Mac Jones traded to Jacksonville

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why? They’re going to exhaust every option.

This trade sets the market and likely dooms them, but I’m sure the goal was to recoup something for him.

If he’s still on the team after the draft I’ll be surprised.

Who’s exhausting every option? It’s not the Jets. Wilson is seeking his own destination. The Jets are not shopping Zach Wilson. This was reported by his hometown paper in November. He knows what his market is. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@Sperm Edwards can correct me if I’m wrong but looks like Jacksonville will only eat at maximum $2.8M of Jones’ salary this year.  

6th + $2.8M of Mac vs a 7th + $5.2M for Zach.  Which is the better deal, Zach stans?

This is correct.

They both suck and Zach is nearly double the $ for the year. Neither has any chance of having his 5th year option exercised. There's also a chance it costs no picks anyway (depending how many FAs Jacksonville loses & signs in '25), as they could get back a compensatory 6th or 7th for Jones in '26. Depends if he sees the field at all; if Lawrence plays his usual 16-17 games then a comp 7th is the best they'd likely get back if kept the whole season.

Alternatively, if someone is ultra-desperate for a month before the trade deadline, they might get back more than that 6th a year later by moving Jones in October. There'd have to be a perfect storm of circumstances, though, and I wouldn't anticipate that happening.

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who’s exhausting every option? It’s not the Jets. Wilson is seeking his own destination. The Jets are not shopping Zach Wilson. This was reported by his hometown paper in November. He knows what his market is. 

You don’t think the Jets are taking calls on Zach Wilson? Letting him seek the best deal he can doesn’t mean they won’t trade him once said deals don’t materialize.

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Why? They’re going to exhaust every option.

This trade sets the market and likely dooms them, but I’m sure the goal was to recoup something for him.

If he’s still on the team after the draft I’ll be surprised.

The goal is to shed his $5M cap hit but I can’t see another team taking that on for a 3rd string QB

• Upvote 1

Remember this gem:

Zach Wilson is one of just a handful of 2021 NFL first-round draft picks who has yet to sign his rookie contract after fellow quarterbacks Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones inked their deals earlier this week with Jacksonville and New England, respectively.Jul 9, 2021

This sets a ceiling for Wilson in a bad way. As sperm pointed out, Wilson's comp is twice Jones's contract. No reasonable GM is trading away more for a comparable (or worse) QB with twice the cap hit. The Jets would be extremely lucky to get a seventh for Wilson. It's more likely with this trade that the Jets will have to either keep him or cut him and hope another team picks him up so they can offset some of his rookie contract. 

14 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

This sets a ceiling for Wilson in a bad way. As sperm pointed out, Wilson's comp is twice Jones's contract. No reasonable GM is trading away more for a comparable (or worse) QB with twice the cap hit. The Jets would be extremely lucky to get a seventh for Wilson. It's more likely with this trade that the Jets will have to either keep him or cut him and hope another team picks him up so they can offset some of his rookie contract. 

No one wants Zach.  Worst qb in the nfl and has a $11.1 mil cap hit. 

Mac Jones is not good but he’s way better than Zachenberg and he’s probably going to have a long career as an ok NFL backup qb.  He can be a Case Keenum type so he has value.  Zach has negative value.

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:
5 hours ago, Matt39 said:
Welcome home Zach!!

I don't see how this all of a sudden makes Zach Wilson worth a roster spot, but ok.

He’s both bashed JD and the Jets for not having moved Zach and also predicts that Zach will be a Jet this season and it will be the end of the team.  

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He’s both bashed JD and the Jets for not having moved Zach and also predicts that Zach will be a Jet this season and it will be the end of the team.  

The right football move is releasing Wilson. 

• Upvote 4

The Jets understood his market was zero. The intent was to always have him back on the roster. Woodys comments were purposeful. The folks here who can’t believe it will be telling themselves in a month it’s the right move. Football guy got banned but he was telling us this was the case. Granted the Jets are fools and he was peddling their foolish nonsense, but they want Zach on the roster.

Interesting theory, but only if they truly believe working with AR can improve his play. If he sits as #3 all year he will be a FA this time next year and not worth more than low back up money for another year behind AR. This year’s money is already spent/guaranteed unless some other team takes the 5M salary off the NYJ hands. Maybe some other teams qb injury in training camp helps with a trade, right now teams have too many other options. FWIW Zach’s skill level is well above MAC’s it all depends on what some team is looking for and how much smarter than the NYJ’s coaching staff they think they are.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s funny that belichick wins all those super bowls and divisions and then can’t survive drafting Mac jones, yet saleh and jd can seemingly whiff on zach wilson and survive it. 

if Bill wanted to be there he would be.

they did with Bill what all teams do to aging players with not much time left when they are rebuilding. give them a chance to go somewhere else to win.

By cutting Zach, if someone else signs him the Jets save $1+mm in cash and cap if another team picks him hip for the vet minimum.  Possible but not guaranteed. 

$1mm is a $1mm.    Saving $1mm is the best thing that can happen to Woody and JD here.    This trade is not terrible for the Jaguars.  They get  back up QB. Mac Jones is from UF. He must be delighted to return to FL.