Schefter: Mike McCarthy on thin ice in Dallas

The answer is yes. They should’ve hired McCarthy however many years ago when he wanted to come and coach Darnold and they should hire him if he becomes available again. The guy is a winning head coach. A little winning would be nice for the Jets.

I understand Saleh is back next year… so perhaps McCarthy takes a year off and if Saleh is on the path that a lot of people think he’s on, the Jets and McCarthy could link up in 2025. This would be a great thing for the Jets

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

McCarthy is plenty good enough to take the sh*t Carolina job that no one will want and collect that last HC payday.

Belichick to Dallas….

Jerry loves Quinn.

Belicheck to the Chargers.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I know they had significant beef in the past, but Rodgers has since said that he loves McCarthy, etc. There’s no way Rodgers saw the offense this year and came away with any confidence in Hackett. McCarthy could serve two functions here—serve as a credible voice who can meet Rodgers eye to eye, and also light a fire under Saleh’s ass to grow up as a head coach, because his replacement would literally be in the building. 

Shane is one of the bigger McCarthy haters around, so Woody/JD should listen to him on this one.

Anything to get an adult in the room for this godforsaken franchise.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

17 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm a huge Blackhawks fan.  They won before I was born and most of my life was near misses while their rivals were wining it all.  Then they fell into the depths of hell for about 12 years.  

Very similar to the current Jets.  

A miracle happened (owner died and there were radical changes in the way the team was ran) and we suddenly won three cups.  I actually wept when they won.  Like the birth of my kids.  

The team got old, fell off, and I was less interested.  I actually didn't watch every game.  Stopped following the draft and free agency.  I stepped away from the game almost completely for a few seasons. 

Two years ago they started selling off their vets and beginning the long rebuild and suddenly I'm back into it.  Winning Bedard helps, but their farm is stacked with prospects again.

It's exciting.

I'm not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make, but I think if the Jets finally won it all we could all just say goodbye to this horrific investment of time and money.

It would be bad business for Max.  

I already don't watch NFL games that don't involve the Jets.  I know I would get the hell out of here.

I think if we win a Super Bowl it would be similar to Rangers fans in 1994 or Red Sox in 2004 “I could finally die in peace..” mentality where whatever happens with the team after is irrelevant. 

It would take a whole new generation of fans to be miserable again.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Jerry loves Quinn.

Belicheck to the Chargers.

Spanos is a known penny pinching gcheapskate who doesn’t care about winning. True story my friend is his cousin and used to work there in high school / college during the summers. Spanos is a real dirtbag and couldn’t care less about winning (it’s just a business for him). 

The only reason he paid Herbert’s contract was because the seats were empty in the new and shared stadium and the league pressured him ahead of time since the Rams were clearly outperforming in attendance.

In conclusion, he isn’t paying Belichick anywhere near what he’ll be asking.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think if we win a Super Bowl it would be similar to Rangers fans in 1994 or Red Sox in 2004 “I could finally die in peace..” mentality where whatever happens with the team after is irrelevant. 

It would take a whole new generation of fans to be miserable again.

Agreed.  There's two ways to make life long fans:  

Win it all every 10-15 years, like the Giants, or never win and string along the loyal, like the Jets.

The Giants way is better, besides the winning part, because there's no reason to walk away.

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Shane is one of the bigger McCarthy haters around, so Woody/JD should listen to him on this one.

Should have happened 5 years ago 

• Upvote 1

Rodgers pushed for Hackett and he seems like the kind of guy that will stick to his guns even when all signs point to a change. 

There are also a ton of reports of Mccarthy and Rodgers not getting along, although there are some reports that they are OK with each other now, but I am not sure Rodgers wants him calling plays:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-apparently-had-toxic-13-year-relationship-with-former-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy/

It's a miracle that Aaron Rodgers and Mike McCarthy lasted for nearly 13 years together in Green Bay, because, apparently, the quarterback had some serious issues with the Packers former coach that dated all the way back to 2005.   

