Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

I believe his cap hit this year would be about $16M, followed by $32, $45 and $40 the next three seasons.  His base this year is $1.1, plus the Jets would owe him a $58M bonus which would be spread across 4 years -- so just under $15 would hit this year.  We would owe him another bonus next year which causes the cap hits to increase over the last 3 years (2 of which I believe are void years).

Although you can throw all of this out the window if part of the deal involves either Packers paying part of the bonus or AR restructuring.

This is a serious In JD We Trust moment. Early in the process, people were talking about boatloads of picks and $100M cap hits for Rodgers, but this narrative has always failed to recognize the position the Packers are in with his contract. I’m not sure what their hit is if he retires, but cutting him after June 1 would still cost them a $43.6M cap hit. Trading him still costs them, but only $8.7M. There’s a huge incentive for them to make a trade work. Even if it winds up costing them another $10M, they would still save over $25M. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

This is a serious In JD We Trust moment. Early in the process, people were talking about boatloads of picks and $100M cap hits for Rodgers, but this narrative has always failed to recognize the position the Packers are in with his contract. I’m not sure what their hit is if he retires, but cutting him after June 1 would still cost them a $43.6M cap hit. Trading him still costs them, but only $8.7M. There’s a huge incentive for them to make a trade work. Even if it winds up costing them another $10M, they would still save over $25M. 

Wow. Thanks for the perspective. That really elucidates.

As a Jets, Mets and Knicks fan I realize the longer this drags out the less likely it will happen. Carlos Correa and Donovan Mitchell are the most recent examples.

He's had plenty of time to think about this. If it's not done by COB tomorrow then he's likely not coming at all.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, tdoublee said:

As a Jets, Mets and Knicks fan I realize the longer this drags out the less likely it will happen. Carlos Correa and Donovan Mitchell are the most recent examples.

He's had plenty of time to think about this. If it's not done by COB tomorrow then he's likely not coming at all.

Logically speaking, of course it's less likely to happen if it drags out because that means it hasn't happened

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Initially I heard Rodgers would cost $110 mil against the cap so I was dead set against.  Recently I'm hearing his guaranteed $ is only $60 mil.  If so I'm on board.  Can someone who knows what they are talking about please confirm this.

(sorry but I'm not looking back thru 56 pages of this thread for this info :) )  

it's complicated and in the end, depends on how many more years he plays.

with the full caveat that his contract could be restructured or some of the money shifted from the jets to GB upon a trade, based solely on his EXISTING contract the jets would assume and assuming GB is not eating any more money:

in 2023 - rodgers has a $1.2MM base and is due a $58.3MM bonus that must be paid before week 1.  for cap purposes, the bonus is spread over the remaining 4 years of the contract, so the 2023 cap hit to the jets is $15.8MM.

if rodgers calls it quits after 2023, then the jets will have $43.7MM of dead cap space (the remaining 3/4 of the 2023 bonus), to be taken either all in 2024 or split between 24/25 (if called a post june 1 hit)

now, if rodgers decides he wants to play in 2024, he has another $47 million option bonus and a $2.25MM base salary.  the cap hit in 2024 would be something like $32.5MM (1/4 of the 23 bonus + 1/3 of the 24 bonus + base)

if rodgers retires after the 2024 season, the jets would have something like $60 million of dead cap space, to be taken in 2025 or split between 25/26.

of course, it would be likely the contract will be restructured.

it's also likely my math/understanding of the contract is not fully correct...

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, prime21 said:

If GB is holding out for more then I would love ARod to just tweet out a pic of a green tie or fighter Jet with no comment.  Stick it to GB and apply the pressure to give in to the Jedi Master JD.

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Feels like he’s ready to get on board post-cali meeting. Packers just seem to be asking for a little more than they’re willing to pay in terms of eating some of that 59 mill. Joe Douglas doesn’t lose trades. Trust he’s going to talk them back down to whatever realm he needs to in order to get the right price for 12.

This is what’s the most annoying part about this, is the problem the compensation or A Rod saying Yes? Figuring this out is so annoying 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Yep!!  Save money + get draft picks to support Love’s development and give him a chance to start before next year’s decision on his 5th year option.  

