Petty to Start Remaining Games

JetNation

Jets Quarterback Bryce Petty failed to build on a strong week 2 performacne.

When the Jets took the field for the 2nd half in their prime time loss to the Indianapolis Colts, Bryce Petty took over at QB for Ryan Fitzpatrick. Barring injury, it ended a disappointing season for Fitzpatrick in which he never came close to replicating the results he had last year. Petty’s numbers tonight were not great, but he showed a big arm and he flashed his potential a few times.

It looks like his audition will last several weeks. After the game head coach Todd Bowles announced that he planned on starting Bryce Petty the last 4 games. Bowles explained the situation like this:

The plan was for us to start him the last four games anyway, so we just started a half early. We could have won 45-0 and he was going to start the last four games.

Petty was asked for his reaction to being named the starting QB:

Just opportunity. It’s tough right now because obviously this game didn’t go like we wanted (it) to at all, but looking ahead it’s an opportunity. I just said in an interview earlier, I’m a kid from Midlothian, Texas. Who would’ve ever thought I would be where I am now? I’m excited for the opportunity. I’m going to lead these guys the best I can and be ready to rock and roll.

Petty and Robby Anderson connected on a touchdown but Petty missed him a few other times. Giving both of these players first team reps will be important as they try to improve their chemistry. Petty discussed missing Anderson on a few deep balls.

I’d rather miss him by 10 miles than miss him by the finger tips. Robby got behind the defense a couple of times and that’s shots you’ve got to hit on, especially in this league. That doesn’t happen often. I think that’ll get better with time being able to throw to him these next coming weeks. He did really good getting behind the defense. I’ve just got to hit him.

At this point in the time the wins and losses don’t mean much. Finding the next QB is mission # 1. This is why bringing Fitzpatrick back this year was such a big mistake. Petty might not be the guy, but the next 4 games just got more interesting. The team should be energized by the QB switch and he took chances down the field. That is something the Jets need to do more of, as they stretch the field more with Petty’s strong arm it will help them in the running game as well.

This is how the next four weeks stack up.

12/11 @ 49ers

12/17 vs Dolphins

12/24 @ Patriots

1/1 vs Bills

We are not sure that Petty can answer all the questions that exist right now. What he can do is get better each week and put himself in the conversation for next season.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
KBUD2WZWOAs

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big ******* deal. He played like sh*t as well and the defense is ******* terrible, the online sucks and the coaching sucks. 

Fire Bowels and then maybe things will change. 3 pro bowl DL that try 25% of the time. 

And Lee was a great pick. Oversized safety that can't cover to save his ******* life. 

Petty looked rusty.  He has 4 drops, by my count. though.  Would have been nice to see him able to incorporate the run as well.  He was not real accurate, and he throws it hard.  Anderson had trouble hanging on.  Powell's drop was actually pathetic.  Does he see the whole field? No  Does Fitz?  Is he a raw recruit? Yes. Is Fitz?  I do not know if I am going to like Petty.  There is something about him that bothers me and I have not figured it out yet, because he has not been given anywhere near a fair shot.  And I doubt the team will be putting out for him the rest of the way, which is not fair.  This team is a joke when it comes to professionalism. And I would still like one game of Hack before year's end.  I am glad I do not have to listen to Gruden again this year.  That's about it.  Oh, yes, and Mr. Todd Blowes needs to go.

Bowles has been tacitly telling you guys that Petty is not ready for the bright lights. The question is will you guys come to terms with this after a loss in San Fran (with another sub 50 QBR) or do you need the pain of 4 straight losses (averaging sub 50 QBR) to get the picture?

I thought that considering the situation he was put into he showed some talent and the ability to at times move the offense. Of course he was facing a D that gave him a lot of cushion (with a big lead). But since he had to throw on every down it increased the Colts chances to pick off balls. I still wasn't impressed with Petty's ints. IMO they were avoidable. As for what he had to say after the game. I keep hearing this from him. It's all about his personal development and not about the game or winning the game. When you hear Fitz talk it's always about the team and the game. So to me this is where his mindset is and winning games for him is below his personal development. I want a starting Qb who wants to win first. But let's see. I give him a C for his performance,. And a D for his post game interviews. 

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Petty getting first team reps in practice is going to be huge.. Sure he hasn't gotten a chance to do much in practice with fitzgarbage in the way..

Missing the better part of his 2nd season hurts. He needs reps. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with some organizational support behind him.

Timing and ball placement was off last night, Anderson's drops didn't help. I think these are things that can improve with reps, which is promising.

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Petty and Robby Anderson connected on a touchdown but Petty missed him a few other times. Giving both of these players first team reps will be important as they try to improve their chemistry. Petty discussed missing Anderson on a few deep balls.

I’d rather miss him by 10 miles than miss him by the finger tips. Robby got behind the defense a couple of times and that’s shots you’ve got to hit on, especially in this league. That doesn’t happen often. I think that’ll get better with time being able to throw to him these next coming weeks. He did really good getting behind the defense. I’ve just got to hit him.

By far the most encouraging thing about last night's game was this statement.  He also talked about getting his mind (which works faster) and his feet together.  He gets it and takes responsibility for it.  Now, can he actually get them together....

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

Big ******* deal. He played like sh*t as well and the defense is ******* terrible, the online sucks and the coaching sucks. 

Fire Bowels and then maybe things will change. 3 pro bowl DL that try 25% of the time. 

