SB came down to this

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think in the end Pat Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Isaiah Pacheco willed their team to victory.   You always want the star QB to win you the SB.  

The 49ers did pretty well with a very good 7th round QB getting them to OT in the Super Bowl.  

If Mahomes gets hurt, just like when Brady gets hurt, his team is toast.  

The Jets were a poor man's version of that approach with Rodgers.   Their backup QB is Blaine Gabbert.  Is he better than Trevor Siemian?  He is better than Zach Wilson. 

Yep.  Mahomes is a great one.  And there were also a couple of dropped passes that could’ve put a different complexion on the game.  Purdy?  They didn’t seem to do kap any favors after he brought to the Super Bowl and lost.  He’s the guy right now but let’s see when the new contract time rolls around.

49ers played a really good game. Mahomes and Kelce just willed their team to victory.

The Chiefs had a few self inflected wounds in the 1H. I.e. Fumble in the red zone. The Chiefs turned it around. You can only contain Mahomes for so long.

• Upvote 1

There are always a number of plays called in games that can turn the tide.  My vote is still the innocuous one not talked about much.  The blocked PAT, turning it from a 4 point game into a 3 point game.

Also as someone else mentioned, you have one Saleh like defense that never blitzes and one that blitzes creatively when they really need a stop.

With the corners the Jets have they should be blitzing WAY more than they do.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The number of plays called by most offenses is far less than given credit for and coaching matters far less as well. The Chiefs won because Patrick Mahomes whipped his dick out yet again. Almost any sport, team or individual, follows the same pattern. Don't care if it's tennis or football. The best player playing usually wins, and when a guy that's so far beyond everyone else on the field is out there the odds increase exponentially.

Yep, always been like that. Yet, San Fran taking ball first in overtime was a head scratcher. Like playing 3 card poker but dealing 4 to your opponent. Stupid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This one is on Shanahan (again). 3 Super Bowls as HC or OC - all 3 with double digit leads - all 3 abandoned the run.

The 49ers offense was basically non-existent for 2 quarters. They got too pass heavy and did not call enough screens to negate the pass rush.

When a defense holds the Chiefs to 19 points through 4 quarters, they've more than done their job. 

Spags out coached Shanahan by a lot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Shanny stopped running the ball and that's what cost them the game. 

SF ran that ball 31 times (granted 3 were scrambles).  They also threw 8 passes to CMC, who touched the ball 30 times.

You want to pick one play?  The ball bounced off a blocker's foot on a punt return.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Gonna be funny when niners give Purdy a monster contract and then suddenly they can't afford to surround him with all pros.

I don't think Purdy is bad or anything but he is vastly overrated. A poor man's version of Goff on the rams

This is a really good point. Purdy has obviously played really well over the course of two seasons and can clearly be the guy for that team....however when the bank starts breaking will he be the QB that can elevate the players around him? Who knows....he's still very young so it's not like he's a finished product by any means.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Gonna be funny when niners give Purdy a monster contract and then suddenly they can't afford to surround him with all pros.

I don't think Purdy is bad or anything but he is vastly overrated. A poor man's version of Goff on the rams

It would be very interesting to see Purdy in a situation where he doesn't have outstanding weapons everywhere (like he currently does).  I would definitely have the concern you raised if I was a 49ers fan.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

SF defense could not make the big stop.......that's what it boiled down to 

There was nothing magical or spectacular about what Mahomes did last night, even in the 4th qtr/overtime.

On critical downs at the end of the game Reid schemed up plays that easily beat the SF pressure and defense, either by running Mahomes or giving him the option to throw to wide open receivers.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

It would be very interesting to see Purdy in a situation where he doesn't have outstanding weapons everywhere (like he currently does).  I would definitely have the concern you raised if I were a 49ers fan.

I still think he'll be good. I'm not sure if he will ever be "elite" but I can see a Kirk Cousins type of career for him and you can certianly with a Super Bowl with that.

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I still think he'll be good. I'm not sure if he will ever be "elite" but I can see a Kirk Cousins type of career for him and you can certianly with a Super Bowl with that.

not sure you can.  Paying non elite QB's elite money has not worked yet.  The only model that has worked is paying elite qb elite money or having a serviceable rookie scale QB.

Prescott, Cousins, Murray, Carr, et...   

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yes but if Shanahan stuck with the run I think 49ers would have won. Kyle Shanahan as great of a coach as he is apparently gets into his own head during the Super Bowl.

absolutely.

chiefs get the ball to start the 3rd and niners get it right back - pretty sure mccaffery never touches the ball on that series of downs and they punt.

After another turn back from the chiefs niners get it again and pretty sure no macaffery touches or possibly one.

So two drives where you are up 7 and an opportunity to run clock, tire out a defense and potetnially put up more points and your best player and having success in the first half does not get a touch.

It is as if he is thinking ok - you expect me to continue to do what what successful in the first half but I am smarter and will do something completely different.

I simply dont get it

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

This one is on Shanahan (again). 3 Super Bowls as HC or OC - all 3 with double digit leads - all 3 abandoned the run.

The 49ers offense was basically non-existent for 2 quarters. They got too pass heavy and did not call enough screens to negate the pass rush.

When a defense holds the Chiefs to 19 points through 4 quarters, they've more than done their job. 

That's less than 3pts below their average. KC hasn't been an offensive juggernaut but with Mahomes it seems like he can score what and when he needs to