Jets brining in DT Al Woods for a visit

He’s a veteran space eater and the Jets don’t have anything remotely resembling that with Shepherd out of the picture.

With how things are shaking out, I’d love for the Jets to get either Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton with whichever 2nd rounder they don’t send to Green Bay.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fletcher Cox....  Calais Campbell .....  Al Woods

This is how the jets should be filling spots on the dline cheap vets who it is okay to sub out and give 40% snaps to.

Do not use draft resources.

A couple of months ago I would’ve completely agreed.

But with Rodgers on the horizon and the Jets losing both Rankins and Shepherd, I’ve made a big adjustment on this.

This teams higher ups as presently constructed love a deep DL rotation and as soon as Rodgers becomes official, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lawson becomes a cap casualty and follows the aforementioned players out the door.

If the Jets could have a rotation of, say, Quinnen, Mazi Smith, Al Woods, and Solomon Thomas to stuff the run and apply pressure up the middle, then I think we’re in a pretty good place.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

But with Rodgers on the horizon and the Jets losing both Rankins and Shepherd, I’ve made a big adjustment on this.

This teams higher ups as presently constructed love a deep DL rotation and as soon as Rodgers becomes official, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lawson becomes a cap casualty and follows the aforementioned players out the door.

If the Jets could have a rotation of, say, Quinnen, Mazi Smith, Al Woods, and Solomon Thomas to stuff the run and apply pressure up the middle, then I think we’re in a pretty good place.

I know what you are saying but I am just not happy at all using high draft assets for guys that play maybe 50% of the snaps on their side of the ball.

We put a 2nd round tender on a guy who got like 20% of the snaps at the end of he year.  We traded up to get a guy who played like 35-40% of the snaps.

I'll take an olineman or wr or many other positions that play 95% of the snaps.

I'll also take this opportunity to once again be upset at losing johnathan marshal to pittsburgh last year rather than expose guys who are jags or who left us this off season.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

I have no issue with drafting a DT, but FWIW, I don't think Lawson is going anywhere based on Saleh's comments. 

• Upvote 2

I still remember when the Jets lucked out drafting Jason Ferguson at DT in 1997.  When it comes to run-stuffing DTs who you're not expecting to have the quickness of an Aaron Donald or Quinnen Williams, then you can sometimes find those guys late in the Draft.  I had some hopes with Jonathan Marshall who the Jets drafted in 2021, but that didn't work out.  Think he's with the Steelers now.

I'd like to see the Jets take a DT on Day 3.

14 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have no issue with drafting a DT, but FWIW, I don't think Lawson is going anywhere based on Saleh's comments. 

I think it's become obvious that they aren't just cutting Lawson or Davis unless they can upgrade the position.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

He’s a veteran space eater and the Jets don’t have anything remotely resembling that with Shepherd out of the picture.

With how things are shaking out, I’d love for the Jets to get either Mazi Smith or Keeanu Benton with whichever 2nd rounder they don’t send to Green Bay.

This, Mazi Smith in 2nd is a home run.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, usanyj said:

Have to actually get him in the building… we’ve heard this, “coming for a visit” thing before and sometimes they never actually arrive.

So you’re saying when someone tweets so and so is “coming for a visit”, someone not with the Jets, the tweets aren’t always right? 

6 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Woods ran a 5.2 at his Combine, lowered it to 4.98 at his Pro Day.

Leaped 37''  at 309 lbs.  Has 36'' arms and 11'' hands. 3 coned 7.45,

4.67 shuttles and 1.71 10 at his Pro Day

That was a long time ago, how much faster is he now?  :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

That was a long time ago, how much faster is he now?  :)

Most likely not faster but quite possibly quicker. With experience can come quickness and that can out preform speed. Quickness and anticipation are key elements for longevity of players in the league.

34 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Most likely not faster but quite possibly quicker. With experience can come quickness and that can out preform speed. Quickness and anticipation are key elements for longevity of players in the league.

I can say with great certainty that my 3 cone is not what it was in 1987.

12 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I still remember when the Jets lucked out drafting Jason Ferguson at DT in 1997.  When it comes to run-stuffing DTs who you're not expecting to have the quickness of an Aaron Donald or Quinnen Williams, then you can sometimes find those guys late in the Draft.  I had some hopes with Jonathan Marshall who the Jets drafted in 2021, but that didn't work out.  Think he's with the Steelers now.

I'd like to see the Jets take a DT on Day 3.

The Steelers snatching Jonathan Marshall off the practice squad is a big deal now. He was developing nicely and seemed ready to tae the next step. We are not used to other teams taking our PS players that's for sure

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

The Steelers snatching Jonathan Marshall off the practice squad is a big deal now. He was developing nicely and seemed ready to tae the next step. We are not used to other teams taking our PS players that's for sure

This is exactly right.  Marshall and Pinnock were two lower round draft picks that should have been valuable roster filler.  JD lost them because he kept guys like Shepherd and Joyner.  

• Upvote 2