Richardson trade question for forum

UnknownJetFan

Link below shown Trading for 2017 NFL year starts at 4PM on 3/9/17:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000765416/article/national-football-league-important-dates-for-2017

March 9 -- Trading period for 2017 begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2016 contracts.

Article below shown Richardson's 2017 salary is guarenteed the same day I assume probably the same time at 4pm. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-jets-want-to-trade-richardson/

Richardson will receive a guarantee of $8.069 million when the league year starts, on March 9.

I know a trade partner would have to pay this money right at a trade time, but can the Jets trade him to anyone for whatever they get without paying that money and letting the trade partner pay the guarenteed 8.069M or is that unachieveable?. 

Well, if the worst think that happens is if we can't trade him prior to this years draft then let him walk in 2018 and get the comp pick for him though it may not be a 3rd rounder if he is signed for a not so high price. May only be a 4th rounder. We need to hopefully get someone to bite on a 3rd rounder now and cut our losses. This guy is nothing but trouble for us on so many avenues, i.e we have too many DEs for a 3-4, he adversely affects the locker room, he is 1 strike away from a long suspension, etc. If they have to keep him in 2017 they are going to have use 4-3 fronts much more with Richardson playing the 3-technique. Oddly if we can had these coaches on D get it, Richardson can certainly be a poor man's Warren Sapp at the 3-technique in a 4-3. Not sure how to run the LBs though, but certainly the MLB can be Harris and Jenkins can definiely be the SSLB. The WSLB can be split between Mauldin and Lee and Lee can even play some Strong Safety down in the box since he is light at ~230 lbs. I just wish we can sometimes understand how to use our personnel and stop trying to fix square pegs in round holes. How dumb is it to have a 3-4 DE at 300lbs (Richardson) at OLB?.  

He's a steal at that price, the question is, is he part of problem or part of the solution?

This team lacks leadership.

With all the noise that we heard last season, most people think that he's a troublemaker. But that's only half of the story for we don't really know what happened behind the scenes. I myself, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If management decide to keep this guy, it's because they think he's part of the solution.

I think the answer to your specific question is - his salary is guaranteed at that time.  But he doesn't get paid anything then.  IOW, we could certainly trade him without having to pay him anything.  The other team would assume the salary guarantee.  And his salary would count against their cap, not ours.

10 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

He's a steal at that price, the question is, is he part of problem or part of the solution?

This team lacks leadership.

With all the noise that we heard last season, most people think that he's a troublemaker. But that's only half of the story for we don't really know what happened behind the scenes. I myself, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If management decide to keep this guy, it's because they think he's part of the solution.

the team lacks a decent head coach who shouldlet the players know he's in charge and demand 110% all the time. 

15 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

If they can't trade him for a decent pick I see nothing wrong with letting him play it out. Who knows? Playing for a big payday just might motivate him to have a big year.

Yep, if they can get a 3rd or 4th, take it. He should be worth a 3rd as he is relatively inexpensive. We can give back a 4th/5th if he is suspended or doesn't extend for the team that trades for him.

If not, we let him play out the year. If he walks and signs, he should be worth a 3rd or 4th as a compensatory pick (which is why we might be able to get a 3rd on a trade).

Why not keep him? The Jets need to get creative here and use him at MLB like Kirkland was for the Steelers all those years. He must at least be as fast as Harris. 

He is clearly to slow for the edge and they have dropped him into coverage at times in the past. Just a thought

I think we are going to get burned in a trade to get rid of richardson and free up cap room I think we will end up getting something like a fifth rounder for him. He is a great player but he comes with some baggage and teams know we need the cap space they will take advantage of us.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I don't know much about defensive schemes so don't jump down my throat but wouldn't it make more sense to run a 4-3 having all 3 of these guys (Sheldon,Wilk and Williams) on the line together?

Yeah, but the coaching staff is stubborn in their ways.... Like most coaching staffs. Phil Jackson is still trying to make the triangle offense work with melo....

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Keep him, let him

play hard for us next year

If he does that and then leaves, the Jets get a comp pick but have not built anything.  if he actually helps the team win a few games that is a lower draft pick.  he is not taking the Jets next year to the playoffs.

Comp picks are at the end of the round.  This is a very deep draft.  A third round comp pick comes in 2018 after the entire third round is done, and that is if they even get a 3rd round pick.  Could be lower depending on the contract he signs.

So if a team will pay the Jets a third round pick in 1-32 of Round 3 of the 2017 Draft the Jets should take that and run.

If the Cowboys were offering a 2nd round pick for SR last year, Macc not taking it was very foolish.

It is tough to see it making sense for the Jets to make an investment in SR.  But you can see how a team that is close, who can use SR as a difference maker, should take a shot at him.  The Cowboys, Falcons and maybe Broncos are possibilities.

Denver and Seattle have multiple third round picks. Both defenses would benefit from a solid DT like Richardson, who is guaranteed to be the best defensive player available at the end of the third round. 

I really think he nets us (at LEAST) two third round picks. 

imo sheldon can certainly be a force for the jets.  his issue has always been what he does off season.  this past season it sounds like he disrupted the jets locker room to the extent that there was active animosity between the offense and defense. it sounds like sheldon was the ring leader along with pryor and geno.  there's also no telling how marshall played a role in stirring things up.

the bottom line is if the team can't harness his spirit for the good of the team then he has to be launched.  and if he's not the only one then they need to be launched too.  call it idzik's revenge.

