OC Greg Roman, new Buffalo Bill. It's official

Greenseed4

Greg Roman - C - Bills

Bills hired Greg Roman as their offensive coordinator.

It's a lateral move for Roman, who spent the last four seasons in charge of the 49ers' offense. During that time, he went to three NFC Championship Games and one Super Bowl, although the offense ranked 20th, 24th, 11th and 26th in total offense. Colin Kaepernick also regressed in 2014. Roman will have a ton of responsibility as the OC for exclusively defensive-minded head coach Rex Ryan, but also has his work cut out for him with E.J. Manuel leading the Bills' horrid quarterback situation.

Say what you will, but this is actually a great pairing for Rex.  

While it's better than Tony Sparano, the guy took a loaded SF offense and saw it get worse. I don't see this as the big OC hire that Rex needs. This is just another friend of his who he hired and can throw under the bus in a few seasons when Manuel is still awful and the Bills are tanking.

I don't know what happened in SF this year but Roman took a HUGE step back.  Think

about the offensive weapons he had:

Kaepernick

Gore

Hyde

Davis

Crabtree

Boldin

Johnson

And they were awful.  At one point I wanted him to be a Jet HC candidate but something

went terribly wrong

Roman is the cause of the Bills sucking.  Just say it right now.  Not Rex's fault he is not being given 2 hof corners, but it is the OC's fault he has Manuel at QB.  Bills just need to learn this Rexapologist mantra early.

Agreed, disgusting how Whaley is saddling Rex with this clown

I don't know what happened in SF this year but Roman took a HUGE step back. Think

Kaepernick

Gore

Hyde

Davis

Crabtree

Boldin

Johnson

And they were awful. At one point I wanted him to be a Jet HC candidate but something

went terribly wrong

Agree fully.

I thought he was a great OC, but the shine came off that this year. Thought his use of extra linemen and unbalanced formations was great.

Rex, Roman, and Schwartz? Damn. 

Bright side is that they still only have EJ Manuel and will sit at 8-8/9-7 until they change that.

I believe one of the requirements for Rex Ryan superbowl trophy collection domination was in fact top tier coordinators on both sides of the ball. Now he just needs a top 10 QB, weaponz, 1st round picks at every position on defense, dominate offensive line, running backs, etc..... 

I believe one of the requirements for Rex Ryan superbowl trophy collection domination was in fact top tier coordinators on both sides of the ball. Now he just needs a top 10 QB, weaponz, 1st round picks at every position on defense, dominate offensive line, running backs, etc.....

Don't forget three Hall of Fame corners! His system won't work without them!

Right, an OC that couldn't get his offense to perform well enough to win a SB despite having a top 3 defense every year. Not to mention a young QB regressing under the watchful eye of Roman. Sounds familiar?

Kaep is a young QB that can single-handedly win or lose games.

What I saw from the team perspective, was a commitment to the OL, commitment to the running game (Gore, Hunter, Lattimore...and they still drafted Carlos Hyde), and signing a wealth of WRs (Boldin, Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd...and they were still drafting WRs).  

Philosophy wise, Ryan just got a coordinator who's going to be focused on the run, first and foremost.  That fits that team well. 

Rex- Greg, you are aware of the most ingenious invention in football over the last 10 years right?

Greg- You mean instant replay, and the challenge rule, right?

Rex- No, no no! That is just one of those superfluous things that is there to distract head coaches, like when to use a time out. I am talking the WILDCAT! It is freaking amazing. Watch this video of what Tim Tebow and what he did to my defense. Isn't that something?

Greg- You do know that you had Eric Smith and Jim Leonard as your safeties, right?

Rex- I know, I know. They were brilliant. Imagine how they could have out schemed me? We will need more of this wildcat thing. Friggin Sparano and Marty never got it right.

Right, an OC that couldn't get his offense to perform well enough to win a SB despite having a top 3 defense every year. Not to mention a young QB regressing under the watchful eye of Roman. Sounds familiar?

Roman sounds like a closet ground and pounder.  Rex's kind of guy.

Kaep is a young QB that can single-handedly win or lose games.

What I saw from the team perspective, was a commitment to the OL, commitment to the running game (Gore, Hunter, Lattimore...and they still drafted Carlos Hyde), and signing a wealth of WRs (Boldin, Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Brandon Lloyd...and they were still drafting WRs).  

Philosophy wise, Ryan just got a coordinator who's going to be focused on the run, first and foremost.  That fits that team well. 

Yup.  They will give up 16 points a game.  And score 14.

I don't know what happened in SF this year but Roman took a HUGE step back.  Think

Kaepernick

Gore

Hyde

Davis

Crabtree

Boldin

Johnson

And they were awful.  At one point I wanted him to be a Jet HC candidate but something

went terribly wrong

Rex doesnt care....   He brought in Tebow, Sporano and runs the wildcat.

Rex- Greg, you are aware of the most ingenious invention in football over the last 10 years right?

Greg- You mean instant replay, and the challenge rule, right?

Rex- No, no no! That is just one of those superfluous things that is there to distract head coaches, like when to use a time out. I am talking the WILDCAT! It is freaking amazing. Watch this video of what Tim Tebow and what he did to my defense. Isn't that something?

Greg- You do know that you had Eric Smith and Jim Leonard as your safeties, right?

Rex- I know, I know. They were brilliant. Imagine how they could have out schemed me? We will need more of this wildcat thing. Friggin Sparano and Marty never got it right.

When Edelman threw that game winning TD yesterday I was thinking that..LOL

Kaepernick

Gore

Hyde

Davis

Crabtree

Boldin

Johnson

went terribly wrong

What weapons?

Kaepernick is a mediocre one-read QB.

Gore was a fantastic RB, future hall of famer. 'was' being the operative word. He is done.

Hyde is a rookie, looked really good but still learning.

Vernon Davis had the worst season of his career.

Crabtree hasn't been the same player since coming back from his achilles tear. He also dropped a million passes this year

Boldin is a stud. I'll give you that one.

Johnson and Lloyd hardly saw the field

The wheels came off once defenses adjusted to the gimmicky pistol offense that carried them to the Superbowl. Kaepernick's lack of improvement is what salted away their hopes of being a dominant team, not sure if that regression can be attributed entirely to Greg Roman.

Archived