Jets’ Wilkerson Sounds Delusional About Defense

JetNation

IMG_3567.jpg

The New York Jets locker room may have been located in the state of California yesterday, but judging by comments made by defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson after the game, it would appear the Jets locker room, or at least Wilkerson, is in a state of denial.

On a day in which head coach Todd Bowles watched his defense get beat on the ground and through the air to the tune of 410 total yards (180 on the ground) and 45 points, Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reported that Wilkerson responded to questions about the team’s performance by saying that the defensive line “responded really good” to being called out by Bowles after a lackluster performance in Buffalo one week before.

Muhammad-Wilkerson-1-300x224.jpg

Through the season’s first two games, Mo Wilkerson has 4 tackles and no sacks.

Yes, you read that right.  Muhammad Wilkerson, who has been invisible through the season’s first two games despite an $18 million a year contract, feels that the team’s defensive line responded well to criticism for under-performing in the team’s season opener.

Aside from playing a huge role in being gashed for 180 yards on the ground, how many sacks did the defensive line produce, you ask?  Zero.

How often was Derek Carr pressured?  Well, we counted one on a play that saw Wilkerson go unblocked, but other than that, you’d be generous to say they came away with a half-dozen.

Todd Bowles was thought to have entered this season on solid footing as long as his team played hard every Sunday and looked prepared.  We’re only two games in, but if this team is going to continue to play like this, Bowles can ill afford to have players like Wilkerson (or anyone else) saying that the team bounced back or “responded really good” from giving up half as many points the week before.

Time for a reality check, Mo.  This team didn’t play well at all.  Minus a handful of individual players, the defense was a complete mess.  If it doesn’t get better soon, Wilkerson may not be in a state of denial next season, but he certainly won’t be playing his home games in the state of New Jersey.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
-FNnCvNypGY

Click here to read the full story...

44 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Carr 23-28, 3tds, 0 Ints, 0 Sacks. Oakland RBs averaged 6.7 YPC with 3 Rushing TDs. If that is responding well, I don't want to know what will happen when they have an off week. 

Exactly.  I know Carr has a quick release and all, but there wasn't even a sign of a lineman looking to break through the O-line if he'd held on to the ball a bit longer.

2 hours ago, JetNation said:

How often was Derek Carr pressured?  Well, we counted one on a play that saw Wilkerson go unblocked, but other than that, you’d be generous to say they came away with a half-dozen.

There's only one way to stop Mo - have someone try to block him.

Well, what do you expect when the gang leader calls his team out after a 25 point loss with blistering statements like this

"We might have grown as a team with this loss," Bowles told reporters. "The guys started believing in each other and they played hard. We just can't have mistakes here and there."

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Well, what do you expect when the gang leader calls his team out after a 25 point loss with blistering statements like this

"We might have grown as a team with this loss," Bowles told reporters. "The guys started believing in each other and they played hard. We just can't have mistakes here and there."

He didn't finish the sentence.  The mistakes were here, there and everywhere.  (credit: Lennon, McCartney).

I'm not so sure his problems aren't as much or more injuries as they are jaking it after signing a big contract. He was a good hard working player before that. But then he broke his leg and he's never been the same since. So my problem with the Jets was signing a guy coming off of an injury like that. 

Here's the deal. These guys go through mandatory seminars on what to say, how to say it etc. some don't necessarily listen. Some do. Mo is doing what anyone with half an brain would do who's making a sh*t ton money doing something he has no interest in doing. As bad as you want him to just tell everybody the truth that he doesn't give two sh*ts he's rich with other priorities, he's gonna toe the line, ride the wave and just blurt out a typical, positive-like comment.

3 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Here's the deal. These guys go through mandatory seminars on what to say, how to say it etc. some don't necessarily listen. Some do. Mo is doing what anyone with half an brain would do who's making a sh*t ton money doing something he has no interest in doing. As bad as you want him to just tell everybody the truth that he doesn't give two sh*ts he's rich with other priorities, he's gonna toe the line, ride the wave and just blurt out a typical, positive-like comment.

What do you figure Bowles excuse for this is after the Jets have given up almost 400 yards rushing in 2 weeks?

“Oh, it was different this time,” Bowles said. “They were jumping out of gaps in Buffalo. I was pleased with the front seven this time. Some of the young guys played young at times and gave up some plays, but for the most part, the interior lines up front, I thought they were where they were supposed to be.”

