Manziel In Rehab

KRL

Can't stand him as a player. He's probably not a bad person though. Too much vitriol IMO. HE JUST TURNED 22 YEARS OLD. Most of you guys on here were probably something like that at that age. And if you say no, then you're either lying or very boring.

Your right but heck my first job out of school was with a big insurance company paying 17k a year. With such a crappy job who gave a sh!t if I pulled all nighters St Paddys day and walked into work sweating it out. Now if someone offered me millions well I would do whatever it took. JF was given an opportunity in life very few get and he is pissing on it like a fool. Hope he turns his life around.

There's a 12 step program for being a ****head?

yes, they all kind of mesh together and encompass it all, drinking, doing drugs, being an idiot who probably wastes a lot of money gambling-sounds like a weekend partying down at A.C., it's easy too, instead of going back to the apartment, just have your buddies drop you off at a detox facility on Sunday night/Monday morning. In a seriousness, it has to be really hard to try and stay sober when money is NOT an issue, unless you go the Josh Hamilton route  and not let yourself carry around any more than 20 bucks at a time

I agree - I have come into contact with "the program" at different levels several times throughout my life.  I vary between being a hard ass and an understanding confidant with my family members who have been through it, so I do feel a little bad about my initial post.

I hope Manziel does get the help he needs.  Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike this morning  and he is keeping Manziel and Gordon in his prayers.  I think that is awesome.  He seems like a sort of "internal sponsor" among NFL athletes and I respect the sincerity with which he seems to live the program.

Why I don't feel totally bad about my post is that Manziel's personality is not, as I see it, a reflection of his need for sobriety.  His need for sobriety is a reflection of his personality.  

He's still probably going to be a ****head when he exits rehab, just a sober one.  It will take him years and years in the program, and working it well, to mature to the point where I would say he'd be an ok guy to have around in the NFL locker room or in any other discipline.  I hope that it happens for him as a human first.  His football career will hopefully take care of itself once he handles that.

Can't stand him as a player. He's probably not a bad person though. Too much vitriol IMO. HE JUST TURNED 22 YEARS OLD. Most of you guys on here were probably something like that at that age. And if you say no, then you're either lying or very boring.

I was, but I was able to present a different view of myself when I went to work.

Guy will be washed out of the league in under 5 years, bank it.

Maybe less. I heard a story that on the day he missed his rehab assignment when they went to pick him up he was still trashed. Also, he rubbed off in a bad way on Josh Gordon who was on 'probation' and is now suspended for a full year. What a team leader old Johnny is eh? Washed up already. 

Doesn't mean we can't criticize him.  You don't see Teddy Bridgewater pulling any of the sh*t he's pulled, at least not in the public spotlight.  I'm pulling for Josh Gordon to turn his life around more than I'm pulling for Manziel.

Least surprising story in years.

Guy will be washed out of the league in under 5 years, bank it.

I met a Texas A&M coach in Houston and asked him about Johnnie. He told me that Johnny came from big money and never really listened to anybody at A&M. Said that he needed to sit for a few years to even have a chance at the NFL level.

I agree - I have come into contact with "the program" at different levels several times throughout my life.  I vary between being a hard ass and an understanding confidant with my family members who have been through it, so I do feel a little bad about my initial post.

I hope Manziel does get the help he needs.  Chris Carter was on Mike and Mike this morning  and he is keeping Manziel and Gordon in his prayers.  I think that is awesome.  He seems like a sort of "internal sponsor" among NFL athletes and I respect the sincerity with which he seems to live the program.

Why I don't feel totally bad about my post is that Manziel's personality is not, as I see it, a reflection of his need for sobriety.  His need for sobriety is a reflection of his personality.  

He's still probably going to be a ****head when he exits rehab, just a sober one.  It will take him years and years in the program, and working it well, to mature to the point where I would say he'd be an ok guy to have around in the NFL locker room or in any other discipline.  I hope that it happens for him as a human first.  His football career will hopefully take care of itself once he handles that.

I don't think you don't need to feel bad about calling a dickhead a dickhead - there's no shortage of them and they aren't fun to be around nor have as key members of your sports teams.

I too was cheering for somebody's front 4 to acquaint him with a hospital bed and perhaps teach him some respect that he obviously didn't learn up to this point in his life. 