8 hours ago, SR24 said:

I don't know much about defensive schemes so don't jump down my throat but wouldn't it make more sense to run a 4-3 having all 3 of these guys (Sheldon,Wilk and Williams) on the line together?

No, it wouldn't because all 3 are essentially DTs. They're all super-talented, but that is the problem with this poorly thought-out roster: they are ill-suited to all play together at the same time, except on obvious rushing downs (where one might actually want 4 fat-bodies lined across). To run an effective 4-3 that can really pressure and get to the passer with any consistency they need smaller, quicker DEs that could run around a tackle 1-on-1, than our 300-lb bodied run-stuffers that would get to the passer faster by running through the tackle or swim-moving him.

Doesn't need to be a featherweight 250-lb'er but there's a lot of in between that and the 300-320 lb "ends" on our line. Hell, they'll need at least one like that, and on the other side is a bigger but not enormous lineman (think J.Abe on the right side and Ellis on the left), and our huge guys would then play inside. It's too easy for a QB to roll outside against us as we watched Mo sucking air, trying to chase down a QB he outweighs by 100 lbs. They did try this and we watched this happen plenty. 

Our line is simply too slow with those 3, plus a 4th playing nose.

full article:  http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/66947/subtracting-sheldon-richardson-would-be-addition-for-jets-d-line

Money matters: The Jets have a ridiculous amount of money invested in the line, especially when you consider they play a 3-4 base front. Wilkerson, Richardson and Williams are counting a combined $31.2 million on the cap. It means close to 20 percent of the team's resources is devoted to three players who play basically the same position. By the way, Richardson's salary (the amount of his fifth-year option) becomes fully guaranteed on March 9. 

13 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

If they can't trade him for a decent pick I see nothing wrong with letting him play it out. Who knows? Playing for a big payday just might motivate him to have a big year.

leading to a 3rd, 4th or 5th Comp pick depending on the money the new team gives him and whether or not we lose more UFA than acquire.  Granted, comp picks aren't guaranteed, so getting a 3rd for him now is safer.  Still I think he is worth more so I'd keep him around.  

Count me as one who does not think off the field issues, which Richardson certainly has, makes him automatically a locker room problem.   There's some evidence he is that, but one shouldn't overrate that as an issue.

And there has to be some level of compensation for him as part of a trade that is simply too low.

Still, I think most here get that the FO has put themselves into a bad position with Wilkerson's contract and Williams probably the best player on the team right now.  Richardson does not fit into that, not well, anyway.

Hard to be optimistic about this situation.  The Jets should probably have moved him last year if they really intended to keep Wilk.  What likely happened was they were not aggressive enough with Richardson's situation because they didn't know they were going to reach a deal with Wilkerson.  In other words, the FO misplayed that one.

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

leading to a 3rd, 4th or 5th Comp pick depending on the money the new team gives him and whether or not we lose more UFA than acquire.  Granted, comp picks aren't guaranteed, so getting a 3rd for him now is safer.  Still I think he is worth more so I'd keep him around.  

It is not just that.  A 3rd this year is generally considered like a 2nd next.  The rule I don't know is with the 5th year option - if the team does not exercise it, does the player count for comp picks?  If we rescind the offer would he count for comp picks?  Cut players don't.  

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It is not just that.  A 3rd this year is generally considered like a 2nd next.  The rule I don't know is with the 5th year option - if the team does not exercise it, does the player count for comp picks?  If we rescind the offer would he count for comp picks?  Cut players don't.  

expiring contract and declining an option is NOT a cut.  Remember when New England declined to pick up Revis' 2nd year option?  Well they got a 3rd round comp pick from that even though everyone knew it would be a one year visit.  Same this year for Fitzpatrick.  If some team were to sign Fitzpatrick for $8 million or more, we could potentially get a low comp pick for that bum.  But we know that won't happen. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

expiring contract and declining an option is NOT a cut.  Remember when New England declined to pick up Revis' 2nd year option?  Well they got a 3rd round comp pick from that even though everyone knew it would be a one year visit.  Same this year for Fitzpatrick.  If some team were to sign Fitzpatrick for $8 million or more, we could potentially get a low comp pick for that bum.  But we know that won't happen. 

Right, but I thought we already picked up Richardson's the option.  Can we rescind it?  If we do, does that still be like we never picked up the option?  They stupidly accepted it on Coples, only to cut him mid-season.  We can place some of that blame on the changing coach/GM.  Everybody thinks they can make something out of the other guy's bust.  If rescinding it isn't the same as not picking up the option, did we intelligently wait until the last minute?

The Jets are totally pooched when it comes to Richardson and there is nothing they can do about it.

He's a distracting moron character wise and is close to being suspended long term.

However he is smart enough to see Mo wilk and understand that if he has a great year this year he gets paid.

If the Jets traded him for a pick he will have a huge year and the Jets will look like idiots.

If they keep him he will have a huge year and then all the pressure will be on resigning him  (This idea that we will let him have a near pro bowl year and then let him walk is hilarious, 3/4 of the board will be hollering for him to be paid and kept.)

The year after he has paid and gotten his guaranteed money he will get suspended or loaf around and be back to ShelDum.

As far as people saying keep him and build the D around him?  The only way this could happen is if in the same breath you demand that Bowles be fired because Bowles has ZERO clue how to play Williams, Wilk and Richardson at the same time.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay with the gun and the weed, but my Dad drove 100 with me in the car dozens of times.  He was a great Dad.  Hell, I still have the car 40 years later. 

If he got caught going 100 Id still be annoyed but its way more understanding. I doubt your dad would have gone dark and turned off the lights to avoid the police.

Archived