Yup, there was drama between the two before McCarthy was even hired as Packers coach. 

In an eye-opening piece on Bleacher Report, multiple former players and team employees paint an ugly picture of what went on in Green Bay during McCarthy's time as coach. Although it's well known that Rodgers and McCarthy had some issues with each other in 2018, it turns out the drama between the two men actually started at the 2005 NFL Draft. 

Fourteen years ago, McCarthy was the offensive coordinator for the 49ers, who went into the draft with the No. 1 overall pick. At the time, the 49ers were in need of a quarterback, so it was pretty clear they were going to take one of two guys: Alex Smith or Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers and many fans in San Francisco thought he seemed like the obvious choice: For one, he was popular in the Bay Area because he grew up in Northern California (Chico), and also, he attended a Bay Area college (Cal). Instead, the 49ers chose Smith, and Rodgers ended up tumbling all the way down to the 24th pick, which was held by Green Bay.  

One year after that draft, McCarthy was hired as the coach in Green Bay, which made for a slightly awkward situation, because Rodgers never forgave McCarthy for passing on him, according to former Packers running back Ryan Grant,

"Aaron's always had a chip on his shoulder with Mike," Grant told Bleacher Report. "The guy who ended up becoming your coach passed on you when he had a chance. Aaron was upset that Mike passed on him -- that Mike actually verbally said that Alex Smith was a better quarterback."

In separate interviews over the years, both Rodgers and McCarthy have seemingly acknowledged that the 2005 draft might have hurt their relationship. In a 2012 interview, Rodgers made it clear that he was humiliated by way things unfolded on draft night

"It's embarrassing," Rodgers said. "You know the whole world is watching, your phone's buzzing every two minutes and you're hoping it's a team calling. But it's just your buddies just making jokes, and it's hard to laugh in a situation where you know everybody's laughing at you."

The thing that made Rodgers even more upset is that he had been hoping to play for the 49ers, a team he had grown up cheering for. 

Once Rodgers became the Packers' starter in 2008, things only went downhill from there. According to the Bleacher Report story, Rodgers didn't respect McCarthy because he felt that his coach had a "low football IQ." 

The story also states that Rodgers got tired of seeing his receivers run the same routes all the time, which only happened because McCarthy refused to change his offense. To fix things, Rodgers apparently decided to start changing the plays that McCarthy was calling on the field, which happened nearly one-third of the time. 

Basically, things got so bad that receivers weren't sure if they should run the routes that McCarthy had called or if they should run the routes that Rodgers had called. That led to an ugly situation in November involving Equanimeous St. Brown. 

• Haha 1

IIRC, Rodgers main grievance with McCarthy was that McCarthy was too soft on the younger players and there’s be no consequences for pre-snap penalties, drops, etc. Imagine what Rodgers observed this year with the league’s leader in pre-snap penalties and PVO coaches. 

I thought it was because Rodgers didn’t like how McCarthy refused to change the playbook, add more to the route tree, let him have more control of situational play calling at the LOS, felt like he was running an antiquated offense?

• Upvote 1

Belichick is a favorite for the Washington job, fwiw. Atlanta might also take a run at him. Arthur Blank has allegedly been sniffing around other head coaching prospects already.

This is belichick so the one thing we know is whereever he is going next, it's already locked down.

I would want San diego. Not because of the QB but because of the weather.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is belichick so the one thing we know is whereever he is going next, it's already locked down.

I would want San diego. Not because of the QB but because of the weather.

I just don’t see their (LAC) owner paying what it will cost honestly.

I think Washington is probably the front runner followed by the Bears if they make a change.

I think a real dark horse (depending on how their season ends) are the Packers.

