NY Jets Sign Dalvin Cook

16 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Gotta love these takes, based on absolutely nothing but guessing...

There is NO indication that Hall won't be ready to go on some level by week 1.

You mean based on absolutely nothing but every single piece of evidence that currently exists?

Hall has yet to take a single practice snap, not even been cleared for the active roster, and the Jets felt a need to sign a starting-caliber player when already having RB draft picks from each of the 2021, 2022, and 2023 drafts, and another back who started 4 games last year.

Quite literally all indications are that he's not currently on pace to play in the immediate future, regardless of whether you choose to ignore that all.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Mixed emotions.  Have to assume Hall won’t be ready for a month. 

probably the end for Bam 

Why Bam?  He's a better run than Carter, is the closest thing they have to a power back, aside from Hall, he's the best pass protecting RB they have, and he can return kicks.  IMO Carter is the more logical one to go.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, JKlecko said:

Why Bam?  He's a better run than Carter, is the closest thing they have to a power back, aside from Hall, he's the best pass protecting RB they have, and he can return kicks.  IMO Carter is the more logical one to go.

It is definitely between them. I don't know the answer to this, but do they have control over Bam contract wise for longer than Carter? That could be a factor.

Another factor and people will think I am messing around but I am not. Michael Carter is apparently the funniest guy on the team. He is always making everyone laugh. Talent on the field is the deciding factor, but if you are looking at RB4, something locker room related like that could be a factor.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Larz said:

Mixed emotions.  Have to assume Hall won’t be ready for a month. 

probably the end for Bam 

Even when he's "ready", doesn't his injury preclude him from being "really ready" till next season or at least late this one?

I gotta like the aggressive posture here.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Rapoport said a week ago that Cook wanted to be a Jet and insinuated that he was dragging it out because he didn’t want to go to camp 

He’s recovering from the injury, so this makes plenty of sense 

He was holding out for more money the problem is the closer to start of the season the more leverage he lost in negotiations 

4 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This is a very telling statement/admission.  It's hard to have an informed opinion on the NFL and it's players when you are watching/following one team and not watching/following the whole league.  Or maybe you just hate the Vikings and watch everyone else?

Except I didn’t give an opinion on Cook’s play, as I explicitly stated in my post that you literally quoted.

Although one could be formed from looking at his production, were I so inclined.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is definitely between them. I don't know the answer to this, but do they have control over Bam contract wise for longer than Carter? That could be a factor.

Another factor and people will think I am messing around but I am not. Michael Carter is apparently the funniest guy on the team. He is always making everyone laugh. Talent on the field is the deciding factor, but if you are looking at RB4, something locker room related like that could be a factor.

He also had a temper tantrum when his buddy Moore wasn’t happy and traded

It's clear Hall isn't ready to play so I doubt anybody is getting trade or put on the PS. Hall will start out season on PuP list and the rest will work itself out you might even see Cook gone by week 6. But it's likely Hall might be out for the entire season these injuries sometimes takes 2 years to fully come back from. 

• WTF? 1

11 hours ago, Bungaman said:

I have mixed feelings on this.

I root for the laundry, so if the coaching staff thinks this makes us better, I can accept that. 

The part of me that roots for the people/personalities on the team makes me sad that one of the young RB's on the team probably won't be around to see Opening Day. I was of the opinion it was a good group whose only direction was up in terms of performance, and they seemed to have the right attitudes.

While I don't like Cook's off the field history, by a recent account I read, he was well regarded and respected in the Vikings' locker room, for whatever that's worth. 

It might have been "in the bag" for a while, but maybe the Jets let NE set the current market for FA RB's by signing a much longer in the tooth vet - Zeke - earlier in the day, and their final offer revolved around another deal getting done. We certainly got the better of the two - and the money is just someone else's money, and a one year deal to boot.

Fair points all. But Jets can still keep their current guys if either Breece's return is slow rolled and he stays on PUP for a couple weeks or they put Bam on the PS. I think he would clear wavers.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JetsRay said:

Gotta love these takes, based on absolutely nothing but guessing...

There is NO indication that Hall won't be ready to go on some level by week 1.

What would you call this dalvin cook signing then? Personally, I’ve thought since day one, that if this team spent significant money to bring in cook, it  would indicate that breece won’t be ready to take on a starters role. This signing, like it or not, says that the jets, at the bare minimum, want to limit his reps to start the season.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You mean based on absolutely nothing but every single piece of evidence that currently exists?

Hall has yet to take a single practice snap, not even been cleared for the active roster, and the Jets felt a need to sign a starting-caliber player when already having RB draft picks from each of the 2021, 2022, and 2023 drafts, and another back who started 4 games last year.