The only other alternative besides trade or release is to spitefully keep him and force his retirement.  What good does that do for either side?

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Both teams REALLY benefit from this trade.  Which is why I'd be shocked if it doesn't get done. 

2 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Hey ass hat, stop using that ******* word.  Are you that ******* dumb that your vocabulary is that limited and you can't cover up with a different word? Gfy

The amount of times people have been told to stop using that word here is alarmingly high.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Shows how ignorant and insensitive some people are.

Irony to me is the people who are so called classified by that word (yes I have several immediate family members) are 1000 times the person as those who use it. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, football guy said:

My read on all of this morning's rumors: the Jets came away convinced Rodgers will green light a trade, the team's have reached the finish line on how the contract restructure would work, they have reached an agreement on compensation, and it really all comes down to Rodgers giving the final green light. I don't like that the report even came out... Jets are leaning into their reputation right now. The spotlight is on and the only way they come out of this positively is if the trade gets done. If it doesn't get done it, we are the laughing stock of the NFL on a national level with no games in site to "redeem" their selves. It would be the most "jetsyian" development in the history of the franchise if Rodgers decided to retire instead of playing for the Jets.

Are chances the Jets keep #13 overall good?

27 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

Donald Trump GIF by reactionseditor

• Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 2

2 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Why is everyone saying someone within the organization called this???? 

These players talk and are independent thinkers and likely have wayyyyyy more intel then us 

Plus...what was it, like 3 or 4 players.  If the message from the top was to get on twitter and recruit...that message was a massive failure.

1 minute ago, playtowinthegame said:

Are chances the Jets keep #13 overall good?

I believe there is a really good chance... unless they somehow bring another player from GB with Rodgers.  I think if it is just Rodgers, this years second and a conditional pick from next year will be in play.  But honestly, I will most likely look like an ass for saying that if a trade is done.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I think Lawson would be restructured, rather than cut, but either is possible.  As for OL, we absolutely need an FA Center, and I agree draft is the way to go for a T -- Bakhtiari would be just another question mark to add to the other three Ts on the roster who all are questions heading into the season.

I also think a huge factor in adding Rodgers is how much better the supporting cast on offense will look with a good QB under Center.  OL could look a lot better with a QB who knows how to read a defense, set protections, audible at the line, knows where his hot read will be and can challenge all levels of the defense.

That last part is huge.   Rodgers gets the ball out so friggin quick and teams rarely blitz him because it backfires.   And put safeties in the box and he burns you over the top

55 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

All he has to do is say ok I’m showing up and playing this year. It’d kill their cap and pretty much everything their trying to do. GB has no leverage 

He won’t do that.   1. He’d be sitting on the bench as Jordan Loves backup.  2. Packer nation would never forgive him for effing up our team.   His legacy means something to him 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

My read on all of this morning's rumors: the Jets came away convinced Rodgers will green light a trade, the team's have reached the finish line on how the contract restructure would work, they have reached an agreement on compensation, and it really all comes down to Rodgers giving the final green light. I don't like that the report even came out... Jets are leaning into their reputation right now. The spotlight is on and the only way they come out of this positively is if the trade gets done. If it doesn't get done it, we are the laughing stock of the NFL on a national level with no games in site to "redeem" their selves. It would be the most "jetsyian" development in the history of the franchise if Rodgers decided to retire instead of playing for the Jets.

So par for the course around here.

Hope I’m wrong, but even my nine year old son has been a jets fan long enough to have a good idea how this is going to end 

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

+1

The Jets are beyond "all in" on this.  The only success now is to finish the deal.

If he'd rather retire than play for us, it's just another "Jetsy" moment is a history of Jetsy moments.  We'll survive.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

I believe there is a really good chance... unless they somehow bring another player from GB with Rodgers.  I think if it is just Rodgers, this years second and a conditional pick from next year will be in play.  But honestly, I will most likely look like an ass for saying that if a trade is done.

I hope we don't take on David Bakhtiari. I'd rather draft a young guy for OL depth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1