AVT - Guard or Tackle?

slimjasi

AVT - Guard or Tackle?   

62 members have voted

1. 1. Should AVT play Guard or Tackle next year?

Where do y’all want to see him play next year? Right before his injury this year, Saleh was talking about making him a RT long term. 

I didn’t like that idea initially, but given that we will need two new starting tackles next year with limited resources with which to acquire them, the quickest path to an above average OL might be moving AVT to RT and then drafting the best left tackle we can in the 1st + another guard or two later in the draft + whomever we can grab in FA. 

I still prefer guard - but what say you - OG or OT? 

Just now, carlito1171 said:

Never a big fan of AVT at tackle....

He's a LG....a Pro Bowl level one.....but he can play RG until we finally move on from Tomlinson...

This is the likely result, because LT can't play RG, and there are too many holes on the OL to fill in one year. 

But over $40mm of cap space in 2024 to Duane Brown, Tomlinson and Mosley is just ridiculous.  

• Upvote 2

I’ll defend Douglas here, he gave Saleh a very good player to work with. Saleh got desperate and put him at a position where he wasn’t nearly as effective (and could be argued led to him getting injured). It is said in business that you put your employees in a position to succeed, and Saleh hasn’t done that. 

• Upvote 1

I have a hard time believing that an NFL lineman is so fragile that playing 3 feet over is going to be so dangerous as to make his tendons spontaneously snap.  He may be injury prone, it may be flukey, but if the team has to be that concerned over a lineman's muscles staying attached then he probably shouldn't be counted on in any capacity.  Play him wherever he serves the team best.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Where do y’all want to see him play next year? Right before his injury this year, Saleh was talking about making him a RT long term. 

I didn’t like that idea initially, but given that we will need two new starting tackles next year with limited resources with which to acquire them, the quickest path to an above average OL might be moving AVT to RT and then drafting the best left tackle we can in the 1st + another guard or two later in the draft + whomever we can grab in FA. 

I still prefer guard - but what say you - OG or OT? 

Needs to be kept at LG.  JD caused this injury crap when he got Laken and they moved AVT.

I know he was playing T when he got injured the last two years but is there any actual medical evidence that he's more vulnerable to injury playing one position over another? I've never seen it if it exists.

He also was playing in Denver and on real grass both times he got injured. Should we blame the high altitude? Should we blame real grass? What about the legal marijuana? Do ice cream sales cause shark attacks?

corrCause1-768x557.png

When it comes to injuries I don't know if they're predictable at all. Last year I argued against trading for Lamar Jackson because off all his recent injuries. Now the dude is the front runner for MVP again.

AVT played both G & T in college and in the NFL. He has played both positions at a high level in the NFL. Why people insist he is a G and not a T is beyond me. I don't believe the position caused the injury unless there's some real medical science that can back that up. IMO we should leverage his versatility and try to upgrade with the best T or G possible and play him where the hole remains. It's probably going to be a lot easier to get good interior linemen than tackles this year.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

imo, this notion that certain positions are more injury prone is just message board nonsense.. guards get rolled up on all the time. same crap with our fat LT RT going on social media and claiming the jets caused his injury. its bad luck

AVT was a 1st round pick with LT feet and arms 1-1/2" too short to be considered "franchise"   ,,like barry said, hes played successfully all over the line

the only question is can he play either position now? or is he damaged goods? if he can move to tackle and play like he did his first stint you play him there. he was good

if he gets injured one more time,  see ya

3 hours ago, PS17 said:

He’s made of tissue paper

In fairness, getting arbitrarily moved around on the O-line in the NFL, and having other O-linemen on either side of you during any particular play or game, that you have never played with before, is a recipe for disaster. 

I don't know who the idiot is that came up with that brilliant idea that O-linemen can be interchanged like Defensive linemen, and I'm not saying that is the primary reason why they are always injured, but I'm confident in saying it doesn't help. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I know he was playing T when he got injured the last two years but is there any actual medical evidence that he's more vulnerable to injury playing one position over another? I've never seen it if it exists.

He also was playing in Denver and on real grass both times he got injured. Should we blame the high altitude? Should we blame real grass? What about the legal marijuana? Do ice cream sales cause shark attacks?

corrCause1-768x557.png

When it comes to injuries I don't know if they're predictable at all. Last year I argued against trading for Lamar Jackson because off all his recent injuries. Now the dude is the front runner for MVP again.

AVT played both G & T in college and in the NFL. He has played both positions at a high level in the NFL. Why people insist he is a G and not a T is beyond me. I don't believe the position caused the injury unless there's some real medical science that can back that up. IMO we should leverage his versatility and try to upgrade with the best T or G possible and play him where the hole remains. It's probably going to be a lot easier to get good interior linemen than tackles this year.

Honestly I think it’s totally anecdotal and I don’t know if playing tackle contributes to his injuries at all. Still 1) he was drafted to play guard 2) he was awesome at guard and 3) whether or not it contributed to his injuries both insurances of him playing tackle ended poorly.

You’re right that it’s easier to get good interior lineman than tackles — but that’s an argument for not drafting AVT in the first place rather than not playing him where you drafted him.

Draft a LT with the first pick and try to upgrade at RT in FA — this team needs to land a Morgan Moses type in the worst way. At that point RG is less important and you can be flexible.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Honestly I think it’s totally anecdotal and I don’t know if playing tackle contributes to his injuries at all. Still 1) he was drafted to play guard 2) he was awesome at guard and 3) whether or not it contributed to his injuries both insurances of him playing tackle ended poorly.

You’re right that it’s easier to get good interior lineman than tackles — but that’s an argument for not drafting AVT in the first place rather than not playing him where you drafted him.

Draft a LT with the first pick and try to upgrade at RT in FA — this team needs to land a Morgan Moses type in the worst way. At that point RG is less important and you can be flexible.

I think he was drafted to be a versatile o-lineman by a guy who puts a premium on o-line versatility.