Quite literally all indications are that he's not currently on pace to play in the immediate future, regardless of whether you choose to ignore that all.

I think CSI got the autopsy done and said for a corpse, he looks marvelous.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Emotion is dumb. It’s a heuristic evolved to make fast decisions in life and death situations when reason is too slow.

And I stand for the rights of all humans, even those accused of heinous crimes. That’s my moral stance. A man should not be closed off from his livelihood based upon accusation alone. Period dot end of story. To believe otherwise is to enslave oneself to the emotional and reactionary whims of the underinformed and misinformed mob. I choose reason.

So by your reasoning, OJ is innocent and should also be signed if he passes the physical?  

Also surprised the Pats cut Hernandez before his conviction-were they uninformed or misinformed?

I don't see this signing as a referendum on Halls health.  I think he's actually progressing exactly as they say.  BUT what this does do is give you a proven commodity that will allow you to keep the workload off Breece for the first half of the season without having to rely on a rookie, or carter who we are only hoping has a bounce back year.  

This move is all about keeping the workload off breece until mid season where he's worked back slowly for precautionary reasons, and giving rodgers a proven vet player in the backfield that can help in pass protection and the ground game without a worry. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, extmenace said:

What would you call this dalvin cook signing then? Personally, I’ve thought since day one, that if this team spent significant money to bring in cook, it  would indicate that breece won’t be ready to take on a starters role. This signing, like it or not, says that the jets, at the bare minimum, want to limit his reps to start the season.

As they should. 

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

In today's NFL, adding talent to improve quality and depth on the team is always the goal. Hall coming back from injury was a factor, but this allows the team to work him back into full swing at a more measured pace. Also, having depth at the RB position with two elite quality players is a surplus that every team would love to have. Rodgers helped to make this happen with his contract restructure. The Jets dug in and stood firm on a contract offer that worked for them but still offered enough to entice Cook. JD clearly understands the market very well, and this is evidence by the large number of outstanding moves he has made to ramp up the talent on the roster.

All of this additional speculation about Hall is just silly because the team has said all along that Hall will be back for the start of the season. And now they have a two headed monster at RB along with all the other talent at different positions on the team.

JD and the Jets have loaded up this roster, buckle up, and let's enjoy the ride!

• Upvote 1

It was past my bedtime when this happened, so I woke up to the news this morning.

I was in the ride it out with the young guys camp, but the Jets' clearly didn't agree.  To me, this is a sign that Hall won't be ready for a while yet.

Cook may be on the decline, but he's still a proven and productive back.  He definitely makes the team better.

I will be sorry to see one of the young RBs go, but Cook definitely will help us a lot this year.  He will make the ground game more credible and slow the pass-rush down a tick, which will be great considering who our QB now is.

I suspect that Bam will be the odd man out, if a RB cut is made. I hope he makes it to the PS, but I think he may well get claimed off waivers before he gets there.

9 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Duane Brown has also not practiced as of yet and is working himself back from injury, also hasn't taken a single snap, or has been cleared, there are numerous cases of players that are starters that may be coming back from injury and use the first part of training camp to get themselves ready. The team has also said Brown will be ready to go. This happens all over the league, this is not something new.

The signing of Cook doesn't mean Hall won't be ready, that is the take, and there is NO evidence otherwise to this point.

Just now, JetsRay said:

Duane Brown has also not practiced as of yet and is working himself back from injury, also hasn't taken a single snap, or has been cleared, there are numerous cases of players that are starters that may be coming back from injury and use the first part of training camp to get themselves ready. The team has also said Brown will be ready to go. This happens all over the league, this is not something new.

The signing of Cook doesn't mean Hall won't be ready, that is the take, and there is NO evidence otherwise to this point.

for that matter, dalvin cook is working his way back from injury and isn't ready to practice yet

If the plan is to keep Hall on PUP through week 6 then this is a good signing. Hall might be feeling good and moving well but running backs have struggled first year back from ACL injuries. Giving him the full year of recovery and ease him back with less wear for the second half of the season could mean a more productive Breece while other teams start getting injured. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

War of attrition at LT.  Play Brown til he gets hurt, then play Becton til he gets hurt, then play AVT til he gets hurt.  Then hope Brown is available again 

11 hours ago, RevisIsland610 said:

He probably isn't but having a Hall, Cook, Carter, Izzy backfield at some point this season is pretty outstanding. I think this probably means Hall won't be ready by opening day which sucks.

I really don't  believe the decision to sign Cook had anything to do with Hall's health.  Cook is a very good #2 who can play #1 if needed. He is better at this than any back on the Jets except Hall who os a true #1 when healthy. This is called loading up. 

• Upvote 2