Rex Ryan regrets his playoff guarantee.... LOL!

32EBoozer

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPWYzMzA3NDAxYjE3Y2FjNzU5M2MyNTlmZDg0MGVhMjY5Getty Images

Nearly a year ago, Rex Ryan arrived as the head coach of the Bills, and he instantly guaranteed an end to the team’s long playoff drought.

The run of futility continues, and on Monday the head coach expressed regret regarding his decision to make a guarantee on which his team failed to deliver.

“We just didn’t produce the wins I thought we would,” Ryan told WGR 550 radio in Buffalo, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “The thing that kind of gives this team a black eye when we’re looking at it, is that I let my mouth get ahead of everything. And I think if I would have come in there and just said, ‘Hey, we’re gonna compete’ and do all that stuff, maybe we wouldn’t have such a bad feeling about this team.”

PFT recently brought back some of the comments from Ryan’s introductory press conference, which created expectations that the team was unable to satisfy.

“I know it’s been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs,” Ryan said. “Well get ready, man, we’re going. We are going. . . . My message to our team is to get ready. Start preparing now. Start preparing that we’re going to be playing games in January.”

He also called the team’s defensive performance in 2014 (fourth overall) “disappointing,” and he vowed that the Bills would have the best defense in the league.

He was wrong on both counts, and he has proven once again the importance of managing expectations.

The next question becomes whether Ryan will simply say, “Hey, we’re gonna compete” when it’s time to start talking about 2016 — or whether he’ll once again yield to the temptation to grab a bat and point to the fence before inevitably hitting a popup that barely clears the infield.

I saw this on the Bills fan site and I just said this guy doesn't get this after a half a dozen years as a HC!!!!

Ok then..........

Rewind back to his Jets days.  When Tanny was fired and Idzik hired we got the new, quiet less bold Rex.  

Followed by the whining that he was silenced against his will and set up to be fired.  And of course that he had to go back to being himself.  

Never learns

He made a similar declaration to change after Tomlinson called him out a few years ago....he's a joke , he won't change this is just more media manipulation to buy him time ...get the dogs off him until he can talk the owners into firing the GM. Rex is a sniveling snake in the grass.

I'm a little mad at myself that I couldn't see through all this guys bull sh*t because of the exciting start to his tenure.  Those were some of the best years as a Jets fan for me.

Now, it's very easy to see how his antics impact everything that happens with a team.

Glad to be wrong.  I love Bowles and his demeanor.  He's learned from some early mistakes and has this team cruising.

good riddance 

I'm a little mad at myself that I couldn't see through all this guys bull sh*t because of the exciting start to his tenure.  Those were some of the best years as a Jets fan for me.

Now, it's very easy to see how his antics impact everything that happens with a team.

Glad to be wrong.  I love Bowles and his demeanor.  He's learned from some early mistakes and has this team cruising.

good riddance 

Bowles was birthed from the Parcells coaching Tree.

Rex was aborted from the Buddy Ryan's coaching Swamp.... the Dead Marshes from Lord of the Rings.

That's all we need to know.

good riddance 

I think many of us were happy to be winning and relevant again - and as Rex had just taken over he got the credit, whether it happened because of him or in spite of him.

What started to get to me was the constant and continued ill discipline - the dumb penalties, lack of communication, breakdown of fundamentals like tackling. And funnily enough, that seems to have followed him to Buffalo ...

I think many of us were happy to be winning and relevant again - and as Rex had just taken over he got the credit, whether it happened because of him or in spite of him.

What started to get to me was the constant and continued ill discipline - the dumb penalties, lack of communication, breakdown of fundamentals like tackling. And funnily enough, that seems to have followed him to Buffalo ...

Well Rex did say he was what he was, what you see is what you get.

undiciplined, little attention to detail.  When he can bludgeon you things go well.  Get into a technical battle, not so much.

He made a similar declaration to change after Tomlinson called him out a few years ago....he's a joke , he won't change this is just more media manipulation to buy him time ...get the dogs off him until he can talk the owners into firing the GM. Rex is a sniveling snake in the grass.

He did an interview with Bart Scott and he stated " You know me Bart, what you see is what you get... I aint never gonna change".

FU REX.

Well, he sold a lot of tickets, didn't he? They broke their record for season ticket sales. The guy is a fraud, but he's a heck of a salesman.

One year wonder though.

He's not selling any tickets next year if he's around.

Cant sell or coach.

If Rex lasts four seasons, the Bills fans will be complaining about the same old crap as they are this season. Seriously. As I recall, in our first meeting he actually wasted a timeout by challenging the spot of the ball. The Bills also had a 15 yd pass play negated by a dumb penalty. Sound familiar to anyone? 

If Rex lasts four seasons, the Bills fans will be complaining about the same old crap as they are this season. Seriously. As I recall, in our first meeting he actually wasted a timeout by challenging the spot of the ball. The Bills also had a 15 yd pass play negated by a dumb penalty. Sound familiar to anyone? 

Unless the Bills make the playoffs next year, Rex will be fired.

He did an interview with Bart Scott and he stated " You know me Bart, what you see is what you get... I aint never gonna change".

FU REX.

The only people who think refusing to change is a badge of honor are thugs, criminals, and the insane.

I regret having to watch this clown destroy my favorite team for several years.

Don't get me wrong as I'm very happy that Rex is in this franchise's rear view mirror.  However, we did get to 2 AFC title games during his tenure.  It could be argued he had the most successful coaching stint this franchise has seen since Weeb Ewbank.

And for those who are praising Bowles, remember that he too is taking over the team from the prior regime.  So just like some criticize Rex for winning w/ Mangini's team, let's not forget Bowles is in year 1.

That said, I am a fan of Bowles/Maccagnan and happy w/ the direction this franchise is heading.

cD05ODdlNmNhY2MwMjRlZWQzNTJhM2ViYTQ1Y2VlY2YzOCZnPWYzMzA3NDAxYjE3Y2FjNzU5M2MyNTlmZDg0MGVhMjY5Getty Images

Nearly a year ago, Rex Ryan arrived as the head coach of the Bills, and he instantly guaranteed an end to the team’s long playoff drought.

The run of futility continues, and on Monday the head coach expressed regret regarding his decision to make a guarantee on which his team failed to deliver.

“We just didn’t produce the wins I thought we would,” Ryan told WGR 550 radio in Buffalo, via Mike Rodak of ESPN.com. “The thing that kind of gives this team a black eye when we’re looking at it, is that I let my mouth get ahead of everything. And I think if I would have come in there and just said, ‘Hey, we’re gonna compete’ and do all that stuff, maybe we wouldn’t have such a bad feeling about this team.”

PFT recently brought back some of the comments from Ryan’s introductory press conference, which created expectations that the team was unable to satisfy.

“I know it’s been 15 years since the Bills made the playoffs,” Ryan said. “Well get ready, man, we’re going. We are going. . . . My message to our team is to get ready. Start preparing now. Start preparing that we’re going to be playing games in January.”

He also called the team’s defensive performance in 2014 (fourth overall) “disappointing,” and he vowed that the Bills would have the best defense in the league.

He was wrong on both counts, and he has proven once again the importance of managing expectations.

The next question becomes whether Ryan will simply say, “Hey, we’re gonna compete” when it’s time to start talking about 2016 — or whether he’ll once again yield to the temptation to grab a bat and point to the fence before inevitably hitting a popup that barely clears the infield.

He must've meant the ONE game on January 3rd.  haha

Archived