AVT to Left Tackle?

49 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s the perfect guy to cover the entire OL as a backup but given how there’s no starters, he won’t be in that role. The perfect 6th OL on a team. 

That was harsher than my assessment ya creepy f ya

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

He’s the perfect guy to cover the entire OL as a backup but given how there’s no starters, he won’t be in that role. The perfect 6th OL on a team. 

So AVT is a backup in your mind?   

Also as far as the LTs in the draft there are only the top 2 and then you are projecting college RTs.   I do think there are developmental guys  at OT that we will keep drafting as JD has been pretty consistent in that regard. 

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Nah, bro. 

Thanks. Took me a while to reply to this,  because when I read the thread title I threw my phone onto the pavers in the driveway so hard, water started gushing up like a geyser.  Then I had to go to Verizon, and that took forever... now I have Public Works outside fixing the street main..

So, thank you.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

So AVT is a backup in your mind?   

Also as far as the LTs in the draft there are only the top 2 and then you are projecting college RTs.   I do think there are developmental guys  at OT that we will keep drafting as JD has been pretty consistent in that regard. 

No and sorry for confusion. He’s Pro-Bowl level talent when healthy.  Given his injury history but excellent flexibility to play literally any position on the OL, he’s the perfect type of player to be a 1 man backup for the entire line.

My point was not being able to rely on him because of durability but use his strength of positional flexibility to a team’s advantage. That’s for a normal team with a decent OL. He is 100% a starter on this team since there are no other starting OL besides him and Tippman. 

You can’t think about moving AVT coming off devastating injury . Reports he might not be ready for the start of next season.  You need for certainty who’s going to be protecting your forty one year old Qb blind side.    

If AVt was healthy and finished the season that way .    Your idea wouldn’t be bad, but it’s terrible because you don’t what shape that legs going to be in, or when he’s going to be ready to go.  Hopefully for Jet fans he proves to be healthy, and you have one of your guard positions filled. ( that’s what he should be concentrate on being) 
It’s better going after Fant in Fa , because it better to have proven options to fall back on , than just count on being able to solve your needs in the draft. 

Please leave AVT at OG, preferably back to LG, and dump Tomlinson. AVT has twice now been moved to OT and both times suffered season ending injuries within a few weeks. He's not a solution at OT...he's part of the problem (injury plagued OT).

His rookie season at LG was very promising. He's helping guard the QB's blind side over there.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

who's the free agency left tackle you're targeting and why do they want to play for keith carter on the met life turf?

Trent brown?  There are a few others.  Not that the pff list is great but it’s a place to see all of the available guys at once.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Trent brown?  There are a few others.  Not that the pff list is great but it’s a place to see all of the available guys at once.

Trent Brown has played mostly RT in his career - probably for good reason. We're going to be the ones to move him over and get good results?

• Upvote 1

Maybe alter the thread title by adding in that this hasn't actually happened.  I thought I missed something as I read the title and thought a decision had been made to actually do this.   phew.   And we don't even know if AVT will be ready to start the season. 

This team cannot have any plan that is reliant on the health of AVT.  In addition to massive holes all over the OL, they need to commit him to a position he is best suited for and still get insurance for him on top of that, assuming he won't make it through the year unless proven otherwise.

JD's continued commitment to unreliable players has been the core problem to this unit his entire time here.  Having your OL so heavily dependent on AVT would just be like Brown and Becton redux.

9 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

The perfect allocation of a 1st rounder.😂

For the record I liked the pick at the time and I think he makes a great guard the 40% of the time he's healthy.

I didn’t like the trade up. He ended up being really good so I didn’t care until the injury issues started happening. Now it was a really bad move. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

For the record I liked the pick at the time and I think he makes a great guard the 40% of the time he's healthy.

Yes. Terrible decision to trade up high into the first round for a guard.  

Take a slightly lesser G and stay put.  He would have had to be HOF’er for that trade to have been a good one. 

• Upvote 1

What about our own LT?

Becton made it through the season with minimal injury.  He is great in the run game, but he definitely needs work in Pass protection.  That is what a good coach is for (and why Keith Carter should not be coaching).

If we were to put AVT at his natural position (LG), that would be a VERY strong side to run against.  It would mean needing a RG and a RT, but that would be MUCH easier to fill via free agency and the draft than a LT this year.  We also need WR help, and have to resign some players.  

Now, if all of the starting OL go down again, we'll be just as screwed as this year.  And last year.  

