How Appealing is Jets likely Head Coach Vacancy? Not Very

flgreen

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the premise will be moot since most likely Idzik is gone also

Gone as GM yes but knowing Woody he might do a job change like he did when Bradway went from GM to scouting.. I hear the Janitorial staff needs help at the facility.. And Idzik is good at picking sh_t..

Yes all of these jobs are attractive. No one is disputing that. the statement was how appealing is the Jets, compared to these other teams. If there are 10 jobs open, as USAtoday (or whoever) speculates, the Jets are probably in the bottom third. I don't see how this is an unfair statement. 

We want a good candidate right? One who presumably has options?

Or do we want someone who is just happy to get any HC job? 

I think the differences are a lot smaller than any "list" would imply.  Coaches will decide on a variety of personal questions.  For example, yes, the Giants have Eli, who has won 2 superbowls.  But a lot more will be expected of any Giants coach.  And you'll be working with more veterans.  Here, much more young guys.  Some coaches might prefer the former, some might prefer the latter.  It's much more of a personal / individual decision, that can't just be summed up in a list.

Gone as GM yes but knowing Woody he might do a job change like he did when Bradway went from GM to scouting.. I hear the Janitorial staff needs help at the facility.. And Idzik is good at picking sh_t..

hah hah- at least he is good at something

:hand:

It's one of 32 NFL head coaching jobs. The only one that is potentially more attractive than the others is Pittsburgh because you're pretty much guaranteed to have that job for at least a decade. 

This works both ways. A top candidate who can choose is aware that they may only get one shot to be a head coach. They may not want to coach a dumpster fire of a team with a GM who hasn't shown the ability to bring in talent as their only shot. There's been plenty of history of coordinators and college HCs turning down jobs to wait for a more attractive opportunity. See: Browns, Cleveland last season.

This works both ways. A top candidate who can choose is aware that they may only get one shot to be a head coach. They may not want to coach a dumpster fire of a team with a GM who hasn't shown the ability to bring in talent as their only shot. There's been plenty of history of coordinators and college HCs turning down jobs to wait for a more attractive opportunity. See: Browns, Cleveland last season.

You seem to not comprehend the meaning of the word "only."

Even Edwards and Mangini got 2nd chances????

No, I'd totally entrust my life's dream--the one I spent decades chasing, from coaching at a backwater high school, then moving on to be an unpaid intern at a small college program, then finally getting that shot to make $17k as an assistant linebacker coach, then networking my way into a major college job where I latch on to a coach who gets me an NFL gig where I spend eight years working 133 hours per week cutting up video--to the whims of Woody Johnson and his MBA-wielding crew of sycophants. That's definitely what I'd do.

So Derek Carr is now some kind of established commodity???  When did this

happen???  Give me a break

When Jim Harbaugh is named the Raiders coach next year, Derek Carr is going to be a big reason why that was possible. They just have to upgrade the talent around him.( 80 million in cap space and high draft picks in every round). They have the money to get a Suh, Iupati , Julio Thomas, and Torrey Smith.

the jets HC gig is a launching pad for TV jobs

it's not as bad as people think.  all owners are rich douchebags, all teams have roster issues.  all jobs have pressure.  all open jobs are because the team is a mess and has a bad reputation and no QB

it's an easy sell to an egomaniac who thinks he is the best out there

"if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere"

woody may have to give someone total control and a huge paycheck

I don't think he's up for that

When Jim Harbaugh is named the Raiders coach next year, Derek Carr is going to be a big reason why that was possible. They just have to upgrade the talent around him.( 80 million in cap space and high draft picks in every round). They have the money to get a Suh, Iupati , Julio Thomas, and Torrey Smith.

80 million? Lol, try 52 million plus how many players are FAs?

Jets are at 40 million but David Harris is set to make something like 13 million which ain't happening.

Depends on the GM. If Idzik Is Still here, not a lot. And a lot will depend on the draft pick we get. Pull in a top QB and a top coach may give it a shot. Stay at 6 and ehhh..... We should offer Harbaugh power ovef,everthing. That's about as good as it gets.

The Coach will be hired well before we sign or daft anyone this offseason.

Can someone educate me on the Harbaugh situation, because I haven't really paid it any attention.

Why, exactly, is a Coach with his record being kicked out of San Fran?  Is it by the team or by Harbaugh, and more importantly, WHY?

I've never heard of a guy with his record of success in such a hurry to abandon it/be kicked out, so whats the story here?

Which explains why its the most densely populated part of the country. :hand:

They live here because they were born here, not moved here.  Just look at the #of congressional seats in 1960 and 50 years later.  NY had  43 seats, they now have 35% less at 27 seats. I guess everyone is flocking here to live.

The Coach will be hired well before we sign or daft anyone this offseason.

Can someone educate me on the Harbaugh situation, because I haven't really paid it any attention.

Why, exactly, is a Coach with his record being kicked out of San Fran? Is it by the team or by Harbaugh, and more importantly, WHY?

I've never heard of a guy with his record of success in such a hurry to abandon it/be kicked out, so whats the story here?

