How can anyone still defend Macagnan?

Philc1

Just now, Philc1 said:

Good teams don't hire people like Mike Macagnan and Todd Bowles to run their organization.  With your amazing logic Kotite would have gotten at least another 3 years and we never hire Parcells.

you still didnt answer it........distraction doesnt work....he said good teams dont fire their coach and gm every 3 years, you responded he was wrong and provided a list.....now provide the list of the good teams that fire their coach and gm every 3 years. 

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

We're rebuilding so the first two drafts don't count

Also don't forget that Hack is basically a rookie. And his progress is fantastic for a rookie, basically a savant that's tracking at pro bowl level.

Also, most GM's in rebuid mode would've traded back last draft and acquired multiple assets. Not Macc, he stood still and took that once in a generation safety that has been the difference-maker we so desperately needed.

Let's bottom line it....Macc is on point and we're lucky to have him.

9 minutes ago, Pac said:

Actually what's impossibly stupid is thinking you, Dbuttman, and TomSham wouldn't whine when that's all you've done for the last 10 years.

Unfortunately, verbalizing your distaste with the Jets moves over the past decade has an exceptionally high correlation with being right over the past decade.

25 minutes ago, Pac said:

after the first game in their 3rd year?  Stupid

The issue is that you don't rebuild with tiny linebackers and 2 safeties.  You need to address the meaningful positions: OT, QB, pass rush, WR.   These are the positions that  Macc has neglected for 3 years.   

what has macc done to make you confident that he can lead a rebuild?   Next year we take QB 1st and then rather than address OL or WR we are going to here about value when taking the best available DL with the next 3 picks.  

The guy clearly doesn't have a cohesive plan and is just making random uncoordinated moves. 

Defend Macc for what?

The team did awesome today!  We out-tanked another tanking team for the loss.

The better question is, how can anyone be upset with Macc today?

If we had won the game, then yeah, I absolutely would have been pissed.  But we lost.  So everyone be happy.

Came in, spent a lot of money we had and just missed the playoffs by a game.  Instead of trying to fix holes like every other GM we have had, he blew up the roster and we are in position to be a top pick in a what seems to be a good QB draft.  Plus we have a lot of money to spend again.  I know, sounds better than it is.

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Yeah we shouldn't whine that we have a totally clueless regime making this team a mockery

So you would rather we blew a bunch of cap room and traded away some draft picks so we could be good enough to win 7-8 games and look "respectable".  Then once again miss out on good qb's in next years draft?   

You are the problem bro, you and all fans like you.  

1 hour ago, Pac said:

these threads are going to be painful this year..  fans have been whining and crying for a rebuild for 20 years and when they get one they're shocked the team doesn't look great.

and already concluding that this years draft class (or last years for that matter) is a bust is impossibly stupid.

Arguing the wrong issue. Unless you're one of those fans that rah rah want the Jets to win this year, there are a lot of people clearly on board for tanking for a chance at an elite qb. Mac sucking at roster construction, making draft picks, or negotiating trades for the most part are what people are upset about.

the jets have gazillion needs at positions you only really find elite talent in via the top end of the draft (qb, olb/de pass rushers, #1 corner, #1 receiver, LT) and not a ton of assets or even a real plan to fill them all in the next 2-3 years at earliest. Guess we'll really have to wait for the gm's 5 year plan to come to fruition huh.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Deshone Kizer and Deshaun Watson for starters 

Did you watch Watson today? The Oline was pretty awful, to be fair, but so was Watson. If he, you, or anyone else thinks he going to do that running around Johnny Manzeil/Mike Vick-style "scrambling' crap that I saw in the 4th quarter and be a successful QB in the NFL then you're all insane. 

14 minutes ago, jetrider said:

Macc didn't punt with 4:00 left down by two scores

He does the same thing every time. 

What exactly does Bowles do besides make sure no one does anything bold that might get second guessed? 

He doesn't run the offense or the defense. He doesn't yell at anyone or encourage anyone.

The only thing he has to do is make these kinds of decisions as far as I know. That and set the depth chart. 

So basically he's just there to make sure no one ever gets excited. 

I guess you're right. Morton wouldn't be any good at that. 

32 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes I'm blame Macc for not starting Petty instead of McCown, or Forte over Powell. Every loss is good for our future. We don't need to Tank, we have a Bad HC, who makes poor decisions.

It would be a lot more fun, and productive losing with Petty, playing bold football and going down swinging.

We have nothing to lose, so why does it feel like our main objective is not to lose? 

Question: did something happen in this game that was soooooo unexpected that we are ramping up the 'fire Idzik' rant?

I am not defending Mac in the slightest. But, at this point, why either fire him and put an interim in, or get so worked up about it. The Jets suck. Offense sucked (with no talent), defense sucked (even though they shouldn't).

I get being upset with Mac when he trades, or doesn't trade, or signs, or releases. But was today's game such a surprise that it has people getting worked up? Have the crowd is 'suck for sam' and the other half is 'worse gm ever'. At this point, there is nothing left to do but let the season play out. If neither Hack nor Petty become the QB, or if some of the other draft picks fail to step up Mac will be gone at the end of the season. But this time, with the Jets being truly in the basement, a possible franchise QB in the draft and 80 million of cap space, we should have not trouble signing a quality GM if needed.

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Yes I'm blame Macc for not starting Petty instead of McCown, or Forte over Powell. Every loss is good for our future. We don't need to Tank, we have a Bad HC, who makes poor decisions.

Yes. 

Damn Bowles for acquiring McCown with an offer more than double the 2nd-highest offer, in a salary-purge season.

Damn Bowles double for surrendering a compensatory draft pick so he could sign a 30 yr old UFA RB to starter money with 2 years guaranteed, by which time he'll be 32. 

Damn Bowles, making Maccagnan's stellar team-building look terrible.

Bad as Bowles is, I'd love to hear the list of HCs that would be flourishing here.

Archived