John Ross at 6?

Matt39

Playmaker Projection: 694 Yards
Playmaker Rating: 96.9%

John Ross made his mark on NFL draft coverage by running a record 4.22-second 40-yard dash, but the hoopla around his combine performance distracts from the fact that Ross had a strong career as a wide receiver for the Washington Huskies. Ross scored a touchdown on more than four percent of all of the Huskies' pass attempts in 2016. Ross was also somewhat involved in the running game, averaging approximately one rushing attempt every two games, which further boosts his projection. Ross is a bit of a one-hit wonder because he had less than 600 career receiving yards before exploding with 1,150 yards as a junior. However, there is a long history of successful NFL wide receivers, such as Terry Glenn or Brandon Marshall, doing even less than Ross did early in their college careers before breaking out as juniors.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/playmaker-score-2017

If we are trying to build a better team this would be a terrible mistake I think. He may develop into a decent player but is way more likely to be put into the bust category. Combine hero's often get overdrafted and overhyped there are players who have alot more value to us at pick 6...even if we moved down to the late first rounds there would be more value. This kid is the next the next tavon Austin or cooks or devin smith some team will wait a year or two for the kid to break out and find out that he is not as fast or as good as they thought he was but they will get caught up in his hype and take him over someone better. No thanks

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Playmaker Projection: 694 Yards
Playmaker Rating: 96.9%

John Ross made his mark on NFL draft coverage by running a record 4.22-second 40-yard dash, but the hoopla around his combine performance distracts from the fact that Ross had a strong career as a wide receiver for the Washington Huskies. Ross scored a touchdown on more than four percent of all of the Huskies' pass attempts in 2016. Ross was also somewhat involved in the running game, averaging approximately one rushing attempt every two games, which further boosts his projection. Ross is a bit of a one-hit wonder because he had less than 600 career receiving yards before exploding with 1,150 yards as a junior. However, there is a long history of successful NFL wide receivers, such as Terry Glenn or Brandon Marshall, doing even less than Ross did early in their college careers before breaking out as juniors.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/nfl-draft/2017/playmaker-score-2017

Is Ross even mentioned in the same breath as Williams or Davis if he doesnt run a 4.22?  

I cant say I've watched any of Western Michigan, so I know nothing about Corey Davis.  Williams is a beast and I think his game translates.  I only saw a few games of Washington mostly to watch Jake Browning (who I think will be a legit NFL prospect) and you cant help but notice Ross.  He's explosive.  But I cant get the taste out of my mouth of their last game of the season.  Bama shut that sh*t down with ease.  And then you watched Mike Williams look like a grown ass man vs. Bama.  It's hard to get that out of my head and if I'm taking a WR that plays a pretty big factor for me. 

10 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

I think Ross would be a great pick for a team that already has a stud #1 WR.  I would also go with Williams if WR is what we take at 6.  With QB so shaky, I doubt a WR will be the pick, though.

Agreed. Ross is special, will be a game changer and will win games for whichever team drafts him. With that said, he isn't what this team needs right now. Ross is the kind of guy you draft when you already have a really good team. 

With all that said, I'd rather draft him than another guy on defense. 

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

If we are trying to build a better team this would be a terrible mistake I think. He may develop into a decent player but is way more likely to be put into the bust category. Combine hero's often get overdrafted and overhyped there are players who have alot more value to us at pick 6...even if we moved down to the late first rounds there would be more value. This kid is the next the next tavon Austin or cooks or devin smith some team will wait a year or two for the kid to break out and find out that he is not as fast or as good as they thought he was but they will get caught up in his hype and take him over someone better. No thanks

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Cooks is legit. Just look at his numbers in NO. Just wait until this year, they will skyrocket in NE. 

Ross will be an explosive playmaker in the NFL. But I have him behind C.Davis as the #1 WR. He is on par with Williams as the #2 WR on the board- IMO. They are so different that it depends on what you are looking for as a team. 

Having said that, the Jets SHOULD NOT select ANY WR with the 6th pick. Howard is the only pass catcher I am willing to draft. And that is only if Adams, Fournette and Garrett are off the board (which they probably will be) and if the Jets have concerns with Hooker and Lattimore's injuries. 

To me, if the Jets can't trade down, this is who I want. Pretty much in this order. 

1. Garrett- will probably be off the board

2. Fournette- will probably be off the board

3. Adams- will probably be off the board

4. Hooker- injury concerns

5. Lattimore- injury concerns

6. OJ Howard

7. D.Barnett 

I'd have a huge problem with this pick. Not because of the position, but the player. At 6, we'd be able to choose the best WR I'm the draft. Ross is at best a distant 3rd behind Davis and Williams. Meaning we would be choosing Ross over those 2. Which would be extremely stupid.

