Biggest fall from grace?

AFJF

Biggest fall from grace is??  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Make your pick

Saw a list of folks in the sports world who had huge falls from grace and wondered who JetNation saw as having the worst/most embarassing end to their legacy.

I say Joe Paterno for what he allowed to go on at Penn State.

Thoughts?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

It's really not even close, OJ.

OJ had a higher peak and maybe that makes it a bigger fall from grace but Aaron Hernandez is dead and it's not like Paterno who lived a good long life before a sad ending. I vote Hernandez. 

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

OJ had a higher peak and maybe that makes it a bigger fall from grace but Aaron Hernandez is dead and it's not like Paterno who lived a good long life before a sad ending. I vote Hernandez. 

I look at it more from a legacy standpoint. In that way it's Paterno.

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Earth to people, you have a bunch of drug addicts, gambler and an enabler on there. 

OJ and Hernandez actually "killed" multiple innocent people. However OJ was a MUCH bigger star and he actually killed the mother of his children. 

Seems like a separate discussion.  The concept of the fall from grace to me suggests what we are considering is their position at the top of the sports world relative to how far they fell, not which of them are the worst people.

If we are discussing the worst people, you are spot on. 

12 minutes ago, HessStation said:

OJ was loved, and murdered people.

Joe P was loved, and covered up for people having sex with kids.  There's no real winner here, just what's worse to you, murder or covering up long term child molestation. 

16 minutes ago, HessStation said:

8 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

I look at it more from a legacy standpoint. In that way it's Paterno.

Legacy standpoint:

How dare you shake hands with that murderer!

Madam, with all due respect, that murderer had over 11,000 yards rushing. 

it should be noted that Tiger Woods didn't really have a huge fall from grace. He has 79 career Tourney wins and 14 masters. He's rich as sh*t and his latest incident was a guy who had too many pain pills after a back surgery, not drunk or partying etc whatever.

Basically the guy got divorced from a hot woman but compared to these others he didn't fall at all. 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it should be noted that Tiger Woods didn't really have a huge fall from grace. He has 79 career Tourney wins and 14 masters. He's rich as sh*t and his latest incident was a guy who had too many pain pills after a back surgery, not drunk or partying etc whatever.

Basically the guy got divorced from a hot woman but compared to these others he didn't fall at all. 

More like he lived it up after his father Geppetto died. 

Nobody really gave a sh*t about Hernandez. He had no legacy. He was a scumbag nobody.

OJ was Nordberg, jumping over Suitcases at LAX in the 1970s when there weren't many black guys in commercials. OJ was a star and a HOF'er.

And then he murdered two people in his home. Captured the entire Media cycle for a year.

Paterno was more of a sad, pathetic end.

OJ.

22 minutes ago, bitonti said:

He still has a pile of money,some nice houses and cars and hot women lined up to meet him.Even the love of his children, which is no small thing.  A prescription drug problem, if you have been outside lately, is as common as a cold. And hopefully it can be solved. His problem is he is surrounded by people dependent on him for $ who will not tell him"NO", at least for now. 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Saw a list of folks in the sports world who had huge falls from grace and wondered who JetNation saw as having the worst/most embarassing end to their legacy.

I say Joe Paterno for what he allowed to go on at Penn State.

Thoughts?

the big difference is that paterno let slimeballs like sandusky get away with things whereas the other guys all did it to themselves. paterno certainly had much greater stature than any of those guys too.

39 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Seems like a separate discussion.  The concept of the fall from grace to me suggests what we are considering is their position at the top of the sports world relative to how far they fell, not which of them are the worst people.

If we are discussing the worst people, you are spot on. 

Disagree. The crime should be considered when factoring in depth of fall. 

39 minutes ago, chirorob said:

OJ was loved, and murdered people.

Joe P was loved, and covered up for people having sex with kids.  There's no real winner here, just what's worse to you, murder or covering up long term child molestation. 

I just don't know the extent to which he was involved. When put like that I actually consider Joe P's worse. I didn't follow it all closely enough but it never seemed like his involvement was clear. It's a little tricky.

as a side note, in a debate nobody wins I do personally consider child molestation an even more heinous crime than murder, as awkward that was to even try and process. 

I may stand corrected on my initial premise. You make a good point.

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I just don't know the extent to which he was involved. When put like that I actually consider Joe P's worse. I didn't follow it all closely enough but it never seemed like his involvement was clear. It's a little tricky.

as a side note, in a debate nobody wins I do personally consider child molestation an even more heinous crime than murder, as awkward that was to even try and process. 

I may stand corrected on my initial premise. You make a good point.

You know, it's weird.  OJ probably became more famous from this trial than he did his playing career or acting career.  And during the trial, he had half the country on his side.  So, while the murders should have been his fall from grace, it really wasnt.  He won and a huge part of the country celebrated the victory.  His real fall from grace was what came after, not being able to get his life together and doing all the stupid sh*t that finally put him in jail.  Which isnt all that uncommon from other former players/celebrities when you think about it. 

That said, I'd put Joe Pa's fall from grace over him because of who he was and what he was enabling.  To be a leader of young men and revered the way he was to the point they raised a statute, all the while letting your buddy rape kids is unbelievable really. He was supposed to be building their character as men first, giving them direction in life, being their parents at college and make them Football players next.  Meanwhile he let his buddy rape kids for decades.  That's unreal.  

OJ was just a celebrity who had very little social significance other than being an entertainer.  Sure, what he did was scummy but really, who the **** was OJ other than a good Football player and funny actor? 

I'd say OJ from the list above.

This is kind of like a year or so ago.  Saw people debating a similar type of thing on social media.  Premise was putting yourself back into the 1980s and determining what you would find to be more shocking at that time - OJ a murderer, Bruce Jenner a woman or Bill Cosby a serial rapist.  I went with Cosby.  

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

You know, it's weird.  OJ probably became more famous from this trial than he did his playing career or acting career.  And during the trial, he had half the country on his side.  So, while the murders should have been his fall from grace, it really wasnt.  He won and a huge part of the country celebrated the victory.  His real fall from grace was what came after, not being able to get his life together and doing all the stupid sh*t that finally put him in jail.  Which isnt all that uncommon from other former players/celebrities when you think about it. 

That said, I'd put Joe Pa's fall from grace over him because of who he was and what he was enabling.  To be a leader of young men and revered the way he was to the point they raised a statute, all the while letting your buddy rape kids is unbelievable really. He was supposed to be building their character as men first, giving them direction in life, being their parents at college and make them Football players next.  Meanwhile he let his buddy rape kids for decades.  That's unreal.  

OJ was just a celebrity who had very little social significance other than being an entertainer.  Sure, what he did was scummy but really, who the **** was OJ other than a good Football player and funny actor? 

Have to agree. I change my mind.

1. Paterno

2. OJ

3. Hernandez 

Archived