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

IMG_3567.jpg

The New York Jets locker room may have been located in the state of California yesterday, but judging by comments made by defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson after the game, it would appear the Jets locker room, or at least Wilkerson, is in a state of denial.

On a day in which head coach Todd Bowles watched his defense get beat on the ground and through the air to the tune of 410 total yards (180 on the ground) and 45 points, Rich Cimini of ESPN New York reported that Wilkerson responded to questions about the team’s performance by saying that the defensive line “responded really good” to being called out by Bowles after a lackluster performance in Buffalo one week before.

Muhammad-Wilkerson-1-300x224.jpg

Through the season’s first two games, Mo Wilkerson has 4 tackles and no sacks.

Yes, you read that right.  Muhammad Wilkerson, who has been invisible through the season’s first two games despite an $18 million a year contract, feels that the team’s defensive line responded well to criticism for under-performing in the team’s season opener.

Aside from playing a huge role in being gashed for 180 yards on the ground, how many sacks did the defensive line produce, you ask?  Zero.

Todd Bowles was thought to have entered this season on solid footing as long as his team played hard every Sunday and looked prepared.  We’re only two games in, but if this team is going to continue to play like this, Bowles can ill afford to have players like Wilkerson (or anyone else) saying that the team bounced back or “responded really good” from giving up half as many points the week before.

Time for a reality check, Mo.  This team didn’t play well at all.  Minus a handful of individual players, the defense was a complete mess.  If it doesn’t get better soon, Wilkerson may not be in a state of denial next season, but he certainly won’t be playing his home games in the state of New Jersey.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

-FNnCvNypGY

Click here to read the full story...

I think he has a clause in his contract that states if he stays positive he gets an additional 1 mill.

2 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

"Todd Bowles was thought to have entered this season on solid footing" WTF is this BS?

There was no playoff mandate and the owner knows this team doesn't have enough talent to win.  All Bowles had to do to keep his job was to show up prepared and get his teamto play hard, and he'd be back.

Looks like even that was too much to ask.

15 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Super Slouch, lets see what he deliveries up week 3, first home game. This guy does not care, nor gives a sh*t who knows it. I whish we'd have a coach like Bill B, imagine if he tried that up at Foxbrough.

They would have traded him 2-3 years ago for a 2nd round pick

On 9/18/2017 at 1:30 PM, AFJF said:

Exactly.  I know Carr has a quick release and all, but there wasn't even a sign of a lineman looking to break through the O-line if he'd held on to the ball a bit longer.

OK, you are aware that Oakland's left side of the line are all Pro Bowlers, right?

1 minute ago, GKnight83 said:

OK, you are aware that Oakland's left side of the line are all Pro Bowlers, right?

Yes, I do.  I also realize that the Jets have multiple first-rounders on the D-line, to include Mo, who is paid enough to be expected to beat Pro Bowlers from time to time.

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yes, I do.  I also realize that the Jets have multiple first-rounders on the D-line, to include Mo, who is paid enough to be expected to beat Pro Bowlers from time to time.

Wilkerson quit playing football the moment Macc gave him his payday.  What a jerk.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Multiple meaning 2. One of which is on the side of the 3 All Pros.  Not to mention the other 3 All Pros on the Raider offense.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

People are still defending Wilkerson?  Which apologist are you CanadaSteve or Jet Nut?

I am not defending MW.  I am simply saying I think you are over critical in this case.  Now if you want to talk about Jet players that absolutely suck let us talk about Qvale, Ijalawa and Peake.

3 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Multiple meaning 2. One of which is on the side of the 3 All Pros.  Not to mention the other 3 All Pros on the Raider offense.

He makes 18 mil per season.  I'm done making excuses for him, but others can carry on if they see fit.

7 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

I am not defending MW.  I am simply saying I think you are over critical in this case.  Now if you want to talk about Jet players that absolutely suck let us talk about Qvale, Ijalawa and Peake.

Which one of those two Jags are making JJ Watt money? - Also if he continued on his current rate, will have zero sacks and 32 tackles. 

17 minutes ago, GKnight83 said:

Dude are kidding me? Defending this guy is just plain tired. The man is delusional to the point of idiocy. Time to cut bait with this guy after the season and move on.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:52 PM, AFJF said:

Mo is out of his mind to say they responded well to Bowles' challenge.  WTF do you do with a guy who makes this much and averages 2 tackles per game and provides zero pressure?

that's like $560,000 per tackle.

Archived