Petty NOW starting, and the collosal McCown mistake

CanadaSteve

Sheets and giggles time.

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

It isn't a big enough sample size to truly determine his worth because he didn't get to start from game one, like he should have.  BUT, would it be enough of a sample size that it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

This is why this structure of a GM not having reign over his coach and pushing the decision making is such an EPIC failure.  Petty should have got the first 7 games, and if he stunk, Hackenberg should have got the next 7 games, and if he sucked, McCown should have mopped up.  

Now, we STILL have no idea about Hackenberg, we didn't get enough evidence to either trust or put the final nail in Petty's coffin, and we are out of the top 5 for draft picks.

You can rail on Mac all you want; if he had a plan, but Bowles doesn't have to play the guys to put said plan in effect, it is all for not.

If we are going to fire Bowles, we should fire Mac, but then what Woody should do is fire his system of having coach and GM report to him, and do it the right way where the GM hires the coach, who then plays the players he is given to make the system work.  

Until then, we can copy and paste these posts three more years from now when our next GM and coach 'should be fired.' 

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

gjfgjfgjfgjfgjfgjfgjfghlkfgjdgj.jpg

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Joke all you want, but if Petty comes out and lights it up, it has been reported that Mac had opportunities to trade Petty this summer and he wouldn't.  That tells me he has some faith in him.  And if Petty plays REALLY well, causes more friction between Mac and Bowles because Bowles refused to play HIS guy, it could leave Mac thinking he doesn't need to burn a 1st on a QB, but rather bring in another development guy.

I am not saying I want this to happen, but this is why Petty should have played right from the start, to put to bed any doubt or hope, whichever the case may be.

Petty would have to be damn near perfect for them to even think of not taking a QB. I'm talking 70 percent with 4 TDs each game no INTs and 400 yards. 

3 games is too small to have any major impact on those kind of plans.

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sheets and giggles time.

We have three games left.  What if, and that should be capitalized, what if Petty comes out, does not get injured, even after getting hit a few times, throws for 60 percent of his passes, and a TD/INT ratio that is above average? 

It isn't a big enough sample size to truly determine his worth because he didn't get to start from game one, like he should have.  BUT, would it be enough of a sample size that it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

This is why this structure of a GM not having reign over his coach and pushing the decision making is such an EPIC failure.  Petty should have got the first 7 games, and if he stunk, Hackenberg should have got the next 7 games, and if he sucked, McCown should have mopped up.  

Now, we STILL have no idea about Hackenberg, we didn't get enough evidence to either trust or put the final nail in Petty's coffin, and we are out of the top 5 for draft picks.

You can rail on Mac all you want; if he had a plan, but Bowles doesn't have to play the guys to put said plan in effect, it is all for not.

If we are going to fire Bowles, we should fire Mac, but then what Woody should do is fire his system of having coach and GM report to him, and do it the right way where the GM hires the coach, who then plays the players he is given to make the system work.  

Until then, we can copy and paste these posts three more years from now when our next GM and coach 'should be fired.' 

If he plays great against the Saints, Chargers and Pats then yeah, that is a good enough sample to convince me he is a quality NFL QB. Those are 3 of the best teams in the NFL, all desperate to win games to either make the playoffs or get a bye. Petty has all the same weapons Mccown had. 

But it's more than just going 15/20 for 200 yards, 2tds/1int. There are other things I need to see from him before I am ready to abandon my desire for Cousins/Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield etc...  I want to see him go through progressions,  dominate a game, I want to see him lead us on a great 4th quarter comeback etc.. 

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Better question--

Why are you even postulating such things? 

I could say -- what if Justin Burris has 6 INTs in the next 3 games? Would that change our feelings at CB??.... I don't know! Fckin' maybe?

"Hey! if this guy who always sucks, suddenly stops sucking - how'd that be?"

norm-macdonald.jpg

Considering this would be dependent on the next 3 games suddenly being the complete opposite of the 7 Petty's played to date, I have to imagine no one with the team is losing any sleep over it.

