he needs to be looking for another option after the 2nd year, he would re-structure the deal in a way that doesn't screw us. 

Is that even possible though?  From what I've heard - assuming he retires after 2 years - you're stuck with $50M dead cap that you can either take on all at once or spread over the course of two years.  Either way it'll drastically hurt our chances of building a competitive team.  Basically it's either tank for one year, or try to get by with a less-than team for two.  

All of them have warts and question marks. I picked Tom Shane because he is full of warts but no question marks, I am certain he would be terrible. That being said Aaron Rodgers is probably the best option. He had an average year for him, was it the broken thumb, old age, or possibly disinterested but can’t turn down the money?

Carr may or may not be able to handle the pressures of NY as well the question of his performance in colder weather.

Jackson, Garoppolo, and Tannehill have injury concerns. Jackson would cost a ton of draft compensation to acquire.

I loved watching Baker at Oklahoma and wanted us to draft him. After watching him for 4 years he is probably a backup level NFL QB.

Tom Shane would lock us into the #1 pick in ‘24. It would be an ugly ‘23 after he got hurt on the 1st play of game 1 and Zach would take over.

20 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Is that even possible though?  From what I've heard - assuming he retires after 2 years - you're stuck with $50M dead cap that you can either take on all at once or spread over the course of two years.  Either way it'll drastically hurt our chances of building a competitive team.  Basically it's either tank for one year, or try to get by with a less-than team for two.  

not 100% sure on specifics but Rodgers did say that he knows his deal will need to be re-worked/adjusted.

if there is 1 thing that JD is pretty good at it is managing the contracts and right now JD is thinking he's got 3 seasons before hes got. Breece, G Wilson and JJ to decide on. and AVT is going to get a chunk too.. 

we aren't in the best spot with Zach looking lost. I think JD drafts well enough and finds FA without blowing the bank (at least to this point) that im not too concerned with what happens in 3 years. what we know is the salary cap keeps going up and is easily manipulated. 

l am hoping we get to find out what JD would do.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Did you watch the MVP 2 years in a row one year prior to them taking away all his WR's ?

So he was good because he had davante adams, good to hear.

Tom Brady had total nobodies at Wr and still made their team successful, Patrick Mahommes had the elite TE but his wrs were nothing special, if Aaron needs a host of all pros is he that awesome?

He still had a good rookie in christian watson, still had two outstanding rbs, still had a very good defense and he failed.

Not only that the eye test showed missed throws bad throws , poor decisions. 

Lamar is the dream ticket, but that probably doesn't happen.

Rodgers is an all-time great, who is likely to be obtainable.

If we can't get either of those guys, there are loads of lesser options that could work - Tannehill would be fine, Mayfield would be a wildcard lottery ticket.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think putting pressure on a young QB can be a big much.   Zach Wilson seems to have cracked.  Sanchez floated up there for a bit and then crashed.  I prefer the idea of a mid-level guy and a draft pick that isn't seen as the savior.  If the draft pick is lightyears ahead roll with him (Russell Wilson), if not let Tannehill or whatever other sh*thead play.  Remember Wilson's rookie year they had let Flacco run off to Philly - where he played that role for Hurts.  It was between White, Morgan and Wilson and Wilson would automatically have been considered a flop if he didn't start week 1.   

Agreed  Sanchez had the team lift him up and propels them to two AFC championship games in a row in which he played pretty well Then as third year QB when you expect his experience would take over he proved that he just wasn’t good enough   
Build the team , have a veteran QB run the team and the Jets will be successful    draft a young QB and let him learn then hand the reins over to him then we will have sustained success 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Aaron Rodgers is head and shoulders better than other QBs available. However, the Jets QB discussion involving Aaron Rodgers MUST always include the fact that he wants to stay in Green Bay, and when push comes to shoves, he will adjust what needs to be done so he can stay in Green Bay. It is not about not wanting Rodgers. Rodgers does not want any other place but Green Bay. He has said since the start of his career, he has said it along the way, and he has said it recently. He sees Green Bay as his home. 

Considering this, the Jets should take the next best QB, which happens to be available today. Derek Carr. There is also a significant gap between Carr and the rest of the pack. Garoppolo is really inury prone, and after that there is an even bigger gap. 

Take Carr now, because Rodgers will eff with the Jets. Deep down, everyone knows that Rodgers will eff the Jets hard. 

Agree, Rodgers is the dream, Carr is the reality.  Garraopolo/Tannehill/Wilson is the nightmare 

• Upvote 1

I don't see how anyone can answer this question without considering the cost to obtain each of the options. Each option could be good or terrible depending on how much it costs to obtain and pay the QB.  

Rodgers at $30 million for two years for a 5th round pick.  Sure

Rodgers at $60 million for one year for two firsts. NFW

Carr at $40 million per for 8 years  with $150 million guaranteed - no

Carr at $35 million per for 4 years with $60 million guaranteed and an out after 2-3 years - sure 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

To me, they’re apples and oranges.
Two completely different type players at opposite points in their career. I don’t understand you and @Mogglez equating the two?

I’d love to get Lamar, but want no part of Rodgers.

My thinking is that Rodgers helps us compete for something special over the next two years, while simultaneously allowing us to figure out if Zach can be fixed or if we should just abandon him after next year, and draft a kid to sit behind Rodgers until he retires, from a far better draft class than the one coming up.

However, I can only speak for myself.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

Tom Shane would lock us into the #1 pick in ‘24. It would be an ugly ‘23 after he got hurt on the 1st play of game 1 and Zach would take over.

this ^ ^ 

except he wouldn't make it to the 1st play of game 1. He'll probably get hurt in the preseason. 

• Haha 1

If people think that Zach can’t handle the ny pressure then just how does anyone expect Carr to handle it? About the only saving grace it’s expected that breece hall comes back in full form and the oline gets reinforced. But if those things happen then the qb field opens up quite a bit.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

At the same time if he becomes available that's going to be part of the reason.  If we want to blame his lack of playmakers and losing his #1 wideout to the Raiders its pretty easy to delude yourself into thinking he will come to the Jets and kill it with our offense. Likely won't come, more than likely if he does come he locks himself in his locker before the third game screaming,"The dark is my friend, the dark is my friend!"

broken thumb on throwing hand, no oline and still very capable of throwing in the wind/rain 

no clue if he will come, but the thumb and rookie WR's that needed time didn't help him statistically. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I wanted to limit this to 7 so @T0mShane took the last spot over Zach Wilson.

If @T0mShane is an option, I choose T0m Shane every time. 

But in truth, I really don't know who I want yet.....which is rare for me tbqh.

I don't want Zach Wilson, on that I am 100% sure.  I don't believe he will ever be good.

But Mayfield?  Minshew?  Tannehill?  All would be big upgrades, or should be.  But kinda disappointingly meh none the less.

Carr?  I have my doubts, I'd pass at his price. Jimmy G?  Too much like Mike White (fragile).  Same for Mike White, since we're on the topic.  Pass.

Rodgers?  Mega-expensive, but could be a real fun two years (car wreck or quality play, either way), while we (I'd hope) develop a young guy behind him.

Here is what I want:  Average of better QB play.  Whomever can bring us that, at the lowest cost, I'm ok with.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

My thinking is that Rodgers helps us compete for something special over the next two years

tenor.gif?itemid=16062594

, while simultaneously allowing us to figure out if Zach can be fixed

giphy.gif

However, I can only speak for myself.

Thumbs-Up-Matt-LeBlanc.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1