A theory as to why Zach has truthers

Jdeet

Collecting sports memorabilia is so odd.

Anyway, I think this theory sucks.

Zach generally sucks - about twice a year he plays well - and the offensive line sucks and Paul/Nate Hackett sucks. 

Nearly every play I'm torn between "is this the QB? Is the playcall sh*t? Where are the running lanes/why are there so many opponents in the backfield?"

All of those things are true. It's not worth dissecting which is more correct. 

48 minutes ago, Jdeet said:

Some have put me in the Zach truther category, because I tend to defend him and personally like the way the guy has handled things this season. I actually didn’t like him last year. So I haven’t always been in his corner. I come from a family that loves the underdog. 

But here is a theory as to why there are so many Zach truthers and it isn’t only people from Utah.

I feel your pain. After enduring Zach's epic failure, I am certain that if it wasnt for my lucky astrology mood watch, I wouldnt have a single thing to believe in.

im not a zach lover by any means but i try to see everyside with an open mind , to set and point the finger at one person for this mess of a season would be very irresponsible.other than sun. has breece hall done anything during this 5 game losing streak? most of the time he hadnt made it back to the los.how many drops have we witnessed the last month? zach is second in the nfl behind Mahomes for most dropped passes that should have been caught !!!! im not by anymeans saying hes all innocent, but this offensive line is one of the most piss pour in the entire league and if no one sees that then they better get glasses!!!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

Some have put me in the Zach truther category, because I tend to defend him and personally like the way the guy has handled things this season. I actually didn’t like him last year. So I haven’t always been in his corner. I come from a family that loves the underdog. 

But here is a theory as to why there are so many Zach truthers and it isn’t only people from Utah. During the pandemic, the hobby of sports card and memorabilia collecting skyrocketed. To a point where it became the fastest growing industry in the United States, for a time during 2021. Sports card values took off, specifically high end football cards. 

The 2021 NFL draft took place at the pinnacle of the sports card craze. Trevor Lawrence rookie autograph cards and 1/1 cards were the premium card on the market. Zach Wilson a distant 2nd, but still very valuable. I had purchased a few cards, as did my brother, and it was like playing the stock market. We would purchase a Zach Wilson autograph card and hope he would do great, so that our investment would increase in value. We aren’t talking hundreds, we are talking thousands of dollars. 

Once I sold out of my collection of Zach cards and took my losses, I noticed a lot of people who still held on to Zach cards, radically defending and supporting the guy, to a point that it didn’t make any sense, other than for the betterment of their investment. It was nauseating. I knew they didn’t give a crap about the Jets. They weren’t even Jets fans. But nothing took a deeper dive in value, than Zach Wilson and Trey Lance rookie cards and memorabilia. It was scary. 

To this day, I see so many Zach truthers on twitter/X who, not so coincidentally, remain big investors in Zach Memorabilia. They aren’t Jets fans and most aren’t from Utah. They are simply hoping for a Zach resurrection, so they can salvage their collection of rookie cards. 

I know people here will say my theory is not accurate or overblown. But if you are part of the card collecting community and you have been to card shows and have seen it for yourself, the guys selling Zach memorabilia are the most radical truthers in the country. 

I am a Jets fan who loves my team. I coach high school football. I know the grind of making it to the NFL and I have seen a kid be drafted #2, fail several times. Not until this year, do I really like the kid. The real truthers aren’t Jets fans. I am just providing a theory as to who these people are. 

Thanks for coming back to the site. Saw your PM when you said you were leaving, very glad you changed your mind.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jdeet said:

But here is a theory as to why there are so many Zach truthers and it isn’t only people from Utah. During the pandemic, the hobby of sports card and memorabilia collecting skyrocketed. To a point where it became the fastest growing industry in the United States, for a time during 2021. Sports card values took off, specifically high end football cards. 

The 2021 NFL draft took place at the pinnacle of the sports card craze. Trevor Lawrence rookie autograph cards and 1/1 cards were the premium card on the market. Zach Wilson a distant 2nd, but still very valuable. I had purchased a few cards, as did my brother, and it was like playing the stock market. We would purchase a Zach Wilson autograph card and hope he would do great, so that our investment would increase in value. We aren’t talking hundreds, we are talking thousands of dollars. 

Once I sold out of my collection of Zach cards and took my losses, I noticed a lot of people who still held on to Zach cards, radically defending and supporting the guy, to a point that it didn’t make any sense, other than for the betterment of their investment. It was nauseating. I knew they didn’t give a crap about the Jets. They weren’t even Jets fans. But nothing took a deeper dive in value, than Zach Wilson and Trey Lance rookie cards and memorabilia. It was scary. 

To this day, I see so many Zach truthers on twitter/X who, not so coincidentally, remain big investors in Zach Memorabilia. They aren’t Jets fans and most aren’t from Utah. They are simply hoping for a Zach resurrection, so they can salvage their collection of rookie cards. 

I know people here will say my theory is not accurate or overblown. But if you are part of the card collecting community and you have been to card shows and have seen it for yourself, the guys selling Zach memorabilia are the most radical truthers in the country. 

I am a Jets fan who loves my team. I coach high school football. I know the grind of making it to the NFL and I have seen a kid be drafted #2, fail several times. Not until this year, do I really like the kid. The real truthers aren’t Jets fans. I am just providing a theory as to who these people are. 

Tired Good Night GIF by MLB

Every drafted QB had their truther/homers. 

Pennington, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold, now Wilson.  Same kind of posts, same kind of defenses (bad coaches, bad players around him, bad Woody, etc.).  In many cases, even the same individual truthers, lol.  Hackenberg even had a few, very early on at least.  Only Kellen Clemens (amongst 1st and 2nd rounders this century) never really seemed to have his own true believers.

In my experience there is simply a portion of the fanbase (likely of every fanbase) who just....utterly, completely and unswervingly believes in/puts all the hopes of their fandom into "their guy", i.e. whomever their team drafts at QB especially.  Bad performance, losses, doesn't matter, they still have faith, like a religion.  Saw it with every QB named above.  Logic and objectivity never entered the picture for these fans.  I think their desperation just wanted to hope a QB into being good for once.

The shame of it is that none of these guys ever justified such devotion with quality play.  The Jets have consistently picked QB's poorly, and that's being generous.  We all deserve better, truther or doubter both.

• Post of the Week 1