Revis looked old today.

johnnyjet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When no one throws your way, it's easy to look like a HOF.  Revis was great, although I always wonder if it was more perception and fear of "Revis Island" than actual reality.  

Problem is, people no longer fear Revis.  And as they throw his way more, his lustre will continue to erode.

He's still a #1.  But he's no longer elite.  That much should be clear.

Ok but I m saying he's not what he was.  I suppose the whole defense sucking contributed to my negativity and I love Revis and his competitive nature so I'll give him a pass for today.  Cro on the other hand can't tackle as usual. 

When no one throws your way, it's easy to look like a HOF.  Revis was great, although I always wonder if it was more perception and fear of "Revis Island" than actual reality.  

Problem is, people no longer fear Revis.  And as they throw his way more, his lustre will continue to erode.

What is elite?  How many CBs are better than him?

He's not as good as he was from 2009-2013, but he's still elite.

.  Cro on the other hand can't tackle as usual. 

Or cover - anything or anyone.

This is a multifaceted issue that begs he find a new line of work.

The 10 yard cushion he applies - so he doesn't get burned deep -  allows for the lousiest of passes to get completed.

Compounding is the fact he can't cant bring anybody down after said catch.

A smaller cushion would be the remedy - except he gets juked out of his jock if he's close to anyone running with a football.

It's a problem. 

It *is* the case that when they show a replay after he gives up a reception, he looks a little sluggish out there.  It's like the receiver got open with very little effort.  Obviously they don't show all the times he *doesn't* get beat.  So I'm not 100% sure what to make of it.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but it seems like in 2009 no one was *ever* open when he was covering them.

Jeez, you act like Revis in his prime was Nnamdi, left to roam one side of the field and cover the Eric Parkers of the world. He was a shadow corner, covering and taking away the opposing team's best receiver. The way Revis was used necessitated him being targeted. While the myth is greater than the mustard for many big name CBs, Revis is not among them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching him cover Cooper, he's not the lockdown he once was.  I don't know if he's hurt or what but he just doesn't appear to be the revis island he once was.  Am I wrong?

Which game did you watch today? Or are you just on a roll whining about the team 

LOL, you really wrote this?  40ish yards to one of the top WRs in the league while his QB threw for over 330 yards.  Its funny how anyone could write this kind of whine 

He was actually beaten a few times in the NE game too but he had three drops against him, one for a td by Edelman and one by lafell that would have set up a fg.

He was the same way last year in NE more or less.  He can be beaten by elite speed or elite quickness and the rule changes for jamming have limited his options, so he gives a little more cushion.

so while he doesn't have the perfect 4.3 speed he used too he makes up for it with better instincts.  Still totally elite, but not quite perfect like 2009.

@Connor_J_Hughes: How’d Revis do covering Amari Cooper?

The rookie wideout finished with his lowest yardage total, second lowest catch total, of season.

So. Yes. You are wrong. 

Normal overreaction by our fan base 

waits for someone to say what game where you watching ?

LOL, you really wrote this?  40ish yards to one of the top WRs in the league while his QB threw for over 330 yards.  Its funny how anyone could write this kind of whine 

Look we all love Revis but he has looked slow the last few weeks. He gave up an easy TD in the Washington game and another against the Pats. He was completely burned running full speed for his life behind Cooper yesterday and the ball was over thrown luckily yesterday.

Revis isn't the whole problem and is still one of the stronger pieces of the team, but we were seeing the beginning of the decline and he looks like he lost an entire step to me this season.

That just isn't true. In 2009 Rex's entire defense was designed to force people to throw to Revis. And it worked, He has the most charted attemps of any top QB's for the year and the top Y/P and success rate (the nearest in Y/P was 25% higher). It might of been the best season ever by a CB

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/stat-day-2009-cb-charting-stats  (article won't paste properly)

Look we all love Revis but he has looked slow the last few weeks. He gave up an easy TD in the Washington game and another against the Pats. He was completely burned running full speed for his life behind Cooper yesterday and the ball was over thrown luckily yesterday.

Revis isn't the whole problem and is still one of the stronger pieces of the team, but we were seeing the beginning of the decline and he looks like he lost an entire step to me this season.

Problem is fans who write this actually believe a CB, any CB can go a whole season and never get beat.  Seriously, he gave up two TDs?  

And the best line of shlt three or four fans have posted.  He was burned by Cooper.  LOL, again, 40 something yards to one of the top WRs in the league, no TDs while Carr threw for 330 yards.  

Burned

All day.  

Watching him cover Cooper, he's not the lockdown he once was.  I don't know if he's hurt or what but he just doesn't appear to be the revis island he once was.  Am I wrong?

Revis is great, but he's no longer in his prime. That was 5 years ago. 

Revis is still a top notch corner though, which means that he's not looking "old" 

If you want to talk about a CB who looks old or washed up, lets talk about Cromartie and his performance. 

Erosion has definitely hurt the island. Patriots knew when to walk away.

Revis is still playing at a high level. However, he hasn't been the shutdown corner this year. I remember him rarely giving up catches in the 2009-10 season. 5 catches for 46 yards would be considered a bad day for Revis back then. It's the norm now n that's acceptable. Problem is, Cro gives up over 100 yards a game every time. Add the slot n TEs n you've got a D that gives up too much too often. 

Revis is great, but he's no longer in his prime. That was 5 years ago. 

Revis is still a top notch corner though, which means that he's not looking "old" 

If you want to talk about a CB who looks old or washed up, lets talk about Cromartie and his performance. 

Revis is the least of the Jets problems in the secondary.  He is still a top tier CB, but just isn't the best in the game anymore.    The Revis of today isn't stopping an Amari Cooper, the Raiders just elected to throw against much easier targets.      If the  Raiders put Amari Cooper in motion there was no way Revis was staying with him.  https://twitter.com/johnmiddlekauff/status/661775856348581888.       

Revis is the least of the Jets problems in the secondary.  He is still a top tier CB, but just isn't the best in the game anymore.    The Revis of today isn't stopping an Amari Cooper, the Raiders just elected to throw against much easier targets.      If the  Raiders put Amari Cooper in motion there was no way Revis was staying with him.  https://twitter.com/johnmiddlekauff/status/661775856348581888.       

Dude stop it. 

That was a short ass route on soft coverage. With that said, he has the least amount of yards in a game this year, the second lowest amount of catches and no touchdowns. 

Go away dude. 

Archived