Geno Smith Punched by IK, out 6-10 weeks. All discussion here (MERGED)

For what ever it is worth:

A source who spoke with Geno Smith told me the Jets quarterback says he approached IK Enemkpali around the (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sn8bb8 

• A source who spoke with Geno Smith told me the Jets quarterback says he approached IK Enemkpali around the start of camp prior to the big incident that occurred Tuesday. The source said Smith did this after sensing a lingering issue between them after he was unable to attend Enemkpali's offseason event, as it felt like the now former Jets linebacker was not speaking to him. The source emphasized, Smith tried to diffuse the situation at that time by offering to pay $600 to Enemkpali that Smith said his former teammate claimed was owed for both a plane ticket and car service.”

At this point I don't know what to believe.. 

Should give management and Coach Bowles some pause that nobody seems to be down in the dumps that the nominal starting QB is out, and worse, the best player on the team, Revis, said both players were at fault. 

Can someone give me the Readers Digest version of what happened...was there a death in Geno's family and that's why he no-showed at the camp? Did he let IK know beforehand? I've been off the grid.

I believe of friend of Geno's was killed in an accident.  It was a sudden death.  However,  the airplane ticket for  a charity event that IK was involved in had already been purchased for Geno.  Geno called IK to tell him he wouldn't be able to make the charity event and said he would pay for the airplane ticket.  Apparently,  Geno had not reimbursed IK and the fight broke out.  I believe the charity event was a few weeks ago.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

“I apologize to the Jets organization, coaches, teammates and fans,” the statement reads. “Geno and I let our frustration get the best of us, but I should have just walked away from the situation. I deeply regret and apologize for my actions. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I appreciate the opportunity I had with the Jets.”

IK.

per

www.Profootballtalk.com

Goodell's investigation:

Taking it very seriously.  IK looking at a full season suspension.  This is based on the assumption Smith was wearing his red "no contact" jersey when he crossed the room to confront IK.  If he wasn't wearing the Jersey, it'll be 2 games.  And IK can bargain it down to being benched for the 1st quarter of the first game.

Goodell's investigation:

Taking it very seriously.  IK looking at a full season suspension.  This is based on the assumption Smith was wearing his red "no contact" jersey when he crossed the room to confront IK.  If he wasn't wearing the Jersey, it'll be 2 games.  And IK can bargain it down to being benched for the 1st quarter of the first game.

And under no circumstances should IK destroy his cell phone!!!!!

• Thumb Down 1

“I apologize to the Jets organization, coaches, teammates and fans,” the statement reads. “Geno and I let our frustration get the best of us, but I should have just walked away from the situation. I deeply regret and apologize for my actions. It was never my intention to harm anyone. I appreciate the opportunity I had with the Jets.”

IK.

per

www.Profootballtalk.com

FU IK

Ex players on the NFL channel said if a guy puts his finger in my face he's getting hit..LOL

Watching NFL network right now and they just did this.  I want to tweet them and state someone putting their finger in your face shouldn't warrant escalation to punching or fighting.  No wonder the NFL has so many domestic violence cases when that's how you live your life.

So Geno approached IK, a man he owed money, and stuck his finger in his face? He deserved to get knocked out. What a total immature a$$hole for bringing personal issues to the work place putting the entire team at risk. Not cut out to be the leader of a team that's for sure.. And this is coming from someone who was somewhat excited to see what he can do under Chan. Go Fitz and bring back IK

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

So Geno approached IK, a man he owed money, and stuck his finger in his face? He deserved to get knocked out. What a total immature a$$hole for bringing personal issues to the work place putting the entire team at risk. Not cut out to be the leader of a team that's for sure.. And this is coming from someone who was somewhat excited to see what he can do under Chan. Go Fitz and bring back IK

I don't know where ppl are stating Geno approached IK, b/c all day its been the other way around.  IK approached Geno about the money again, words were said, geno poked him in the chest and then got coldcocked.  If thats all it takes for you to swing at me I'll make sure never to do any business with you! lol

EDIT: Just so its clear, I do partly blame Geno as this scenario should never have played out.  This is not how a leader handles his business.  Once again as I've stated before, Geno doesn't have the maturity to be a NFL QB.  But no he doesn't nor does anyone deserve to be coldcocked for anything other than self-defense.

IMO Geno is done as a Jet. There is no way anyone is ever going to follow him into battle.  I believe Macc will try to trade or dump Geno after the season.

Edited by JETSfaninNE
  • Upvote 1

Can you confirm about the Geno brother or friend situation? Was he hurt or did someone die on a motorcycle? Schefter and Rapoport have conflicting reports...

Nawrocki's QB assessments as spot on as you can get.

Hate agreeing with that guy but you're right

Not a student of the game.  Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire.  Mild practice demeanor — no urgency.  Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic.  Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board.  Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength.  Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles).  Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements.  Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Hate agreeing with that guy but you're right

Not a student of the game.  Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire.  Mild practice demeanor — no urgency.  Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic.  Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board.  Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength.  Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles).  Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements.  Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.”

Called JFB too. Geno just seems like an unlikeable dope.

For what ever it is worth:

A source who spoke with Geno Smith told me the Jets quarterback says he approached IK Enemkpali around the (cont) http://tl.gd/n_1sn8bb8 

• A source who spoke with Geno Smith told me the Jets quarterback says he approached IK Enemkpali around the start of camp prior to the big incident that occurred Tuesday. The source said Smith did this after sensing a lingering issue between them after he was unable to attend Enemkpali's offseason event, as it felt like the now former Jets linebacker was not speaking to him. The source emphasized, Smith tried to diffuse the situation at that time by offering to pay $600 to Enemkpali that Smith said his former teammate claimed was owed for both a plane ticket and car service.”

At this point I don't know what to believe.. 

Yeah, me neither. It really is a cluster**** of a situation that should never have happened.

• Upvote 1

Can you confirm about the Geno brother or friend situation? Was he hurt or did someone die on a motorcycle? Schefter and Rapoport have conflicting reports...

No one was killed Geno's brother got a broken arm and some ribs.. Geno never called IK to say he wasn't coming and he was suppose to give IK the money he laid out for a plane ticket and hotel room when camp started and Geno didn't .. 

Exactly..I was actually going to start a thread yesterday talking about how nice it is that we can read all the tweets about how Petty is throwing in practice (a couple INT's here, a couple TD's there) and not have to hang on every tweet trying to determine how our season is going to play out. 

It was nice he has been able to do is thing under the radar, without the heavy scrutiny of the beat reporters while he learns the position. Now fans want to go right back to where we have already been the last 6 years! 

Agreed. I don't want Petty to see the field in any regular-season action this year.

No one was killed Geno's brother got a broken arm and some ribs.. Geno never called IK to say he wasn't coming and he was suppose to give IK the money he laid out for a plane ticket and hotel room when camp started and Geno didn't .. 

Do we have this confirmed? If that's the case then F Geno all the way...

No, that's not what happened at all.

This thread is like the worst game of Telephone ever.

• Upvote 1

Watching NFL network right now and they just did this.  I want to tweet them and state someone putting their finger in your face shouldn't warrant escalation to punching or fighting.  No wonder the NFL has so many domestic violence cases when that's how you live your life.

In fairness, they did have an interview with Adrian Peterson. He is quoted as saying "If a 10 year old puts his finger in my face, he's going to get punched"

• Upvote 1

Sure hope Kelly cuts either Tebow, or Sanchez.   :)

Please, yes!  I still have one Sanchez jersey that has not been shredded by slug/00 combo rounds.  I was saving it for my next big trip to the desert, but I think I can still squeeze into it if Mex is re-purposed.