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I didn’t like the trade up. He ended up being really good so I didn’t care until the injury issues started happening. Now it was a really bad move. 

• This was a squirrelly trade, but in retrospect the logic was that they just drafted a QB and LG the season before was a disaster.  GVR could have been involved (now a top G).  We could not sign Joe Thuney who signed for the AFCC Chiefs for a lot of money.    The perception was also that the 3rd round in that draft was lousy (Vikings used one pick for Kellen Mond).   But we would have been better off with Christian Darrisaw. 
  • AVT cannot play T again.  He gets hurt at T.  His body is not made for T.  He was not hurt at USC and was All Rookie (basically All Pro) LG his first year. 
  • Do the Jets pick up the 5th year option for a G who may not start week 1?  I think they have to.
  • Nothing is getting better on the Jets OL until they fix Strength and Conditioning and Training.
  • But the AVT injury is basically driving the roster construction now, because we can’t move him over to LG and get rid of Tomlinson unless we have a viable replacement.
  • As we will discuss on other threads, the Jets cannot overpay/premium pay defense anymore.   They now need to overpay offense to fill holes.  Yes, Tomlinson was overpaid grossly, but so likely we the next guys we sign to fill holes.  The Jets are not signing FA OL-they always avoided us unless we can overpay a backup/TE like Fant (which worked out).  This is a fraternity.  No one is playing for Keith Carter.  
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, varjet said:
  • This was a squirrelly trade, but in retrospect the logic was that they just drafted a QB and LG the season before was a disaster.  GVR could have been involved (now a top G).  We could not sign Joe Thuney who signed for the AFCC Chiefs for a lot of money.    The perception was also that the 3rd round in that draft was lousy (Vikings used one pick for Kellen Mond).   But we would have been better off with Christian Darrisaw. 
  • AVT cannot play T again.  He gets hurt at T.  His body is not made for T.  He was not hurt at USC and was All Rookie (basically All Pro) LG his first year. 
  • Do the Jets pick up the 5th year option for a G who may not start week 1?  I think they have to.
  • Nothing is getting better on the Jets OL until they fix Strength and Conditioning and Training.
  • But the AVT injury is basically driving the roster construction now, because we can’t move him over to LG and get rid of Tomlinson unless we have a viable replacement.
  • As we will discuss on other threads, the Jets cannot overpay/premium pay defense anymore.   They now need to overpay offense to fill holes.  Yes, Tomlinson was overpaid grossly, but so likely we the next guys we sign to fill holes.  The Jets are not signing FA OL-they always avoided us unless we can overpay a backup/TE like Fant (which worked out).  This is a fraternity.  No one is playing for Keith Carter.  

I understand that we dont want to move AVT around and the injury concern is legitimate but for everyone saying not to move him, there isnt a single reasonable option yet at LT.  Paying Becton is a complete waste and WAY to big of a risk given his attitude, injury history and sub-par play when he is on the field.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:19 PM, HighPitch said:

Avt is the likeable thinner Becton

always hurt

cant rely on him

jets would be wise to pretend he doesnt exist and an accordingly

One other difference.  When healthy, AVT is a solid lineman wherever he plays,  Becton is a turnstile that will get Rodgers killed and destroy an offense with holding penalties.

On 1/13/2024 at 10:08 AM, Lurker89 said:

1st rounder and the two 3rd rounders they gave up to trade up for him.

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2024 at 10:22 AM, Raideraholic said:

You can’t think about moving AVT coming off devastating injury . Reports he might not be ready for the start of next season.  You need for certainty who’s going to be protecting your forty one year old Qb blind side.    

If AVt was healthy and finished the season that way .    Your idea wouldn’t be bad, but it’s terrible because you don’t what shape that legs going to be in, or when he’s going to be ready to go.  Hopefully for Jet fans he proves to be healthy, and you have one of your guard positions filled. ( that’s what he should be concentrate on being) 
It’s better going after Fant in Fa , because it better to have proven options to fall back on , than just count on being able to solve your needs in the draft. 

Well if there’s solid, reliable, and accurately predictive football analysis we should all look for, it’s from this guy. 

On 1/13/2024 at 11:07 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

Trent Brown has played mostly RT in his career - probably for good reason. We're going to be the ones to move him over and get good results?

Trent Brown has played Lt for the Patriots and done pretty well.   Before the Raiders signed him he was playing Lt.    He has played majority time at  Rt , but he’s capable of playing Lt.        This is another offense lineman that known to miss games ( injuries).

• Upvote 1