B/R's Matt Miller Reports Kirk Cousins Is Deciding Between Vikings and Jets

NYJets8

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sign Cousins, Norwell & Jensen, Gaines & Tyrann Matthieu. Trade from 6 to 3 with Indy & steal the NY boy Sequan from Cleveland who wanted him at #4. 

Now THAT would get the fan base pumped up for September! 

Even Stewart & Hansen could get open with Barkley holding the LBs & Safeties.

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Holy sh*t- this is the first time I’m thinkjng this could actually happen 

think of all the draft flexibility this wohld bring!

I was thinking the same thing. I would seriously be beside myself if the Giants picked someone other than Barkley & Macc traded up to 3 for Barkley. 

Even signing Cousins, the Jets will still have like 40-50 million to fills holes with. You wouldn't have to trade all your picks to move up from 6 to 3. Indy needs more help than the Jets & they don't even know if Luck will ever be the same.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What people are missing here is that Cousins is looking for a three year deal so he can cash in one more time. He’s not going to boost his value over those three years by playing for Todd in the outdoors in the northeast with no receivers and a patchwork line while getting his head kicked in by the Pats and Bills. He’s going to Minnesota to play for titles in a dome throwing to a receiving corps that made Case Keenum look like Bart Starr. The Vikings have a sh*t-ton of money as well and John Defillippo.

The Vikes make more sense for him than the Jets in every possible way except for the money the Jets can afford. If the rumor that he wants a short deal now to cash in again is true, then the Jets make no sense at all. The man wants stability after being in the chaos of Washington, the Jets will not look attractive to him outside of the cash numbers with which they try to hypnotize him. 

What people are missing here is that Cousins is looking for a three year deal so he can cash in one more time. He’s not going to boost his value over those three years by playing for Todd in the outdoors in the northeast with no receivers and a patchwork line whil Ie getting his head kicked in by the Pats and Bills. He’s going to Minnesota to play for titles in a dome throwing to a receiving corps that made Case Keenum look like Bart Starr. The Vikings have a sh*t-ton of money as well and John Defillippo.

That's a good point and that's why he will sign a five-year deal now.

15 minutes ago, slats said:

The Vikes make more sense for him than the Jets in every possible way except for the money the Jets can afford. If the rumor that he wants a short deal now to cash in again is true, then the Jets make no sense at all. The man wants stability after being in the chaos of Washington, the Jets will not look attractive to him outside of the cash numbers with which they try to hypnotize him. 

Plus the cap went up another 10 million so the Vikings can offer even more now.

cousins has bet on himself twice and won twice.  He's about to cash in on this.  And if he really wants to win the last place he's going is the afc east where Brady and bb have a few more years left.  

What people are missing here is that Cousins is looking for a three year deal so he can cash in one more time. He’s not going to boost his value over those three years by playing for Todd in the outdoors in the northeast with no receivers and a patchwork line while getting his head kicked in by the Pats and Bills. He’s going to Minnesota to play for titles in a dome throwing to a receiving corps that made Case Keenum look like Bart Starr. The Vikings have a sh*t-ton of money as well and John Defillippo.

A new OC who hasn't called a game over Bates who Cousins is a fan of and has mentioned that he would like to play for.  In a system suited to him?  Oh wait, its Bowles.  The QB killer who had Fitz and McCowan have their best seasons here.  If he's worried about playing the Bills, or any team. Being outdoors. who wants him?  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

A new OC who hasn't called a game over Bates who Cousins is a fan of and has mentioned that he would like to play for.  In a system suited to him?  Oh wait, its Bowles.  The QB killer who had Fitz and McCowan have their best seasons here.  If he's worried about playing the Bills, or any team. Being outdoors. who wants him?  

Mccown had a career year and we are primed to add a stud RB in the draft (hopefully in the 2nd round), maybe Allen Robinson and a huge upgrade at center via FA. The Vikings are a far more appealing team to play for but the notion that QBs can't excel playing for the Jets is just nonsense as you said, Fitz and Mccown had career years under Bowles. 

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Does anyone think that he'd rather go to a contender in a heavy white Anglo Saxon Christian town for less money, or take more money with the Jets, who still have a lot of pieces to add and reside in Northern NJ near Harold and Kumar? I guess that's what it will boil down to at this point.

Absolutely. It will NOT come down to money. Cousins does his homework and analyzes each teams strengths and weaknesses and will pick the best fit for him and his family. He already has a ton of money. Don't think he would pass up a chance to win right away in a more conservative area than go to NYC and deal with our media. That could prolong his career, which, in turn, makes him more money anyhow. Also, Bowles is out there saying he wants to run the ball. Perfect ploy to scare him away. 

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If the Vikings offer 3 years @ 30 fully guaranteed, then yea, we're likely done. 

But this signing just screams Jets; Bowles gets his vet, Mac gets to go BPA in the draft, both get job security, the Johnsons can sell some tickets peddling that false hope they're so keen on. 

It'd be the most Jets thing ever to roll out the red carpet for Kirk Cousins with 100+ guaranteed dollars.     

I think we're gonna do it.  And oddly enough, I think I'll be happy about it.  We don't have the balls to draft L Jackson and we have enough stupidity to draft Josh Allen.  This might be the best answer that these New York Jets can realistically summon.  