Well. We are talking about a guy who who won the national championship. Righ

They live here because they were born here, not moved here.  Just look at the #of congressional seats in 1960 and 50 years later.  NY had  43 seats, they now have 35% less at 27 seats. I guess everyone is flocking here to live.

Wow. You're one of the special people. 

In 1940, New York state had a population of 13,179,142. In 2010, New York State had a population of 19,378,102.

That's a more than 50% INCREASE. New Jersey's population more than doubled in that time frame from just over 4 million to about 8.5 million.

Not all of those people were born there. That's ridiculous.

The reason New York has fewer seats in congress in spite of it's population growth is because other parts of the country grew at a higher rate and there are two more states now than there were in 1940. 

Depends on the GM. If Idzik Is Still here, not a lot. And a lot will depend on the draft pick we get. Pull in a top QB and a top coach may give it a shot. Stay at 6 and ehhh..... We should offer Harbaugh power ovef,everthing. That's about as good as it gets.

If Idzik is still the GM I would run away from the Jets job.

80 million? Lol, try 52 million plus how many players are FAs?

Jets are at 40 million but David Harris is set to make something like 13 million which ain't happening.

Let's see 7- 10 million rolls over from left over cap this year. That's 60 million . Now subtract Matt Schaub 5.5 million , Lamaar Woodley 5.3 million, Antonio Smith 4 million, Justin Tuck( 5 million only one might stay but depends on what defense Harbaugh wants to run - if it's 3-4 defense he doesn't have a role. Tyvon Branch - probably will list him as June 1 cut 4-5 million , Mjd 2.5 million Nick Roach ( might have to retire 2.3 million)= 25.3. 60 million plus 25.3 = 85 plus. Just say 80 million .

really only freeagents will be C Woodson can still play ( 3 million) and S Wisniewski( might let him walk and if that happens look with their second round pick they don't take Cameron Erving - Florida St as his replacement.

could see next year Raiders Oline look like this Lt Donald penn Lg Mike iupati( Harbaugh brings him with him) c Cameron Erving RG Gabe Jackson Rt Austin Howard/ M Watson

There's only one huge negative to this job. One thing that will scare off coaches from coming here.

That one thing is John Idzik.

No one good is coming here to work with a roster that this sh!tbag assembles. No one worth a damn is coming here if the guy hiring them is likely to be fired in a year.

Everything else mentioned in the article is b.s.

Idzik is the only thing that makes the job toxic. Woody will be making a huge mistake if he doesn't fire this guy.

There's only one huge negative to this job. One thing that will scare off coaches from coming here.

That one thing is John Idzik.

No one good is coming here to work with a roster that this sh!tbag assembles. No one worth a damn is coming here if the guy hiring them is likely to be fired in a year.

Everything else mentioned in the article is b.s.

Idzik is the only thing that makes the job toxic. Woody will be making a huge mistake if he doesn't fire this guy.

You guys remember when Dave Caldwell turned down the Jets GM job because of Idzik?

Solid defense in place (weak at the CB position), top NFL rushing attack, high draft pick, 40 mil in free agent money, NY spotlight.... Yes, very unappealing.

Solid defense in place????

LB's are old, slow and soft. The secondary is the worst in the NFL.

Three down lineman do not constitute a "solid" defense.

This is why that win last Sunday was so frustrating. If this was a young team like the Raiders or Jaguars with some FO/HC pieces in place I can get the morale boost of a win. Both the coaching and GM jobs for a franchise that is in need of a complete overhaul, is constantly criticized by the media, and has an owner who doesn't seem to have any clue of what direction to take things in, cannot be appealing.

The two selling points that the Jets potentially had were cap space and a really high draft pick with an opportunity to bring in a franchise QB. Obviously from a HC perspective, the Jets could use an offensive mind for a change. That side of the football is atrocious and needs some focus. Coaches know they might get one shot at a head coaching job - what solid offensive mind is going to want to use that shot to come here and try to mold one of Geno Smith, some middling FA QB (Jake Locker), and a third round draft pick into an NFL caliber QB?

So ultimately the Jets get a plan C or D candidate who, shockingly, will not have success. Because he's coming into a poor situation that nobody decent would choose to come into, and isn't nearly good enough to make things better.

If they had the draft pick, maybe there was enough appeal for someone good to take this job. I would have had some hope. Now? I'd be stunned if they land any of the candidates we want. And the cycle will just continue.

The benefit to losing that game wasn't entirely about being in a position to draft a quarterback. It were about what the opportunity to draft a quarterback might have meant for finding someone to help lead this franchise in the right direction. And with the sixth overall pick, some cap space, Mo Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, and what - maybe Nick Mangold? - as the selling points, I'm not going to hold my breath for them to get that done.

Solid defense in place????

LB's are old, slow and soft. The secondary is the worst in the NFL.

Three down lineman do not constitute a "solid" defense.

The Jets rank #6 in total defense right now..... and that's with the "worst secondary in the NFL". Which it's not the secondary that is the worst in the NFL, it's the cornerback position, which has been completely decimated by injuries and undervalued by the GM.

The D is an easy fix. Sign one or two NFL caliber starting cornerbacks (will probably have to replace Calvin Pace) this defense is set.

You're a Pats fan and it's easy to pick on the Jets, but the defense as a whole is solid and not the problem here.

Archived