Albert Breer: Woody Johnson stepped in on the first round pick (not Zach Wilson)

Woody is an idiot but he was back with the team for like 15 seconds at that point, and every single report for the past 3 years tells an entirely different narrative.  We've just reached the point in the Jets' repetitive life cycle where we get to the laughable story of: it's not the GM's fault that the entire team is terrible, because you see he actually just sits around on his ass all day and contributes absolutely nothing of value!  Isn't that great?!?  Now let's tell you who is really the new double-secret GM-in-hiding this time!

I mean, we certainly still see active support today for the past narrative that Maccagnan was an innocent victim back when the media was selling this for him, and the excuse for CJ giving him another go of it right?  It's kind of amazing how many times a new variation of the same nonsensical tabloid garbage suddenly must be true "this time".

Oh how convenient that it always happens to be years later when the success or failure of any decision magically changes who happened to have made it every single time, isn't it?

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This would more likely be Douglas wanting Ekwonu over Gardner, no? Connor Hughes was pretty confident on that bit

Sauce was likely a Woody driven pick too. (Nickname, Revis Island success) Especially judging the highlights of the draft room with Woody gushing.  Tough to say which one. But I think you may be right.

• Upvote 3

I heard or read somewhere that in '21 Douglas made his decision based on who he would choose if Darnold and Zach were in the same draft.   Head-scratchingly, he surmised Zach was the better QB and went that route.  As we all know, by doing this we passed on an absolute haul for the #2 pick.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Hopefully there wasn't already a thread on this that I missed, but interesting tidbit I saw from Albert Breer (Sports Illustrated/MMQB) from a spot on Colin Cowherd's show last week.

"I'll tell you this Colin, they had wanted to draft an offensive tackle a couple of years ago, and I think ownership may have stepped in and may not have wanted them to do that. You know, so you give Joe Douglas another chance to get the offensive line right..."

Given we did in fact make the Becton pick in 2020 this very much reads to me like Douglas wanted (or is at least retroactively telling Albert Breer he wanted) to take Penei Sewell or one of the top OL at the top of the 2021 draft and Woody stepped in and forced the Zach pick. I can't think of any other pick where Douglas or anyone in the Jets front office would be leaking that to Breer.

Pretty bad look for the org whether you believe it or not, but if the Zach pick was Woody's it 1) helps explain the bizarre loyalty the org has shown him and 2) helps explain Woody not firing the guys who have been hamstrung by the fact that he sucks.

Jets bit starts at 8:28, the line about Woody stepping in is at 9:50.

I think Woody listened to the fans who were adamant about getting a QB.

Woody listened. 

JD should have told him not yet

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This would more likely be Douglas wanting Ekwonu over Gardner, no? Connor Hughes was pretty confident on that bit

If it’s this one then does that mean the incompetent owner is a better talent evaluator than the GM?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Just cover for the terrible gming and coaching, blame the owner.

I think understanding the nature of the disfunction is important, personally. Just beating the sh*t out of some fall guy who never had a chance to succeed might be satiating for some but I’m genuinely very curious how this transpires.

• Upvote 3