What Do I Do If It's Jets vs. Lions In The Super Bowl?

6 hours ago, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

A lot of the longtime posters here know what I do for a living. I also happen to work in a Detroit suburb which after Detroit itself, is the epicenter of mass gatherings for Detroit sports fans. In my career I've spent 2002 (Red Wings win), 2004 (Pistons win), 2008 (Red Wings win) and 2009 (Red Wings loss) standing on the street waiting for and in every case but 2009, dealing with a mass celebration. It's always an "All Hands On Deck" affair where everyone is ordered in. 

So here is my dilemma. Needless to say if the Lions make the Super Bowl, Metro Detroit will (rightfully) lose their minds and I'll be stuck at work, waiting to manage the celebration. or not.  

So what do I do if they play the Jets? There's no way I can not watch the game but I'll have to work, out of view of a TV,  without question since I'm running the show.

My retirement/pension is maxed two days after the AFC Championship.......Which begs the question: Do I drop my retirement papers with a Jets AFC title if they play the Lions? 😄

Law enforcement?

Don't retire based on a sports game or even a maximum pension. Retire with a plan, retire when it stops being rewarding, retire with something to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

A lot of the longtime posters here know what I do for a living. I also happen to work in a Detroit suburb which after Detroit itself, is the epicenter of mass gatherings for Detroit sports fans. In my career I've spent 2002 (Red Wings win), 2004 (Pistons win), 2008 (Red Wings win) and 2009 (Red Wings loss) standing on the street waiting for and in every case but 2009, dealing with a mass celebration. It's always an "All Hands On Deck" affair where everyone is ordered in. 

So here is my dilemma. Needless to say if the Lions make the Super Bowl, Metro Detroit will (rightfully) lose their minds and I'll be stuck at work, waiting to manage the celebration. or not.  

So what do I do if they play the Jets? There's no way I can not watch the game but I'll have to work, out of view of a TV,  without question since I'm running the show.

My retirement/pension is maxed two days after the AFC Championship.......Which begs the question: Do I drop my retirement papers with a Jets AFC title if they play the Lions? 😄

I am a firm believer that there are certain instances where it is not worth solving a theoretical problem until it becomes a real one. 

And while I would sign up for this scenario right now,I don't think this is one you need to be sweating over too much.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Wake up from my wet dream ?

• Haha 1

easy:  it's Jets.  ALWAYS Jets!!!

I'm no bible thumper.  But I'm fairly certain that if we put our minds to it we could find a passage in Revelation that predicts a Jets v Lions superbowl as the beginning of the end time.

So.... maybe if they are both in their respective championship games, stock up on food, water and ammunition?

• Haha 1

On 7/25/2024 at 8:03 AM, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

Do I drop my retirement papers with a Jets AFC title if they play the Lions? 😄

Yes. Everything about retirement beats having a job. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/25/2024 at 9:03 AM, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

I have some thoughts on this.

Nelson Wilbury once put it, as though predicting your very predicament:

You don't know what you're doing
Or what you have to guard
The devil's been busy in your backyard

The situation you describe could very well mean there are bigger issues at play than your concerns about a work shift. I believe the verse begins:

And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour…

Baba Vanga also did predict the apocalypse beginning in 2025.

Coincidence? You tell me.

If you want to feel safe, then pray. Pray for another SOJ season.

• Haha 1

My retirement/pension is maxed two days after the AFC Championship.......Which begs the question: Do I drop my retirement papers with a Jets AFC title if they play the Lions? 
No worries, it won't be the Lions and the Jets this year.

It will be the Jets and the Packers

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

On 7/25/2024 at 9:03 AM, The Gun Of Bavaria said:

You can rest easy.  The only way this is going to happen is in Retro Bowl.

• Haha 1

On 7/27/2024 at 7:57 PM, jetspenguin said:

No worries, it won't be the Lions and the Jets this year.

It will be the Jets and the Packers

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

My family would go to war if that happened. Most of them are packers fans. 

On 7/25/2024 at 9:13 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Retreat to the bunker. Prepare for incoming Nukes.

In an actual answer, as soon as your pension is topped, cash in - "Jets v Lions Superbowl" hallucinations or not.  There IS life out of the bag. Don't be a lifer. Those dudes always regret it. "I'll retire in, uh, 2 years... when the drop is increased... Oh, I'll retire in 5 years, when I have 35 years in.... Oh, I'll retire in 2040 because it's a cool number....". Dudes are TERRIFIED to leave the job, wait too long and then regret it. And TRUST ME, nobody will really care. The Machine keeps moving with or without you, and it doesn't matter if you did 10 years or 40, when you leave, you're just a guy that used to work there. 

As soon as I had the Monthly I figured was my Red Line, I bailed. Best decision I ever made. I miss the guys, but I do NOT miss the job or the BS. Just my .02

I appreciate the $0.02 trust me. I've been ready to go for years.....a promotional chance I wasn't expecting came up in 2022 and I took it to boost my pension. .....the the issue of a DROP is the exact reason I'm even debating staying another 3. I'm not sure I can handle another 3 at this point.....   I've never once met someone who regretted retiring from the job. 

• Upvote 1