Let me be first to say it: Sauce Gardner is better than Revis ever was!

How about this for a statistic:  "In 583 coverage snaps this season, he allowed 31 completions for 251 yards, for 0.4 yards allowed per coverage snap". 

If you want to look at it another way, he allowed an average of only 8 yards per catch.

All pro for each of his first 2 years in the NFL.

And his nickname is not Mevis!  This guy deserves to be the highest paid defensive back in the league, and I am confident that one day he will get that contract with the NY Jets.

• Thumb Down 6
  • WTF? 5
  • Post of the Week 2
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Revis in 2009 and 2010 was the most skilled CB I ever saw.  More so than Sauce.  Also consider, unlike Saleh,  Rex had Revis velcro the opposing offense's best WR each and every week.  Revis was always in press man.  Sauce is part of a bee swarm.

However, Sauce can still prove to be the more valuable Jet in the long run.  We have to wait until Sauce plays out his contract. Then we have to see if he signs on for a second tour with the Jets and subsequently performs at a high level.  Only then will I decided if would rather have Sauce's Jets career over Revis.

One thing for sure... Revis never rocked a Cheese Head. That's for sure.  Sauce is fun for sure. 

Unfortunately, Sauce does not get to decide what coverage he can play.  The coaching staff decides that, so you can't hold that against Sauce.  The guy is only doing what he is told.  If Revis was in the same coverage as Sauce, then you couldn't even make the argument.

#2- Sauce made 1st team pro each of his first 2 years.  Revis did not even make the pro-bowl his first year, and although he made the pro-bowl his second year, he was not an All=pro in his second year.  Comparing apples to applies, Sauce graded out better against his competition in his first 2 years.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Alka said:

Unfortunately, Sauce does not get to decide what coverage he can play.  The coaching staff decides that, so you can't hold that against Sauce.  The guy is only doing what he is told.  If Revis was in the same coverage as Sauce, then you couldn't even make the argument.

#2- Sauce made 1st team pro each of his first 2 years.  Revis did not even make the pro-bowl his first year, and although he made the pro-bowl his second year, he was not an All=pro in his second year.  Comparing apples to applies, Sauce graded out better against his competition in his first 2 years.

All good points.  We have to wait and see how Sauce does it for the rest of his tenure, which I hope will be long and healthy.  

• Upvote 2

Sauce is asked to do a lot less than Revis. He also plays in a time IMO with less high level competition for those accolades. Also toss in the extra attention he gets from his draft position and capturing DPOY last year. You could find a lot of big Revis plays his first two years. Are there a lot of Sauce highlights out there?

For those complaining about Revis and his contract, Sauce will come for his, too. 

• Post of the Week 1

Sauce had a better rookie year, but Revis was a better tackler and had better ball skills.

it’s difficult to compare them directly because they play in very different schemes. It would be easier to compare Sauce to Richard Sherman. 

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Revis in 2009 and 2010 was the most skilled CB I ever saw.  More so than Sauce.  Also consider, unlike Saleh,  Rex had Revis velcro the opposing offense's best WR each and every week.  Revis was always in press man.  Sauce is part of a bee swarm.

However, Sauce can still prove to be the more valuable Jet in the long run.  We have to wait until Sauce plays out his contract. Then we have to see if he signs on for a second tour with the Jets and subsequently performs at a high level.  Only then will I decided if would rather have Sauce's Jets career over Revis.

One thing for sure... Revis never rocked a Cheese Head. That's for sure.  Sauce is fun for sure. 

Don’t forget to add this Jets team has a much, much better organic pass rush.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

lol, no just no.  Sauce is pretty good but not in Revis's league yet.

Revis coverage ability is as good if not better than sauce AND he got 8 ints, 121 solo tackles, 33 passes defended and a sack

Sauce: 2 ints, 92 solo tackles, 31 passes defended.

A player that is criminally underrated in fairly recent jets lore?   Kerry Rhodes

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Alka said:

How about this for a statistic:  "In 583 coverage snaps this season, he allowed 31 completions for 251 yards, for 0.4 yards allowed per coverage snap". 