30 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Cooks is legit. Just look at his numbers in NO. Just wait until this year, they will skyrocket in NE. 

Ross will be an explosive playmaker in the NFL. But I have him behind C.Davis as the #1 WR. He is on par with Williams as the #2 WR on the board- IMO. They are so different that it depends on what you are looking for as a team. 

Having said that, the Jets SHOULD NOT select ANY WR with the 6th pick. Howard is the only pass catcher I am willing to draft. And that is only if Adams, Fournette and Garrett are off the board (which they probably will be) and if the Jets have concerns with Hooker and Lattimore's injuries. 

To me, if the Jets can't trade down, this is who I want. Pretty much in this order. 

1. Garrett- will probably be off the board

2. Fournette- will probably be off the board

3. Adams- will probably be off the board

4. Hooker- injury concerns

5. Lattimore- injury concerns

6. OJ Howard

7. D.Barnett 

You just can't take a player in the top 10 that pulls his oft-injured hamstring at the Combine.  Not after Milliner.

Those not on the Fournette train may regret this, but for a team like the Jets I question using the 6th pick on him this year.  If they traded down with Cleveland and were picking 12, I would feel better about it.

52 minutes ago, varjet said:

You just can't take a player in the top 10 that pulls his oft-injured hamstring at the Combine.  Not after Milliner.

Those not on the Fournette train may regret this, but for a team like the Jets I question using the 6th pick on him this year.  If they traded down with Cleveland and were picking 12, I would feel better about it.

Correct RE: Lattimore. Which is why I specified that he has injury concerns. Hooker, IMO, to a lesser degree. But I really don't know. This will be up t Jets training and medical staff to figure out and make the best recommendation. I'd be happy to draft Lattimore if he was Revis 2.0 and missed a 2-3 games a year due to bad hammies. I would not be happy if he was Milliner 2.0 and could not get on the field. 

The word on Hooker is that despite his surgeries, his draft stock will not fall. This has to make me think that many scouts don't see his surgeries as leading to more injures down the line or a limitation on the type of player he can become.

Personally, I am on the Fournette train. I think he is one of the top 5 prospects in the draft period. Do I understand the concerns of some with the Jets taking a RB so high, sure. But I don't nec. believe you can pass on a guy like that just b/c of the position he plays.

My prediction is that Fournette, Adams, Allen, Garrett, S.Thomas will be off the board as the top 5. The Jets will end up either going with Hooker or OJ Howard. Probably Hooker if they don't have major concerns with his surgeries. I think the Jets like Lattimore, but the hamstring injuries and the fact that this draft is deep at CB will make them pass.    

14 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

I think Ross would be a great pick for a team that already has a stud #1 WR.  I would also go with Williams if WR is what we take at 6.  With QB so shaky, I doubt a WR will be the pick, though.

Edge guy.  We have to kill the opposing QB to have any kind of chance

John Ross has too many question marks to be taken at 6.  For his body type, his NFL comparison may be DeSean Jackson (Devin Smith had the same comparison) but teams are more likely looking for a T.Y. Hilton at 6.  A guy that can win at all levels of the field.  Ross' best ability is his route running on comeback and curl routes, possibly due to opposing cornerbacks' respect for his speed.  He does not do well at routes across the field or angled routes and rarely gets thrown when there is tight coverage.  He needs a quarterback with a strong arm that can capitalize on the separation he creates on comeback, curl and out routes.  A QB with a weak arm allows the cornerback time to make the adjustment and break on the ball.  A quarterback that throws accurately with anticipation (good for slants and post) is not as big a factor as arm strength for the routes Ross excels at.  For angled routes, cornerbacks are rarely in front of the wide receiver (under coverage with over the top help).  In order to make a play on the ball they need to get around the player or it must be a poorly thrown pass.  Ross is great at creating after the catch and is a solid returner. He could develop into a solid player but he needs to stay healthy which is a major concern for him going into the draft.

8 hours ago, JiF said:

Is Ross even mentioned in the same breath as Williams or Davis if he doesnt run a 4.22?  

I cant say I've watched any of Western Michigan, so I know nothing about Corey Davis.  Williams is a beast and I think his game translates.  I only saw a few games of Washington mostly to watch Jake Browning (who I think will be a legit NFL prospect) and you cant help but notice Ross.  He's explosive.  But I cant get the taste out of my mouth of their last game of the season.  Bama shut that sh*t down with ease.  And then you watched Mike Williams look like a grown ass man vs. Bama.  It's hard to get that out of my head and if I'm taking a WR that plays a pretty big factor for me. 

Williams is head and shoulders better than Ross, who can fly, but is not even 6' tall. I don't like smurf WR's. If he was there in second round, I would jump out of my shoes for him.

Archived