### The Official Draft Day One Discussion Thread ###

Maxman

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Jets are getting hall, becton, AVT and mitchell back from injury and signed 2 FA wrs.  They traded for rodgers.  May have contribution from ruckert.  Offense is completely different. 

2!!!!

2 FA WRs!!!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD took a big swing on a guy tonight who has an athletic profile that correlates the the EDGE rushers you see on the top of the sack lists every years.

Not a guarantee of success but JD is looking for a guy who can self-create FG he edge and force teams to choose who to double.

Not a popular opinion here but I like the player. Yes, probably an overdraft, but outside of size obviously he carries a lot of elite traits and athleticism that we’ve not had in edge rushers in forever. his bend is ridiculous and the rip move is special as well. 

I think this is a weird draft and just a lot of flavor picks happen because it’s filled with comparable depth players. He’s not a guy just getting by on the raw athleticism to win and I see value in him. He can play ball and he does have some upside. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You have to send quarterback killers in waves to beat KC and Cincy. 

We have the guy that might be able to keep up with them now at qb.  

We now have a guy that might make that game saving sack to hold those dudes off. 

When this draft is over we’ll see the jets addressed pass rush and OL.  Just not in the order everyone thought.  

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The jets are going to have a completely new offense.  They’re getting back several guys from injury

That doesn't make it new, thats the same guys who failed the durability test last year.

You comfortable with Becton being healthy for 17 games?  Or AVT?  Or that theothers are anything but replacement level JAG's? 

I'm not. 

Gonna be shame if Rodgers is running for his life just see Davis drop passes like he's done since he got here.

, traded for rodgers

The one thing that's changed meaningfully.

and signed 2 FA wrs.  

Lazard for Moore

Hardman for Berrios

Not exactly massive upgrades here.  Lazard v. Moore may not be an upgrade at all, apart from Lazard's blocking.

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

As a situational pass rusher, he could literally have the best pass rush win rate in the entire NFL… and still only be worthy of being tendered at a 2nd round level.

We know this because Bryce Huff has the best pass rush win rate in the NFL and we tendered him at a 2nd round level.

That’s all well and good but Bryce Huff has 7.5 sacks in 3 years.  That’s why he’s “only worthy” of a second round tender, despite having top win rates.

Im a fan of Huff but the point of a pick like this is to potentially have a guy similar to Micah Parsons/Chandler Jones/Aldon Smith who can bend around Lawson/QW/JFM and actually sack the QB.  Like…get to him fast enough before he releases the ball.

And let’s not pretend our pass rush was incredible last season.  If it weren’t for our secondary and QW’s breakout year, the pass rush would have been terrible.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Warfish said:

That doesn't make it new, thats the same guys who failed the durability test last year.

You comfortable with Becton being healthy for 17 games?  Or AVT?  Or that theothers are anything but replacement level JAG's? 

I'm not. 

Gonna be shame if Rodgers is running for his life just see Davis drop passes like he's done since he got here.

The one thing that's changed meaningfully.

Lazard for Moore

Hardman for Berrios

Not exactly massive upgrades here.  Lazard v. Moore may not be an upgrade at all, apart from Lazard's blocking.

Wrs are better.  OL is getting infusion of new bodies.  Hopefully breece returns.  Ruckert may contribute.  The offense is very different.  

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Just now, JETS SB said:

We took a guy that was likely gone at some point in this 1st round. Maybe we could have traded down and still got him. But it appears we did try to trade down and we couldn’t make it happen. But this guy is not a 3rd round prospect. He will be a stud, plus and play pass rusher. He’s ready now.  No Vernon Gholston type of future upside. This guy is ready to play. Look at the tape. Take some time. He’s a stud. 

If he’s good it doesn’t matter where he was picked.  I agree it does not seem he would have lasted much longer in this draft.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

We now have a guy that might make that game saving sack to hold those dudes off. 

IMG_2276.thumb.jpeg.e8586558ea529d48b2f682e753a269a7.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg.5048f205c57ca851b9d828dc46106129.jpeg

Usually not a good combo if the bolded part is what you’re looking for.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

And you have to factor in that Carl Lawson has only one year left.  

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The two teams that played in the Super Bowl were #1 and #2 in sacks last season

They were also #1/#1 and #3/#3 in Offense (Yards/Points Scored).

Offense got them there, both were better at offense than Defense, although Eagles were great at both.

Like I said, we'll see if this rotational tweener contributes at all these next two years.

Or if last year's version of this guy, JJ, ever shows up.

Or if the FA version of this guy, Lawson, ever shows up.....

Or if our O doesn't screw Rodgers due to fragility and lack of any depth at all.

2 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

We took a guy that was likely gone at some point in this 1st round. Maybe we could have traded down and still got him. But it appears we did try to trade down and we couldn’t make it happen. But this guy is not a 3rd round prospect. He will be a stud, plus and play pass rusher. He’s ready now.  No Vernon Gholston type of future upside. This guy is ready to play. Look at the tape. Take some time. He’s a stud. 

They, literally, said they had offers but Douglas viewed him as “too good to pass on.”

• More Ugh 1

19 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

I hate this ******* pick. 

There was NO AMOUNT extra draft picks to trade down that JD would have taken? He's gotta take WILL ****IN MCDONALD, RIGHT NOW?!

Jesus tap dancing Christ

Please don’t use the name of the Lord in vain speech.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, OMA said:

Maybe the draft experts aren’t experts.. who had Campbell going before Jsn ? I think we have good coaches and the Iowa State pipeline worked last year. Kid can play and in a critical position, either protect your qb or hurt theirs is todays game.

Who are the Iowa guys on this board? Speak up!  @HawkeyeJet  @hawk

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Too bad pass rushers aren't broad jumping their way to the QB when playing football.

So why do they bother measuring it? Do any of the tests correlate exactly? I think this is where you extrapolate 

9 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Brutal day for the Rangers.  And then the Jets miss out on OL.  We'll see about this LB though.  At least he sounds promising.  I trust JD's opinion.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are you saying our new OLB can't cover TE's.

So this guys is playing Will LB in place of Alexander?