If you want to look at it another way, he allowed an average of only 8 yards per catch.

And his nickname is not Mevis!  This guy deserves to be the highest paid defensive back in the league, and I am confident that one day he will get that contract with the NY Jets.

He blanketed Braxton Berrios in that Miami game!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Talk to me when he's following the opposing #1 around and erasing them. It aint his fault the scheme doesn't call for that but you can't say he's better than Revis when he isn't doing Revis sh*t. 

Deion Sanders was a guy who was in schemes where he'd stay on one side of the field like Sauce and he had a ton of INT's. If Sauce is going to stay in this scheme I'd like to see him study up Deion and learn how to bait QBs into INTs.

What he's done in 2 years is very impressive and he's excellent in coverage. He just isn't in this conversation yet. Don't force this type of sh*t or it comes off as corny.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Talk to me when he's following the opposing #1 around and erasing them. It aint his fault the scheme doesn't call for that but you can't say he's better than Revis when he isn't doing Revis sh*t. 

Deion Sanders was a guy who was in schemes where he'd stay on one side of the field like Sauce and he had a ton of INT's. If Sauce is going to stay in this scheme I'd like to see him study up Deion and learn how to bait QBs into INTs.

What he's done in 2 years is very impressive and he's excellent in coverage. He just isn't in this conversation yet. Don't force this type of sh*t or it comes off as corny.

Your point that Sauce doesn't get a lot of interceptions is a good one, but you do realize that there are games where they completely avoid throwing his way.  In that regard, his ability to get many interceptions gets muted to some respect.

I can't argue with you that you can't compare a rookie and 2nd year player against an entire career, but I can argue that in the first 2 years, Sauce has impressed the hell out of the NFL, and he was not only rewarded by being a pro bowl player, but a 2 time 1st Team All pro player.

That is something that Revis did not attain in his first 2 years.   

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Gardner may or may not be better than Darrelle but I doubt he will ever become an overweight slouch like Revis did.

Ha!  You say that now, but just wait a couple years to see what NYJ strength and conditioning can do with  our players!

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

lol, no just no.  Sauce is pretty good but not in Revis's league yet.

Revis coverage ability is as good if not better than sauce AND he got 8 ints, 121 solo tackles, 33 passes defended and a sack

Sauce: 2 ints, 92 solo tackles, 31 passes defended.

A player that is criminally underrated in fairly recent jets lore?   Kerry Rhodes

Kerry Rhodes was the most talented FS the Jets ever had.  If I recall, Rhodes and Rex had some beef going on.  I think Rhodes wanted to be the signal caller for the DB's and Rex gave the job to Jim Leonhard. 

• Upvote 1

Revis was the best I have ever seen in those 2 years. There was a reason it was called Revis Island. The list of elite receivers that he absolutely clowned is amazing. He was also more physical and could tackle. 

They also called him
Revis Christ

8 hours ago, Alka said:

100% Correct Revis 2 elite years are no comparison to what Sauce has done and will do across and entire career

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Alka said:

Your point that Sauce doesn't get a lot of interceptions is a good one, but you do realize that there are games where they completely avoid throwing his way.  In that regard, his ability to get many interceptions gets muted to some respect.

I can't argue with you that you can't compare a rookie and 2nd year player against an entire career, but I can argue that in the first 2 years, Sauce has impressed the hell out of the NFL, and he was not only rewarded by being a pro bowl player, but a 2 time 1st Team All pro player.

That is something that Revis did not attain in his first 2 years.   

I'll say for Sauce... He is on the way to becoming one of my fav all time Jets.  Sauce and his cheese head :-)   He'll be up there with Broadway, Maynard, Sack Exchange, Freeman McNeil, Bruce Harper, Mickey Schuller, Lance Mehl, Buttle, Kyle Clifton, Wesley Walker, O'Brien, Todd, Pennington, Chrebet, David Harris, Mangold, Bart Scott, Dan Alexander, Keyshawn, Chromartie, Pat Lahey and even Sanchez... I'm sure I missed a bunch.... 

• Upvote 1