In all likelihood, nothing that he does will change their minds about him anyway, that has been made very apparent from both the coaching and personnel sides all along, regardless of what fans think.  They desperately tried to give Hack every chance they could this past offseason/camp/preseason, and he was as horrible as possible.  I'm not sure what reason anyone thinks he deserves a second of time on the field.

48 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Come on, when has Mac EVER been right about a qb analysis ? Hack was a horrible decision, he was sure McCown would us tank and he couldn’t even get that right ha.

46 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sheets and giggles time.

You probably have enough information on "lack of" Hackuracy.  He has been on the roster for two years.  He was terrible last pre-season.  He was very bad this pre-season. Woefully inaccurate with seemingly no instincts for the position.  He has been inactive the entire year.   Bowles said he will not play unless Petty is injured.   When has a successful second round QB ever been so far from playing time?

Look at the facts in the case.  The civil court burden of proof is based on a "preponderance of the evidence."  I think the verdict is pretty clear.  You and others just don't want to hear it, or are requiring the criminal court burden of "beyond  a reasonable doubt."

Hack might be quietly released in the off-season to prevent further embarrassment.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

This weekends game is going to suck.

At this point the only thing I'm looking forward to is a Hack appearance.  Starting Petty is a waste of time.

Sorry but Hack is never going to see the field.  He's that bad.

57 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It shouldn't tell you this at all. It could easily mean he knew Hackenberg wasn't worthy of 2nd string this year, and if he traded Petty he'd then have to pick up a replacement for Petty. It could also mean the opportunities to trade Petty all involved conditional 7th round picks if Petty became the new team's starter.

You don't have enough information to draw such an inference. You're glossing over the fact that Maccagnan's also the person that brought in and signed McCown when the path was cleared for Petty, and it was indirectly leaked he'd have drafted Trubisky if he was there. A person truly confident in Bryce Petty doesn't do these things.

48 minutes ago, peebag said:

It's obvious that the Mac and Bowles team don't consider either Petty or Hack starting NFL caliber QBs.  

Bowles for sure, I think Mac is a weak GM with no authority and the only way he can control bowles is by giving him or not giving him players.

For good or bad I would think Mac would want hackenburg to get some playing time.

The part that makes no sense to me is that Petty was asked if he received ANY 1st team reps in practice this year and he tried to soften the answer but it was clearly no. And posters wonder why Petty was completely off timing and throwing to wrong areas when he took the field last week. 

Are you telling me that with a 38 year old QB on a one year contract, you can't give the younger backup QB 3-5 reps in practice? Are those 3 reps really going to change how McCown played, one way or another?

QB's can spend 24/7 in a classroom learning an offence but if they are physically limited to only running the scout team offense, how exactly is that developing a QB for the future? 

Even if we do pick a QB in the 1st round in the draft, is this how the Jets plan on running practice, that they get no reps when McCOwn is inevitably resigned assuming Cousins doesn't come here? 

I love how it’s a forgone conclusion that the Jets are taking a QB.  It’s not, like at all and nothing about this class and the Jets draft postion should give you this confidence. 

I’m almost willing to guarantee Macs big board will have a Defender rated above all the available QBs when the Jets pick and he will not deviate from that board.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I love how it’s a forgone conclusion that the Jets are taking a QB.  It’s not, like at all and nothing about this class and the Jets draft postion should give you this confidence. 

I’m almost willing to guarantee Macs big board will have a Defender rated above all the available QBs when the Jets pick and he will not deviate from that board.

we'll be taking the best OT on still on the board    :beer:

43 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

The part that makes no sense to me is that Petty was asked if he received ANY 1st team reps in practice this year and he tried to soften the answer but it was clearly no. And posters wonder why Petty was completely off timing and throwing to wrong areas when he took the field last week. 

Are you telling me that with a 38 year old QB on a one year contract, you can't give the younger backup QB 3-5 reps in practice? Are those 3 reps really going to change how McCown played, one way or another?

QB's can spend 24/7 in a classroom learning an offence but if they are physically limited to only running the scout team offense, how exactly is that developing a QB for the future? 

