### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

The past month or so, it doesnt feel like Douglas is going "all in" while Rodgers is still here. He's doing some kind of quasi "we are still planning for the long term but not sacrificing the short term". 

I call BS. We just traded for a 40 yr old hall of fame QB. Start getting him legit ace #1 weapons and an Oline. Not role players like Lazard/Mecole, dumb###. 

This McDonald pick reeks of a long term type move. He better get alot of snaps and make big plays. Not some Jermaine Johnson rookie year BS.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dupe said:

I bet the staff was disappointed not to have a shot at the blue chip offensive lineman. Broderick Jones may have been too raw to start. I bet Rodgers prefers a more experienced WR corps that includes Davis rather than JSN. We have to be sure to keep the teeth in our defense and this guy will contribute immediately. OLB is a need. 

He's not an OLB

Just now, Dupe said:

I bet the staff was disappointed not to have a shot at the blue chip offensive lineman. Broderick Jones may have been too raw to start. I bet Rodgers prefers a more experienced WR corps that includes Davis rather than JSN. We have to be sure to keep the teeth in our defense and this guy will contribute immediately. OLB is a need. 

OLB was a huge need.  The offense is getting major players back from injury and signed 2 FA wrs.  The D can go to average quickly w/o reinforcements. 

• Upvote 1

I would have taken Gonzalez just screw the Pats and you always need CBs. This man (can’t call a 24 year old a kid) maybe decent but will likely be a bust.

If emotions are out of it I would have taken (trade was not on the table) the WR from OSU.

However the giants-jets should have made a the trade 15 to 25 would have helped both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, kthisguy said:

I would have taken Gonzalez just screw the Pats and you always need CBs. This man (can’t call a 24 year old a kid) maybe decent but will likely be a bust.

If emotions are out of it I would have taken (trade was not on the table) the WR from OSU.

However the giants-jets should have made a the trade 15 to 25 would have helped both teams.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Wrs suck too much to trade up for.  Notice how the trades stopped.

6 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

No one and I mean no one had this kid as a first rd prospect. Jd is either a genius or just had another all time blunder. Could have drafted this kid in the second or 3rd. 

mel kiper had him going to the bills in his mock draft

I wanted to slot in Addison here, but I see a fit for McDonald in Buffalo. Although he might not be an every-down player as a rookie, his ceiling is high. I'm a big fan of McDonald's speed game, though he still needs to develop more pass-rush moves.

todd mcshay had him going to the chiefs

Let's close out Round 1 with my No. 25-ranked player for the defending Super Bowl champs. McDonald knows how to get to the quarterback, registering 16.5 sacks and 63 pressures since becoming a starter in 2021. The Chiefs added Charles Omenihu to replace Frank Clark and Carlos Dunlap, but this unit still has room for improvement. McDonald's explosion, bend and burst stand out on tape.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I predict he will beat JJ out for real reps, right away. He's legit and an older prospect ready to go right away. I like him better than Van Ness. Will McDonald IV has a finished spin move like Dwight Freeney. As for reps, Carl Lawson has one year left. Maybe they move JJ to OLB. Will McDonald will earn reps, I believe that to be the case. 

I don't know how much you mess with a guy like that - he's going to work on his body but it's not worth putting 20 pounds on him if it affects his explosion. His also a hustle football first guy. Hasaan Reddick, Brian Burns, maybe even Johnny Abe are decent Comps - I don't give JD credit for much lately but this was a good pick  

I hope you're right. Its hard for me to wrap my head around this when we got like a 1-2 window and our first round pick last year could barely get any pass rush reps. I was just thinking load up for Rodgers. Pats nailed us by trading with Pit knowing they wanted O-line. I don't know how feasible moving JJ to OLB is, but I'm in. I just want to win.

I bet us at +3500 this year early when the Rodgers talk first started. I can hedge that and actually afford to go to the SB which is my dream. I just want to get there, lol

• Upvote 2

Just now, football guy said:

I think anything can happen with him and Corey Davis in camp

Davis is far more justifiable to keep around.  For all of the big talk and potential, the WR position still has a lot of questions after GW.

Lawson on the other hand being ahead of all of JJ, Clemons, and McDonald would be a terrible look.  At the bare minimum JFM would have to move inside full-time to justify Lawson sticking around at all.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I feel like it’s a home run swing. The Jets think they’re going to be in the playoffs with Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence, etc, and the great equalizer in all those matchups is pass rush pressure. Are we as good as the Chiefs, or the Bengals or Bills? Probably not. But if you can **** up the opposing QB a little bit, you have a chance. Think of those Giants-Pats Super Bowls. 

After so many years of taking ILB/S/DT, at least every 1st round pick now is at a premium position.  

• Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

OLB was a huge need.  The offense is getting major players back from injury and signed 2 FA wrs.  The D can go to average quickly w/o reinforcements. 

I don’t know how many more people are going to keep calling him an OLB.  He’s not playing OLB.  He will be playing EDGE.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Figures that one of the few times I like a Jets pick, everyone else hates it. In terms of the player, there’s not much to argue with: McDonald’s workout numbers were nuts (he hit Waldo’s twitch metric). In terms of value, that obviously remains to be seen, but I think the likeliest thing is the Steelers screwed them out of Jones, they felt like 15 was too rich for the DTs, and they don’t think JSN can separate in the pros. If that’s the case I’m not sure who else the pick is supposed to be. An off-ball linebacker? Come on. 

The one issue it raises is that we basically have to go OL at 42 now. Better hope Schmitz or Tippman are there.

The athletic measure that has the greatest positive correlation with EDGE sack production is the 3-cone. MacDonald had a bonkers 3-cone.

Measurables aren’t determinism (ahem, Denzel Mims and Vernon Gholston) but this guy has the physical traits you most often see in perennial double-digit sack guys. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s been said here a lot but every OL does not have to be round 1.  There will be an OL worth taking tomorrow 

Definately. Schmidt or tippman will be there and JD hopefully trades up and gets Blake Freeland who is projected to go around 80.

4 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Why keep worrying what NE does... BB has proved he's not that good at the draft. We had enough edge as we also picked JJ in the first last year. This year is about offense and handing Rodgers everything he needs. GW and Hall are a good start, but having a slot like JSN would have made them even better. Can't rely on Davis as he's never on the field and drops to many passes. JSN or GW would have done well in the slot, and mixing it up on the outside. Especially since we got hosed on the OL we could have had if we stayed at 13. Again JMO.

I don't care about what NE does; my point is that no matter who JD picks most of the board would be unhappy. I can see us passing on him and he becoming a freak on ANY team and poster would be saying 'JD' was too chicken sh*t to take a chance on him. That was really my point.

As far as JSN goes; yep he may be great, but it is not like we didn't sign 2 FA WRs. My guess is that we are not done on O this draft/offseason. JD fell in love with his pick. Sounds like you fell in love with picking JSN. At this point, I am hoping JD was right.

We picked this kid (or old man). At this point calling bust or wasted pick is crazy. Hopefully JD and Saleh know what they are doing. Let's at least wait until OTAs before we flush this pick. This is what happens when you pick in the middle of the first; you often have to take a chance on a player that you love. Anyway, what is done is done - might as well hope for the best.

• Upvote 3