Not in any way sticking up for him, but the kid was done no favors by any of the authority figures in his life be they the parents or coaches who enabled the little twerp into thinking that rubbing his money fingers together was acceptable behavior. 

But as a human being - a couple of things are reality. If he is truly addicted to alcohol and or drugs - his problem is now way more complex than being a common everyday dickhead with large media exposure. His problem is not dying at an early age from diseases that can kill you dead and sometimes, in certain circumstances, take others with you. 

I wish him all the success in the world with getting the help necessary to kick the demons he has.

From my experience, it may not take years of work to get him turned around into an asset as a team leader and a good locker room guy. It can (and should) be the product of hard work on his recovery and a little luck in getting him guided the right way.    

99.9% of people dont enter rehab at the age of 22 and clean up there act. For most, this is the 1st step in a long road of sobriety, relapse, sobriety, relapse rinse/repeat.

A 22 year old kid making millions who hasnt come close to hitting rock bottom has almost no chance of beating this disease at this stage of his life.

I wish him well but anyone familiar w/ this disease knows the drill. Good luck Johnny. Your not alone.

99.9% of people dont enter rehab at the age of 22 and clean up there act. For most, this is the 1st step in a long road of sobriety, relapse, sobriety, relapse rinse/repeat.

A 22 year old kid making millions who hasnt come close to hitting rock bottom has almost no chance of beating this disease at this stage of his life.

I wish him well but anyone familiar w/ this disease knows the drill. Good luck Johnny. Your not alone.

Can't find any fault in your post.  Well said.  Good luck to the kid.

I was reading about Derrick Brooks offering to mentor Winston if Tampa drafts him. And I thought.... along the lines of buy low and sell high...

What about trading for Manziel, like maybe a conditional 5th rounder or something like that and getting Curtis Martin to take him under his wing?

Problem is, Manziel sucks, so who cares if Martin mentors him?  He cant make him a better QB.  At least Winston has a shot at being an NFL QB and his problems arent alcohol/drug related.  He's just a complete and utter moron.  Big difference. 

He has an arm, he's mobile... He had something special in college. Obviously playing well in college doesn't always translate to the big time.... But what's his big on the field issue? Do we think he just can't handle the speed of the NFL, or is he too dumb to read them?

My only big issue is his size, but Brees and Wilson make it work.

No offense but I hate the Brees argument. The guy's going to the HOF. 

manzeil is a party boy version of Tim Tebow. Great college player, sh*tty NFLer. 

He has an arm, he's mobile... He had something special in college. Obviously playing well in college doesn't always translate to the big time.... But what's his big on the field issue? Do we think he just can't handle the speed of the NFL, or is he too dumb to read them?

It's actually a talent mismatch being corrected issue.  

Manziel played with basically first round pick caliber offensive line his entire time with A & M.  So he always had a protected pocket for the most part, and a decent amount of the pressure he saw was when teams were pulling stunts and blitzes, and he could go just go against the side the blitz was coming from because his OL rarely fell apart on both sides.  So he could sit there and dance all he wanted because teams knew they couldn't get much pressure without blitzes.  Blitzes open up lanes as well to run, so teams had to commit spies to Manziel to account for his running ability on certain plays and situations, which further helped him out.  Coupled with outstanding WR in Evans, and highly recruited guys across the board, and he had a talent mismatch even in the SEC.  

Then you throw in the Air Raid system, which makes it much easier for QBs to pass, and now we're talking major regression.   The Browns OL wasn't that bad last year, but teams and players hide their blitzes better in the NFL, and he couldn't read it for his life.  He also has a very mediocre arm for deep passes, while he gets distance on the ball, it's very much like a lob or a high arching basketball shot.   It'll be generally on target, but allows the defenders to get underneath it as well, which didn't matter in college when Mike Evans and others could out maneuver the CB, but not the case with Hawkins/Miles/Gordon a step slow.  He doesn't have the arm to drive it into certain spots, and LBs can chase him down in the NFL, so no need for a spy in the middle.  

Lastly on the field, he has an arrogant attitude when it comes to playing.  I like to call it the JR Smith syndrome.  He's not good enough to be a stud player, but in his minds thinks he's a superstar in the making, so he takes risks that his skills can't execute.  Instead of throwing a ball away, he'll try to throw it across his body over the middle, which works great if you have a rocket arm like Rodgers or Kapernick, but not when you float it out there with a jump pass.  