The Jets are only involved IMO because we have the most money to drive the price up. No other reason at all. Use the team with more money to get more money. Classic strategy that will probably work for Cousins. I wish we would just trade up to #3 and draft our own QB and move on. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

492c214750524d7f9947e0d4d7ecdd2d-d32ttoy.jpg

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Even better.

cousins and best qb left at 6.

this is the best plan. Although dummies would argue its not realistic

Go to the Vikings Kirk. You don't want to go 7-9  or 8-8 in this town, with this fan-base. As a matter of fact if you don't throw for 4,000 yards and 35 TD's it won't matter what you do. You will be Twitter crucified by half-wits and malcontents.....and that's just the chicks.

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Chris Cooley weighed in today.  

Pipe dream is over kids.

I think I'd still offer a big contract something like 6 year $150 with $110M guaranteed, the whole point is to get him on the cheap in years 4-6 so why not guarantee the first 4 years? but he'd be silly not to take that offer from the Vikings if it is still true, allows him to cash in twice while being able to chose another team other than the Vikings if their window closes.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Go to the Vikings Kirk. You don't want to go 7-9  or 8-8 in this town, with this fan-base. As a matter of fact if you don't throw for 4,000 yards and 35 TD's it won't matter what you do. You will be Twitter crucified by half-wits and malcontents.....and that's just the chicks.

sh*tzpatrick got 10 wins.  A 30mil QB better be more successful.

Or yeah, he's better off going someplace else.

Let's assume this is right, and it is between the Jets and Vikings.  What would the Jets need to do in Free Agency to make them more attractive.  Remember, there is a three day tampering period and it could all be put together in that time, and not to mention the illegal tampering period that doesn't ever happen.

The Jets need a true number one WR.  Allen Robinson is due to hit Free Agency and is coming off an ACL injury.  What is he going to cost and will he perform to his pre-injury self?  Let's assume that the Jets offer him a contract as a true number #1 for the first year, and an option for future years.  Last year Deandre Hopkins received an AAV of $16 Million, so assume $18 Million this year.  Alshon Jeffery received a one year prove it deal at 9.5 last year, and that would be even better.  

The Jets need a center, and have already been linked to Weston Richburg.  Last year Brandon Lander receive an AAV of $10 Million, so assume $12 Million this year.  

There are rumors, or at the very least talks here, that the Jets should upgrade James Carpenter.  Andrew Norwell could be that guy.  Last year Kevin Zeitler received an AAV of $12 Million, so assume $9 Million (14 Million less cap savings of 5 Million from Carpenter being released or traded)

That reduces this years cap space from roughly $100 Million to $60 Million, but have already completely upgraded the offensive line and added a true #1 WR.

If Cousins were to sign on with the Jets at $30 Million, they would still have $30 Million to upgrade the team with.

Austin Seferian Jenkins is looking for $7 Million per year, and not that I agree with that, assume he gets it.  They are down to $23 Million.

That leaves running back.  What if the Jets attempt to move up to #3 and it cost them #6 and next years 1 to select Saquon Barkley, assuming he doesn't go #1 or #2?  Could that deal be in place if the scenario plays out, and something to entice Cousins?  Perhaps, there is a running back in round 2 or three they could pursue, and take a pass rusher or tackle with #6 (not the point).  The draft pool is around $10 million, and leaves the Jets with $13 Million.  

This a pretty heavy investment into the offense.  Would that give the Jets a little more of an edge, and would it even be worth it?  I used the ranking system from rotoworld (  http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/77018/309/2018-nfl-free-agent-tracker ) and the players used are for discussion.  However, they would make sense for the Jets.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

sh*tzpatrick got 10 wins.  A 30mil QB better be more successful.

Or yeah, he's better off going someplace else.

Well in the first year, with all new guys on offense and maybe defense you think they are magically just going to be humming like a well oiled machine out of Training Camp? Its going to take a little time my friend.

12 minutes ago, Pac said:

I have more faith in a Incarcerated Bob tweet.

That's good for you man.

I've heard the same.

Other reporters around the league have heard the same.

Gil fng Brandt has heard the same.

Now a former player, who played with Kirk, is great friends with Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen, and has probably a million back end connections who are, likely, close to the situation are saying the same.

He's going there.  You wanna be oblivious and stick your head in the sand, so be it.  

5 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

That's good for you man.

I've heard the same.

Other reporters around the league have heard the same.

Gil fng Brandt has heard the same.

Now a former player, who played with Kirk, is great friends with Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen, and has probably a million back end connections who are, likely, close to the situation are saying the same.

He's going there.  You wanna be oblivious and stick your head in the sand, so be it.  

You have inside information? Or just what you e been reading second hand ?

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Are these the new talking points you've instructed your pack of wolves to spread?

I thought the Jets weren't ever in contention yet here they are..  still in the thick of it.

They were never in the thick of it...the Jets are only being tossed around to drive up the price. He has zero interest in joining this squad. 

22 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

You have inside information? Or just what you e been reading second hand ?

Inside. I heard over the weekend that the belief is our offer, which will be strong financially, will not be able beat the Vikings out due to their talent and ability to come pretty close to our "limit" in what we're willing to spend.  It sucks.  No one blames Kirk really.  He's, realistically, making the right choice. 

We're still going to try and convince him, but the fears you've read about are true.  

Archived