They have the perfect setup for BB…no true owner. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I know they had significant beef in the past, but Rodgers has since said that he loves McCarthy, etc. There’s no way Rodgers saw the offense this year and came away with any confidence in Hackett. McCarthy could serve two functions here—serve as a credible voice who can meet Rodgers eye to eye, and also light a fire under Saleh’s ass to grow up as a head coach, because his replacement would literally be in the building. 

there is no way a guy like McCarthy with all his success as a HC will be anything but a HC. hes not being the offensive whatever.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

The answer is yes. They should’ve hired McCarthy however many years ago when he wanted to come and coach Darnold and they should hire him if he becomes available again. The guy is a winning head coach. A little winning would be nice for the Jets.

I understand Saleh is back next year… so perhaps McCarthy takes a year off and if Saleh is on the path that a lot of people think he’s on, the Jets and McCarthy could link up in 2025. This would be a great thing for the Jets

Thought we were hiring him a few years ago and then boom they hire Gase, oy that sucked....

31 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I thought it was because Rodgers didn’t like how McCarthy refused to change the playbook, add more to the route tree, let him have more control of situational play calling at the LOS, felt like he was running an antiquated offense?

IIRC, there was an array of issues with both LaFleur and McCarthy

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I just don’t see their (LAC) owner paying what it will cost honestly.

I think Washington is probably the front runner followed by the Bears if they make a change.

I think a real dark horse (depending on how their season ends) are the Packers.

They have the perfect setup for BB…no true owner. 

Chargers are supposed to be taking a swing on Harbaugh. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

Chargers are supposed to be taking a swing on Harbaugh. 

He’d be perfect for them. I again question what they’ll pay.

I’d kind of like to see Harbaugh in Vegas making him and Mark Davis the most socially awkward duo in sports.

• Haha 4

Dallas:   One of the top offenses every year, good defense and special teams.   "We might just fire the highly successful head coach who has a good track record if we don't get better results!"

NY Jets:  Historically bad offense, overrated defense, zero track record of success or coming close to the payoffs.    "WE are running it back with all of them .....cause Aaron Rodgers!"

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

I have to say it’s probably woody who’s keeping the big time coaches away.  I don’t think he wants to be on the hook for the salaries these guys will command.  Plus, in case people have been keeping track, he’s been pretty quick about hiring coaches that fit the Rooney rule.  Maybe if Tomlin springs free and still wants to coach he can push out saleh.

• Upvote 1

McCarthy would be the best Jets HC hire in a long time but that's a reflection of the hiring history. McCarthy is well past his prime as a head coach. He can win games but he's got some turds to lay on the field every season and often when the games are important. He's inflexible about his system working like Saleh but not as bad about it. 

I don't know what a McCarthy/Rodgers marriage would look like. Could be as bad as McCarthy's last few years in GB but maybe they make up and find some success. Hard to imagine how it could be worse than the current regime.

Also, if ol' Jerry Jones is grumpy about McCarthy blowing key games, he's looking in the wrong direction with Quinn. 

A guy who is on thin ice and won't win his division despite having an elite defense, Dak, Pollard, and CeeDee Lamb?

Yeah, let's hire that dinosaur who only got to one single Super Bowl despite having Aaron Rodgers for about a decade of AR's prime years.

No thank you.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Belichick is a favorite for the Washington job, fwiw. Atlanta might also take a run at him. Arthur Blank has allegedly been sniffing around other head coaching prospects already.

I personally think he'll take the Chargers job.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Anyone who hates successful coach mike mccarthy, Budding star wr JSN and hero and leader of men Derrick Carr, is probably also pitching some version of bit coin.  Don't listen to him!

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Anyone who hates successful coach mike mccarthy, Budding star wr JSN and hero and leader of men Derrick Carr, is probably also pitching some version of bit coin.  Don't listen to him!

Been researching how soon the Saints will be knocked out of the playoffs while also knocking the Falcons and the Seahawks out just so I can say “**** Beerfish! **** that guy’s takes!”

• Haha 1