And Lee was a great pick. Oversized safety that can't cover to save his ******* life. 

Lee looked "scary bad" last night.  What really stood out was how undersized he is.  Harris looks absolutely massive compared to him.  I'm not feeling too good about this pick.

Only the Jets can still look like a bumbling and clueless organization even after making the right move.  Bowles is a terrible coach with terrible judgement and needs to go.  If the GM and owner had any guts, Bowles would be fired NOW.  Yesterday's game was an abomination.  It is obvious that the team has quit on Bowles, so the team needs to quit on him NOW.

1 hour ago, thatboyjack said:

Bowles has been tacitly telling you guys that Petty is not ready for the bright lights. The question is will you guys come to terms with this after a loss in San Fran (with another sub 50 QBR) or do you need the pain of 4 straight losses (averaging sub 50 QBR) to get the picture?

I think you are under estimating us.  I beleive most fans would be totally fine with going 0-4 to finish if we played hard and got to see Petty .  Is he functional etc.

I would rather the team announce a full rebuild  and I think most fans would be fine with it.

1 minute ago, southparkcpa said:

I think you are under estimating us.  I beleive most fans would be totally fine with going 0-4 to finish if we played hard and got to see Petty .  Is he functional etc.

I would rather the team announce a full rebuild  and I think most fans would be fine with it.

It's really the only way at this point.

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I thought that considering the situation he was put into he showed some talent and the ability to at times move the offense. Of course he was facing a D that gave him a lot of cushion (with a big lead). But since he had to throw on every down it increased the Colts chances to pick off balls. I still wasn't impressed with Petty's ints. IMO they were avoidable. As for what he had to say after the game. I keep hearing this from him. It's all about his personal development and not about the game or winning the game. When you hear Fitz talk it's always about the team and the game. So to me this is where his mindset is and winning games for him is below his personal development. I want a starting Qb who wants to win first. But let's see. I give him a C for his performance,. And a D for his post game interviews. 

That's funny because the last time I heard fitz talk, all he did was whine about being benched and throw the organization under the bus 

1 hour ago, thatboyjack said:

I'd much rather lose with Petty getting valuable playing experience than watching Fitz take 1 more snap for this team. As far as Bowles goes he gets no pass from me. He's clearly let the veterans on this team run the roost. Two idiotic late hit penalties last night and he doesn't even replace the player for 1 play. His facade says patience , calm and discipline - the team he's supposedly coaching shows anything but. 

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I think you missed my point. The fans who've been clamoring for Bowles to start Petty since 3-4 games ago or so, witnessed last night, and will continue to witness the fact that Petty is not yet ready. Bowles never said it out right in an interview but the fact that Petty never eclipsed Geno for the #2 slot spoke volumes about Petty being unprepared to be an NFL starter as of yet.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I'd much rather lose with Petty getting valuable playing experience than watching Fitz take 1 more snap for this team......

Me too. We are mathematically eliminated so yeah...let the kid play. He's still not ready to be an NFL starter though. So whoever has been clamoring for Bowles to start Petty for the last 3-4 weeks are going to witness some terrible QB play for the next 4 weeks. Petty is not there yet...that's why Petty never eclipsed Geno for the #2 spot, and why Petty is only seeing the field for 4 games after mathematical elimination.

Just now, thatboyjack said:

I think you missed my point. The fans who've been clamoring for Bowles to start Petty since 3-4 games ago or so, witnessed last night, and will continue to witness the fact that Petty is not yet ready. Bowles never said it out right in an interview but the fact that Petty never eclipsed Geno for the #2 slot spoke volumes about Petty being unprepared to be an NFL starter as of yet.

Me too. We are mathematically eliminated so yeah...let the kid play. He's still not ready to be an NFL starter though. So whoever has been clamoring for Bowles to start Petty for the last 3-4 weeks are going to witness some terrible QB play for the next 4 weeks. Petty is not there yet...that's why Petty never eclipsed Geno for the #2 spot, and why Petty is only seeing the field for 4 games after mathematical elimination.

1) He has a strong arm that defenses need to respect . That opens the box up for the running game and that simple fact should have made him the starter a few games ago, Just like Geno should have started after KC.

2) I wanted Geno starting this season over Fitz , but to be fair to Petty his shoulder injury in preseason insured he couldn't compete for the #2.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

1) He has a strong arm that defenses need to respect . That opens the box up for the running game and that simple fact should have made him the starter a few games ago, Just like Geno should have started after KC.

2) I wanted Geno starting this season over Fitz , but to be fair to Petty his shoulder injury in preseason insured he couldn't compete for the #2.

A strong arm on a person who can't read defenses (yet) makes for a really good.....punter. Petty did  have two nice punts yesterday.

3 hours ago, papz187 said:

Glad to know our HC isn't completely brain dead.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

What choice did he have? The team was being humiliated on National TV with Jon Gruden throwing every insult he could come up with on the air. Bowles IS completely brain dead and you could tell by the way he handled this 'transition'. He didn't tell either one of his QB's before coming for his press conference where he blurted out that Petty had the reins the rest of the way. He doesn't know how to handle a football team and they have quit on him. 

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I am not sure that Petty is the answer, but at least now we have the opportunity to find out. Petty threw a couple of real bad balls last night, including an interception that a senior in high school would not have thrown. He locked on to Robby Anderson all night and ignored all else pretty much. I will reserve judgement until the season is over. 

Archived