Jump to content
CanadaSteve

Petty NOW starting, and the collosal McCown mistake


Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

gjfgjfgjfgjfgjfgjfgjfghlkfgjdgj.jpg

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

Petty would have to be damn near perfect for them to even think of not taking a QB. I'm talking 70 percent with 4 TDs each game no INTs and 400 yards. 

3 games is too small to have any major impact on those kind of plans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sheets and giggles time.

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

It isn't a big enough sample size to truly determine his worth because he didn't get to start from game one, like he should have.  BUT, would it be enough of a sample size that it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

This is why this structure of a GM not having reign over his coach and pushing the decision making is such an EPIC failure.  Petty should have got the first 7 games, and if he stunk, Hackenberg should have got the next 7 games, and if he sucked, McCown should have mopped up.  

Now, we STILL have no idea about Hackenberg, we didn't get enough evidence to either trust or put the final nail in Petty's coffin, and we are out of the top 5 for draft picks.

You can rail on Mac all you want; if he had a plan, but Bowles doesn't have to play the guys to put said plan in effect, it is all for not.

If we are going to fire Bowles, we should fire Mac, but then what Woody should do is fire his system of having coach and GM report to him, and do it the right way where the GM hires the coach, who then plays the players he is given to make the system work.  

Until then, we can copy and paste these posts three more years from now when our next GM and coach 'should be fired.' 

If he plays great against the Saints, Chargers and Pats then yeah, that is a good enough sample to convince me he is a quality NFL QB. Those are 3 of the best teams in the NFL, all desperate to win games to either make the playoffs or get a bye. Petty has all the same weapons Mccown had. 

But it's more than just going 15/20 for 200 yards, 2tds/1int. There are other things I need to see from him before I am ready to abandon my desire for Cousins/Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield etc...  I want to see him go through progressions,  dominate a game, I want to see him lead us on a great 4th quarter comeback etc.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

Better question--

Why are you even postulating such things? 

I could say -- what if Justin Burris has 6 INTs in the next 3 games? Would that change our feelings at CB??.... I don't know! Fckin' maybe?

 

 "Hey! if this guy who always sucks, suddenly stops sucking - how'd that be?"

norm-macdonald.jpg

 

*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering this would be dependent on the next 3 games suddenly being the complete opposite of the 7 Petty's played to date, I have to imagine no one with the team is losing any sleep over it.

In all likelihood, nothing that he does will change their minds about him anyway, that has been made very apparent from both the coaching and personnel sides all along, regardless of what fans think.  They desperately tried to give Hack every chance they could this past offseason/camp/preseason, and he was as horrible as possible.  I'm not sure what reason anyone thinks he deserves a second of time on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

Come on, when has Mac EVER been right about a qb analysis ? Hack was a horrible decision, he was sure McCown would us tank and he couldn’t even get that right ha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sheets and giggles time.

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

It isn't a big enough sample size to truly determine his worth because he didn't get to start from game one, like he should have.  BUT, would it be enough of a sample size that it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

This is why this structure of a GM not having reign over his coach and pushing the decision making is such an EPIC failure.  Petty should have got the first 7 games, and if he stunk, Hackenberg should have got the next 7 games, and if he sucked, McCown should have mopped up.  

Now, we STILL have no idea about Hackenberg, we didn't get enough evidence to either trust or put the final nail in Petty's coffin, and we are out of the top 5 for draft picks.

You can rail on Mac all you want; if he had a plan, but Bowles doesn't have to play the guys to put said plan in effect, it is all for not.

If we are going to fire Bowles, we should fire Mac, but then what Woody should do is fire his system of having coach and GM report to him, and do it the right way where the GM hires the coach, who then plays the players he is given to make the system work.  

Until then, we can copy and paste these posts three more years from now when our next GM and coach 'should be fired.' 

 

You probably have enough information on "lack of" Hackuracy.  He has been on the roster for two years.  He was terrible last pre-season.  He was very bad this pre-season. Woefully inaccurate with seemingly no instincts for the position.  He has been inactive the entire year.   Bowles said he will not play unless Petty is injured.   When has a successful second round QB ever been so far from playing time?

Look at the facts in the case.  The civil court burden of proof is based on a "preponderance of the evidence."  I think the verdict is pretty clear.  You and others just don't want to hear it, or are requiring the criminal court burden of "beyond  a reasonable doubt."

Hack might be quietly released in the off-season to prevent further embarrassment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would take this one step further and say they should throw Hack in for the remaining games or at least split the time giving a half each.

Petty has proven he isnt much. Lets see if Hack has anything. After all he was a 2nd rounder compared to Petty being a 4th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pac said:

This weekends game is going to suck.

At this point the only thing I'm looking forward to is a Hack appearance.  Starting Petty is a waste of time.

 

 

Sorry but Hack is never going to see the field.  He's that bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

It shouldn't tell you this at all. It could easily mean he knew Hackenberg wasn't worthy of 2nd string this year, and if he traded Petty he'd then have to pick up a replacement for Petty. It could also mean the opportunities to trade Petty all involved conditional 7th round picks if Petty became the new team's starter.