I really don't think he's going to amount to much at all.  His family is already rich, he's already rich from the endorsements and contract, and he loves the party lifestyle.  I don't see him as someoe that's going to put any effort whatsoever out there to become a stud.  He's well versed in the media, and pretty sure he has some talented PR people working for him, so he'll say the right things, but I doubt he has much responsibility at all.  

Guys like Wilson/Brees were way more talented.  Wilson has a much better arm, incredibly better accuracy, and can read defenses really well.  Brees was just amazing in college, played with absolute garbage at Purdue and still made them competitive.  Both of these guys had to fight to even get a chance in the NFL or college, had to prove over and over again that they belonged.  Manziel didn't, he wasn't a better prospect than either of them coming out of college, yet still went in the first round.   

Only an idiot would tie their rookie GM/HC career to this guy. It is beyond anything I can pretend to understand why people are talking about trading for a tiny QB that is in rehab. Especially when everyone that has come in contact with him as an NFL player says he in no way takes the job seriously or shows signs of maturing to be able to. We just watched Brady, who I hate, win the SB. The guy built his entire legacy on having the right mindset as a pro. 

Lots of QB had something special in college but nothing Manziel does translates to the NFL.  Even though it was a small sample size, he looked completely lost on the field.  Terrible accuracy, terrible arm, terrible mechanics, zero feel for the game.  The kid is a disaster.

Brees was a pocket passer in college.  Wilson is an incredible athlete.  2 completely different players.  Not really valid comparisons other than size. 

That was the only comparison I was making. I was speaking specifically on his frame being a little small by NFL standards. He's nothing like either of them in any way. Much more mobile than Wilson, and zero similarities to Breesus's game.

But again, this is where the buy low thing comes in. Unfortunately I admit this will bring Tebow comparisons and the media will have a field day. Being in the spot light in NYC makes things much harder for us compared to teams that are in small media markets. Limits options.

Much more mobile than Wilson?  Interesting.  Dont see how.  Wilson runs with purpose effectively, whereas Manziel runs scared with no purpose. Wilson was a top 20 rusher in the NFL this season. He was a more effective runner than Ivory.  More yards, just as many TD's, better ypc, more ypg. Wilson is the best running QB I've seen since Mike Vick.

Manziel would be a disaster here and not worth it any way shape or form. 

people are talking about it because its a Jets message board, its the offseason and we haven't had a franchise caliber QB in 40 years.... it's all about no stone unturned. Never said he was a slam dunk, but I don't think he is the steaming pile of garbage everyone is making him out to be.

Serious question, did you watch any of his games as a pro? He's awful. And dare I say, Geno is better.

He played like 7 or 8 quarters didn't he? He's an NFL bust after less than 100 snaps?

I didn't see the games, just the low lights... And the more I think about it Manziel in NY is just way too much of a circus to work. But I havent written that kid off in the NFL yet.

That being said, if Winston slips to 6 somehow maybe we steal The Bucs idea and have Curtis Martin mentor Winston here.

I've been dead set against Winston, but I am obsessed with this idea of a former franchise player coming back to help in this way. Martin is one of the few respected former members of this organization.

Sure, he didn't play a lot. 

He also couldn't beat out Hoyer, who is a 3rd tier QB like it or not, in camp

so he's a bust after 8 quarters? or you simply don't want him here?.. which I agree with.

Again, yes he hasn't played much. But I knew he was sh*t coming out of college. His game, size, and effort, or lack there of, won't work in the NFL.

He played like 7 or 8 quarters didn't he? He's an NFL bust after less than 100 snaps?

I didn't see the games, just the low lights... And the more I think about it Manziel in NY is just way too much of a circus to work. But I havent written that kid off in the NFL yet.

That being said, if Winston slips to 6 somehow maybe we steal The Bucs idea and have Curtis Martin mentor Winston here.

I've been dead set against Winston, but I am obsessed with this idea of a former franchise player coming back to help in this way. Martin is one of the few respected former members of this organization.

I want Winston, but you don't think he will  be a circus in NY?

Better idea.  Trade for Manziel, and have Namath show him all the cool clubs in NYC

Archived