What are the signs an aging QB no longer has it?

I thought this might be an interesting topic as Rodgers enters his age 39 season.

The most obvious & somewhat painful decline I’ve witnessed was Peyton Manning losing his arm strength due to a chronic neck injury.

What have you seen in your career (lol) watching football?

We’ve seen Rivers, Ryan, Brady, Eli, Brees, Newton all say their goodbyes in recent years.  

1. Is it typically the arm strength .. like Peyton & Brees?

2. Does processing speed (or reflexes) begin to slow?

3. Does accuracy become an issue … from older, rustier parts?

10 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I thought this might be an interesting topic as Rodgers enters his age 39 season.

The most obvious & somewhat painful decline I’ve witnessed was Peyton Manning losing his arm strength due to a chronic neck injury.

We’ve seen Rivers, Ryan, Brady, Eli, Brees, Newton all say their goodbyes in recent years.  

I mean, you nailed the obvious ones. 

Arm strength declines, processing speed declines, accuracy declines (in part from decline of arm strength and processing speed). 

I will add mobility, ability to 'take a hit' and/or ability to stay healthy. All of these decline as you get older. 

• Upvote 2

I think the desire to stand in there and take a hit declines as they become 40 and wealthy beyond imagination. 

If they have injuries, then that can effect their arm strength and accuracy but besides Peyton and maybe Big Ben I don't know of another example of that.  The way the NFL now protects QBs helps for sure.

Mostly I think they get comfortable in their life and figure its time to move on while theyre still able to walk.

• Upvote 2

1. Physical breakdown, injuries and missed time

2. Turnovers, increases in interceptions and fumbles

3. Inaccuracy, declines in completion percentage, increases in failure to convert 3rd downs, slower on-field play processing (lined to #2 above as well).

17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Physical breakdown, injuries and missed time

2. Turnovers, increases in interceptions and fumbles

3. Inaccuracy, declines in completion percentage, increases in failure to convert 3rd downs, slower on-field play processing (lined to #2 above as well).

And competitive desire.

• Upvote 1

Arm strength, especially off-platform.  I don't think the mental processing takes much of a dip, it's the fact that you can't really attack the same windows because you don't have the arm strength to get the ball to the receiver before the window closes.  I think you can see it where safeties make a lot of plays on deep passes because the QB is lofting the ball to achieve distance and compensate for velocity loss.  

Ball placement also suffers, especially on crossing routes.  You'll see more receivers either slow down or reach back for balls because the zip isn't there on the ball.  Offenses tend to adjust for this (especially in zone defense), which then impacts yards after the catch.  

Injuries of course, somewhat self explanatory  

• Upvote 1

1. Is it typically the arm strength .. like Peyton & Brees? Test and HGH - Rodgers will be fine.

2. Does processing speed (or reflexes) begin to slow? Adderall - Rodgers will be fine.

3. Does accuracy become an issue … from older, rustier parts? See 1 and 2 - Rodgers will be fine.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Green Bay Packers Nfl GIF by Bleacher Report

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty much but in Rodgers case it's ayahuasca and micro-dosing to keep him fresh. 

If you don’t have a personal shaman on speed-dial, you’re behind the times. Even more so than the term, “speed-dial.”

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The reality is that almost all QBs not named Brady completely fall off a cliff sometime between 38 and 40. We are really betting a lot of Rodgers decline last year not being a sign of what's to come.

He was averaging 7.4 ypa with a 98 passer rating thru five games before he broke the thumb at the end of the Giants game. Then he fell off to 6.8 and 91. It was bothering him thru December. 

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When they lose to Zach Wilson (!) at home

That was his first game after breaking his thumb. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

what's the excuse for laying an egg against the great Jared Goff in Week 18? 

Lions started the year 1-6, finished 8-2, and now they’re the darlings of NFL media for this season, so that surge probably has something to do with it. 

Goff finished the year with over 4400 yards and a TD:int ratio of 29:7. Maybe he’s not your mother’s Jared Goff. 

• Upvote 2