You don't have enough information to draw such an inference. You're glossing over the fact that Maccagnan's also the person that brought in and signed McCown when the path was cleared for Petty, and it was indirectly leaked he'd have drafted Trubisky if he was there. A person truly confident in Bryce Petty doesn't do these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, peebag said:

It's obvious that the Mac and Bowles team don't consider either Petty or Hack starting NFL caliber QBs.  

 

Bowles for sure, I think Mac is a weak GM with no authority and the only way he can control bowles is by giving him or not giving him players.

For good or bad I would think Mac would want hackenburg to get some playing time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The part that makes no sense to me is that Petty was asked if he received ANY 1st team reps in practice this year and he tried to soften the answer but it was clearly no. And posters wonder why Petty was completely off timing and throwing to wrong areas when he took the field last week. 

Are you telling me that with a 38 year old QB on a one year contract, you can't give the younger backup QB 3-5 reps in practice? Are those 3 reps really going to change how McCown played, one way or another?

QB's can spend 24/7 in a classroom learning an offence but if they are physically limited to only running the scout team offense, how exactly is that developing a QB for the future? 

Even if we do pick a QB in the 1st round in the draft, is this how the Jets plan on running practice, that they get no reps when McCOwn is inevitably resigned assuming Cousins doesn't come here? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, peebag said:

It's obvious that the Mac and Bowles team don't consider either Petty or Hack starting NFL caliber QBs.  

 

anigif_sub-buzz-23240-1490795901-14.gif?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love how it’s a forgone conclusion that the Jets are taking a QB.  It’s not, like at all and nothing about this class and the Jets draft postion should give you this confidence. 

I’m almost willing to guarantee Macs big board will have a Defender rated above all the available QBs when the Jets pick and he will not deviate from that board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JiF said:

I love how it’s a forgone conclusion that the Jets are taking a QB.  It’s not, like at all and nothing about this class and the Jets draft postion should give you this confidence. 

I’m almost willing to guarantee Macs big board will have a Defender rated above all the available QBs when the Jets pick and he will not deviate from that board.

we'll be taking the best OT on still on the board    :beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

The part that makes no sense to me is that Petty was asked if he received ANY 1st team reps in practice this year and he tried to soften the answer but it was clearly no. And posters wonder why Petty was completely off timing and throwing to wrong areas when he took the field last week. 

Are you telling me that with a 38 year old QB on a one year contract, you can't give the younger backup QB 3-5 reps in practice? Are those 3 reps really going to change how McCown played, one way or another?

QB's can spend 24/7 in a classroom learning an offence but if they are physically limited to only running the scout team offense, how exactly is that developing a QB for the future? 

Even if we do pick a QB in the 1st round in the draft, is this how the Jets plan on running practice, that they get no reps when McCOwn is inevitably resigned assuming Cousins doesn't come here? 

 

don't think I could have said it any better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets and Bowles will not allow Petty to play his game, they will run it 45 times and the oline will be total exposed when it tries to block for any deep passes.

He was 2 of 9, what is his game exactly? lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

The part that makes no sense to me is that Petty was asked if he received ANY 1st team reps in practice this year and he tried to soften the answer but it was clearly no. And posters wonder why Petty was completely off timing and throwing to wrong areas when he took the field last week. 

Are you telling me that with a 38 year old QB on a one year contract, you can't give the younger backup QB 3-5 reps in practice? Are those 3 reps really going to change how McCown played, one way or another?

QB's can spend 24/7 in a classroom learning an offence but if they are physically limited to only running the scout team offense, how exactly is that developing a QB for the future? 

Even if we do pick a QB in the 1st round in the draft, is this how the Jets plan on running practice, that they get no reps when McCOwn is inevitably resigned assuming Cousins doesn't come here? 

 

Do our 2nd team receivers have no legs? Maybe that would explain why Petty was bouncing the ball in front of the starting receivers?

Listen, I am rooting for the kid. He isn't the answer though. Bowles did the right thing playing McCown even though I rooted against that move. The team developed other people (Robby, backup long snapper Tomlinson) and now they know who they need to get rid of (Wesley, starting long snapper).

That kind of data is huge.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

...it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

 

Moot point.  The last draft forecast I saw on TV had the Jets taking a DE with the first round pick.  I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair, but after I got up and dusted myself off I thought "that sounds just about right".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

The part that makes no sense to me is that Petty was asked if he received ANY 1st team reps in practice this year and he tried to soften the answer but it was clearly no. And posters wonder why Petty was completely off timing and throwing to wrong areas when he took the field last week. 

Are you telling me that with a 38 year old QB on a one year contract, you can't give the younger backup QB 3-5 reps in practice? Are those 3 reps really going to change how McCown played, one way or another?

QB's can spend 24/7 in a classroom learning an offence but if they are physically limited to only running the scout team offense, how exactly is that developing a QB for the future? 

Even if we do pick a QB in the 1st round in the draft, is this how the Jets plan on running practice, that they get no reps when McCOwn is inevitably resigned assuming Cousins doesn't come here? 

 

Not to give Petty reps in practice with a 38 year old starter is MADNESS!!

Dumb coaching Period!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×