Even if we do pick a QB in the 1st round in the draft, is this how the Jets plan on running practice, that they get no reps when McCOwn is inevitably resigned assuming Cousins doesn't come here? 

don't think I could have said it any better.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets and Bowles will not allow Petty to play his game, they will run it 45 times and the oline will be total exposed when it tries to block for any deep passes.

He was 2 of 9, what is his game exactly? lol.

49 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Do our 2nd team receivers have no legs? Maybe that would explain why Petty was bouncing the ball in front of the starting receivers?

Listen, I am rooting for the kid. He isn't the answer though. Bowles did the right thing playing McCown even though I rooted against that move. The team developed other people (Robby, backup long snapper Tomlinson) and now they know who they need to get rid of (Wesley, starting long snapper).

That kind of data is huge.  :)

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

...it could change the draft philosophy (which it shouldn't), but what if it does?

Moot point.  The last draft forecast I saw on TV had the Jets taking a DE with the first round pick.  I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair, but after I got up and dusted myself off I thought "that sounds just about right".

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Not to give Petty reps in practice with a 38 year old starter is MADNESS!!

Dumb coaching Period!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fire Macc? What...in the actual fuc-...

LOL, Macc has a plan..he drafted these two to see what they have and Bowles undermined the sh*t out of him because of Woody’s stupid chain of command and now Bowles has Macc looking like an ass because he doesn’t know if the guys he picked can even play. That’s all on Bowles. He fell in love with 4 wins and never looked back. You can sit there and tell me “oH, tHe cOaChEs sEe bRyCe eVeRy dAy. hE kNoWs bEst.” No, shut up. He doesn’t know best. He is ignoring any kid who may need to see playing time for proper evaluation because it might meaning losing ..NEWS FLASH..you are losing anyway. Bowles is the idiot that needs to go..not our GM that didn’t even pick this bum himself. I still support Mac even if y’all don’t. He had a plan but it can’t get excuted properly with our mindless HC in charge.

28 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Do our 2nd team receivers have no legs? Maybe that would explain why Petty was bouncing the ball in front of the starting receivers?

Listen, I am rooting for the kid. He isn't the answer though. Bowles did the right thing playing McCown even though I rooted against that move. The team developed other people (Robby, backup long snapper Tomlinson) and now they know who they need to get rid of (Wesley, starting long snapper).

That kind of data is huge.  :)

I don't disagree with you about evaluating other players, I would have preferred starting Petty the beginning of the year and making the change if he fell on his face but that is neither here nor there at this point. I just find it very hard to judge Petty based off of last week when he had to come off the bench cold with 0 practice reps. 

If he performs even close to the same way this week, he's done. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Fire Macc? What...in the actual fuc-...

LOL, Macc has a plan..he drafted these two to see what they have and Bowles undermined the sh*t out of him because of Woody’s stupid chain of command and now Bowles has Macc looking like an ass because he doesn’t know if the guys he picked can even play. That’s all on Bowles. He fell in love with 4 wins and never looked back. You can sit there and tell me “oH, tHe cOaChEs sEe bRyCe eVeRy dAy. hE kNoWs bEst.” No, shut up. He doesn’t know best. He is ignoring any kid who may need to see playing time for proper evaluation because it might meaning losing ..NEWS FLASH..you are losing anyway. Bowles is the idiot that needs to go..not our GM that didn’t even pick this bum himself. I still support Mac even if y’all don’t. He had a plan but it can’t get excuted properly with our mindless HC in charge.

The truth is if Petty plays well; Bowles will be revealed to be incompetent at some level, because no way should Petty be even passable if he was put behind a 38 year old journeyman QB and received absolutely NO first team reps during the season.......

I honestly believe that Bowles was afraid that Petty was going to look good and in order to not undermine his decision to ride McCown he didn't want folks comparing the two during practice and find that despicable. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

If the Jets don't sign a legit FA QB (Cousins) and go into the draft with no starter and do NOT draft a QB in the 1st round, Mac should be fired on the spot.

Archived